KELEFA on TI: "tepid"

13»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    On the tepid tip and only b/c I think it's rich for the moment:

I did a quick search through my old reviews and the earliest time I could find myself using the term was on 2001 review for the Freestyle Fellowship's "Temptations" album for URB (or maybe it was the LA Weekly, I can't remember).

Maybe Strut bit me.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I did a quick search through my old reviews and the earliest time I could find myself using the term was on 2001 review for the Freestyle Fellowship's "Temptations" album for URB (or maybe it was the LA Weekly, I can't remember).

Hilarious.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    On the tepid tip and only b/c I think it's rich for the moment:

Maybe Strut bit me.

clearly you reached into the future and bit the Strut (not to mention the Blowed).

PS Temptations is indeed tepid.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    OK, fine...tepid is for all to use without reference to soulstrut.

Yes, the FF look-up is indeed hilariously coincidental.

But no, Temptations wasn't as tepid as advertised by critics.

How did I know this was coming?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

now who could your be referring to here?

honestly I thought it sorta sucked. after the Shockadoom/Level of Difficulty EP (which blew my (1998 state of) mind), I was expecting big things from the re-united Fellowship. then we had to wait three years for a sorta shitty album. I was salty.

How did I know this was coming?

Difference from 3 years ago though...I no longer give a damn...hate it until your heart is content.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    temptations was a fucking mess.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    btw i got the leprechaun 2xlp for 10 cents today. it's (still) very good.

honestly I thought it sorta sucked. after the Shockadoom/Level of Difficulty EP (which blew my (1998 state of) mind), I was expecting big things from the re-united Fellowship. then we had to wait three years for a sorta shitty album. I was salty.

Didn't meet my lofty expectations either...not enough PEACE for one...but it was still better than any of the Atmosphere/Anticon/Sage Francis bullshit that some of those same critics were applauding back then.

OK, that's not saying much...oh well.

Didn't meet my lofty expectations either...not enough PEACE for one...but it was still better than any of the Atmosphere/Anticon/Sage Francis bullshit that some of those same critics were applauding back then.

OK, that's not saying much...oh well.

I actually liked portions of "Temptations" and I never got into Anticon or Sage Francis but cmon man, "Temptations" wasn't better than "Lucy Ford".

How the hell did we get from TI to Sage Francis? Man.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    TI to Sage Francis

Does this range cover just about every rap fan conceivable?

TI to Sage Francis

People that like Sage Francis are not rap fans.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    TI to Sage Francis

How about the Atmos?

So you think it's a stretch that Kelefa only started using the word "tepid" after it became a Soulstrut buzzword?

You can't be fucking serious. 1) Soulstrut did not invent the word "tepid" nor its use within the vocab of criticism. 2) K is arguably one of the most technophobic writers under the age of 35 I know of. This guy doesn't like using email let alone trolling message boards for his nomenclature.

The new 5th element of online rap fruitflyism appears to be accusing Kelefa of plagiarizing this article from less distinguished writers:

Exhibit 1:

P.S. Someone also tell Kelefa Sanneh at the NYTimes that his plagiarism of this article and this blog for his T.I. article are in flagrant. Don???t his editors check on Negroes closely after Jayson Blair? Wanting of a few citations, in my view.
    Exhibit 2:

Kelefa Sanneh is biting you dawg. I don't wanna get all Drew Ricketts up in the comments section but you should check it out. I mean, I thought I was biting you until I re-read my King article on T.I. and realized I wasn't. This guy from the Times though...

A truly tortured attempt at reverse swagger-jacking.

It's amazing to me that these little dudes think writing about the marketing concept that T.I. and his label have been flogging relentlessly somehow renders that marketing concept the intellectual property of the writer.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the idea of kelefa biting breihan is o_O

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    TI to Sage Francis

Sayin' I was at Amoeba a few weeks ago and there where all these punk and rock and roll types filling up the store and I was wondering "damn, I wonder what band is going to perform" and they where all there to see Sage Francis.

Fuck that dude. That's one dude who I fucking hate. He has this whole salty attitude towards rap music and he comes across like he's better than all that "silly and stupid rap shit". I was at some music festival and I walked in on his performance. He bascially got two breakdancers to dance on stage and then he comes on and bascially starts making fun of them by dancing himself. Dude should be fucking glad he's got a niche/career.

I don't know what's more disturbing - these hilarious accusations...or the knowledge that Faux spends his time reading rap blog COMMENTS sections.

So you think it's a stretch that Kelefa only started using the word "tepid" after it became a Soulstrut buzzword?

You can't be fucking serious. 1) Soulstrut did not invent the word "tepid" nor its use within the vocab of criticism. 2) K is arguably one of the most technophobic writers under the age of 35 I know of. This guy doesn't like using email let alone trolling message boards for his nomenclature.

The new 5th element of online rap fruitflyism appears to be accusing Kelefa of plagiarizing this article from less distinguished writers:

Exhibit 1:

P.S. Someone also tell Kelefa Sanneh at the NYTimes that his plagiarism of this article and this blog for his T.I. article are in flagrant. Don???t his editors check on Negroes closely after Jayson Blair? Wanting of a few citations, in my view.
    Exhibit 2:

Kelefa Sanneh is biting you dawg. I don't wanna get all Drew Ricketts up in the comments section but you should check it out. I mean, I thought I was biting you until I re-read my King article on T.I. and realized I wasn't. This guy from the Times though...

A truly tortured attempt at reverse swagger-jacking.

It's amazing to me that these little dudes think writing about the marketing concept that T.I. and his label have been flogging relentlessly somehow renders that marketing concept the intellectual property of the writer.

I don't know what's more disturbing - these hilarious accusations...or the knowledge that Faux spends his time reading rap blog COMMENTS sections.

Well the accusations on Smoking Section (which I check periodically for mixtape downloads) were made within an actual post, and Breihan's comment section is the number one source of rap-informed comedy on the web.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts