does Tabasco need refrigeration?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

L*RRY!!!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    The best hot sauces I've had are homemade.

Seriously though, and they are so easy to make. I always make some in the summer once farmer's market dude brings in all his peppers. Buy some of your favorite hot peppers, cut them into four pieces, leaving in as many seeds as you think you can handle, put them in a empty clean glass bottle, put in some all-spice beads, maybe some crushed garlic, salt, and finally, pour in white vinegar until the bottle is full. Let it sit for a day and you've got homemade hot sauce. Its good for at least a year depending if you put garlic in or not.

In the end it should look something like this:

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

this stuff is awesome, if you can find some, get it.

also, the hot sauce industry has grotesque packaging.

ps: taste the 4th sense in Toronto carries a good variety of hot sauces.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The best hot sauces I've had are homemade.

Seriously though, and they are so easy to make. I always make some in the summer once farmer's market dude brings in all his peppers. Buy some of your favorite hot peppers, cut them into four pieces, leaving in as many seeds as you think you can handle, put them in a empty clean glass bottle, put in some all-spice beads, maybe some crushed garlic, salt, and finally, pour in white vinegar until the bottle is full. Let it sit for a day and you've got homemade hot sauce. Its good for at least a year depending if you put garlic in or not.

In the end it should look something like this:

My mom knows a couple of ladies who make their own scotchbonnet pepper sauce. One uses raw peppers, the other one cooks the sauce. I want my mom to ask the latter lady if everyone clears the hell out of her house while that stuff is on the stove because it sounds like it would be hard to breath and keep your eyes open. My mom said, no, that it would be "rude" to ask such a thing.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

This is my shit right here!!!!

ps: taste the 4th sense in Toronto carries a good variety of hot sauces.

Thank You!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

that shit makes up six of the seven spices in my "seven secret spices tofu dish"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

that shit makes up six of the seven spices in my "seven secret spices tofu dish"

Secret spice #7: Cough syrup

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    lil dudes, it's time to step your hotsauce game up.

you know, people are always saying this kind of stuff, but its like, thats not tabasco. Im sure they are good, and in sure they kill tapatio or whatever, but tabasco is totally different than any of these indie hot sauce brands.

in my opinion its apples and oranges.

Exactly...Tabasco is made first and foremost to go on red beand and rice. Anything else that it winds up being good on is merely incidental. So that's the test for whether a suace is an orange to Tabasco's apple:

How does it taste on red beans and rice?

My mom knows a couple of ladies who make their own scotchbonnet pepper sauce. One uses raw peppers, the other one cooks the sauce. I want my mom to ask the latter lady if everyone clears the hell out of her house while that stuff is on the stove because it sounds like it would be hard to breath and keep your eyes open. My mom said, no, that it would be "rude" to ask such a thing.

Ha! My mom brought me back a scotch bonnet sauce from Grenada a few years back and it was really tasty. So I made my homemade recipie with scotch bonnets last summer, and after a month the sauce was way too hot, like permanently damage your taste buds hot. I was going to throw it out, but before I did, my wife told me to put it in a spray bottle to use like mace!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    And it's not like anyone in their right mind is putting Tabasco on tacos.

• i LOVE hot sauce but i'm not a tabasco fan. i ride for:

&

Tabasco: peppers, vinegar, salt

Ill ride for cholula, its much spicier than tabasco.

• If you're sayin Chipotle tastes good at all, you don't know good Mexican food. (Hi, G**y)

I know good Mexican food I live in Phoenix, and Chipotle is a fucking good burrito.

• L*RRY!!!

FR*NK!!!

WHAT UP?!?!?

Does anyone have a good harissa recipie? I think I really need measurements for this one. I prefer cooking by taste, but this is something I can't seem to get right, I don't know if it's the combination of spices or the amounts or both?

• Rooster sauce is the shit. And guess what? It's american too. Invented somewhere in SoCal (LA I think). Thats right... Everybody's favorite asian hotsauce isn't really asian at all!

Whats the difference between the Rooster, Goose, and Mountain Sriracha sauces? Just different company labels?

• I've only ever seen rooster. Didn't realize those other ones existed....

• Rooster sauce is the shit.

That's crazy...I was trippin' off this thread and the first pic I saw was a big ass bottle of Rooster sauce.

To me, the best out of the three. Each time I take a slurp of Pho, I throw a ton of Rooster on it...EACH TIME!!! That is is GOOD.

you know what else is good and HOT? Funky16Corners' Lovin Machine mix!
    What?
    Huh?
    Yea!!

• you know what else is good and HOT? Funky16Corners' Lovin Machine mix!
    What?
    Huh?
    Yea!!

Thanks!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Siracha = Asian Ketchup

Tabasco = White folks hot sauce

Tabasco Green = Transparent peoples hot sauce

Chaloula/Tapatio = Liquid smoke = vomit

Crystal = Wings, beans, rice, period!

el yucateco = okay for a hot sauce but pretty weak for a habanero sauce, also they use a grip of food coloring that trips me out.

When i was living down near panama aoll the hotsauces had mustard bases, if you never have tried it, the time has come:

Something like this:

Super dank with coconut lentils and rice, roasted fish with onions and peppers.
    Preferably while listening to israel vibrations.

Oh yeah and as far as spicy tabasco brand goes, look for the habanero tabasco, it's right in the sweet spot!

• Marie Sharp's straight from Belize!!!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Marie Sharp's straight from Belize!!!

Big ups!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    If you're sayin Chipotle tastes good at all, you don't know good Mexican food. (Hi, G**y)

Chipotle Mexican Grill and Authentic Mexican Food have nothing to do with one another and one's taste for Chipotle suggests nothing of their knowledge and understanding of quality authentic Mexican cuisine. I like Chipotle but I love me some Mole or Enchiladas or Chile Rellenos or whatever else at a nice family-owned authentic Mexican restaurant. I like a McDonald's hamburger every now and again too but that doesn't mean I don't know what's up with a Filet Mignon or a black pepper-crusted Ribeye.

Also, Tobasco sauce (aka "hot" flavored vinegar sauce) is disgusting and any self-respecting food lover should be ashamed of having it in their posession. j/k, it is gross though, I will never cosign that shit.

And as for the "smokey" flavor of the chipotle chile, it is supposed to be smokey because a chipotle chile is nothing more than a dried and smoked red Jalapeno. Also, they are usually packed in adobo sauce when they are canned or jarred and this tomato-based sauce mixes with the smokey flavor of the chili to create a "Barbecue-like" flavor. Chipotle chiles are really good if applied in the proper setting. It's not something you just slap on any food to make taste better. It's an ingredient to be matched with other ingredients that compliment it. I think that's where America gets it wrong.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    Tabasco sauce (aka "hot" flavored vinegar sauce) is disgusting

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I like a McDonald's hamburger every now and again too but that doesn't mean I don't know what's up with a Filet Mignon or a black pepper-crusted Ribeye.

saying. I totally feel you. for instance I love the chicken "Tacos del Carbon" at muhfucking Del Taco. that doesn't mean I don't ride for that real schitt Mexican food??? of which there is pleny where I stay.

HOWEVER Chipotle just sucks. it tastes bad.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

y'all keep posting this pic but no one seems to be stepping up and riding for one siracha brand over another. there are three different brands of siracha represented in that photo. which is the best?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i fucks with the middle one. there's some other shit besides those that are on some other shit but i find that the middle one is hot fiyah but still has some taste. theres way too many hot sauces that are just hot and thats it. plus it doesn't automatically give me explosive diarrhea unless i put way too much