Tattoo Strut

funkyexamplefunkyexample 915 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Who has em? Who regrets em? Who got em removed? Been designing a couple things, but haven't decided on anything in particular, but i have some things in mind. I've always wanted one, but could never decide on something so finite and forever...And who looks like this guy?

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I can't get down with tats in general, I've seen about 2 that I like in my entire life, and that's only because they were interesting, REALLY different and visual pleasing. I can't handle the pre-made garbage most people get (barb-wire-arm-band-tribal-skull-flame-look-at-me-im-a-bad-ass-type-schitt).

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Who has em?

i have four .....its time for number 5

Who regrets em?

i regret the first one.....but it was free and i was young.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Who has em?

i have four .....its time for number 5

Who regrets em?

i regret the first one.....but it was free and i was young.

I wanna guess on this one..

a weed leaf, tatted when you were a teenager?

I got a family friend in town this week who tattooes at a studio in Mexico City, he said he'd tat me for cheap. He's done work on my Sister and brother and I got one I've wanted to get for years but I'm straight up chickenshit when it comes to needles.

It's going to come down to the last moment with this one, and if I get it I'll post the first pcture of it on SS

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

nope....you'll never guess ...and i'm not telling

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

nope....you'll never guess ...and i'm not telling
    I'll get it out of you.

It was a tat with the name "Becky" wasn't it?

• 14 since 1980...#15 coming in the next few weeks...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    There should be a law for California women: If you don't know how to read Chinese or Japanese calligraphy, then don't tattoo yourself with it. Corny as hell.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    There should be a law for everyone on the entire planet: If you don't know how to read Chinese or Japanese calligraphy, then don't tattoo yourself with it. Corny as hell.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    There should be a law for California women: If you don't know how to read Chinese or Japanese calligraphy, then don't tattoo yourself with it. Corny as hell.

not only women. and not only California.

my favorite thing is to go up to a girl with a Chinese or Japanese tattoo and ask, with a smirk on my face, "so, what did the guy tell you that meant?"

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    There should be a law for California women: If you don't know how to read Kanji, then don't tattoo yourself with it. Corny as hell.

i am heavily tattooed ( a 3/4 and a half sleeve..soon to be 3/4 on the other arm, legs, stomach, back, part of my hands) and worked as a shop guy for a while. this 19 year old kid comes in and says he wants to get the symbol for drunk on his neck. now he doesn't have any tattoos, and he wants to get his first on his neck. we explain to him that we don't normally tattoo hands, neck, or head as a first tattoo, but the kid persists. so the artist looks at me and says can you put a price on ruining your life? i say sure, the tattoo costs 75 bucks (because that was the going rate). he says, ok, 75 bucks it is, now your life is ruined. people do not think. i have a few that i got when i was younger, that i got covered, but a piece on my back that is rather large i'm in the process of working on something to cover it.

THINK before you get tattoed. Cheap tattoos are not good, and good tattoos are not cheap. Sounds silly but it's the truth.

oh yeah, then there was this time a girl got "FILTHY" right above her kitten. tried to explain to us that she was filthy good because she just dropped her loser boyfriend. um......yeah.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    14 since 1990...#15 has been in the works for 3 months now (with many more months to go...)

I am a serious collectro. It's nothin' to drop a Sween a month on my habit.

PS Hi, Larry! Hope you're doing well and keep me posted on this #15.

• 14 since 1990...#15 has been in the works for 3 months now (with many more months to go...)

Hey Ross!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    14 since 1990...#15 has been in the works for 3 months now (with many more months to go...)

Hey Ross!

Hey Ross! Hey Larry!

I got 2, one that needs some adjustment and one that just plain needs to get turned into something I like(first tat, got it from a guy on Lake Street in Minneapolis when I was 20---tastes change). No regrets, per se, but kids, listen to us oldsters when we tell you, THINK, then THINK SOME MORE, then get thyself to a GOOD artist.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I got 2, one that needs some adjustment and one that just plain needs to get turned into something I like(first tat, got it from a guy on Lake Street in Minneapolis when I was 20---tastes change). No regrets, per se, but kids, listen to us oldsters when we tell you, THINK, then THINK SOME MORE, then get thyself to a GOOD artist.

i've been thinking about my first for about a year and i think it's goin down this summer. what shop did you go to on lake street? i'll probably end up gettin mine in uptown too and was wondering if you'd recommend the shop if it's still there.

i've been thinking about my first for about a year and i think it's goin down this summer. what shop did you go to on lake street? i'll probably end up gettin mine in uptown too and was wondering if you'd recommend the shop if it's still there.

Actually, I was wrong, It was near Lake but ON Nicollett, if memory serves. It may not even be there, plus, I wouldn't recommend it. I used to know an artist named David Cho who used to work at one of the parlors, but I forgot the name. I would check around with any friends who have had work done in town within the last 5 years, Minneapolis usually has some quality artists, you should pick up a recommendation or 2 with ease. Or go down to Bob's Java Shack on Lyndale and ask some of the Euro-biker guys, they are ususally pretty hooked in to that scene.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

not only women. and not only California.

my favorite thing is to go up to a girl with a Chinese or Japanese tattoo and ask, with a smirk on my face, "so, what did the guy tell you that meant?"

I understand what you are saying, but this is beautiful:

I have one tattoo and it is the cancer sign. It's the sign of a good friend that passed away a few years back (God rest his soul). I would post a pic of it, but it might blow up into something ridiculous.I've been thinkin of getting another one, as well.

• djdepositdjdeposit 224 Posts
    those are pretty serious tats ^

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    yeah they are. I know I wouldn't do that to my body, but Im happy someone did. Very professional and worth it. BUT, Im just gonna assume she was dating(or whatever) the dude who did it. Coulda been a chick, who knows.

• [ It was near Lake but ON Nicollet Or go down to Bob's Java Shack on Lyndale and ask some of the Euro-biker guys, they are ususally pretty hooked in to that scene.

Nicollet?? Tattoos by Yurkew? Guy just passed away.

That shop above Bob's does some good work.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Im just gonna assume she was dating(or whatever) the dude who did it.

That is an incredibly ridiculous assumption.

That would be akin to my assuming that you are dating your gynecologist.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

After extensive observation, I have concluded that Elise hates women.

See: "And [for Alice Coltrane] to not be with another man, after her husband passed is very respectable."

• I got 2, one that needs some adjustment and one that just plain needs to get turned into something I like(first tat, got it from a guy on Lake Street in Minneapolis when I was 20---tastes change). No regrets, per se, but kids, listen to us oldsters when we tell you, THINK, then THINK SOME MORE, then get thyself to a GOOD artist.

Actually, I was wrong, It was near Lake but ON Nicollett, if memory serves. It may not even be there, plus, I wouldn't recommend it. I used to know an artist named David Cho who used to work at one of the parlors, but I forgot the name. I would check around with any friends who have had work done in town within the last 5 years, Minneapolis usually has some quality artists, you should pick up a recommendation or 2 with ease. Or go down to Bob's Java Shack on Lyndale and ask some of the Euro-biker guys, they are ususally pretty hooked in to that scene.

I don't have any tatoos, but I can strongly recommend either Uptown Tatoo or Steady Tattoo in MPLS.

[ It was near Lake but ON Nicollet Or go down to Bob's Java Shack on Lyndale and ask some of the Euro-biker guys, they are ususally pretty hooked in to that scene.

Nicollet?? Tattoos by Yurkew? Guy just passed away.

That shop above Bob's does some good work.

Yeah, I think it was Yurkew, that rings a bell anyway. There was not much to choose from back then compared to nowadays. At least in Minneapolis.

I think Dave Cho used to work out of the shop above Bob's , but again, I get all these people and places all mixed up as it has been over 10 years since I lived there. There was a guy named Cole (first name? Last name? Can't recall) who was a great portrait tatooist, he had come up to Minneapolis with a large crowd from Nebraska in the late 80s, early 90s. He had done some really nice work on a lot of the Nebraskans I knew back then, and was highly regarded around town, don't know if he stuck around or moved on. He was a fun, nice dude too, although he looked like the roughest rocker-biker guy you could meet. Tats everywhere, Ace Frehley on his calf was the most memorable!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

It was just an assumption, but I see your point.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO POST THIS SHIT TO GET THE PROPS I DESERVE:

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

After extensive observation, I have concluded that Elise hates women.

See: "And [for Alice Coltrane] to not be with another man, after her husband passed is very respectable."

seems like you need to read up more Alice Coltrane's
    life.

Then again, maybe you are just not understanding of other's spiritual beliefs. I am not saying that I would follow the exact steps of her, but I found it to be rather admirable.

• Options
    HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO POST THIS SHIT TO GET THE PROPS I DESERVE:

[I don't know what that is] Some people just make cheat sheets. [/I don't know what that is]

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    When I dropped out of grad school (MSc Physics) to pursue mathematics, I got the tattoo to remind myself why I wasn't a failure and whY I wanted to study mathematics.

What is tattoo'd there is First Canonical Quantization. The first attempt at a "universal" quantum model extrapolated from classical mechanics by the equation on my arm. Mathematically its' not correct (Pauli Dirac wasn't a mathematician) and the theory is no longer really valid, but the process and idea is what intrigues me. Essentially, since every object we touch and hold behaves classically and since all classical objects are made up of particles that behave quantum mechanically, some how by putting together a bunch of quantum objects you are doing the mathematical transformation on my arm.

I figured talking about math and physics would distract from the lame gender-based analysis of elise.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i have 2. one i got when i was 19 and the other one to cover up a scar. i'm pretty indifferent about it. i honestly forget they're there most of the time until someone points them out and it's like "oh yeah... i forgot i had that."

i'm just glad i don't have a huge back piece of that guy from counting crows.

• Options
    When I dropped out of grad school (MSc Physics) to pursue mathematics, I got the tattoo to remind myself why I wasn't a failure and whY I wanted to study mathematics.

What is tattoo'd there is First Canonical Quantization. The first attempt at a "universal" quantum model extrapolated from classical mechanics by the equation on my arm. Mathematically its' not correct (Pauli Dirac wasn't a mathematician) and the theory is no longer really valid, but the process and idea is what intrigues me. Essentially, since every object we touch and hold behaves classically and since all classical objects are made up of particles that behave quantum mechanically, some how by putting together a bunch of quantum objects you are doing the mathematical transformation on my arm.

I figured talking about math and physics would distract from the lame gender-based analysis of elise.

I like that. How does it go down for you when people ask what it means? Do you get tired of explaining it? I would imagine you have different levels of explanation for different situations or people.