New Millenium Rap Classics

12345679»

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    "Doobie Ashtray" is more certifiably classic than MANY of these songs but it probably isn't a classic in the sense discussed here, if that makes any sense.

You mean it's got a "classic" sound

Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but it seems acceptance by the majority is a big factor in the songs and records (from the hiphop genre) that are tabbed as "classic".

Right. So why would you say a semi-obscure record is a classic?

• "Doobie Ashtray" is more certifiably classic than MANY of these songs but it probably isn't a classic in the sense discussed here, if that makes any sense.

You mean it's got a "classic" sound

Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but it seems acceptance by the majority is a big factor in the songs and records (from the hiphop genre) that are tabbed as "classic".

Right. So why would you say a semi-obscure record is a classic?

Cos SoulStrut don't run the "classic" list in my personal mind garden.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This kid was blasting some kind of cheesy beats out his car. Like high-pitched synth sounds and shit, i turned off my music, listened in and noticed that it was the Lil Weezy/Birdman album. Don't get me wrong Lil Weezy is cool, but it reminded me of the Trance scene almost a decade ago.

That album is excellent.

It surprises me how little attention this album gets. Was this mainly due to daddy kissing that occured around the same time or more to do with the saturation of Weezy releases in that period?

I think a lot of people slept on it as not being a real Weezy album. And, yeah, it does have Baby all over it but if you liked the Big Tymers, which consisted of Baby sharing the mic with Fresh, then you should be able to get with an album that pairs him with the BEST RAPPER ALIVE.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I don't remember any of the three guys you just mentioned EVER being "shitted on by 'old heads'" - all three were pretty much welcomed out the gate as really entertaining rappers.

You've never heard anyone complaining that 2pac, Biggie and Jay Z were promoting negativity, mysoginy or that their tales of drug dealing and their constant references to name brand were superficial ? Ever ?

I seem to recall Biggie and Jay being kind've universally accepted as dope rappers almost immediately, but from what I remember, Tupac didn't really get much love on the east coast until he died.

-e

From what my research showed, it was actually older folks that liked 2pac at the beginning - people that remembered him from Digital Underground.

I think deej is confusing "old heads" with self-described "real headz," a group that these days at least isn't usually very old at all and usually didn't experience the era that they purport to rep.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I don't remember any of the three guys you just mentioned EVER being "shitted on by 'old heads'" - all three were pretty much welcomed out the gate as really entertaining rappers.

You've never heard anyone complaining that 2pac, Biggie and Jay Z were promoting negativity, mysoginy or that their tales of drug dealing and their constant references to name brand were superficial ? Ever ?

I seem to recall Biggie and Jay being kind've universally accepted as dope rappers almost immediately, but from what I remember, Tupac didn't really get much love on the east coast until he died.

-e

From what my research showed, it was actually older folks that liked 2pac at the beginning - people that remembered him from Digital Underground.

I think deej is confusing "old heads" with self-described "real headz," a group that these days at least isn't usually very old at all and usually didn't experience the era that they purport to rep.

Who am I to dispute his findings?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i like the idea that there is no overlap between 'self described real headz' and 'old headz' but lets be honest

also, "my findings"??

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    THAT was and is the consensus of almost EVERY rap listener.
    u took a survey?

never mind that i never even brought up an 'old head consensus'

no kiddie I actually was living my life at that time unlike you who may still have been a distant glimmer in your parents eyes, or at the very least were still sucking on your mom's teet.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    u took a survey?

no kiddie I actually was living my life at that time unlike you who may still have been a distant glimmer in your parents eyes, or at the very least were still sucking on your mom's teet.

Bragging about being older? Awesome!

If Deej's anecdotal experience doesn't match your own, I don't understand the need to deride him. Sure he makes some crazy claims sometimes, but his anecdotal observations are precisely that: his own anecdotal obersvations. There are ways to disagree with that without being a disrespectful asshole.

-e

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    u took a survey?

If Deej's anecdotal experience doesn't match your own, I don't understand the need to deride him. Sure he makes some crazy claims sometimes, but his anecdotal observations are precisely that: his own anecdotal obersvations. There are ways to disagree with that without being a disrespectful asshole.

-e

But where is his data?!?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Ok...late entry....but this is of the new millenium....and these guys are rapping. I hear 808s in there too. This song was huge! Dammit...there's no dance. Ok well it's a classic anyway! They were yelling this hook way before Lil Jon! And they got Oakleys and dreads.
    Classic!

this is a very good point. lil jon clearly bit the baha men. That plus the oakleys and the dreads? Classic.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    There's a reason why even "Now" consumers of rap music listen to 2pac and Biggie and Jay-Z.

lol. how long have you been listening to rap??? you know I'm only Noz years old but i still remember the time (uhhh not that long ago really) when these dudes got shitted on by 'old heads' for not being enough like big daddy kane or whatever

are you that unaware of the irony?

seriously? All those "'88 was the best rap year evar" old dudes definitely were not feeling Jigga and Pac for years. Biggie MAYBE got a pass. Things are different now, cuz enough time passed that it was just unavoidable to say they were legends. And bcuz Jigga started using soul samples.

Dude, how old are you again? Where do you live? Oh yeah i remember now....Dave Mathews band.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    u took a survey?

-e

But where is his data?!?
    where is the funny?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This kid was blasting some kind of cheesy beats out his car. Like high-pitched synth sounds and shit, i turned off my music, listened in and noticed that it was the Lil Weezy/Birdman album. Don't get me wrong Lil Weezy is cool, but it reminded me of the Trance scene almost a decade ago.

That album is excellent.

It surprises me how little attention this album gets. Was this mainly due to daddy kissing that occured around the same time or more to do with the saturation of Weezy releases in that period?

I think a lot of people slept on it as not being a real Weezy album. And, yeah, it does have Baby all over it but if you liked the Big Tymers, which consisted of Baby sharing the mic with Fresh, then you should be able to get with an album that pairs him with the BEST RAPPER ALIVE.

Actually, I liked it after my initial listen. Just thought it didn't sound good on full blast out of someone's car.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    There's a reason why even "Now" consumers of rap music listen to 2pac and Biggie and Jay-Z.

lol. how long have you been listening to rap??? you know I'm only Noz years old but i still remember the time (uhhh not that long ago really) when these dudes got shitted on by 'old heads' for not being enough like big daddy kane or whatever

are you that unaware of the irony?

seriously? All those "'88 was the best rap year evar" old dudes definitely were not feeling Jigga and Pac for years. Biggie MAYBE got a pass. Things are different now, cuz enough time passed that it was just unavoidable to say they were legends. And bcuz Jigga started using soul samples.

Dude, how old are you again? Where do you live? Oh yeah i remember now....Dave Mathews band.
    usually when you clown someone for something you don't make shit up o'reilly

• I KNOW MUHFUCKA'S AIN'T HATIN' ON "LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON".

"LEATHER'S SO SOFT" SHITS ON HALF THE SONGS IN THIS THREAD.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Ok...late entry....but this is of the new millenium....and these guys are rapping. I hear 808s in there too. This song was huge! Dammit...there's no dance. Ok well it's a classic anyway! They were yelling this hook way before Lil Jon! And they got Oakleys and dreads.
    Classic!

Is this really rapping or are they chatting/toasting? I feel what you're saying, but you could have chosen better worse examples. 4.5/10

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Soccer moms and politicians don't Walk It Out.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Soccer moms and politicians don't Walk It Out.

Oh, but they will. Remember when they "got jiggy with it?" They just have a serious delay going on.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Classic!

Is this really rapping or are they chatting/toasting? I feel what you're saying, but you could have chosen better worse examples. 4.5/10

Nope. Sorry. They're yelling and it's got an extremely redundant hook with yelling. Oakleys and dreads to boot. It's a classic.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    woimsah is corny

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    woimsah is corny

Mad corny.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    the corniest.