Essential Psych lp’s

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    isn't there a 60s Nihilist Spasm Band lp on Allied? - that must be wild.

---

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Here is a track from the Hunger LP: Portland 69

Dude, good look. This shit is tough.

-e

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Just another week in the studio!

"S.F.Sorrow was recorded at the Abbey Road Studios while in other recording rooms Sgt. Pepper's lonely Hart Club Band & The Piper at the Gates of Dawn ('67) were taped."

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Dont know what your budget is, but the following LPs are excellent track to track:

Morgen 's/t'

Kak 's/t'

Art 'supernatural fairy tales'
    Boheimian Vendetta 's/t'

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    "rustix" on rare eath is dope too. couldnt find a picture.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

• Ultimate Spinach "s/t" & "behold & see"

July "s/t"

Crazy People "Bedlam"

Dreamies "Auralgraphic Entertainment"

Moving Sidewalks "s/t"

Aorta "s/t"

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Please post sound clips on some of these, if possible.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The Superfine Dandelion had a pretty good album on the Mainstream label.

And if you're into 45's:
    "I Need Love" b/w "Mysteries" by the Third Booth (Independence)
    "A Question Of Temperature" by the Balloon Farm (Laurie)

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Hmmm...me likes this thread:

Mecki Mark Men-(2 Lp's on Limelight)
    Fifty Foot Hose
    Brainticket-Cottonwoodhill (OH MY GOD!!!)
    Zippo Zetterlink(German private-oozes acid sounds)
    Erkin Koray-Elektronik Turkuler(Turkish masterpiece)maybe my favorite
    Lula Cotes E Ze Ramalio-paebiru (Lost Brazilian monster)
    Algarnas Tradgard-Framtiden...(Swedish mindfryer)
    Hotdog (Phillipines) Isn't that right Dante?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    ahhh. these are cool lookin lp's and all guys, but remember, the title is ESSENTIAL "PSYCH" lp's. im talkin shit that should be in everyones collection, not Sussex and Zoo and shit. thanks everyone

TheMack, if someone tells you they are into Psych and don't count this off in their top TWO[/b] essential LPs, tell them to fuck right off.

Psych with a capital P[/b] starts here.
    im saying, that album rocks my world, although i dont have the lp.

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    yep on the Love & Pink Floyd

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    if you like piper at the gates, check out saucerful of secrets too the_mack

• The Flock "Dinosaur Swamps"

Shit is sooo crazy. The production is nuts, and the sort of genre changes (solid psych to bebop to polish waltz to soulful fiddle rock to irish folka, to trippy country)?? If you are into severe mood swings,and mid-range, this title will definatly make you wanna try and fit your face into a tape deck.

I think that description makes as much sense as the album... its fresh though.

Oh yea, also check out some Goblin, theyre all pretty dope, today i happen to be rocking "Profondo Rosso".

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

co-scion, this is an essential psych album.

I also have to say the term 'psych' is often times misused. There were a few earlier posts that I would argue are definately not psych. Please use your psych responsibly folks

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Here's a notsoraer that's great:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

K-

Is that an actual Haunted LP cover?? Did they have a proper album release in the 60's? I have an EP on EVA that is sick (although more garage punk than psych), and everything I hear about them says they were the Quebec garage lords...I had a feeling you would rep them in this thread.

It's been said before, the last time we had an essential psych thread, but don't sleep on Hard Ride by the 1910 Fruitgum Company. They were known as a bubblegum band, but this LP (their last) was a conscious effort to go all-out psych, and it worked. Maybe two of these songs are straight-ahead pop ("Don't Have To Run & Hide" and "The Train"); the rest is pretty much what you're looking for. They almost got booked into the Fillmore East on the strength of this album, until the producers told the bookers who it was.

PW33,

Yeah, I was the one pimpin' the 1910 LP on here a couple of times (although others probably have, too) both in "psych" threads and "slept on records" threads - a funny thing about that record is, even though Super K are famous for having "fake" bands; where studio musicians played the whole albums with a different band on the cover, different bands would tour at the same time under the same name, etc, the "Hard Ride" LP is a case where 1910 Fruitgum were for the most part a real (but not very good) band for their first LP's, and then the Super K guys cut this pop-psych masterpiece with all their top studio musicians, and released it as a Fruitgum LP...I wonder what band would have shown up at the Fillmore? If anything, they probably got considered based on the biker cover and not the music...goddamn, "Hard Ride" is a dope record, though.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Not Raer but I like it

Not Raers but I like em

major cosign on the Harvey Mandel...I've been buying up his stuff whenever I find it, and have yet to be let down..."Baby Batter" is another extra-dope one.

major cosign on the Harvey Mandel...I've been buying up his stuff whenever I find it, and have yet to be let down..."Baby Batter" is another extra-dope one.
    i wouldnt call mandels shit Psych dude. Rotary Connection are a litle psychy, but still not really. and i think the Rotary lp your thinking of is "Songs". thats a good album

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Me likes

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

i wouldnt call mandels shit Psych dude. Rotary Connection are a litle psychy, but still not really. and i think the Rotary lp your thinking of is "Songs". thats a good album
    Yeah Mandel isn't really Psych ... However the tittle cut on this release could qulify and it is very dope... I have been let down by other Rotary releases as well, but I really like this record. It has one slow song that def qualifys as psych not to mention the track that was the source for Bonita

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I also just gave a listen to a rec my dad gave me ...I'm not 100% sure of the name can't find a pic but the cover is black and white and I believe it says Kelidescope on the cover... Probablly not to raer cuz I have seen it at stores here before.. Pretty bugged stuff ..it has animal sounds in the background..
    but also this flick is good
    I also have the music vid for "astronomy Domine" somewhere with Syd Barret

Yeah, I wasn't really throwing Mandel out there as pure Psych, just replying to dude's post...but, Mandel definitely has some psych stuff, spread through his records...dig the 9 minute version of "Eleanor Rigby" on the Sugarcane Harris LP "Fiddler on the Rock" with Mandel on guitar....it's pretty sick.

Yeah, that one, "Songs" was the only one I could really get with...the others tend to be 1-2 trackers IMO.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

edansamplepsych

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

edansamplepsych

GREAT lp!