Essential Psych lp’s

TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
psych fans out there, what would you say are some absolutely ESSENTIAL psych lp's? im tryin to fill some gaps

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    james brown

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    damn son!! i heard he got that crack!!! gotta check him out

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Silver Apples

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    more like physc-folk but one record i've been listening to lately is John Martyn - "Solid Air"

as far as physc goes i recently picked up 13th floor elevators - bull of the woods and this baroques record both of which are pretty good.

as for essential, i wouldnt have a clue...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• Gong-You is a pretty good one for cheap. All the International Artists stuff is worth at least checking out on reish. Easter Everywhere is the shit. C.A. Quintet-Trip Thru Hell is a tough motherfucking record, and you don't have to spend 3,000
    dollars if you can stomach a reish on it. I don't know that much. I'm just shooting off a few random things. I know that I like psychedelics. Almost any music is psychedelic in my opinion, in that other aspects become apparent under the influence. It just made me more aware of patterns in music. Listening to the JBs on mushrooms during the daytime in the summer is perfect. Layers upon layers.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I've been really feeling this lately:

• St John Green!!!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    parliament- "osmium"
    count five- "psycotic reaction"
    zoo- "zoo"
    the cool- "pop sounds"
    arzachel- "arzachel"
    electric prunes-"release of an oath"
    kim fowley- "outrageous"
    lothar & the hand people- "presenting"
    the stooges- "the stooges"
    the lemon dips- "whos gonna buy"
    beat group- "beat group"
    tages- "2"
    um m m . . . i could go on forever. . stein. . .

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    cramps do a nice cover of physcotic reaction

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It's been said before, the last time we had an essential psych thread, but don't sleep on Hard Ride by the 1910 Fruitgum Company. They were known as a bubblegum band, but this LP (their last) was a conscious effort to go all-out psych, and it worked. Maybe two of these songs are straight-ahead pop ("Don't Have To Run & Hide" and "The Train"); the rest is pretty much what you're looking for. They almost got booked into the Fillmore East on the strength of this album, until the producers told the bookers who it was.

I'd also keep an eye out for Portraits by the Buckinghams. Like the Fruitgums, they were also known for poppish AM radio singles, but if you remove "Susan" and "Hey Baby, They're Playing Our Song," the rest of it is pretty experimental. By ANYBODY'S standards.

I'm recommending these two in particular because they're usually cheap. (And if you ever run across the Buckinghams' Made In Chicago compilation, know that sides three and four are the entire Portraits album.)

Edit: Mandrake Memorial and Puzzle by the Mandrake Memorial are on key...we were just mentioning them in the Poppy Records thread. Clear Light's album on Elektra (reissued on Sundazed) is a goodie as well.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    United States of America - ST
    New Hope - God of All of Us
    The Road - Cognition
    Blue Jays - Nascence
    Charisma - ST
    Ark 2 - Flaming Youth (Phil Collins on the Break!)
    Spleen - The Sound of Feeling

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Crome Syrcus - Love Cycle

Amazing stuff

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    TheMack, if someone tells you they are into Psych and don't count this off in their top TWO essential LPs, tell them to fuck right off.

Psych with a capital P starts here.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    laghonia - etcetera

.. but plan on getting the reissue.

• You got that right, son...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    WORD!!

off the top of the dome these are all totally essential:

Pink Floyd - Piper
    Pretty Things - SF Sorrow
    Bee Gees - First
    Idle Race - The Birthday Party
    Maitreya Sai Satya Kali - Apache / Inca
    Os Mutantes - 2nd LP
    Love - Forevor Changes
    Beach Boys - Smile
    Byrds - Notorious Byrds Bros
    Silver Apples - Contact
    Gandalf - ST

and my personal vote for GOAT:

West Coast Pop Art EXperimental Band - A Childs Guide To Good And Evil

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    the Floyd brought some shit of course but one of my faves NEVER gets their proper dap: the MISUNDERSTOOD, the earliest psych band that I'm aware of... after they moved to the UK they influenced a lot of the dudes who went on to start Floyd and the other early UK psych outfits... they were plagued with problems throughout their existance and I believe a couple 45s on Fontana is all that ever surfaced, but there are CDs available now with everything they ever recorded... BEFORE THE DREAM FADED is *highly* recommended...

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    while its not totally psych, still very much essential.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    the Floyd brought some shit of course but one of my faves NEVER gets their proper dap: the MISUNDERSTOOD, the earliest psych band that I'm aware of... after they moved to the UK they influenced a lot of the dudes who went on to start Floyd and the other early UK psych outfits... they were plagued with problems throughout their existance and I believe a couple 45s on Fontana is all that ever surfaced, but there are CDs available now with everything they ever recorded... BEFORE THE DREAM FADED is *highly* recommended...

buy this to read more(I still need to get a copy)

Big ups to San Diego's own Mike Stax, master of all things Beat and Psych related!
    Get Ugly Things on a regular basis and you'll never need to ask Soul Strut brethren nuthin about garage and psych. Except maybe "does anyone have a copy of XXX?"

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    currently, right now, this moment in time, while writing this, listening to David Matthews's Grodeck Whipperjenny album on People, funky fuzzy psychy....in other words, real nice !

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

These guys just look so 'Canadian'...

also, if the Stooges are being mentioned as 'psych' then the definition has become dangerously degraded.

---

also, if the Stooges are being mentioned as 'psych' then the definition has become dangerously degraded.

They're 'psych' if you mean 'psychotic'... but not psychedelic

• Options
    All the albums above are. What gave it away? If it wasn't for the lettering of "Platic Cloud" (and the name, I guess) you'd be quite suprised when first hering the tunes.

Dope LP, K.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

---

what about bob seger? can we call him psych?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

---

that one tune on 'noah' that rips off 'sympathy for the devil' is a little psychedelic innit?

Plastic Cloud is like the best know Canuck psych rarity - rare, but essential?

imho: the top 2 essential psych lps are prolly 'piper at the gates' & 'are you experienced?'

'are you experienced?'

'are you experienced?'

'are you experienced?'

'are you experienced?'

'are you experienced?'

'are you experienced?'

• Options

---

that one tune on 'noah' that rips off 'sympathy for the devil' is a little psychedelic innit?

Plastic Cloud is like the best know Canuck psych rarity - rare, but essential?

imho: the top 2 essential psych lps are prolly 'piper at the gates' & 'are you experienced?'

Essential is relative. I'd say Bentwind is the best known.

K.