NBA OFF SEASON

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You don't think a Kobe/Marion/Odom teamup has a chance?

To get out of the first round...

I missed the Odom part of your post--the trade under discussion is Marion/Odom, leaving the Lakers as a two-man team. Who else could the Lakers possibly offer for Marion, aside from Kobe? Chris Mihm? D-Fish? Kerr will hardly be able to restrain himself!

Yeah, but part of the reason the Sun want to get rid of Marion is to stay under the salary cap, meaning they wouldn't want Odom.

They're cap-shy but they don't want to get rid of him at all. They jettisoned Kurt Thomas so they'd have more cap space in order to keep him. The one and only reason they would get rid of him is if his level of ass-hurt cripples the team[/b].

Good point.
    I also support your usage of "ass-hurt".

His behavior pretty much embodies the concept.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Marion's got all the athleticism and skills in the world. I could imagine him being sour for not getting the due salary and respect. Ofcourse it's tough getting shine on a team with Steve Nash (2 time MVP), Amare Stoudamire, and Leandro Barbosa. And now Grant Hill's on board. Wouldn't mind seeing him in LA.

Marion's got all the athleticism and skills in the world. I could imagine him being sour for not getting the due salary and respect.

Dude, he is getting the salary.

$15M last year--that's 20th in the L, $2.5M more than Amare and $4.5M more than Nash.

He's just mad that they didn't want to give him an extension at $20M a year, which I think would make him one of the three highest paid active players, along with Shaq and KG (and, yes, that's more than Kobe will make next year).

Marion's got all the athleticism and skills in the world. I could imagine him being sour for not getting the due salary and respect.

Dude, he is getting the salary.

$15M last year--that's 20th in the L, $2.5M more than Amare and $4.5M more than Nash.

He's just mad that they didn't want to give him an extension at $20M a year, which I think would make him one of the three highest paid active players, along with Shaq and KG (and, yes, that's more than Kobe will make next year).

Oh...I didn't do my homework.

However, there are plenty of players in the league that may be undeserving of a top salary...i.e. Michael Finley, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, and Chris Webber who make close to 20mil.

I'm checking out his numbers....stellar for the last 7 years. Where else you gonna find a small forward putting up a 20 and 10, 2 steals, 1.5 blocks, and 52% shooting. He rarely misses a game (this is rare), he's a vet, and I think he may be worthy of a raise.

Adding:

Completing nearly all games in an 82 game season for 7 years straight is damn impressive. Plus, I'd say his shelf life is 5 or 6 years easy, considering how well-conditioned an athlete he is. He's worked well on this team, and matter of fact I think he's an unheralded star in the league. Your ordinary fan doesn't really talk about him.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    In spite of his numbers, if he ain't happy he ain't staying. I don't think Kerr is scared of making changes, ie bringing Grant Hill, Darryl Strawberry, and adding Brian Skinner while losing Kurt Thomas.

I think Shawn is gone.

• So who plays defense on the Suns if Marion is out?

Completing nearly all games in an 82 game season for 7 years straight is damn impressive plus deep playoff runs half those years means his body has some serious wear and tear.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    So who plays defense on the Suns if Marion is out?

^^ Good question. Raja Bell for starters...

^^ Good question. Raja Bell for starters...

The Kobe-stopper!

[color:white]I see you, Yuichi![/color]

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

"You don't need defense to beat the Mavs, so what's it matter?"

(hi GP! )

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

No one. Defense isnt in the plan. I would love see him breakout of `phoenix.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    OAKLAND, Calif. -- Stephen Jackson reported to the Golden State Warriors' training camp Monday with a new tattoo covering much of his chest. With a church window as the background, two praying hands are inked on his sternum -- and they're holding a gun.

Yes, this is the same Stephen Jackson who will miss the Warriors' first seven games under NBA suspension for pleading guilty to a felony charge of criminal recklessness after firing an awfully similar gun into the air at an Indianapolis strip club.

"I pray I never have to use it again," Jackson said in explanation.

Jackson's incredible audacity under the tattoo needle is stunning even to his teammates, who seem to be in a frantic competition to cover their entire bodies in ink.

"I can't believe that one," said Al Harrington, who redecorated his arms and back. "I thought I was crazy."

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    wow.

• DUMB

Completing nearly all games in an 82 game season for 7 years straight is damn impressive plus deep playoff runs half those years means his body has some serious wear and tear.

Shelf life another 5 or 6 years easy. The Scientist hath spoken.

DUMB

LOVE IT

Dude's 30--get real.

• So who plays defense on the Suns if Marion is out?

"You don't need defense to beat the Mavs, so what's it matter?"

(hi GP! )

You're hollering at me but ain't it the Spurs they need to have beaten a coupla times?

We'll win a trophy before Nash and the Suns do. Dealing/losing Marion makes that claim less bold is all.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Its time to trade Kobe.

GP: It's Nelson having a mental lapse back to his team consultant days. Pay heed, he speaks from experience.

Nobody specifically: as far as this marion bullshit- he's not going anywhere. The lakers wont part with odom because the front office job description in LA is "dolt". (Plus, when Odom isn't in the middle of some horrible funk, he works pretty well in the triangle). They offered Kwame. GTFOOHWTBS!! Dude doesn't know his asshole from his earhole.
    Utah is stuck with AK47's huge ass contract. It's too much of a gamble to put the suns in a worse financial situation in one year to take on a player that might work out in the D'Antoni run and gun.
    Marion will play his ass off this season for the suns, thinking that he will get more money when he exercises his player option at the end of the season. He wont, and it will be interesting to see how the suns counter his moves.

There's a new era of "frugal" GM's in town in the West, they make people like Don Nelson, Baron Davis and Shawn Marion lose sleep at night.

this is what is fuckin' me up right now. Wasn't Oden's originally a "minor orthoscopic procedure" too?
    PHOENIX (AP) - Suns forward Amare Stoudemire will undergo minor arthroscopic knee surgery on Tuesday but is expected to be sidelined only two to three weeks.

The operation to remove a loose particle will be on the All-Star's right knee, not the left on which microfracture surgery was done two years ago. That operation forced him to miss virtually all of the 2005-06 season.

"It's a procedure that Raja (Bell) just went through just to clean it up," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We have time to do it so we thought let's go ahead and get it done."

Team orthopedic surgeon Thomas Carter will perform the operation.

There was no mention of the impending surgery, by Stoudemire or anyone else, during the team's media day gathering on Monday. The plans were revealed in a news release issued by the team Monday evening.

The Suns, without Stoudemire, traveled by bus Monday to Tucson, where they begin a six-day training camp on Tuesday at the University of Arizona's McKale Center.

Stoudemire had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee while recovering from the microfracture procedure.

He was named first team all-NBA last season after averaging 20.4 points and 9.6 rebounds.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7287582

Lakers camp- Kobe showed!
    "I'm a soldier. It's not my decision to say whether or not we should fight the war," he said. "My focus and my mind has to be on this team. We have an uphill battle. I'm going to do all I can to help us win."
    I've heard Kobe do the "I'm a soldier"/battlefield metaphor routine before. He needs to put that shit up though, that's about as cheesy as you can get. At one point, he was saying that Smush was a soldier, too.

We'll win a trophy before Nash and the Suns do.
    almost forgot: LOL.

Dude's 30--get real.

NYC SWAGGER IN FULL EFFECT.

• We'll win a trophy before Nash and the Suns do.

I didn't...EAT A DICK.

I mean seriously dude, what's gonna change for them that they'll ever be able to beat the Spurs in the playoffs?

Maybe we could beat the Spurs for them and they'd beat us, but that's about it.

We'll win a trophy before Nash and the Suns do.

I mean seriously dude, what's gonna change for them that they'll ever be able to beat the Spurs in the playoffs?

Perhaps the League brass won't conspire against them in the playoffs this year?

Maybe we could beat the Spurs for them and they'd beat us, but that's about it.

A LOT OF GUFF FROM A GUY WHO'S TEAM GOT FIRST ROUNDED BY THE 8 SEED.

Perhaps the League brass won't conspire against them in the playoffs this year?

I'ma let you have this one. We're even for your Dianne Wade comments.