The new kanye joint

Comments

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    to each their own. For real.
    i'm fine with this but then there's not much to discuss! i dont mean this as, like, a personal attack, folks can feel free to like whatever, i just think its interesting to argue about why some of us are or aren't feeling it, to figure out the perspectives were coming from

I love how Deej is always like "Let's talk about how the music sounds," but people stating that they like "how the music sounds" isn't enough for him. What exactly do you want? How can we effectively talk about "how the music sounds" in a way that will accurately appease you, deej? Do we have to speak specifically about which particular notes and drum hits we like?

A. I find the beat compelling: it's got a lot of energy to it, it's got a nice tone/feel to it (not melancholy nor overly triumphant--but timbres of both), and I think the four on the floor house rhythm is really effective and infectuous. Why I think these things? I don't know, Deej. I just do. It works for me.

B. As for his lyrics, I think he kills it! Dude is relentlessly funny, clever, and the obnoxious dude we expect him to be:

"i don't know if you got a man or not,
    if you made plans or not
    god put me in the plans or not
    i'm trippin' this drink got me sayin' a lot
    but i know that god put you in front of me
    so how the hell could you front on me
    there's a thousand you's there's only one of me"

"i'd do anything for a blonde-dike
    and she'll do anything for the limelight"

"you know how long i've been on ya?
    since prince was on apollonia
    since OJ had isotoners
    don't act like i never told ya"

You find it unconvincing, I find it funny and fun. Perhaps there's no complex 'phors available, but I find Kanye's complexity interesting no
    matter how many times it's done over and over the same way I find Al Green's heartbreaking voice compelling now matter how many times it's done over and over.

If you don't like it, fine. But you're not so much interested in figuring out the different perspectives as you are trying to show that your perspective is way better than everyone else's.

I like this shit.

And Dani*l, as much as you'd like to ride for this song to combat Deej, I guarantee, you don't.

-e

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Dude is relentlessly funny, clever, and the obnoxious dude we expect him to be:

i agree he is relentlessly obnoxious.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    to each their own. For real.
    i'm fine with this but then there's not much to discuss! i dont mean this as, like, a personal attack, folks can feel free to like whatever, i just think its interesting to argue about why some of us are or aren't feeling it, to figure out the perspectives were coming from

I love how Deej is always like "Let's talk about how the music sounds," but people stating that they like "how the music sounds" isn't enough for him. What exactly do you want? How can we effectively talk about "how the music sounds" in a way that will accurately appease you, deej? Do we have to speak specifically about which particular notes and drum hits we like?

I believe phrases like "rhythmic work" would suffice.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Dude is relentlessly funny, clever, and the obnoxious dude we expect him to be:

i agree he is relentlessly obnoxious.

Deej or kanye?

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i would say maybe the instrumental would work in the club, but then that would just be a pitched down daft punk track...and i already know that works in the club. i'm going to see daft punk next month at coney island...maybe kanye will make an appearance

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    this reminds me so much of the Amerie thread from last year it's scary

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    was it about the meters sample?

edith head= GOAT hitchcock costume designer

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i've only heard this song once and thought it was whatever but if let's me hear the neptunes remix of the OG while i'm out then i'm happy

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Frapping more didactically since 1986!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i've only heard this song once and thought it was whatever but if let's me hear the neptunes remix of the OG while i'm out then i'm happy

what?

it was a lot of things. young phonics asked people if they could give examples of an 'club banger with an organic sound' and it ended up being like 5 pages of just discussing '1 Thing' and it became a debate about how it isn't a real club banger and so on with a lot of definitions and nitpicking about the difference between a groove and a rhythm or something. i can't remember it all.

it was a lot of things. young phonics asked people if they could give examples of an 'club banger with an organic sound' and it ended up being like 5 pages of just discussing '1 Thing' and it became a debate about how it isn't a real club banger and so on with a lot of definitions and nitpicking about the difference between a groove and a rhythm or something. i can't remember it all.

'1 Thing' is dumb hot. Still.

:5pager:

sorry don't mean to hijack. back to kanye:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i still remember saying "1 thing" isn't no "crazy in love" (as far as crowd jumpoff status goes) and getting shit for it. i still stand behind that

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i still remember saying "1 thing" isn't no "crazy in love" (as far as crowd jumpoff status goes) and getting shit for it. i still stand behind that

Really, you got shit for that? I'd think most folks would have agreed that while "One thing" was pretty good, "Crazy in Love" = >.

Really, you got shit for that? I'd think most folks would have agreed that while "One thing" was pretty good, "Crazy in Love" = >.

well only "as far as [ignorant] crowd jumpoff status goes."

I don't think anyone who likes music would seriously claim "Crazy in Love" (really just an annoying song-long chorus) is superior to "One Thing."

:5pager:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think it was more because i was supporting deej than anything. i don't really blame people in that case...

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

aside from amerie's living room, i can't imagine there is party anywhere in the world where "1 thing" is gonna go over better than "crazy in love" in 2007 and beyond.

aside from amerie's living room, i can't imagine there is party anywhere in the world where "1 thing" is gonna go over better than "crazy in love" in 2007 and beyond.

[desperately trying to get this amerie 5 pager goign again] which is sad sonsidering the latter is crap and the former is heat. [/desperately trying to get this amerie 5 pager goign again]

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1 Thing > Crazy in Love

1 Thing > Crazy in Love

obviously.

Anywhoo...back to Kanye...

"Stronger" > "This is Why I'm Hot"?

Discuss.

Speaking of 5 pagers...

AMY WINEHOUSE WENT PLATINUM.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Speaking of 5 pagers...

Those are a million people that I don't know.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    GET THAT PAPER MARK

*yawn*

how could it have gone any other way really?

people won't shut up about her, and when people hear enough about someone they buy his/her album.

*yawn*

how could it have gone any other way really?

people won't shut up about her, and when people hear enough about someone they buy his/her album.

+ A lot of people take their lifestyle cues from Starbucks

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this is v similar to amerie thread in that i am being v. serious and you guys are enjoying clowning me, as well as willfully misreading what i'm saying and making up fake arguments that i'm not actually saying (i.e. i want kanye to spit "'plex 'phors") bcuz you dont actually feel like actually discussing music beyond 'it bangs' vs. 'it blows'

i mean wtf emil - obv i'm being humorless/overserious in this thread so i get why u guys get all amped up at disagreeing w/ me but seriously, i love music and there is a near-infinite number of ways to discuss and make observations and share insights about it without lazy ass arguments about folks who aren't feeling it 'dont go to the club' or whatever.

i understand that what i'm saying comes across as like, 'i'm right you're wrong' and i don't really intend it to. MY BAD. But I'm sorry, i just find threads that are absent discussion or that turn into corny one-liners and disses rather than actual discussions of the music in question to be silly.

And you guys are silly if you don't understand the difference between 'groove' and 'rhythm,' thats some fucking basic musicology.

this is v similar to amerie thread in that i am being v. serious and you guys are enjoying clowning me, as well as willfully misreading what i'm saying and making up fake arguments that i'm not actually saying (i.e. i want kanye to spit "'plex 'phors") bcuz you dont actually feel like actually discussing music beyond 'it bangs' vs. 'it blows'

i mean wtf emil - obv i'm being humorless/overserious in this thread so i get why u guys get all amped up at disagreeing w/ me but seriously, i love music and there is a near-infinite number of ways to discuss and make observations and share insights about it without lazy ass arguments about folks who aren't feeling it 'dont go to the club' or whatever.

Deej against the world! Holler if you hear him!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dude deej can you at least put some effort into your posts to make them remotely readable?