KELEFA on TI: "tepid"

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    you didnt like that styles ghost sessions album?

that was an album? I dont listen to mixtapes anymore, was it good?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    supposedly down (Lil Flip)

Is there a secret career resurgence of the one Flipper that we are not knowing about?

Y'all are some serious bandwagon riders if you think that Flip wasn't the one more in the right by way of the TI/Lil Flip conflict. Yes, TI obviously won the battle by clowning the fuck out of Flip on that mixtape. But Flip is still in good standing with anyone down here that matters (Scarface excluded).

Is there a secret career resurgence of the one Flipper that we are not knowing about?

Y'all are some serious bandwagon riders if you think that Flip wasn't the one more in the right by way of the TI/Lil Flip conflict. Yes, TI obviously won the battle by clowning the fuck out of Flip on that mixtape. But Flip is still in good standing with anyone down here that matters (Scarface excluded).

i actually like lil flip, but his career is beyond done.

yet still one of the year's better releases.

did anything else even come out this year?

Good albums to come out this year:

Devin
    Turf Talk
    Prodigy
    Bone
    Redman
    Baby Boy da Prince

Z-Ro

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Devin
    Turf Talk
    Prodigy
    Bone
    Redman
    Baby Boy da Prince

Z-Ro

I believe that was last year.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    zro has released 2 albums this year

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    noz, please to also state an opinion other than coy shoutouts to online friends.

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=11123

the coy online shoutouts are free / but the opinions cost moneeey

Devin
    Turf Talk
    Prodigy
    Bone
    Redman
    Baby Boy da Prince

Z-Ro

I believe that was last year.

I'm Still Livin was a great album in 06.

Power is a good album in 07.

noz, please to also state an opinion other than coy shoutouts to online friends.

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=11123

the coy online shoutouts are free / but the opinions cost moneeey

brilliant. thank you.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Actually the first time I went to Texas, damn near ten years ago, I got some flip tapes... that lucky charms shit and some others. I have always felt that dude is just not a good rapper, although he sounded a lot better screwed on a tape than on his major label productions... shit is trifling... but yeah, I wouldn't care if he's the most liked man in all of Texas he should be the mayor then not a rapper.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    flip was a great rapper but t.i. ended flips career

flip was a great rapper

Incorrect

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    . but yeah, I wouldn't care if he's the most liked man in all of Texas he should be the mayor then not a rapper.

funny. but he's not. Flip's a clown. a lepreclown and that TI record is pretty boring, imho.

Actually the first time I went to Texas, damn near ten years ago, I got some flip tapes... that lucky charms shit and some others. I have always felt that dude is just not a good rapper, although he sounded a lot better screwed on a tape than on his major label productions... shit is trifling... but yeah, I wouldn't care if he's the most liked man in all of Texas he should be the mayor then not a rapper.

You're right in that Flip isn't the greatest rapper. I agree with that completely. But he has definitely had his moments...from Screw tapes, to I Can Do That, to Banner's Like a Pimp, to The Way We Ball, to that really good Sucka Free 713 comp he helped put out, to Game Over (it was kinda exciting for a minute), to his hilarious verse on Ro's From the South, to his great verse on Cham's Turn It Up, to now which could very easily see him cntinue his string of worthwhile musical contributions.

Plus, it was Flip moreso than anyone who initiated the most recent Houston rap resurgence on the national market. So plenty of folks still owe him thanks for that, if nothing else.

And again, declaring someone's career as dead is gay.

flip was a great rapper

Incorrect

lol, i like me some lil flip, but i would never say hes a "great rapper"

i really think the "ill treat you like milk...." line did more to end his career than t.i.

...his hilarious verse on Ro's From the South

I don't think the hilarity was intentional:

After your album flop, n***a you gon be on Koch...

The hilarity was that he was dissing Paul Wall, someone who was also on that same song.

He kind of kilt it on Like A Pimp. That's true.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    He kind of kilt it on Like A Pimp. That's true.
    he killed it on lots of things

Nah, I wouldn't say that.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Plus, it was Flip moreso than anyone who initiated the most recent [/b]Houston rap resurgence on the national market.
    ORLY?

sayin though. On a national scale, work that this dude's had his hand in has pushed Houston way more than Flip has.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

Prodigy

Really, this is worth checking? huh...

cant say its still getting daily spins, but its the best rap out of new york you are likely to hear all year.

real ignorant.

Plus, it was Flip moreso than anyone who initiated the most recent [/b]Houston rap resurgence on the national market.
    ORLY?

sayin though. On a national scale, work that this dude's had his hand in has pushed Houston way more than Flip has.

I think you meant to post a photo of Salih Williams. But instead you posted one of Michael Watts.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    What does faux_rillz think?

^^^^ faux_rillz alias revealed?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

And I thought that was an amazing verse. I never heard anything by Flip besides that verse that impressed me, but maybe I'm not hearing the right songs.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I like some of Flip's stuff, but I agree that he doesn't sound like he should be a rapper. Something about his inflection/tone just doesn't sound right. And he's just sort of a clown in general, I mean:

As far as the TI, it's mediocre. It's not the best album, it's not the worst. I mostly agree with the review. There are some really good songs on there (Hurt, Da Dopeman, Watch What You Say To Me), and some really bad ones (Touch Down, Show It To Me) and a bunch of mediocre tracks. T.I. can do better, and I think he will. Hopefully he leaves his grown-up-businessman side out of the music in the future, it makes him sound drab and boring. I want to hear the brash, young, slick-mouthed T.I.P. that was spitting seriousness on Trap Muzik and I'm Serious and King. I want Toomp beats. I don't want Wyclef, Eminem and grown-up T.I..

And is it just me, or does the Nelly song (Show It To Me) sound like the drummer from the Dave Matthews Band is backing it or some shit? Horrible.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    ORLY?

I think you meant to post a photo of Salih Williams. But instead you posted one of Michael Watts.
    nope, i meant michael watts: Co-CEO of Swisha House, (w/ T. Farris) which is more visible in terms of output than anything else I've been seeing out of Texas. Most people don't have artists like Devin or anything on Rap-a-Lot et al. on their radar (unfortunately), but names like Mike Jones and Paul Wall register with tons of people.
    Salih's production work is nice, though.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

So you think it's a stretch that Kelefa only started using the word "tepid" after it became a Soulstrut buzzword?

You can't be fucking serious. 1) Soulstrut did not invent the word "tepid" nor its use within the vocab of criticism. 2) K is arguably one of the most technophobic writers under the age of 35 I know of. This guy doesn't like using email let alone trolling message boards for his nomenclature.

So you think it's a stretch that Kelefa only started using the word "tepid" after it became a Soulstrut buzzword?

You can't be fucking serious.

You must not know Young Sheezy very well.