does Tabasco need refrigeration?

Comments

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    I ride for Tabasco. I've got the sweet&sour, the worcester sauce, the soy sauce. Avery Island, btdtgtts

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I fucks with all roosters!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Mexican hot sauce versus Louisiana hot sauce versus Asian hot sauce is an apples versus oranges versus bananas debate.

Seriously, a well-stocked pantry should have all styles. No single hot sauce can be all things to all people. But you can leave the Tabasco behind, as far as I'm concerned.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Seriously, a well-stocked pantry should have all styles. No single hot sauce can be all things to all people.

I literally have in my kitchen almost every sauce mentioned in this thread, perhaps 90% at least.

But you can leave the Tabasco behind, as far as I'm concerned.

The thing with Tabasco is, it's the one sauce you can reliably get with your eggs at a restaurant, so like it or lump it but it's better than a bland omelet. I personally regard Tabasco as liquid cayenne, it adds heat without adding much flavor. Most of the time I use it at home I use it in cooking, or on macaroni and cheese.

y'all keep posting this pic but no one seems to be stepping up and riding for one siracha brand over another. there are three different brands of siracha represented in that photo. which is the best?

Honestly, I haven't tried the other ones, but the Huy Fong Sriracha is the one that was so well known that there was counterfit[/b] Sriracha going around some time ago. I wish I could find the article on line, but it was pretty interesting. It's the Heinz of the genre, and it's pretty damn tasty too.

• I know this sounds kind of weird, but any of you ever try putting a little hot sauce in your beer? A mexican friend turned me onto this recently. A Tecate, a lime, and a little hot sauce. Mmmm-mmmm.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Here in West Africa the Habanero Pepper is very popular.
    Sauces are always home made and always taste different.
    Normally, I crunch the habaneros in a mortar and then boil them down in a pot with some garlic, lime juice and salt or broth, sometimes I add a little honey.
    I prepare BBQ sauce the same way but add a lot of honey, some tomato pulp and boil the sauce down until its nice and thick. I pour everything into jars that I prepared in boiling water. These sauces will last for a year.
    In Benin I tried an excellent home made hot sauce that was made out of fresh, green habaneros, lime juice and garlic. I have no idea what else was in there but it was great. Been back to that restaurant on every visit to Benin since.

Many years back, I almost killed myself with this crazy Mexican hot sauce that was thick, almost like mustard and beige in color. This was definitely the hottest stuff I ever had, it was so brutal, I could barely breathe. It felt like I had an open wound in my throat and I can normally really stand a lot of heat. Hottest dish I ever had was "Beef in Hell" at some Thai restaurant, shit was so intense, I got a nosebleed while eating it and felt like I was on drugs. I couldn't manage to walk straight on my way to the bathroom to clean my face up. I kept bumping into chairs and tables, it was lunch and other patrons looked scared. My favorite superspicy appetizer is "Moritas" at Brooklyn's Mexcal's: Sometimes it's not so bad but sometimes this shit can really kick your ass.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The black folks brand...

Regional Black Folks Brand

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Hottest dish I ever had was "Beef in Hell" at some Thai restaurant, shit was so intense, I got a nosebleed while eating it and felt like I was on drugs. I couldn't manage to walk straight on my way to the bathroom to clean my face up. I kept bumping into chairs and tables, it was lunch and other patrons looked scared. My favorite superspicy appetizer is "Moritas" at Brooklyn's Mexcal's: Sometimes it's not so bad but sometimes this shit can really kick your ass.

Holy crap! Why would anyone want to eat that?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Hottest dish I ever had was "Beef in Hell" at some Thai restaurant, shit was so intense, I got a nosebleed while eating it and felt like I was on drugs. I couldn't manage to walk straight on my way to the bathroom to clean my face up. I kept bumping into chairs and tables, it was lunch and other patrons looked scared. My favorite superspicy appetizer is "Moritas" at Brooklyn's Mexcal's: Sometimes it's not so bad but sometimes this shit can really kick your ass.

Because endorphins are like taking really clean drugs?

I know this sounds kind of weird, but any of you ever try putting a little hot sauce in your beer? A mexican friend turned me onto this recently. A Tecate, a lime, and a little hot sauce. Mmmm-mmmm.

Tecate & Lime & Serrano Pepper......

Mexican hot sauce versus Louisiana hot sauce versus Asian hot sauce is an apples versus oranges versus bananas debate.

Seriously, a well-stocked pantry should have all styles. No single hot sauce can be all things to all people. But you can leave the Tabasco behind, as far as I'm concerned.

Tabasco is just a staple but far from the top of the list.

I make my own Hot Sauce

Carrots/Habenero/Thyme/Etc....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Speaking of which ??? a researcher at Harvard has suggested putting capsaicin in pills that folks get hooked on and snort to deter the abuse. Ingesting the pill as required with the capsaicin won???t do it anything, but trying snorting a habanero!

Speaking of which ??? a researcher at Harvard has suggested putting capsaicin in pills that folks get hooked on and snort to deter the abuse. Ingesting the pill as required with the capsaicin won???t do it anything, but trying snorting a habanero!

Haha, snorting a habanero would probably kill some people. Sounds adventurous!

bonus: Rappers could talk about moving scoville units! ha. Ok that was dumb.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Haha, snorting a habanero would probably kill some people. Sounds adventurous!

bonus: Rappers could talk about moving scoville units! ha. Ok that was dumb.

Many years ago I worked for a stint at a plant nursery. There was a dude who also worked there who was annoying the hell out of some of us...so we hijacked his Sonic Route 44 cherry limeade and stuffed his straw full of habanero seeds. When he eventually went to take a sip, it was jammed up so he sucked really hard and those damned seed went right down his throat...causing him to practically go into convulsions of pain that had the rest of going into convulsions of laughter.

Haha, that's fucked up. But funny.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

the middle one, i dont think ive ever seen the other two but then again maybe i wasnt paying much attention. i know that alot of popular asian condiments have been 'bootlegged' from siracha to fish sauce to filipino mang thomas sauce... so maybe the other 2 are knock offs?

• Sriracha (pronounced SEE-rah-chah) is the generic name for a Southeast Asian hot sauce from Thailand. It is named after the seaside town Si Racha, where it was first produced as a local product. It is made from sun-ripened chile peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt. It averages a scoville rating of 2,000.

One of the most famous brands is made by Huy Fong Foods, an American company, that puts an emblem of a rooster on the bottle. The US brand from Huy Fong Foods is often left out on the table at restaurants all day and contains sodium bisulfite as a preservative. Thai people often find the American brand perplexing, as Sriracha was originally and is still often thought of as unique brand from that town, not a type of sauce. [/b]Thai grocery stores carry the authentic Thai version, which usually has no preservatives and is refrigerated after opening.

From the widipedia comments page:

This sauce is more commonly referred to as simply 'cock sauce' than 'hot cock sauce,' and you'll only call it 'rooster sauce' if your grandmother's at the table. Perhaps the article should reflect this.

HAHAHAHAHA

BACK ON TRACK:

Huy Fong Foods (Chinese: 匯豐食品公司) is an American hot sauce company. Beginning in Chinatown in Los Angeles, California, in 1980, it has grown to become one of the leaders in the Asian hot sauce market.

When Huy Fong Foods started business, it produced its first chili sauce, Pepper Sat?? Sauce, by hand. The sauce was developed by the company's founder, David Tran (Trần), a Vietnamese farmer who had grown chili peppers, produced, and sold this sauce in his native country before arriving in the United States as a part of the migration of Vietnamese boat people displaced by the Vietnam War. The company is named for the boat that took Tran to Hong Kong in 1978 and its rooster logo comes from the fact that Tran was born in the Year of the Rooster. The bottles' trademark green top symbolizes the freshness of the chili used.[/b]

Eventually, Tran formulated four more chili products: Chili Garlic Sauce (Tương Ớt Tỏi Việt-Nam), Sambal Oelek (ground fresh chili paste), Sambal Badjak (chili paste with onions), and finally, Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. The latter is currently Huy Fong Foods' best-known and best-selling item, easily recognized by its bright red color and its packaging: a clear plastic bottle with a green cap, text in six languages (Vietnamese, English, Thai, Chinese, Spanish and French), and the rooster logo.

In 1986, Huy Fong Foods moved into a 68,000 square foot building in Rosemead, California. Here, the company has continued to increase production every year. The company has also purchased land near San Diego, California, on which it grows the chili peppers used for its products.

Huy Fong Foods' chili sauces are made from fresh, red jalape??o chili peppers and contain no added water or artificial colors. All five sauces are manufactured in Rosemead, California.

Sriracha

Is a must have but is overrated.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

y'all keep posting this pic but no one seems to be stepping up and riding for one siracha brand over another. there are three different brands of siracha represented in that photo. which is the best?

The others might be bootlegs. You gotta be careful. Even the rooster has been bootleged & is sold with a yellow cap, instead of the traditional green.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Sriracha

Is a must have but is overrated.

• I don't think anyone has mentioned this one:

That's a pretty funny idea, but then the commercials for those pills will have to include the disclamer "May cause ring of fire."[/b]

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Green is the original, the rest are bootlegs, correct? I watch Food TV, god dammit.

i LOVE hot sauce but i'm not a tabasco fan. i ride for:

YES! It's the basic one, but good enough for basic stuff. Add that to chicken katsu or tonkatsu, oh man. It's lunch time, isn't it? (looking at clock) yes it is.

In the end it should look something like this:

As a kid, anytime I went into someone's house (of a friend, or my dad went to go "smoke" with someone), there was always a bottle of hot chili pepper water in the back. No milk, no eggs, which meant no one went shopping yet, but always hot chili pepper water. I know as a kid, if I ever said something bad or even gave my parents a stink eye, it was either Tabasco or hot chili pepper water in my mouth. You can't even scare kids like that today, you might get "oh yeah, you want me to call Dr. Phil? Got his number on my cell, punk."

On a serious note, I got to make some. Last year I grew some peppers, this year I've been growing some tomatoes

and I've been wanting to make some hot sauce or a salsa. Got to find a way to make it, and time.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

Green is the original, the rest are bootlegs, correct? I watch Food TV, god dammit.

I have some of the goose siracha in my fridge right now. To my taste it is indistinguishable from the rooster. For mexican hot sauce I have been liking Pico Pica lately. It is definetely not the hottest but it has lots of other tasty flavors going around.

and I've been wanting to make some hot sauce or a salsa. Got to find a way to make it, and time.

Diced chilis + a little oil and spices/flavorings (citrus maybe?) in a saucepan, cook a while, throw in blender, add some vinegar, blend, force through a siv, voila. you should have chili sauce, more or less. Shouldn't take much time or be too hard to do.

• This is the best soulstrut thread in a long time!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I have some of the goose siracha in my fridge right now. To my taste it is indistinguishable from the rooster.

The goose is good. I have one that has lemongrass in it as well and that shit is so good with pork or on shrimp w/ some lime.