Tattoo Strut

2»

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    It gets very annoying. Depending on who it is I'll either say "something I got in jail" and then walk out on their bewildered face or I'll give the full explanation if it's someone that genuinely wants to hear it.

In the end I got it for my benefit and not as some outward projection, which is as valid as any reason to get a tattoo. When I get stressed with school I just look at it and try to remember there was a time when I had the conviction to go through with this.

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    I got this tattoo because I was dating my tattoo artist and because I think it's beautiful...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    thats great! [sarcasm]Was she at least hot?[/sarcasm]

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    In the end I got it for my benefit and not as some outward projection, which is as valid as any the only[/b] reason to get a tattoo.

One thing I hate about the tattoo reality shows is that they make it seem like there has to be some deep meaning behind every tattoo. How about, "It means I like the way it looks"?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I got this tattoo because I was dating my tattoo artist and because I think it's beautiful...

hilarious! that poor guy.

this one is crazy too

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    In the end I got it for my benefit and not as some outward projection, which is as valid as any the only[/b] reason to get a tattoo.

One thing I hate about the tattoo reality shows is that they make it seem like there has to be some deep meaning behind every tattoo. How about, "It means I like the way it looks"?

Bear in mind that I'm a person who has zero desire to get a tattoo as I ask this question, so perhaps I'm missing a key element of the tattooing equation, but...

isn't there usually something beyond "I like how it looks" to getting a tattoo? Not necessarily something massively profound, but there are tons of things I think look cool, but that seems a far cry from wanting to get it permanently etched on my body, yaoming?

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts

is that alan thicke?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I also have a tattoo question and I am not asking it to be a smart-ass - what is the point in getting a back piece? I can understand the 'conquering the pain' thing and even the vanity thing of showing it to the world, but what good is something you can't even see for yourself?

• Options

is that alan thicke?

You're damn right it is and yes it hurt like a bitch. He was so tender to me that one night, it was the least I could do.

I also have a tattoo question and I am not asking it to be a smart-ass - what is the point in getting a back piece? I can understand the 'conquering the pain' thing and even the vanity thing of showing it to the world, but what good is something you can't even see for yourself?

Well in America, we have mirrors. And you wouldn't buy some jeans if they had corny back pockets, even if you couldn't see them.

But a better and more serious answer is that the back has traditionally been considered the best canvas available. It tends to hold up well over the years (as opposed, to say, a future beer belly) and offers the largest canvas on the entire body.

And to your question, Enki: sure, there are reasons that go beyond aesthetics, but it's annoying when the first question is, "But what does that mean?" I didn't ask you what your pants meant....

Worse yet: "How much did that cost?" I usually just say, "Sorry, it's not for sale."

• Options
    Worse yet: "How much did that cost?" I usually just say, "Sorry, it's not for sale.

Damn that's good. I just tell them "Twenty grand for it all" and watch their jaws drop. Try that too.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    but what good is something you can't even see for yourself?

By that logic, all fat guys should be castrated.

Worse yet: "How much did that cost?" I usually just say, "Sorry, it's not for sale.

Damn that's good. I just tell them "Twenty grand for it all" and watch their jaws drop. Try that too.

Ha! Excellent. I also like, "Less than most wedding dresses and I'll wear it more than once."

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    "Twenty grand for it all"
    I say the same thing when people ask about my pants.

Sween, I need your advice an unrelated matter: I've been thinking of starting to refer to my shits as "James Brown Reissues." Are heads, in your estimation, ready?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I also have a tattoo question and I am not asking it to be a smart-ass - what is the point in getting a back piece?

Honestly? Part of the importance for me is that I, for the most part, hate myself. And covering my skin makes me look less like my father. The images are part of it, but not having to see my own skin is comforting.

[color:pink]Please no one respond to this by telling me what a "dude" I am. [/color]

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    And to your question, Enki: sure, there are reasons that go beyond aesthetics, but it's annoying when the first question is, "But what does that mean?" I didn't ask you what your pants meant....

Makes sense. I can see how "what does it mean?" can easily become the Annoying Becky Request of the tattoo world.

BTW, my pants mean that I am awesome.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Actually, funny enough, I meant that "outward projection" is a valid reason to get a tattoo (I think my grammar was off). I mean, why not? We disparately want to relate to other people so why not project ourselves in a more severe outwardly manner via tattoo? Sure, sometimes what people project is really fucking lame, but it's still a valid reason if they are open and honest about it. If dude wants to get "THUG LIFE" on his belly because he thinks he is a thug and venerates the lifestyle... why not?

That being said, having a tattoo actually benefit you either through meaning or constant reminder is, in my mind, a better reason for getting it, but no more valid than projection.

• In the end I got it for my benefit and not as some outward projection, which is as valid as any the only[/b] reason to get a tattoo.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    DJ Daze on BLIZZAST!!!!

TRAMP STAMP TRIBAL TURNTABLE TATTOO!!!!

• Options
    "Twenty grand for it all"
    I say the same thing when people ask about my pants.

Sween, I need your advice an unrelated matter: I've been thinking of starting to refer to my shits as "James Brown Reissues." Are heads, in your estimation, ready?

Did you edit this to add the boldface later on? Because the true meaning of the "James Brown Reissue" didn't come to me until yesterday, when all of a sudden it hit me like a ton of bricks on some BAM, HOW COULD I BE SO STUPID!! type thing. I knew there had to be more to that and carried the riddle around for two whole days.