YOUR FAVOURITE SOUTH-AMERICAN PSYCH RECORDS

lord234lord234 236 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
mine is the first mutantes album -which is pretty common- but i'm curious how much you guys know about south-american psych

Comments

• mine is the first mutantes album -which is pretty common- but i'm curious how much you guys know about south-american psych

I caught this awhile ago and there is some sick shit on it...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    mine is the first mutantes album -which is pretty common- but i'm curious how much you guys know about south-american psych

Peru was

We All Together =

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Modulo 1000
    Vo Dei - La Biblia

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    i like etcetera better but this one's cool too....

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

We All Together =

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    If you're coming from a Mutantes perspective, check for anything with arrangements by Rogerio Duprat.

I enthusiastically second the Laghonia and We All Together suggestions and add Limonada along similar lines.

The Discos Mariposa CD label has good taste in their reissues. Ronnie Von and O Bando will be of particular interest to Mutantes fans.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

This one and that other of theirs is dope!

I also kind of like that Aguaturbia record, only have mp3s.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    not quite psych, but span professor played los jaivas - sube a nacer conmigo hermano

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Brazilian psych is almost almost[/b] as bad as English psych. English psych is just the straight up doo-doo-on-a-stick. That early King Crimson shit and stuff is just plain embarrassing. Whenever I hear it, I get the mental image of these people prancing around dressed in midievel tights and hats sprinkling there psychedelic pixie dust. Anyway, that Duprat shit is just straight-up boring. Its just a bunch of cacaphonous noise that has way to many changes to it. If you ask me, and even if you dont, I always thought the only good psych was that of the early San Francisco bands like the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, the Airplane, Country Joe, Big Brother, etc. At least that shit is musical.

----------------------

the spelling and grammar in this post is so pathetic I think it qualifies as "rant."

But I'll give you Bat Macumbo, just not the version on that LP.

Brazilian psych is almost almost[/b] as bad as English psych. English psych is just the straight up doo-doo-on-a-stick. That early King Crimson shit and stuff is just plain embarrassing. Whenever I hear it, I get the mental image of these people prancing around dressed in midievel tights and hats sprinkling there psychedelic pixie dust. Anyway, that Duprat shit is just straight-up boring. Its just a bunch of cacaphonous noise that has way to many changes to it. If you ask me, and even if you dont, I always thought the only good psych was that of the early San Francisco bands like the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, the Airplane, Country Joe, Big Brother, etc. At least that shit is musical.

----------------------

the spelling and grammar in this post is so pathetic I think it qualifies as "rant."

By "musical" I take it you mean melodic and uncomplicated?

I'm guessing you haven't heard Duprat's stuff with Nara Leao. It's some of the gentlest, prettiest music imaginable.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    La Revolucion De Emiliano Zapata - "Hoy"
    Toncho Pilatos "S/T"
    Spiders 1st LP
    Mexican Kaleidescope
    The Survival

Bingo.

I'm not a big Nara fan either, she's a little too subdued for the saba-man.

• La Revolucion De Emiliano Zapata - "Hoy"
    Toncho Pilatos "S/T"
    Spiders 1st LP
    Mexican Kaleidescope
    The Survival

mexico is not in south america

i really like the telegraph ave record

Duprat boring???

U crazy son.....

Anyway tell us about your favourite south american psych records, and stop talkin shit about brazilian music.....

Bingo.

Okay... to me "noisy and cacaphonous" are not synonymous with "boring" -- but I also wanted to point out that only a small portion of Duprat's work can really be termed "noisy and cacaphonous."

Bingo.

Okay... to me "noisy and cacaphonous" are not synonymous with "boring" -- but I also wanted to point out that only a small portion of Duprat's work can really be termed "noisy and cacaphonous."

that's true though. but he ahead of his time, a true fucking innovator

and let's get back to the program.........

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

For someone whose sole contribution to the thread
    was "Mutantes" and then broke out a pen & paper to
    start making a wants list from other people's knowledge,
    you're pretty damn pushy ... [themack]fall back, son[/themack]

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

wanna work on the book w/ us?

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=890406&an=0&page=0#Post890406

nah i'm just curious. i can name names all day long from Almendra to Ze Ramalho, but the self titled Mutantes is my favourite, what can i do? maybe that's not deep enough for you but good enough for me.....

by the way i hope i get a signed copy of that book.....

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    La Revolucion De Emiliano Zapata - "Hoy"
    Toncho Pilatos "S/T"
    Spiders 1st LP
    Mexican Kaleidescope
    The Survival

mexico is not in south america

i really like the telegraph ave record

Oh shit....then I don't like those records.....nevermind.

I can't wait for the fave North American Psych thread.

Bingo.

i dislike both[/b] noisy and cacaphonous and[/b] quiet and boring. i didn't say they were the same thing. How about this, I think Duprat, regardless of whether the work is noisy and cacaphonous or not is "over-orchestrated."

just my opnion, i know a lot of people like brazilian psych and they obviously pay a lot of money for it. like the way people will pay $125 for a pair of slacks from the GAP.

• No offense but if King Crimson are the reason you dislike English psych then you really ought to listen to more English psych before you cast such sweeping judgements.

----------------------

Some of it is bad and boring, and some of it is just incredible. i dont understand whats not musical about duprat though. how many albums did you listen to that were produced by him?

No offense but if King Crimson are the reason you dislike English psych then you really ought to listen to more English psych before you cast such sweeping judgements.

i just cited them as a particularly egregious example.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The O Bando and Os Brazoes records are my favorite South American psych LPs(of the ones I have heard) The O Bando is so good, its a shame they got lost in the shadow of Os Mutantes...and as far as S.A. psych icons go...Lany Gordin is that dude...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    The O Bando and Os Brazoes records are my favorite South American psych LPs(of the ones I have heard) The O Bando is so good, its a shame they got lost in the shadow of Os Mutantes...and as far as S.A. psych icons go...Lany Gordin is that dude...

Those are both great although I don't own O Bando yet... yet! My favorite in the collection is Liverpool - Por Favor Successos. Very similar to Os Brazoes.