great lp? YES

psych? NO

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

edansamplepsych
    GREAT lp!

great lp? YES

psych? NO

Ha Ha! I was just gonna say that.

That is quintessesntial American garage rock right there. I will say it's on the psych end of that spectrum, the same way that the first Love LP is.

Can I get a psych ruling on Forever Changes? Psych or not Psych?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Can I get a psych ruling on Forever Changes? Psych or not Psych?
    I'd say folk ith HEAVY psych undertones

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    psych? NO

No? I dunno... I would call that psych. More psych than a lot of the stuff already mentioned. Whatevs.

DJ Ferrari

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

I am not well studied on the genre.... I always just consider borderline hippie rock that used a lot of dope feedback and ogan delays or the echoplex Psych... I'm sure thats not the case...

Someone get authorative and define psych for us.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Psych or not?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    psych? NO

No? I dunno... I would call that psych. More psych than a lot of the stuff already mentioned. Whatevs.

DJ Ferrari

I would say Music Machine contains the "Seeds*" of psych music, with some effects, and the farfisa, etc....Bonniwell Music Machine stuff that came after is DEFINITELY Psych.

*pun intended - did anyone mention the damn Seeds yet? They're like the OG Psych heads, right with the 13th Floor boys!

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

H.P. Lovecraft

Not essential, but I dig it. Don't hear too much about it though.

Also, I'm forgetting the title of the psych mix that a Floridian (i believe) soulstrutter made and sold. I still rock it every so often. Starts off with Black Mass/Lucifer...Can...US69... great tracks overall.

psych? NO

DJ Ferrari

I would say Music Machine contains the "Seeds*" of psych music, with some effects, and the farfisa, etc....Bonniwell Music Machine stuff that came after is DEFINITELY Psych.

*pun intended - did anyone mention the damn Seeds yet? They're like the OG Psych heads, right with the 13th Floor boys!

Ok, here's where I draw lines:

First 13th Floor Elevators= Garage rock w/heavy Psych leanings
    Easter Everywhere=PSYCH

Music Machine Talk Talk=Garage rock w/heavy Psych leanings
    Bonniwell's Music Machine= PSYCH w/heavy garage leanings

Seeds 1st LP= garage rock
    Sky Saxon LPs= PSYCH

Chocolate Watchband 1st LP=garage rock w/heavy psych leanings
    The Inner Mystique= PSYCH

Love Da Capo= garage rock w/Byrds-y leanings
    Love Forever Changes= garage folk pop w/heavy psych leanings

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Easter Everywhere=PSYCH

Sky Saxon LPs= PSYCH

I'm with this

I mean, it was really just a fad that hit at a certain time and looking at the discographies of these groups you'll see that when Sgt Peppers and Satanic Majesties get released all these other groups release their 'psych' record immediately after...

ok, THESE are the type of Psych essentials im looking for. lp's of the same caliber, that are well known, common, etc.

Jefferson Airplane...

Easter Everywhere=PSYCH

Sky Saxon LPs= PSYCH

I'm with this

I mean, it was really just a fad that hit at a certain time and looking at the discographies of these groups you'll see that when Sgt Peppers and Satanic Majesties get released all these other groups release their 'psych' record immediately after...

groups with one (or two) 'Psych' records

Bee Gees(Horizontal)
    Hollies(Evolution)
    Easybeats(what was the name of theirs? shit.)
    Zombies(oddysey and oracle)
    Jan and Dean(Save For a Rainy day)
    Johnny Rivers(at least one or 2 'psych'-y sleeve designs)

please add to the list....

oh, and can we get some Black or Latino strutters to contribute to this thread plaese?(shameless online racism related)

ok, THESE are the type of Psych essentials im looking for. lp's of the same caliber, that are well known, common, etc.

[

A yes, I forgot:

Doors s/t= agreeable lounge cabaret with psych pretensions
    Weird Scenes inside the Goldmine= horrible horrible horrible music w/psych pretensions

[

A yes, I forgot:

Weird Scenes inside the Goldmine= horrible horrible horrible music w/psych pretensions
    haha OKAY. i give up on this thread. just post up your favorite "Psych" lp's. preferably with pictures

[

A yes, I forgot:

haha OKAY. i give up on this thread. just post up your favorite "Psych" lp's. preferably with pictures

seriously, tho folks, I just picked up this book for $10 on clearance at a local Borders, it's a UK book with MANY obscure psych LPs I had never seen before, many of the sloppy hand drawn variety as well as many discussed here. TheMack, I would go and search that out. Sure it's got a lot of 'classic rock' dollarbin stuff too, but it has a nice variety and it's British!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

classify this here Wool. Love Love Love Love is the jam...but I wouldn't call this psych....or Garage...just 60s rock? Can I get a witness?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    A little bit of New Zealand Psychish stuff from my racks, some of it real psyched out, some of it only a bit of psych, good luck finding them but some cool covers to look at.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    if you want to be schooled on psych essentials, you should check this book out (sorry for the huge jpeg)

it's a collection of issues of this zine about psychedelic music and culture. really informative and easy to just flip through and read, visually stimulating as well.

you can buy it online at forced exposure or the drag city site. comes with a CD.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    and if you ask me, this is the most essential psych album:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The Free Spirits' Out Of Sight & Sound on ABC, featuring Larry Coryell. Yeah, this is a bunch of jazzers going rock, but it's fairly early (1967) for that sort of thing, and not quite as heavy-handed as most "jazz hippie" experiments (like Blood, Sweat & Tears after Al Kooper left). There's a sax player involved, and as God is my witness, HE'S freaking out harder than the guitarist!

Why no one has bothered to rerelease this mystifies me, since jazz fans (and labels) are notoriously reissue-happy.

Which is saying a lot, considering Weird Scenes is a compilation.

a funny thing about that record is, even though Super K are famous for having "fake" bands; where studio musicians played the whole albums with a different band on the cover, different bands would tour at the same time under the same name, etc,

No two Fruitgum albums have the same personnel listing (although some of the same faces pop up on the covers).

If anything, they probably got considered (to play the Fillmore East) based on the biker cover and not the music...

No, it WAS based on the music. According to co-producer Jeff Katz, they played the record for the Fillmore talent booker, sight unseen. So...what's the name of the band? The 1910 Fruitgum Company. NEXT!

They could have at least renamed them the Hard Ride or something.

Kinda reminds me about how Paul Revere & the Raiders sent out test pressings of their next album to FM rock stations. The hippies RAVED over it, until they found out it was the teenybopper-friendly Raiders; they were dumped like a hot potato. You see, the record was labeled as being by Pink Puzz.

(If you're curious to hear what the deejays heard, the album was released as Alias Pink Puzz, which sounds to these ears like a cross between the Stooges and Moby Grape - not a bad combination.)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Anyone have that Paul Revere and the Raiders Christmas LP???

some 45s that come to mind...
    The Jerms - ??? (on Brigade)
    Five by Five - Fire
    Jonesy - Ricochet

groups with one (or two) 'Psych' records

Bee Gees(Horizontal)

I consider the entire 1967-69 phase of the Bee Gees' career psychedelic. The one thing that set them apart from the usual navel gazers is that their songs had hooks. You can't tell me that "New York Mining Disaster 1941" or the entire Odessa album was bubblegum.

Zombies(oddysey and oracle)

Not fair to put them in the occasional psych category since they broke up right after recording this album in '67. There would have been more, had they lasted.

Johnny Rivers(at least one or 2 'psych'-y sleeve designs)

It wasn't just the cover designs, it showed in the music. Rivers was sorta doing a Bob Lind-ish singer-songwriter thing on his Rewind album (even though Jim Webb wrote most of the songs). By 1968, he recorded the incredibly dated Realization, which was definitely meant to be his entry into psych.

please add to the list....

- Tommy Roe, Phantasy (HORRIBLE)
    - Del Shannon, The Further Adventures Of Charles Westover
    - First Edition, "Just Dropped In Just To See What Condition My Condition Was In" (just this song, no more)
    - Paul Revere & the Raiders, Something Happening, Alias Pink Puzz, Collage (Raiders' singer Mark Lindsay wanted to go full-tilt psych, but Revere still wanted the band to milk the Top 40 audience, so all three of these albums have their teenybopper moments, but you can tell from the production that Lindsay wanted the band to do something heavier)

I've heard it - sounds more like a novelty than anything else.

some 45s that come to mind...

Five by Five - Fire

'Specially the B-side, "Hang Up."

Also "Smell Of Incense" by the Southwest FOB on Hip (a Stax subsidiary).

• No two Fruitgum albums have the same personnel listing (although some of the same faces pop up on the covers).

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

I've heard it - sounds more like a novelty than anything else.
    until you pan the drums, then it's like WHOA!

you can prolly find the Phluph LP for about $20. that's pretty good.

No two Fruitgum albums have the same personnel listing (although some of the same faces pop up on the covers).
    Something told me this album was gonna make an appearance before the thread was over! (How's it going, Coma Toast?)

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN "SPIRIT" TO ME?
    -Why do they reissue this stuff?
    -Why do they have more than one album?
    -Why did someone put this out in the first place?
    -Why are they considered psych?
    -Why?

They are a waste of wax if you ask me. I've listened to all of their albums several times trying to figure out what the the big deal is. I haven't seen any Country Joe and the Fish in this thread yet but this goes the same for them. I don't get it.

this record firggin ROCKS!!!