The new kanye joint

Comments

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    yeah it's just the vocals but it seems to be the main hook of the whole kanye song. that daft punk track is like 4 years old now...i still play out remixes of it all the time, it's wicked. it's really weird to hear it lifted and used really un-creatively in a boring mainstream hip-pop track.

I think Kanye flips part of the Daft Punk beat too - but way slower and not all parts of it.

I fail to see how this qualifies as "Puffy-esque."

Me niether... not that I care. I think the song is hot.

-e

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah - I don't think it's the best thing Kanye's ever made but people's hate for him and his music doesn't really square with the reality that he's actually made, you know, some pretty good songs.

Are people really going to say they didn't enjoy his "Throw Some Ds" remix?

Really?

And his shit on the new Common album is very, very good.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Yeah - I don't think it's the best thing Kanye's ever made but people's hate for him and his music doesn't really square with the reality that he's actually made, you know, some pretty good songs.

Are people really going to say they didn't enjoy his "Throw Some Ds" remix?

Really?

And his shit on the new Common album is very, very good.

I will agree with you on the Common tracks. The Throw Some D's track was just him rappin over polow's beat though right (or was there a completely new remixed beat to it)? and while it was mildly amusing, he still sucks ass as a rapper.

Kanye's production has only gone downhill after stepping out on his own. His best shit still is when he did for Roc-A-Fella. I guess if you like Pop music, though then his shit works, personally I just can't listen to it.

And seriously the argument that its dope because it hits in the club is tired as hell. I am not playing 90% of the music I hear in the club outside of a club even if it hits there.

Kanye's production has only gone downhill after stepping out on his own. His best shit still is when he did for Roc-A-Fella. I guess if you like Pop music, though then his shit works, personally I just can't listen to it.

Obviously, this is all very subjective, but I couldn't disagree more. I think he made some great stuff WITH the R.O.C. and on his own. I loved the sound of his last album - in parts - and sure, part of it is that he makes pretty decent "pop music" (say, "golddigger") but shit like "Late" or "Heard 'Em Say" are not "pop" in any conventional sense even if they're also not some boom bap shit either.

To me, he's one of the most imaginative hip-hop producers out there ("Stronger" excepted) which isn't to say that he's the only beatmaker worth talking about but I just find the general dismissal of him to be surprising. I think a lot of folks are turned off by his attitude (and I can understand that) but musically speaking, I think he's just as relevant now as he ever was.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't understand why people are getting all amped about it.

It's a pop song, it does what it does.

Personally, I think it's an uninteresting beat, I would rather hear a million things in the club before this, and as far as outside of it... the shit is just cheezy. Any of you dudes riding for this beat would pull up with this shit jamming? I think that would be comedy. I'd actually rather listen to Puff.

"the people" is my shit though.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    its his attitude in songs that i've found annoying lately, not his attitude 'irl' - smarmy silliness, self-important. Late period jay-z self-mythologizing. boring.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Obviously, this is all very subjective, but I couldn't disagree more. I think he made some great stuff WITH the R.O.C. and on his own. I loved the sound of his last album - in parts - and sure, part of it is that he makes pretty decent "pop music" (say, "golddigger") but shit like "Late" or "Heard 'Em Say" are not "pop" in any conventional sense even if they're also not some boom bap shit either.

To me, he's one of the most imaginative hip-hop producers out there ("Stronger" excepted) which isn't to say that he's the only beatmaker worth talking about but I just find the general dismissal of him to be surprising. I think a lot of folks are turned off by his attitude (and I can understand that) but musically speaking, I think he's just as relevant now as he ever was.

Sorry i think Just Blaze made the dopest beat on his last album. the rest was Beccky fodder for days and it seems this album will be even more along those lines.

And I'm not mad, just my ope-in-eon. I think these days these huge producers have to make sure they are viewed as pop within the industry since the money in rap is leaving in droves. He is taking queues from timbaland and has to keep those checks coming in to maintain his:

Personally, I think it's an uninteresting beat, I would rather hear a million things in the club before this, and as far as outside of it... the shit is just cheezy. Any of you dudes riding for this beat would pull up with this shit jamming? I think that would be comedy. I'd actually rather listen to Puff.

I'd rather listen to this ahead of late '90s Puff-y pieces but yeah, it's not about to blow up the summer for me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    'touch the sky' was just as much - if not more - 'becky fodder' than 'gone' or whatever.

its not the beats that are sinking him, its whole song concepts, i can't understand how people can take him seriously or think that anything he's saying 'matters' - its like all these empty delusions of grandeur or something.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    its his attitude in songs that i've found annoying lately, not his attitude 'irl' - smarmy silliness, self-important. Late period jay-z self-mythologizing. boring.

MAD AT KANYE BECAUSE HE IS THE HIPSTER YOU ASPIRE TO BE

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I'd rather listen to this ahead of late '90s Puff-y pieces but yeah, it's not about to blow up the summer for me.
    i assume yr talking about, like 'come with me' or whatever? Because i would rather listen to most of the hitmen's productions from the late 90s than what kanye has been churning out. you can't say d-dot and stevie j weren't underrated. Or Amen ra.

I would take "No Way Out," "Harlem World," maybe even Shyne's record, Black Rob's record ... all of those over the last Kanye. And I like the last Kanye alright

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's not his attitude that puts me off - tons of artists are egotistical. I just think his music is pretty stale, copycat, and appeals to a pop mindset of in the moment catchyness. People flipped when they heard all the sped up vocal samples on College Dropout when people had been doing that for years. Then dude samples Ray Charles right around the time that Ray comes out. Works with Jon Brion right when dude is at his peak as a producer. Now he's sampling Daft Punk - you don't even know how many conversations I've had over the past 6 months about how if you put on Daft Punk at a party, it's a like a dancefloor anthem. It's not too creative to just mooch off whatever is popular at the moment and just use star power to sell records - never has, never will.

A Kanye hit is fun to listen to a few times - they're always catchy and I laugh at the awkward rhymes. I don't mind him any more than I mind any of the other hip-pop stars of the moment. It's when people and dumbass writers make him out as some sort of musical genius that I flip out. To call him creative is really an insult to everyone he's biting and to truly creative people who sell records based on merit, not by being a public figure.

'touch the sky' was just as much - if not more - 'becky fodder' than 'gone' or whatever.

its not the beats that are sinking him, its whole song concepts, i can't understand how people can take him seriously or think that anything he's saying 'matters' - its like all these empty delusions of grandeur or something.

Uh, unlike every OTHER rapper?

to each their own. For real.

I don't know man I gotta ride with the one Deej, Puff's shit up until like that Godzilla Zeppelin shit is killing this.

The only dude I can see really enjoying this record is Emil. Everyone else yall are riding for some shit you don't even believe in. I can see the weakness of a man right through his iris! These dudes hearts pump kool-aid!

BSides I know you can make a better track than this.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Uh, unlike every OTHER rapper?
    no not at all - most rappers dont just SAY they're the baddest, they back it up lyrically, show don't tell.
    I stand 5 foot 10, 200 & half 100 percent gangsta dont smile and dont laff in a 3 inch shirt nigga 38
    waist. I aint small mothafucka im takin up some space with a size 11 shoe that'll kick u in yo face bitch
    im all about a crime and ready to catch a case.

but w/ kanye its just relentless tell don't show, like late period jay-z; its only effective if you buy what they're selling, which i did even thru parts of the black album - he had the history and years in the game as a great rapper to back up talking shit without backing it up; by the time all his 'comeback' verses came around though it just all sounded so empty.

i feel the same way about kanye. He's not saying anything. toothless rapping.
    Let up the suice doors
    This is my life homey, you decide yours (Oh oh oh oh oh)
    I know that Jesus died for us
    But I couldn't tell ya who decide wars (Why are we...late)
    So I parrallel double parked that motherfucker sideways
    Old folks talking bout back in my day (Oh oh oh oh oh)
    But homey this is my day, class started 2 hours ago
    Oh am I late? (Oh oh oh oh oh)
    You know I already graduated
    And you can live through anything if Magic made it (Oh oh oh oh oh)
    They say I talk with so much emphasis
    Uhhh they so sensitive (Why are we...late)
    Don't ever fix your lips like colligen
    And say something when you gon end up apologing (Oh oh oh oh oh)
    Let me know if it's a problem man, aight man, holla then

he's just repeating old boring themes he's already gone over, there's nothing to metaphorically sink yr teeth in to vs. that bun verse i quoted @ top of the page

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

:

Oh yeah I could see Jaymack riding for this. I didn't mean to lump you in with these little dudes who can't get it how they live.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i'm fine with this but then there's not much to discuss! i dont mean this as, like, a personal attack, folks can feel free to like whatever, i just think its interesting to argue about why some of us are or aren't feeling it, to figure out the perspectives were coming from

I don't know man I gotta ride with the one Deej, Puff's shit up until like that Godzilla Zeppelin shit is killing this.

You gonna ride over the cliff with deej on the Shyne/Black Rob albums?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

"Bad Boyz" > any song on the last kanye

i'm surprised you're so intent on defending the one kanye at this pt.

I can't fuck with Shyne, but I'll ride for a couple Black Rob joints.

"Bad Boyz" is a great track--and it's the only one on that album. Aside from the joint with the D.O.C. beat, there's nothing else on there that's even listenable.

The real coup de grace will be when deej proclaims the last Black Rob album better than Kanye's last album.

C'mon, deej, I know you have it in you!

"The Godfather" > "Stronger"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

The real coup de grace will be when deej proclaims the last Black Rob album better than Kanye's last album.

C'mon, deej, I know you have it in you!
    i said 'maybe' shyne and black rob's were 'better' than kanyes, but i'm 100% sure of which i'd rather listen to at a given moment. And yes id rather listen to the last black rob record too.

i still like the first kanye record a fair amount, and i think the second one is pretty solid, but as a rapper he's got a pretty small palette to draw on and the themes become more redundant and unfocused as time goes on until you have vague, terrible rehashed stuff like that 'can't tell me nothing' verse.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

"Bad Boyz" is a great track--and it's the only one on that album. Aside from the joint with the D.O.C. beat, there's nothing else on there that's even listenable.
    this is also wrong, for example that grace jones track that has barrington levy is also rather nice.
    i would listen to it while wearing linen pants

That track with Barrington - the girlie track, not Bad Boyz - kind of makes me cringe

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

what late 90s puffy songs are you talking about? the lox, biggie, lil kim, his solo stuff?

in the clubs, same with "stronger".

you guys sound old.

i'm fine with this but then there's not much to discuss! i dont mean this as, like, a personal attack, folks can feel free to like whatever, i just think its interesting to argue about why some of us are or aren't feeling it, to figure out the perspectives were coming from

Yes. Which is why I noted, simply, "to each their own."

Kanye is never going to be one of those dudes who's going to get universal acclaim. He annoys too many people and sure, I don't think he's a lyrical god but then again, a lot of the critiques you noted could just have easily been slapped on Eminem and even when I don't like a lot of what he does, I begrudgingly accept that his appeal isn't baseless.

In any case Bun B vs. Kayne is rather apples and oranges to me. I fear we're veering very close to "what makes a real MC" territory.