Way to miss the point (Wire-related)

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
This is some of the dumbest shit I've read in a long time. Why anyone (and a professional journalist too, it would appear) would even want to put their name to such a poorly-researched, badly-argued and flat-out contrarian-for-the-sake-of it piece like that simply beggars belief. Some of the comments are right on the money, though.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Haha amazing.

The whole "race" paragraph is a terrible look

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    race in The Wire is a background hum rather than a dominating theme.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I found this yesterday

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• Hey she saw the first episode, she's obviously got it all sussed. I don't see what y'alls problem is.

Americans, meet the Guardian: shitty contrarian bullisht hatteury delivered daily.

• TMATTMAT 5 Posts
    Just one person's opinion. BTW, my wife loves the show and she can be quite fem!
    The Wire is really a show with cult status. For it to be a hit would take a miracle. CSI is a hit because its utter bullshit...see the difference?!?

she can be quite fem!

but only every other day, right? the rest of the week you play that role?

lol welcome to the board.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Hilarious. The critic states the Wire appeals to "middle-class, middle-aged white blokes," but then goes on describe all the ways the show can't be understood as a middle-class, middle-aged white guy (as subtext I'd add: from the UK). What a shit piece of writing.

Concentrate: don't be fazed by the slang.

It is misogynistic. All the main characters are men, apart from one woman.

So by this logic, because the cast is also majority black, it's racist.
    Nice try. Plus that statement isn't even true.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    my wife loves the show

Americans, meet the Guardian: shitty contrarian bullisht hatteury delivered daily.

Hey he read one stupid article, he's obviously got it all sussed. I don't see what y'alls problem is.

I read the Guardian all the time. Honestly I think OK! has better news coverage. But if I want to hear the opinions of a bunch of self-righteous pseudo-intellectuals (rather than impartial news coverage), then yeah I fucks with the Guardian.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    race in The Wire is a background hum rather than a dominating theme.

right? she sounds like a Crash fan.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    race in America is a background hum rather than a dominating theme.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Hey he read one stupid article, he's obviously got it all sussed. I don't see what y'alls problem is.

I read the Guardian all the time. Honestly I think OK! has better news coverage. But if I want to hear the opinions of a bunch of self-righteous pseudo-intellectuals (rather than impartial news coverage), then yeah I fucks with the Guardian.

yeah suppose so actually, the news coverage is pretty 2-days-late-and-i-wasn't-there. They have some good comment writers though. and though that article is utter utter nonsense, its mostly in response to the fact that some of their other people relentless plug the wire as the best tv show ever made. It's never been on TV here, and they are streaming the whole first episode free for a while. I can't think of any other national newspaper that would do that. Would any US national do that? Or smaller US paper come to that. Who knows, but I can't really hate on them for it. But that article is dumb.

Thing is, though, it has been on TV over here, since early '04. It's just been stuck away on FX (or FOX289 as it was then), which is neither a Freeview channel, nor one which the big digital/satellite providers carry as part of their basic packages. Hence the reason why a lot of people in the UK are only picking up on it now - there was more UK press coverage for it leading up to Season 4 than there'd been for the previous three seasons combined, plus the DVDs have sold surprisingly well, according to the girl in my local Virgin branch.

As for the Guardian, well, I'm an unapologetic pinko lefty liberal-cum-unreconstructed Bolshevik, and even I find it a bit hard to take nowadays. Plus, I know quite a few freelance journalists, many of whom have written for the Guardian, and the one thing they all say about it is that they pay badly and they pay late. Still, streaming Episode 1 for free was a nice move.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

As for the Guardian, well, I'm an unapologetic pinko lefty liberal-cum-unreconstructed Bolshevik, and even I find it a bit hard to take nowadays.

Yeah I was brought up on the paper and still try to read it but pretty much skip G2 entirely these days for fear of having to ever be exposed to the writing of Lucy Mangan ever again. Their whole columnist section has really lost it's way in the last couple of years - that article's kinda par for the course these days, throwaway dismissals sacrificing real content for desperate attempts at smug humour.

• ameldabeeameldabee 66 Posts
    I suppose the programme is like Shakespeare: you know it's good but do you really want to read the whole of Richard III from beginning to end?

Well, you're not supposing well girlie...
    Plus if something is good, why would you stop (even though that means a bit of effort from your camp, I get her lame point)?
    The whole piece is absolutely nonense anyway...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Plus, I know quite a few freelance journalists, many of whom have written for the Guardian, and the one thing they all say about it is that they pay badly and they pay late.

Yup, as a former Guardian freelance I can say they payed low, late and sometimes not at all. The concept of a spike fee was totally alien to them so they'd commission stuff and if they didn't run it, you'd be out of pocket. The Mail, on the other hand, payed up and payed well. The Mail was full of unscrupulous pinko lefty scribes like me.

Plus, I know quite a few freelance journalists, many of whom have written for the Guardian, and the one thing they all say about it is that they pay badly and they pay late.

Yup, as a former Guardian freelance I can say they payed low, late and sometimes not at all. The concept of a spike fee was totally alien to them so they'd commission stuff and if they didn't run it, you'd be out of pocket. The Mail, on the other hand, payed up and payed well. The Mail was full of unscrupulous pinko lefty scribes like me.

Hahaha! I've heard a few "unscrupulous pinko lefty scribes" say that about The Mail too. Much as it may have gone against their principles to write for The Mail, the principle of actually wanting to be paid for your work tended to be the dominant one.

• ConcourseConcourse 26 Posts
    The worst problem with the Guardian, specifically these daft opinion pieces, seems to me that recruits come almost exclusively from a pool of shmoozy recent Oxbridge graduate networkers, which means all the younger staff write with virtually no life experience, no social awareness outside their own cosy little chum base, all the political sensibility of an amoeba, no personal convictions about anything, barely functioning critical faculties, and (god knows why) a smugly superior attitude. They would rather gush about Big Brother/Lily Allen or dash off some PR-groomed toss about a wack indie band than actually seek out something interesting to cover. It's all fluff, and the "popped out for a latte" idiot responsible for this Wire piece seems to fit the mould comfortably. I used to read it quite a bit, in the abscence of anything else, but not for a long time now because it winds me up too much (can you tell, ha ha). It's nothing more than a provider of piss-easy work for whatever posh hoop-jumping dummies clamber to the top of their old boy network. I won't even start on their heinous music magazine supplement, that was the nail in the coffin.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The worst problem with the Guardian, specifically these daft opinion pieces, seems to me that recruits come almost exclusively from a pool of shmoozy recent Oxbridge graduate networkers, which means all the younger staff write with virtually no life experience, no social awareness outside their own cosy little chum base, all the political sensibility of an amoeba, no personal convictions about anything, barely functioning critical faculties, and (god knows why) a smugly superior attitude. They would rather gush about Big Brother/Lily Allen or dash off some PR-groomed toss about a wack indie band than actually seek out something interesting to cover. It's all fluff, and the "popped out for a latte" idiot responsible for this Wire piece seems to fit the mould comfortably. I used to read it quite a bit, in the abscence of anything else, but not for a long time now because it winds me up too much (can you tell, ha ha). It's nothing more than a provider of piss-easy work for whatever posh hoop-jumping dummies clamber to the top of their old boy network. I won't even start on their heinous music magazine supplement, that was the nail in the coffin.

I hate to say it but you are right. Then again nepotism b/w working for cheap has always been the way of the world when it comes to print journalism. Not so much the Oxbridge network as the sons and daughters of newspaper execs and established hacks. The Guardian can't work out whether it's hip or earnest and the combination of vapid greenhorns and crusty old timers is a mismatch which makes the paper hard to take.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

Charlie Brooker is the only redeeming element of their journalistic output.

• What do ya'll think of this cat?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Younge

Just curious. I think some of his work is okay.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I don't want to read some idiot's misinterpretation of one of the greatest series of all time, so I didn't. But, I want to use this thread to say that I started the series from the beginning again last week and am currently 1/3 into season 2, and this shit is even better the second time around. Season one was so good and I caught a lot of shit I missed the first time. Season two is also really good and I'm catching even more that I missed, and making a lot more connections and even specualting more on season 5 due to new discoveries. It's great. I highly recommend anybody who has seen all four seasons to start over and watch them all again. Totally worth the time investment.

I don't want to read some idiot's misinterpretation of one of the greatest series of all time, so I didn't. But, I want to use this thread to say that I started the series from the beginning again last week and am currently 1/3 into season 2, and this shit is even better the second time around. Season one was so good and I caught a lot of shit I missed the first time. Season two is also really good and I'm catching even more that I missed, and making a lot more connections and even specualting more on season 5 due to new discoveries. It's great. I highly recommend anybody who has seen all four seasons to start over and watch them all again. Totally worth the time investment.

FX in the UK has just begun to re-run the whole thing this week. Watching Episode 1 again was a joy. It seems even richer upon a repeat viewing.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    I just read hand me downs of a friend's subscription to Private Eye to get my dose of UK politics.

I just read hand me downs of a friend's subscription to Private Eye to get my dose of UK politics.

As good a source as any. They may be a shower of Oxbridge-educated posh boys with some strange ideas about women, but they don't take no prisoners over there.

"....white people like the Guardian because it makes the Sun seem like the Mirror..."

What do ya'll think of this cat?

I think he's one of the more readable op-ed writers on the paper. Some of the stuff he's written since moving to the US has been quite interesting. I liked his recent piece on John Amaechi.

There's a guy called John Patterson who writes a fortnightly column on movies, who I think is really good, but then he's a cynical, embittered lefty with similar tastes to mine. A few of the sports writers are good, too - Kevin McCarra, Richard Williams and David Conn - and Marina Hyde can be funny. The music writing is fucking awful, though. They briefly had Sasha Frere-Jones as a guest columnist one week a few months ago, and to be able to read somebody writing in a broadsheet about rap whose frame of reference extended beyond Eminem, Wu-Tang and the last three Outkast albums was like a breath of fresh air.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I think he's one of the more readable op-ed writers on the paper. Some of the stuff he's written since moving to the US has been quite interesting. I liked his recent piece on John Amaechi.

There's a guy called John Patterson who writes a fortnightly column on movies, who I think is really good, but then he's a cynical, embittered lefty with similar tastes to mine. A few of the sports writers are good, too - Kevin McCarra, Richard Williams and David Conn - and Marina Hyde can be funny. The music writing is fucking awful, though. They briefly had Sasha Frere-Jones as a guest columnist one week a few months ago, and to be able to read somebody writing in a broadsheet about rap whose frame of reference extended beyond Eminem, Wu-Tang and the last three Outkast albums was like a breath of fresh air.

Yeah pretty much cosine on all of Doc's points. The sport is still decent (the over by over/minute by minute/game by game on the online site are one of the best ways to waste a day at work) but the arts writing has gone to hell in general.

I particularly want to meet and headbutt John Harris who seems to have an opinion about everything and a knowledge about nothing - the Guardian's equivalent of Henry's Cat. This particular piece on funk music epitmoises where it's all going wrong.

Funk did this

John Harris
    Friday January 5, 2007
    The Guardian

Farewell then, James Brown: King Dancer, Godfather of Soul and a man so important that his passing was enough to make Michael Jackson speak in a slightly deeper voice. Not that anyone will truly miss the kind of performances he put in towards the end of his life - hired hands churning out the hits while Mr Brown issued the odd encouraging shriek. But fair play: in coming up with the essential formula for funk music, he surely made a contribution to human development that could never be adequately repaid.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or then again, perhaps not. Before writing this, I was momentarily frozen by fear of speaking ill of the dead and blaming JB for something that might not have been his fault. The feeling, thankfully, didn't linger - so, by way of backhandedly honouring his memory, let's say it loud: funk is the worst musical genre ever invented, a big old stain on Brown's CV and the cause of at least four decades of grinding misery.
    This, I will allow, is less a matter of such trailblazing proto-funk Brown pieces as Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, Sex Machine and I Got the Feelin', as the ongoing nightmare of chronic indulgence and musical slop they undoubtedly spawned. If you doubt this, listen to the supposed high points of the genre: anything by the likes of Tower of Power, pre-disco Kool and the Gang, Cameo before they discovered pop music, or the woeful Ohio Players. And before anyone mentions the peak-period work of George Clinton, I say only this: hats off for the UFO, onstage fancy dress and occasional pearling tune, but did everything have to be so long? (I have a friend who saw Funkadelic in Manchester in 1975 - a six-hour performance, he says, that amounted to an experiment involving the limits of human endurance.)

All that said, funk's acme of unbearability was only reached thanks to two developments: 1) its decisive hybridisation into jazz-funk, surely as awful an invention as, say, the thumbscrews; and 2) as with so many things, its wholesale appropriation by a certain kind of white person. On the latter count, I speak on the basis of experience: though the totemically funksome technique known as slap-bass was probably the invention of the sometime Sly & the Family Stone bass man Larry Graham, I will always associate it with a teenage acquaintance named Steve. He would occasionally drop in on my mod band and borrow our bassist's instrument, using his well-trained right hand to give it the old bink-bap-dip-dup, to nobody's great benefit.

Twenty-five years later, I saw decisive proof of funk's utter evil. On a trip to Clarksdale, Mississippi - one-time home of the blues, now home to a small blues industry - a friend and I were taken on a tour of a part of town that seemed to have been suddenly deserted in around 1975, leaving empty buildings and grass growing through the cracks in the road. Though I naively assumed this was probably down to the mechanisation of the cotton industry, our guide put us right: "Funk did this," he said (really, he did), claiming that, in killing the last traces of the blues, the nightmare genre had also done for his community. Just for a moment, my mind was filled with the image of a bass player dressed up like a BacoFoil model of a partridge, standing at the top of one of the town's taller buildings and blitzing all in front of him with every miserable thwack of his thumb.

Yeah pretty much cosine on all of Doc's points. The sport is still decent (the over by over/minute by minute/game by game on the online site are one of the best ways to waste a day at work) but the arts writing has gone to hell in general.

I particularly want to meet and headbutt John Harris who seems to have an opinion about everything and a knowledge about nothing - the Guardian's equivalent of Henry's Cat. This particular piece on funk music epitmoises where it's all going wrong.

Funk did this

John Harris
    Friday January 5, 2007
    The Guardian

Farewell then, James Brown: King Dancer, Godfather of Soul and a man so important that his passing was enough to make Michael Jackson speak in a slightly deeper voice. Not that anyone will truly miss the kind of performances he put in towards the end of his life - hired hands churning out the hits while Mr Brown issued the odd encouraging shriek. But fair play: in coming up with the essential formula for funk music, he surely made a contribution to human development that could never be adequately repaid.

Article continues

Or then again, perhaps not. Before writing this, I was momentarily frozen by fear of speaking ill of the dead and blaming JB for something that might not have been his fault. The feeling, thankfully, didn't linger - so, by way of backhandedly honouring his memory, let's say it loud: funk is the worst musical genre ever invented, a big old stain on Brown's CV and the cause of at least four decades of grinding misery.
    This, I will allow, is less a matter of such trailblazing proto-funk Brown pieces as Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, Sex Machine and I Got the Feelin', as the ongoing nightmare of chronic indulgence and musical slop they undoubtedly spawned. If you doubt this, listen to the supposed high points of the genre: anything by the likes of Tower of Power, pre-disco Kool and the Gang, Cameo before they discovered pop music, or the woeful Ohio Players. And before anyone mentions the peak-period work of George Clinton, I say only this: hats off for the UFO, onstage fancy dress and occasional pearling tune, but did everything have to be so long? (I have a friend who saw Funkadelic in Manchester in 1975 - a six-hour performance, he says, that amounted to an experiment involving the limits of human endurance.)

All that said, funk's acme of unbearability was only reached thanks to two developments: 1) its decisive hybridisation into jazz-funk, surely as awful an invention as, say, the thumbscrews; and 2) as with so many things, its wholesale appropriation by a certain kind of white person. On the latter count, I speak on the basis of experience: though the totemically funksome technique known as slap-bass was probably the invention of the sometime Sly & the Family Stone bass man Larry Graham, I will always associate it with a teenage acquaintance named Steve. He would occasionally drop in on my mod band and borrow our bassist's instrument, using his well-trained right hand to give it the old bink-bap-dip-dup, to nobody's great benefit.

Twenty-five years later, I saw decisive proof of funk's utter evil. On a trip to Clarksdale, Mississippi - one-time home of the blues, now home to a small blues industry - a friend and I were taken on a tour of a part of town that seemed to have been suddenly deserted in around 1975, leaving empty buildings and grass growing through the cracks in the road. Though I naively assumed this was probably down to the mechanisation of the cotton industry, our guide put us right: "Funk did this," he said (really, he did), claiming that, in killing the last traces of the blues, the nightmare genre had also done for his community. Just for a moment, my mind was filled with the image of a bass player dressed up like a BacoFoil model of a partridge, standing at the top of one of the town's taller buildings and blitzing all in front of him with every miserable thwack of his thumb.

Oh, man - I remember reading that piece and wanting to punch the fucker. Sadly, it's fairly typical of the kind of shite he comes out with when he tries to write about anything that isn't derived from a mid-to-late 80's British indie-rock aesthetic. He wrote a similarly lame-brained article about reggae around the same time. The guy wrote what's considered to be the "definitive" history of Britpop but, much like Urmee Khan on The Wire, he sees no problem in taking an "I don't know what I'm on about here, but I'm going to write about it anyway" stance on whatever topic takes his fancy. The amount of alehouse arguments about music I've had with people like him over the last twenty-odd years must be in three figures by now.