Anyone in NY see the Boredoms w/ 77 drummers?

124»

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    it still boggles my mind how many hipster threads there are here or just the high number of non-hipster threads that devolve into that. what do they look like? what do they listen to? delusional shit, like nothing you guys are into can be construed or perceived as "hip"... such as, oh i don't know, collecting rare records or flossing your sneakers? at this point it feels like hipsters calling other hipsters hipsters and it's weird to me how people still get really up in arms about it and put so much self-conscious energy into convincing others that they're not one of them. i can't believe people care so much with the same hipster rant after a few decades of this.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

You sound hipsterish.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    "Jesus Fucking Eye Christ"

But did they have Breaks

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Why is it that you always appear at the end of threads to summarize and make conclusions?
    You sound like Barney at the end of each episode.

1) Despite having a 2.5 year old, I've never watched "Barney" so your reference flies over my head. I suppose that would make you a Barney-hipster or me disconnected from Barney-isms.

2) I wasn't aware that we had reached the "end of the thread" considering there's now more posts AFTER mine than before it.

3) You're just asshurt that folks are calling you out on what is small-minded thinking. It happens.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    No I wasn't. You're the one who's all I looooooove the Boredoms and ain't even get the two albums I name-dropped. Step up yr reading comprehension, Maestro.

Haha. "Maestro". You sound ridiculous.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    i was in line from around 3 to 6:30. when i was about 300 feet from the entrance (20 minutes prior to the start) the cops proclaimed the park to be filled to capacity. i ended up watching the show from the brooklyn bridge.. as did a couple hundred other people. the worst part about this whole thing was seeing the tons of empty spots in the park from the vantage point of the bridge. they could've easily let another 500 people in.

• No I wasn't. You're the one who's all I looooooove the Boredoms and ain't even get the two albums I name-dropped. Step up yr reading comprehension, Maestro.

Haha. "Maestro". You sound ridiculous.

Yeah, well, the dude from the Twisted Sister videos doesn't think so.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

1) Despite having a 2.5 year old, I've never watched "Barney" so your reference flies over my head. I suppose that would make you a Barney-hipster or me disconnected from Barney-isms.

2) I wasn't aware that we had reached the "end of the thread" considering there's now more posts AFTER mine than before it.

3) You're just asshurt that folks are calling you out on what is small-minded thinking. It happens.

I've never seen anybody get ass-hurt over a JLR joke.

Guess there's a first time for everything ...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    with a little brother who used to watch barney, i thought it was kinda funny. though it's more like jerry springer's final thoughts.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I've never seen anybody get ass-hurt over a JLR joke.

Guess there's a first time for everything ...

Oops, I did confuse JLR with Solid State 16 so plaese to disregard #3.

Otherwise, I still stand by my Barney-ism disconnections.

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
    i sat behind Chris Powell from Man Man and dude is real tight on the kit.

?

shouldn't you be standing outside of desnivel waiting for some bife scraps?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Why I was
    even there was a long story.

actually, it's raher short: you are a hipster

Nice try. It was "date with hipster girl" related.

so, they are inconvenient when trying to buy milk but it's OK to fuck them?

HYPOCRITAL HIPSTER ALERT

You don't buy the milk, you suckle it. From the teats. While they knit you a sweater. But that is only if your pimp hand is heavy like transcendental drumming experience.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i guess i can understand calling it a drum circle cause the thing spirals out, but i always thought of drum circles as nothing but congas and bongos where as here there are not only full kits, but vocals, electronic oscillator sounds and other instrumentation such as that 'guitar fence' thing. aren't drum circles only just drums? if you have to compare it to something, it reminds me more of a drumline with the tight snare action, except instead of designating snares and cymbals to separate sections, each person has a full variety of percussion at their disposal.

• Are there *ever* shows in New York (BK specifically) that aren't infested with
    hipsters?

Yes.

From another mb:

"One more thing, I just came from the MC Hammer, MC Lyte, Slick Rick and Dougie Fresh show, where at least 15,000 people filled a football field. The line was more then three times as long as 77 Drum. It was absurd long....but EVERYONE got in, even WITH a Hip Hop appropriate security pat down from Islamic Security provided by a local mosque. Oh, and yeah, this was in one of the last low cost neighborhoods left in Brooklyn that's yet to go through gentrification...meaning the crowd had NYPD out in force. We're not talking condo lofts, we're talking Section8 housing, and this event served the community, so families had something cool to do on a hot Summer night. The whole thing went down without incident. The difference was experienced promoters, community groups, city officials making proclamations, and oh yeah, experienced promoters. It was night and day."

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Are there *ever* shows in New York (BK specifically) that aren't infested with
    hipsters?

Yes.

From another mb:

"One more thing, I just came from the MC Hammer, MC Lyte, Slick Rick and Dougie Fresh show, where at least 15,000 people filled a football field. The line was more then three times as long as 77 Drum. It was absurd long....but EVERYONE got in, even WITH a Hip Hop appropriate security pat down from Islamic Security provided by a local mosque. Oh, and yeah, this was in one of the last low cost neighborhoods left in Brooklyn that's yet to go through gentrification...meaning the crowd had NYPD out in force. We're not talking condo lofts, we're talking Section8 housing, and this event served the community, so families had something cool to do on a hot Summer night. The whole thing went down without incident. The difference was experienced promoters, community groups, city officials making proclamations, and oh yeah, experienced promoters. It was night and day."

Or perhaps the difference lies in the capacity of the venue?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

hipsters?

Yes.

From another mb:

See, now you've made me REALLY jealous. I thought it was bad to miss the Boredoms with 77 drummers, but you're telling me I missed HAMMER? IN THE PROJECTS?!?!?

Fuck.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

hipsters?

Yes.

From another mb:

See, now you've made me REALLY jealous. I thought it was bad to miss the Boredoms with 77 drummers, but you're telling me I missed HAMMER? IN THE PROJECTS?!?!?

Fuck.

fuggin' funny!

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts

i saw the here comes the hammer 12" once and there were multiple mc hammers on the cover wearing a leopard leotard with no shirt underneath showing off his physique but with the goofiest smile i have ever seen.

then i turned it over and the back had just that smile tiled all across the back of it, seriously must have been a few hundred just rows and rows of hammer smile.

like this:

• See, now you've made me REALLY jealous. I thought it was bad to miss the Boredoms with 77 drummers, but you're telling me I missed HAMMER? IN THE PROJECTS?!?!?

Fuck.

Slick Rick the Ruler

Doug E. Fresh

MC Lyte

MC HAMMER!!!!!!!!

He better have closed.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Motherfuckers are acting like it's cool to go hang out in East New York or some shit.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

hipsters?

Yes.

From another mb:

Fuck.

Hammer was hot for a minute with that Vipers Bite thing.

No Hipsters at the Nucleus gig last year. Pretty much no anybody!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Motherfuckers are acting like it's cool to go hang out in East New York or some shit.

but thats the cool, dare I say, "Hip" thing to do now...soak up the sqaulor, shit, they now have Favela tours in Rio, Bustours in NO's Ninth Ward, and when that Hustle and Flow movie came out, fuckin' MTV was doing shows about North Memphis and Frayser as if it was the "cool" place to hang because that is where the "Pimps" are...shit is ridiculous...I think dude is showing us who the real "hipster" is....

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts

but thats the cool, dare I say, "Hip" thing to do now...soak up the sqaulor, shit, they now have Favela tours in Rio, Bustours in NO's Ninth Ward, and when that Hustle and Flow movie came out, fuckin' MTV was doing shows about North Memphis and Frayser as if it was the "cool" place to hang because that is where the "Pimps" are...shit is ridiculous...I think dude is showing us who the real "hipster" is....

b-b-b-but they don't even have gentrification there yet.

dare i say it's too legit to quit?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    wow nice to see soulstrut is still mired in the same ole same ole

the drummer for one of my bands was there:

rape donks - i never see living water on msn? i cant ichat from the office. hope all is rockin

peace

• Oh snap they all had full kits and shit? I take it all back.

• I was responding to you AND the pic, natch.

the drummer for one of my bands was there:

rape donks - i never see living water on msn? i cant ichat from the office. hope all is rockin

peace

who is this Dubious?

p.s. post more please

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    that's my buddy mike catano ...I've played in bands with him since i was about 17... long long time now.. we are old. sick sick drummer.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

I read this just after finishing Andr?? Breton's essay on the backlash against cubism. They share some similarities:

The public which cried "Hoax!" -- must indeed have felt frustrated, in some obscure way, as though it had been thrown off balance and deprived of the agreeable repose which it was wont to enjoy in the 'faithful' reproduction of the familiar.

Sorry to have missed it. Edith, here's a more complete list of drummers:

Drum leaders:

1)*Hisham Bharoocha (Soft Circle / Pixeltan)
    2)*Tim Dewit (Gang Gang Dance)
    3)*Brian Chippendale (Lightning Bolt)
    4)*Dave Nuss (No Neck Blues Band / Under Satans Sun)
    5)*Jaiko Suzuki (Electro Putas)
    6)*Jesse Lee (White Magic)
    7)*Ryan Sawyer (Tall Firs / Stars Like Fleas)
    8)*Kid Millions (Oneida)
    9)*Andy McLeod (Howling Hex / Modest Mouse)
    10)Aaron Moore
    11)*Robin Easton

Other drummers:

12)*Sara Lund (Unwound)
    13)*Jim Black
    14)*Andrew W.K.
    15)*Butchy Fuego (Pit Er Pat)
    16)*Miggie (Blood On The Wall)
    17)*Brian Tamborello (Psychic Ills)
    18)*Andee Connors (A Minor Forest / Lumen)
    19)*John Moloney (Sunburned Hand of the Man)
    20)*Taylor Richardson (Sunburned Hand of the Man)
    21)*Chris Millstein
    22)*Abby Portner (First Nation)
    23)*Aviram Cohen (Soiled Mattress and The Springs)
    24)*Allison Busch (Awesome Color)
    25)*Warren Huegel (Tussle)
    26)*Nathan Corbin (Excepter)
    27)*Clare Amory
    28)*Jonathan Lockie (Sightings)
    29)*Josh Bonati (Aa)
    30)*Nadav Havusha (Aa)
    31)*Aron Wahl (Aa)
    32)*Jeffrey Salane (Panthers)
    33)*Jim Sykes
    34)*David Aron (Koi Pond)
    35)*Michael Catano
    36)*Spencer Herbst (Matta Lama)
    37)*Jim Siegel (Cul De Sac and Damo Suzuki)
    38)*Mike Pride (MDC, FUSHITSUSHA, John Zorn, Otomo Yoshihide)
    39)*Nick DeCarmine
    40)*Marianne Kozlowski (The Punks)
    41)*Than Luu (M. Ward)
    42)Dave Bergander (Celebration)
    43)*Michael Evans (God Is My Co-Pilot)
    44)*Andrya Ambro
    45)*Justin DeRosa
    46)*Hart Mingus (Negative Approach)
    47)*matthias schulz (Enon/Holy Fuck)
    48)*Josh Madell (Antietam, Other Music)
    49)*Matt (No Neck Blues Band)
    50)*Jim Abramson (Dymaxion)
    51)*Oran Canfield (Child Abuse)
    52)*Adriana Maga??a (Crash Worship)
    53)*Keith Connolly (No Neck Blues Band)
    54)*Travis Harrison
    55)*Jared Barron
    56)*Jason Kourkounis (Delta 72 / Hot Snakes)
    57)*Eric Cohen (Caroliner)
    58)*Daniel Franz (Arbouretum)
    59)*Christopher Brokaw (Codeine)
    60)*Jared Burak (Wet Cement)
    61)*Christopher Powell (Icy Demons/Man Man)
    62) *Sadie Laska (I.U.D.)
    63)*Pete Vogl (Koi Pond)
    64)*Barbara Schauwecker
    65)*AJ Edminson (Favourite Sons)
    66)*David Grubbs
    67)*John McSwain (VICE)
    68)*Dave Abramson (Climax Golden Twins)
    69)*Alan Licht
    70)*Rick Prior
    71)*Kayrock
    72)*Dave LeBleu (Prefuse 73/Mercury Program)
    73)*Lizzy Bougatsos (Gang Gang Dance)
    74)*Alianna Kalaba (We Ragazzi)