Anyone in NY see the Boredoms w/ 77 drummers?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited September 2018 in Music Talk
at empire fulton ferry state park in bk this past saturday?this looked amazing. i'm so jealous. i wish i could find a full list of the drummers that participated but going through flickr i noticed brian chippendale from lightning bolt and the drummer from unwound

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I really wanted to go... I was stuck at the shop. The boys Schnipper and Scrappy went and said it was incredible.

RAMP was playing in Central Park the same day but I can't imagine choosing that over this.

• Spent about 90 minutes on the 2000+ hipster-person deep line, then broke out with the quickness.

Guess I didn't miss much, though, because those clips =

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Guess I didn't miss much, though, because those clips =

have you seen boredoms live the last few years? their whole set is basically one long song with no breaks. this was the same idea except 77minutes, so i don't think 2 minute video clips are representative of the whole performance.

• Guess I didn't miss much, though, because those clips =

i know it may seen inconceivable that youtube couldn't translate something, but if you can wrap your mind around that you can trust me that it was completely epic

Methinks this gentleman is probably... not familiar.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Methinks this gentleman is probably... not familiar.

I had to sub the "electronica" show at the radio station a couple weeks ago and since I havent clue about that stuff, I played the entire "Vision Creation New Sun" album straight through...the phone lines went haywire..all these electronica people asking "is this such and such? is it such and such? No? Who is this? The Boredoms???From Japan??Never heard of 'em" So many people are not familar but when they hear it they flip...

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    So how did they practice for this or did that not even happen?

So how did they practice for this or did that not even happen?

I dont know..maybe it was the drumming equivilent of that game you played when you were a kid where you say something and whisper it to another person and by the time you get to the end it is a different phrase...perhaps since they were all in a spiral the first person in the center of the spiral followed Yoshimi and the next and the next until the last person was playing a completely different beat...

probably didnt happen that way, but that might have been cool...

Shit, I wish I could have gone...............

• Their 'practice' consisted of running through the set about 2 hours before showtime....while everyone lined up outside the park. It sounded kinda meh to me.

And for the record: I've been an on and off fan since back in the Chocolate Synthesizer/ Pop Tatari days. I think that Seadrum is an awesome record, too.

This whole thing, however= hipsteroid collision. I think most of the people there were, as you say, [i]not familiar.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Well I would of loved to check this out but oh well.

Their 'practice' consisted of running through the set about 2 hours before showtime....while everyone lined up outside the park. It sounded kinda meh to me.

And for the record: I've been an on and off fan since back in the Chocolate Synthesizer/ Pop Tatari days. I think that Seadrum is an awesome record, too.

This whole thing, however= hipsteroid collision. I think most of the people there were, as you say, not familiar.

My bad then. I don't really care about what the crowd was like, but from all reports (and these clips) I thought it sounded pretty dope.

what is this?! i recognize guitar elements, but uh holy cow

anyway, i found a full list

Drum leaders:

01 Hisham Bharoocha (Soft Circle / Pixeltan)
    02 Tim Dewit (Gang Gang Dance)
    03 Brian Chippendale (Lightning Bolt)
    04 Dave Nuss (No Neck Blues Band / Under Satans Sun)
    05 Jaiko Suzuki (Electro Putas)
    06 Jesse Lee (White Magic)
    07 Ryan Sawyer (Tall Firs / Stars Like Fleas)
    08 Kid Millions (Oneida)
    09 Andy McLeod (Howling Hex / Modest Mouse)
    10 Aaron Moore
    11 Robin Easton

Other drummers:

12 Sara Lund (Unwound)
    13 Jim Black
    14 Andrew W.K.
    15 Butchy Fuego (Pit Er Pat)
    16 Miggie (Blood on the Wall)
    17 Brian Tamborello (Psychic Ills)
    18 Andee Connors (A Minor Forest / Lumen)
    19 John Moloney (Sunburned Hand of the Man)
    20 Taylor Richardson (Sunburned Hand of the Man)
    21 Chris Millstein
    22 Abby Portner (First Nation)
    23 Aviram Cohen (Soiled Mattress and the Springs)
    24 Allison Busch (Awesome Color)
    25 Warren Huegel (Tussle)
    26 Nathan Corbin (Excepter)
    27 Clare Amory
    28 Jonathan Lockie (Sightings)
    29 Josh Bonati (Aa)
    30 Nadav Havusha (Aa)
    31 Aron Wahl (Aa)
    32 Jeffrey Salane (Panthers)
    33 Jim Sykes
    34 David Aron (Koi Pond)
    35 Michael Catano
    36 Spencer Herbst (Matta Lama)
    37 Jim Siegel (Cul De Sac and Damo Suzuki)
    38 Mike Pride (MDC, FUSHITSUSHA, John Zorn, Otomo Yoshihide)
    39 Nick DeCarmine
    40 Marianne Kozlowski (The Punks)
    41 Than Luu (M. Ward)
    42 Dave Bergander (Celebration)
    43 Michael Evans (God Is My Co-Pilot)
    44 Andrya Ambro
    45 Justin DeRosa
    46 Hart Mingus (Negative Approach)
    47 Matthias Schulz (Enon / Holy Fuck)
    48 Josh Madell (Antietam, Other Music)
    49 Matt (No Neck Blues Band)
    50 Jim Abramson (Dymaxion)
    51 Oran Canfield (Child Abuse)
    52 Adriana Maga??a (Crash Worship)
    53 Keith Connolly (No Neck Blues Band)
    54 Travis Harrison
    55 Jared Barron
    56 Jason Kourkounis (Delta 72 / Hot Snakes)
    57 Eric Cohen (Caroliner)
    58 Daniel Franz (Arbouretum)
    59 Christopher Brokaw (Codeine)
    60 Jared Burak (Wet Cement)
    61 Christopher Powell (Icy Demons / Man Man)
    62 Sadie Laska (I.U.D.)
    63 Pete Vogl (Koi Pond)
    64 Barbara Schauwecker
    65 AJ Edminson (Favourite Sons)
    66 David Grubbs
    67 John McSwain (VICE)
    68 Dave Abramson (Climax Golden Twins)
    69 Alan Licht
    70 Rick Prior
    71 Kayrock
    72 Dave LeBleu (Prefuse 73 / Mercury Program)
    73 Lizzy Bougatsos (Gang Gang Dance)
    74 Alianna Kalaba (We Ragazzi)

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Orchestral Maneuvers in the Park?

Orchestral Maneuvers in the Park?

• Their 'practice' consisted of running through the set about 2 hours before showtime....while everyone lined up outside the park. It sounded kinda meh to me.

This whole thing, however= hipsteroid collision. I think most of the people there were, as you say, [i]not familiar.

missing some shit like this because you don't want to be around hipsters is retarded. and i say that as one of the biggest misanthropes i know. and yeah there were a handful of people there that were not diehard boredoms fans, but people were definitely responding to the interpolation and referencing of older shit like super ??. and i'm not really mad at people diehard enough to line up at 1 in the afternoon because they think 77 drummers in the park on a nice day sounds tight. you sound mad you didn't get in. which is understandable, but come on.

and as far as rehearsal, the leaders were getting groups together months in advance to rehearse the various movements. it was not "let's all get together and bash it out!" in the least. shit was well choreographed. not the best boredoms show i've ever seen, or even the second best, but still a singular experience and up there with any other live music i've ever seen.

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts

what is this?! i recognize guitar elements, but uh holy cow

I believe people have been calling this a "guitar fence". Basically open guitar tunings that Eye played with drumsticks. They had a special assistant that would tune it periodically.

By the way this show was epic, incredible, indescribable. It created such good feelings within me that I merely laugh at the idiot in this thread who didn't even attend the show and yet thinks he is in any position to speak on it.

• 100% agree with this dude and why the fuck is my post in italics oh well

• by the way eye played those guitar necks by hitting them with a fucking 10 FOOT TALL TRIDENT

• what is this?! i recognize guitar elements, but uh holy cow

I believe people have been calling this a "guitar fence". Basically open guitar tunings that Eye played with drumsticks. They had a special assistant that would tune it periodically.

By the way this show was epic, incredible, indescribable. It created such good feelings within me that I merely laugh at the idiot in this thread who didn't even attend the show and yet thinks he is in any position to speak on it.

Blah blah blah blah small man talk blah blah.

I believe what that is a bunch of homemade lapsteel guitars mounted on drum hardware. That's actually kinda cool. I do wish I had seen that.

Judging by the bug-up-the-ass pseudo-hipper than thou reactions of the folks here who did attend and won't brook any criticism whatsoever, however, I am now absolutely sure I didn't miss a damn thing worth suffering such company for. 2000+ scene points for you!

Do me a favor:turn out the lights in Williamsburg (or Bushwick) on your way back to Ohio, and get out of my city.

Sincerely,
    An actual New Yorker

• dude you have absolutely no fucking idea what you're talking about but ok

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I AGREE WITH SOLID STATE SHIT LOOKS TEPID AT BEST U HIPSTER DUMMIES.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I ONCE SAW SEVENTY EIGHT DRUMMERS AND NO HIPSTERS TOP THAT.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I TOO AGREE WITH SOLID STATE. I IMAGINE A LITTLE HIPSTER IN 2050 FINDING A CD-R OF THIS EVENT AND POSTING SOUNDCLIPS IN WAXIDERMY.

I CAN SMELL THE DOO-DOO ON A STICKNESS OF IT ALL FROM ARGENTINA.

dude you have absolutely no fucking idea what you're talking about but ok

You should definitely go (back?) to Ohio though. I hear it's soothing.

One thing that dude got wrong though is the lights. You need to turn ON the lights. It's way too dark in your apartment.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    pseudo-hipper than thou reactions

Can someone explain the difference between pseudo hipper than thou reactions and actual hipper than thou reactions to me?

Thanks in advance.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I knew this thread had potential.

• a rabbi once told me that people who flaunt their new york-ness are almost never from new york

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    pseudo-hipper than thou reactions

Can someone explain the difference between pseudo hipper than thou reactions and actual hipper than thou reactions to me?

Thanks in advance.

IRONIC THIN TIE WITH SHORT SLEEVED SHIRT

hahaha oh jesus

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    dude you have absolutely no fucking idea what you're talking about but ok

You should definitely go (back?) to Ohio though. I hear it's soothing.

One thing that dude got wrong though is the lights. You need to turn ON the lights. It's way too dark in your apartment.