The new kanye joint

Comments

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    song is bangin[/b]

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    i get a kick out of these posts...it lets us know where peoples minds are at.
    some of yall like..some of yall hate.
    i dont think its all that bad...id rather just listen to the real song.
    kinda like alot of songs that get the bmore treatment.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

see, i like the kanye version better. Since when are you so hard on sampling kon?

i invented 'do u party?'!

blind praise for songs that get the dancefloor open is suspect. dave matthews used to get the crowd open too. big deal.

lazy, obvious sample. swizz beats already did the same gimmick, but bcuz kanye's doing it under the guise of 'artistry' vs. mercenary club banger you guys get all excited about how original it is.

also i dont really like the shop boyz but i still think the corny rocknroll gimmick is fresher than ripping daft punk. take that blog house shit to stereogum dot com

when the hell did dave matthews ever get the crowd open?
    how about the retarded numbers of people that bought his records?

i mean keep misreading me or whatever ... i know that you guys dont really have opinions until you see how 'the club' reacts but there's no need to play dumb

This from the originator of "Do you party?"
    people who party shouldn't be discerning?

It seems like "discerning party" should be part and parcel with "club compliance"

I would like to know where our discerning partier/compliant clubgoer is hearing Dave Matthews being played out...
    hey u willfully misreading retard, i was just making the shudderingly obvious observation that popular =/ good

Deej, it is fun to see you try so hard. But the hole is only getting deeper dude.

and we now know you've got a copy of under the table and dreaming stashed away in the closet with your birkenstocks and other unmentionables.

NAGAGUDLOOK BRAH!

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    1.) WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT KANYE WEST????????

2.) THAT EGOMANIAC PRICK DID NOT MAKE A DECENT BEAT IN THE LAST TWO YEARS

3.) HE'S FUCKING BORING, AND HAS THE MOST ANNOYING VOICE EVER......

4.) FUCK HIM AND THIS THREAD AS WELL..........

THIS SONG IS AWFUL.

see, i like the kanye version better. Since when are you so hard on sampling kon?

i cant stand trends and gimmicks. i like raw shit...what can i say im a purist.

im not hard on sampling...im just tired of lack of creativity across the board. if jacking ...a whole song and rapping over it is what gets yall amped..so be it. when puffy did it yall fronted. i see it as the same shit at this point...and i like alot of kanyes beats...im just not honored with his lateness on this... whats next, sampling bucketheads "the bomb" and him rapping over it...and cats being like "oh my god this bangs" ?

im surprised this thread got this many pages.

• This isnt even a new song, Its a tired daft punk song.

and...

Katsuhiro Otomo better be getting something from this, hes the only dude that deserves it.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

im not hard on sampling...im just tired of lack of creativity across the board. if jacking ...a whole song and rapping over it is what gets yall amped..so be it. when puffy did it yall fronted. i see it as the same shit at this point...and i like alot of kanyes beats...im just not honored with his lateness on this... whats next, sampling bucketheads "the bomb" and him rapping over it...and cats being like "oh my god this bangs" ?[/b]

Hollerboard little dudes run and start up there Abelton!

im not hard on sampling...im just tired of lack of creativity across the board. if jacking ...a whole song and rapping over it is what gets yall amped..so be it. when puffy did it yall fronted. i see it as the same shit at this point...and i like alot of kanyes beats...im just not honored with his lateness on this... whats next, sampling bucketheads "the bomb" and him rapping over it...and cats being like "oh my god this bangs" ?

Kon - I hear what you're saying but consider...

First of all, we've LONG passed the era where people, in general, are mad/suspect at what Puffy did in the past. In fact, I doubt it bothered most folks - just us purists but even among that group, I think folks have re-evaluated what Puffy used to do and aren't that annoyed anymore at hearing some old shit by him where he's rapping over "I Got 5 On It" or whatever. Maybe we've just been beat into submission by everyone else doing it though.

In any case, I don't quite see what Kanye is doing as being similar to Puffy, namely because Kanye is going cross-genre whereas Puffy was reusing "classic" rap beats. I don't know how many hip-hop headz rocked Daft Punk - I'm sure there were some - but for others, I don't know if they'd even realize, "oh, Kanye is flipping a Daft Punk beat." It's like when Lupe Fiasco used that I Monster song. Some folks knew that, others probably assumed it was some "new" shit.

Mind you - I don't think "Stronger" is some genius shit. You call it a "gimmick". I call it, "strategic cross genre targeting". I mean, 'Ye has made songs with Maroon 5 and John Mayer. Going Daft Punk isn't much new. If anything, it's edgier.

BUT - if you really see what he's doing as being, more or less, the same as Puffy rhyming over "My Uzi Weighs a Ton" (one of the low points in my memory of that era), then I can see why you're bored to tears of "Stronger" or, more to the point, disdainful of the practice.

To me, it's not the same. But I definitely do NOT want to hear an album of Kanyelectronica, regardless.

First of all, we've LONG passed the era where people, in general, are mad/suspect at what Puffy did in the past. In fact, I doubt it bothered most folks - just us purists but even among that group, I think folks have re-evaluated what Puffy used to do and aren't that annoyed anymore at hearing some old shit by him where he's rapping over "I Got 5 On It" or whatever. Maybe we've just been beat into submission by everyone else doing it though.

In any case, I don't quite see what Kanye is doing as being similar to Puffy, namely because Kanye is going cross-genre whereas Puffy was reusing "classic" rap beats. I don't know how many hip-hop headz rocked Daft Punk - I'm sure there were some - but for others, I don't know if they'd even realize, "oh, Kanye is flipping a Daft Punk beat." It's like when Lupe Fiasco used that I Monster song. Some folks knew that, others probably assumed it was some "new" shit.

Mind you - I don't think "Stronger" is some genius shit. You call it a "gimmick". I call it, "strategic cross genre targeting". I mean, 'Ye has made songs with Maroon 5 and John Mayer. Going Daft Punk isn't much new. If anything, it's edgier.

BUT - if you really see what he's doing as being, more or less, the same as Puffy rhyming over "My Uzi Weighs a Ton" (one of the low points in my memory of that era), then I can see why you're bored to tears of "Stronger" or, more to the point, disdainful of the practice.

To me, it's not the same. But I definitely do NOT want to hear an album of Kanyelectronica, regardless.

Oliver...
    I see it like k-os rapping over pal joeys hot music...i dont wanna hear it. im not tricked. give me the og.

i get the formulaic strategy...but he dont need it....as you noted, maroon 5 etc..he already got xover exposure.

puffy sampling lets dance, that was NEVER a rap classic, nor was diana ross, or led zep, or the police...
    im saying what you said- "But I definitely do NOT want to hear an album of Kanyelectronica, regardless"

for the art of samplings sake...what did 'ye do any different than puff ? adding some drums and rapping...same thing to me.
    i just dont think he flipped the daft punk sample at all...its recycled, with his larger than life attitude all up in my ears. epmd said it best- get off the bandwagon....

kanye needs to come see me...ill give him some samples he NEEDS to fuck with, better yet ill do the beat, he can buy it..say he did it and i will make more than cats sampling off our cds...asking for pub info and not coughing up consulting $$$
    i wont even use the love drums either.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    and we now know you've got a copy of under the table and dreaming stashed away in the closet with your birkenstocks and other unmentionables.

NAGAGUDLOOK BRAH!
    lol u know the name of a dmb album

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I don't know how many hip-hop headz rocked Daft Punk - I'm sure there were some - but for others, I don't know if they'd even realize, "oh, Kanye is flipping a Daft Punk beat."

yup. i'd have no idea, but from the interweb i knew it was a daft punk sample before i even heard the song. i never heard a daft punk song in my life. except "around the world" (if thats them)

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

kanye needs to come see me...ill give him some samples he NEEDS to fuck with, better yet ill do the beat, he can buy it..say he did it and i will make more than cats sampling off our cds...asking for pub info and not coughing up consulting $$$

lolol.... dudes be tryin' that ole bullschitt, don't they? man, they gots to PAY me for that publishing info, fo' real!

kanye needs to come see me...ill give him some samples he NEEDS to fuck with

But how do you feel about hand claps?

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    this is exactly what pop needed. something that isn't actually bad.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    can capn save a kanyes defend this

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    HIP HOP VALIDATED!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    can capn save a kanyes defend this

1.) Can human beings derive pleasure from being at such an event?

2.) Kanye can't freestyle, but neither can most rappers.

3.) I will still bust a move and get stronger.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Oliver...
    I see it like k-os rapping over pal joeys hot music...i dont wanna hear it. im not tricked. give me the og.

i get the formulaic strategy...but he dont need it....as you noted, maroon 5 etc..he already got xover exposure.

puffy sampling lets dance, that was NEVER a rap classic, nor was diana ross, or led zep, or the police...
    im saying what you said- "But I definitely do NOT want to hear an album of Kanyelectronica, regardless"

for the art of samplings sake...what did 'ye do any different than puff ? adding some drums and rapping...same thing to me.
    i just dont think he flipped the daft punk sample at all...its recycled, with his larger than life attitude all up in my ears. epmd said it best- get off the bandwagon....

thank you.

• 1.) WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT KANYE WEST????????

2.) THAT EGOMANIAC PRICK DID NOT MAKE A DECENT BEAT IN THE LAST TWO YEARS

3.) HE'S FUCKING BORING, AND HAS THE MOST ANNOYING VOICE EVER......

4.) FUCK HIM AND THIS THREAD AS WELL..........

THIS SONG IS AWFUL.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    holy shit this song sucks...i can't believe kanye is now puff daddy how pathetic.

i love daft punk, kanye should have left it alone.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    so, i finally heard the daft punk original, and am i wrong, or did he only sample the vocals?

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    yeah it's just the vocals but it seems to be the main hook of the whole kanye song. that daft punk track is like 4 years old now...i still play out remixes of it all the time, it's wicked. it's really weird to hear it lifted and used really un-creatively in a boring mainstream hip-pop track.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah he sampled the vocal hook - but it's basically the entire beat! I don't really consider comping several layers of chords underneath a huge sample like that "doing something" to the sample.

Seriously, I don't mind Kanye but this beat is weak.

yeah it's just the vocals but it seems to be the main hook of the whole kanye song. that daft punk track is like 4 years old now...i still play out remixes of it all the time, it's wicked. it's really weird to hear it lifted and used really un-creatively in a boring mainstream hip-pop track.

I think Kanye flips part of the Daft Punk beat too - but way slower and not all parts of it.

I fail to see how this qualifies as "Puffy-esque."

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    six years old