New Millenium Rap Classics

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I can't believe some of the shit I'm seeing on here. There are people on here actually calling Lil Jon "classic." I mean are we being charitable or something? There are a few that I can def agree with - In The Club, Hate It Or Love It, Oh Boy, Girls Girls Girls, Grindin....these are songs that really didn't have to much a divide when the were blowing up - if you like hip hop, you liked these songs. "Get Low" though? Lil Boosie? Are we serious? That's charity music.

Have u heard of Crunk?

I don't really get that comment....but yes...I've also heard of Mantronix who were doing this sort of sound 20 years ago without a retarded choir on vocals. If we're going to keep bullshit like that in the thread...let's add some other real classics!

Chad Kroeger and Saliva - "They Say A Hero Can Save Us" BANGIN!
    Jennifer Lopez - "Jenny From The Block" WOOOOOOAAAHHH FIYA!!!!
    Paris Hilton - "Stars Are Blind" LYRICS AND FIERCE BEAT ROLLED INTO ONE MONSTER OF A TRACK! YOW!
    Crazy Town - "Butterfly" HIP HOP AT IT'S BEST!
    Michelle Branch - "Everywhere" FALL BACK ELLEN MCILLWAINE - THERE'S A NEW SHERRIF IN TOWN!
    Shakira - "Wherever, Whenever" SOMEONE CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT!
    Fountains of Wayne - "Stacy's Mom" DO I HEAR OVERTONES OF THE STOOGES IN THERE?!!?!?
    Creed - "Higher" BANGIN BANGIN BANGIN!! EXPLOSION! EXPLOSION! SIRENS!
    Pink - "There You Go" WENDY O?!?!?

The list goes on - but there's just too many to name!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Can we get a "You Don't Like Rap" graemlin?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I can't believe some of the shit I'm seeing on here. There are people on here actually calling Lil Jon "classic." I mean are we being charitable or something? There are a few that I can def agree with - In The Club, Hate It Or Love It, Oh Boy, Girls Girls Girls, Grindin....these are songs that really didn't have to much a divide when the were blowing up - if you like hip hop, you liked these songs. "Get Low" though? Lil Boosie? Are we serious? That's charity music.

Have u heard of Crunk?

I don't really get that comment....but yes...I've also heard of Mantronix who were doing this sort of sound 20 years ago without a retarded choir on vocals. If we're going to keep bullshit like that in the thread...let's add some other real classics!

Paris Hilton - "Stars Are Blind" LYRICS AND FIERCE BEAT ROLLED INTO ONE MONSTER OF A TRACK! YOW!
    Michelle Branch - "Everywhere" FALL BACK ELLEN MCILLWAINE - THERE'S A NEW SHERRIF IN TOWN!
    Fountains of Wayne - "Stacy's Mom" DO I HEAR OVERTONES OF THE STOOGES IN THERE?!!?!?

I don't get down with a ton of new rap, but the songs you posted have nothing to do with the other songs in this thread, which are actually for the most part classics. b/w you sound European. 93 till infinity dude

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Cherchez La Ghost

Cherchez La Ghost

Wasn't that pre 2000?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Discogs has it (and Supreme Clientele) as 2000

Discogs has it (and Supreme Clientele) as 2000

I just checked your right, Feb 2000.

Have u heard of Crunk?

I don't get down with a ton of new rap, but the songs you posted have nothing to do with the other songs in this thread, which are actually for the most part classics. b/w you sound European. 93 till infinity dude

but the songs you posted have nothing to do with the other songs in this thread[/b]

Wow....really???? Maybe we should stop making jokes on here all together....

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Have u heard of Crunk?

I get down with new rap pretty much exclusively, but even i gotta say that this thread is totally out of control. I mean, basicly you got every song on the damned radio is 2005 is now a certified classic? I could even see "get low" getting on the list, just because of the impact it had, and i dont even mind "zoom", but calling it a classic? Lil boosie? Guys, seriously.

crime mob? classic? I mean is this where were at now? I shudder to think.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Have u heard of Crunk?

but the songs you posted have nothing to do with the other songs in this thread[/b]

Wow....really???? Maybe we should stop making jokes on here all together....

Your anti-what-rap-music-has-naturally-and-thankfully-become is not even welcome here on Soulstrut.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Have u heard of Crunk?

I get down with new rap pretty much exclusively, but even i gotta say that this thread is totally out of control. I mean, basicly you got every song on the damned radio is 2005 is now a certified classic? I could even see "get low" getting on the list, just because of the impact it had, and i dont even mind "zoom", but calling it a classic? Lil boosie? Guys, seriously.

What is up with you West Coast dudes?

Zoom was pretty much the beat of the year last year appearing on just about every mixtape known to non-West-Coast man.

And again trying to deny Crime Mob???

Well, prepare yourselves to "shudder" even further when in a couple of years down the line Rock Yo Hips gets included on just this sort of list in addition to Knuck If You Buck.

Seriously, some of y'all need to finally resurface from your 90's-era, I have-to-hate-it-just-because-it's-successful-and-thus-commercial funk.

That, or just go back to alt-rock and leave rap for real rap fans.

Have u heard of Crunk?

What is up with you West Coast dudes?

Zoom was pretty much the beat of the year last year appearing on just about every mixtape known to non-West-Coast man.

And again trying to deny Crime Mob???

Well, prepare yourselves to "shudder" even further when in a couple of years down the line Rock Yo Hips gets included on just this sort of list in addition to Knuck If You Buck.

Seriously, some of y'all need to finally resurface from your 90's-era, I have-to-hate-it-just-because-it's-successful-and-thus-commercial funk.

That, or just go back to alt-rock and leave rap for real rap fans.

Zoom was pretty much the beat of the year last year appearing on just about every mixtape known to non-West-Coast man. [/b]
    CLASSIC MATERIAL! MIX TAPES! Location, location, location. Apparently these songs got a lot more burn out there than here. Pal....I helped put out Crime Mob's last album. Are you up on Peaches remixes of Rock Yo Hips and Stilletos?
    You're calling these songs classics - like they have actual emotional effect. Even the guys making them know what they are. It's music for instant gratification...there's no thought process put into it what-so-ever besides selling ring tones....and if you think otherwise....you're mistaken. It can be fun....I can dig some of it....but calling this music "classic." The Beatles are classic. Zeppelin is classic. Stop it. Stop it right now.

Do you listen to all this classic material in these?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The Beatles are classic. Led Zeppelin are classic.

take that shit to rollingstone.com

Ban Woimsah

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    What's Zoom?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    generally speaking when i first got here i found b-sides to be insightful and have pretty good taste but lately its like you've been on this 'fuck hip-hop' kick. I know yr not feeling the current southern style or whatever but Boosie has been putting it down for a minute, he's not the chicken noodle soup dude and he's not Jibbs. not anything against 1-hit pop wonders, but deriding boosie like that isn't really correct...he can be really lyrical. Did you ever check that webbie and boosie album that had 'gimme that' on it? "Trouble Man" !!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    What's Zoom?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    U might not like Lil John or Crunk but to omit the movements impact on the game is st8 ignorant.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    U might not like Lil John or Crunk but to omit the movements impact on the game is st8 ignorant.
    i'm always amazed that people don't realize how much every artist that goes on to become a 'legend' was, at one pt, derided by the old guard for not being enough like older music.

Fuck the beatles, perry como is my shit

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    st8 ignorant.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i'm always amazed that people don't realize how much every artist that goes on to become a 'legend' was, at one pt, derided by the old guard for not being enough like older music.

Fuck the beatles, perry como is my shit

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

that's actually a really good point.

Where did I say anything about it not having an impact? That shit had it's time and place and did very well. But it's a fad. It's not going to stand the test of time. You think Flex, ten 4th of Julys from now, is going to play that shit and it's going to mean what this past 4th of July set means to anyone? Not a chance in hell. This music is simply put out for business sake....i mean if it was so apparently a classic - don't you think there wouldn't be so much of a conflict about it? I mean you guys are reacting to opinions like mine because you've obviously heard it many times before - and the same goes for my reaction to your opinions. Bottom line - unfortunately - it sort of comes down to basic language. Calling this music "classic" really puts the 'ass' in the word. Oh yea - I took it there. No sugar coating round these parts. People who make music for the sake of making good music generally have a better shot of making something that'll stand the test of time than someone who's throwing shit out that goes along with the current marketing fad. Wipe Me Down? Crank the Roosevelt? Laffy Taffy? Really? Come on man.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    b/w you sound European. 93 till infinity dude

Southern style hip hop is actually very popular in Europe... a manager i know sells most of his artists "crunk" beats to French/German/Dutch people etc...

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

yeah I'm not really understanding rap[/b] anymore I guess.

no I mean I'm really not understanding this thread.

are these songs that will supposedly "hold up" over time?

are they merely the biggest rap songs since 2000?

are these joints that supposedly represent a new "era," hence the "millenium" criterion?

are these "regional" specific classics?

is it just -- as so many strut threads -- a list of some of the poster's favorite jawns with no regard for status of said jawns outside of poster's mindgarden?
    I think the point of the thread is to try to see where Harvey's mindgarden coincide with other Strutters' favorite songs.

Some people take the word "classic" too seriously.
    But still, Rock Co.Kane Flow is a classic !

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    b/w you sound European. 93 till infinity dude

Southern style hip hop is actually very popular in Europe... a manager i know sells most of his artists "crunk" beats to French/German/Dutch people etc...

I haven't played in France yet but in all the clubs I've played in Germany, England, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, etc, slow, new southern stuff doesn't work nearly as good as boom bap stuff. You don't hear boom bap stuff in the clubs AT ALL in the states.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    But it's a fad. It's not going to stand the test of time.
    The same thing has been said of rock, rap, and most every other form of popular music. Some of the current directions rap music has taken not fitting into your view of what rap music should be does not mean the music is a fad.

This music is simply put out for business sake....
    Most music released since the creation of recorded music has had business concerns tied into its creation. I would say that the music you're dismissing in this thread is created and put out for a number of reasons, including, but in no way limited to, making money. Regardless, the motivation for creating and putting out the music is not something we are all privy to on a song-by-song basis - this is why it's helpful to listen to the music itself.

i mean if it was so apparently a classic - don't you think there wouldn't be so much of a conflict about it?

This just makes no sense. You really don't think there are a vast number of records, across all genres, that are considered classics today, but were highly contested upon their initial release?

People who make music for the sake of making good music generally have a better shot of making something that'll stand the test of time

Can we see some stats to back this up?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    But it's a fad. It's not going to stand the test of time.
    The same thing has been said of rock, rap, and most every other form of popular music. Some of the current directions rap music has taken not fitting into your view of what rap music should be does not mean the music is a fad.

This music is simply put out for business sake....
    Most music released since the creation of recorded music has had business concerns tied into its creation. I would say that the music you're dismissing in this thread is created and put out for a number of reasons, including, but in no way limited to, making money. Regardless, the motivation for creating and putting out the music is not something we are all privy to on a song-by-song basis - this is why it's helpful to listen to the music itself.

FALL BACK!

The one Woimsah has already revealed that he is an industry insideur and, in fact, helped put out Crime Mob's latest album.

I have no doubt that--bonding over a shared love of the Beatles and Zep--Li'l J and them confessed to Woimsah that their collective heart's truest desire was to put out 2007 Til Infinity, an album-length tribute to Souls of Mischief, but in hopes of getting rich they instead decided to craft songs like "Circles" and "Rock Yo Hips".

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    [Where did I say anything about it not having an impact? That shit had it's time and place and did very well. But it's a fad. It's not going to stand the test of time. You think Flex, ten 4th of Julys from now, is going to play that shit and it's going to mean what this past 4th of July set means to anyone?

The 25 year olds of 2017 will not feel an ounce of nostalgia towards the music they loved when they were 15.

Not a chance in hell. This music is simply put out for business sake....i mean if it was so apparently a classic - don't you think there wouldn't be so much of a conflict about it?

Because there certainly wasn't any conflict about, say, The Chronic or Sugarhill Gang or electric Miles and Dylan.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Zoom flopped in LA along with alot of the southern stuff. I don't see most of the stuff listed in this thread even close to clasic status. Stuff like "Lean Back" yeh thats classic status because that hit north, south, east west. Lil Boosie just didn't do it. I would put Lil Scrappy Money in the Bank waaaaaaaaaay above Zoom. And even so i wouldn't call either "classic", hits yes, but definately no classic.

I kind of agree with some of the points that Woimsah is bringing up too. Everything on the radio is disposable. I mean i was listening to Young Berg on the radio today, and yeh the beat is cool, but Young Berg? sounds like anyone else and his rhymes are the same as almost anyone else making a radio rap track.

outside ofa few standouts, ie. Chamillionaire, T.I., etc. there aren't alot of artists that really put out stand the test of time material.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    quit hating on the south

b/w

not hitting in LA = not classic?