The new kanye joint

1234568»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    observations like "the beat is not really doing any rhythmic work"
    is that from the amerie thread? because i never said that here

if its from that one it also sounds out of context as fuck

Yes, it was from the Amerie thread.

But there is no imaginable context in which it would make sense.

i can only imagine i said it like "the beat is not really doing any rhythmic work to a certain specific end," the rhythm doesn't lock in to a firm predictable groove but since we're still debating the diff between 'rhythm' and 'groove' a year later i dont really want to get into this again

Anyone can go on & on about nothing. When are you going to post some raer already? You wanna be down so bad? Step up to the plate, kid, & drop some heat.
    i am not a collecteur

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    When are you going to post some raer already?

There's no evidence that deej actually buys records.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    When are you going to post some raer already?

There's no evidence that deej actually buys records.
    there's no evidence i've ever fronted like i am a collector either
    i prefer music

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    I never said you fronted. Just pointing out the obvious, you are the sole non-record buyer in a record enthusiast forum.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I never said you fronted. Just pointing out the obvious, you are the sole non-record buyer in a record enthusiast forum.
    i doubt this
    although i do 'buy records' but i am not concerned w/ things like collectability or value or raerity

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    Well, there's a half-hour of my life I'll never get back.

My two, for what it's worth. Kanye is now pretty much a pop artist, or at least the kind of rap artist that pop fans will comfortably cosign. What he's done on this joint shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone. Personally, I think it's nothing at all special, although I could certainly imagine it hitting in the club. What's more bewildering to me about this discussion are the following points;

1) Kanye's lyrics/skills on the mic - I can't believe people are actually still bothered about this. Strictly within the context of a Kanye record, what he does is fine. In fact, sometimes it's really good. Comparing him to [insert name of gold standard emcee here] is some apples and oranges shit, and kinda pointless to me.

2) The artistic validity of The Club Banger - all I have to say about this is that some people, even us greybeards, still like a rap record you can dance to every now and again. Sounding hot for a few months in the clubb is more than a lot of more feted records seem able to manage nowadays. I fail to see what's wrong with an artist aiming for a particular effect with their music and succeeding at it.

3) People who hate on Ye for no reason other than his popularity - these earnest and committed Enemies of Fun who seem to believe that, unless a record achieves a kind of full spectrum dominance of artistic expression, it can't possibly have any worth or value can carry on eating a big bag of dicks.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Enemies of Fun

Deej's vocabulary has been turned against him!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i feel misrepresented so i'm apparently not being as clear as i think i am, but whats the point any more

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i feel misrepresented so i'm apparently not being as clear as i think i am, but whats the point any more

Oh deej, don't sulk--you know you're one of my favorite posters.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    never mind

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

3) People who hate on Ye for no reason other than his popularity - these earnest and committed Enemies of Fun[/b] who seem to believe that, unless a record achieves a kind of full spectrum dominance of artistic expression, it can't possibly have any worth or value can carry on eating a big bag of dicks.

-----------------

Thanks man!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts

3) People who hate on Ye for no reason other than his popularity - these earnest and committed Enemies of Fun[/b] who seem to believe that, unless a record achieves a kind of full spectrum dominance of artistic expression, it can't possibly have any worth or value can carry on eating a big bag of dicks.

-----------------

Thanks man!

I like to spread a little happiness.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Oh deej, don't sulk--you know you're one of my favorite posters.

Damn right I kissed my daddy!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

lol, you know were all just fucking around on the internets. I dont really have anything against you man, and you got me back with that soundclick bit anyways.

dont take it so hard.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

In seriousness though, deej, SoulStrut was around for years before you arrived and the community and its modes of discussion were pretty much fully formed by the time you got here.

If you're frustrated that nobody takes observations like "the beat is not really doing any rhythmic work" seriously, then maybe you save those observations for ILX.

but it is hard to imagine how this place ever existed without every thread devolving into a deej clown fest

and if you guys are getting assburnt over a so-so song like "stronger" just wait til you hear kanye's next single - truly

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Finally bothered to listen to the song...

1. That's got to be Kanye's laziest production to date.

2. The rapping ain't all that bad...and I typically can't stand to hear Kanye rap.

3. So are Anti Pop Consortium records about to spike in popularity?

3a. If I ever sell a Nitzer Ebb record on eBay, should I be proactive and put the word BREAKS in its subject line?

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    3a. If I ever sell a Nitzer Ebb record on eBay, should I be proactive and put the word BREAKS in its subject line?

Only if spelled as 'BRAKES'.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    make you breihan