YOUR FAVOURITE SOUTH-AMERICAN PSYCH RECORDS

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I had a copy of that Liverpool record at the shop for months... it is SO dope... finally traded it off to a homie after successive "Yo I am looking for Brazilian Psych" dudes fronted

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    No offense but if King Crimson are the reason you dislike English psych then you really ought to listen to more English psych before you cast such sweeping judgements.

i just cited them as a particularly egregious example.

son

fracture .......bitch

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Some of it is bad and boring, and some of it is just incredible. i dont understand whats not musical about duprat though. how many albums did you listen to that were produced by him?

Its just not my thing. Its too much work to listen too. I know its gotten a lot of hype and everybody listens to Duprat and Veloso and everybody is down with it and even Thurston Moore likes them, but I was at princess thurstina's birthday party a few years ago and they were playing gbor szabo, so I just dont buy into it. Don't get me wrong, I love breazilian music, thats all i do (www.sabadabada.com) and I realize that the music has been influenced by jazz and pop, but it always still had the rhythm beat. The psych stuff just sounds like bad imitations of American music to me.

• lord234lord234 236 Posts

Some of it is bad and boring, and some of it is just incredible. i dont understand whats not musical about duprat though. how many albums did you listen to that were produced by him?

Its just not my thing. Its too much work to listen too. I know its gotten a lot of hype and everybody listens to Duprat and Veloso and everybody is down with it and even Thurston Moore likes them, but I was at princess thurstina's birthday party a few years ago and they were playing gbor szabo, so I just dont buy into it. Don't get me wrong, I love breazilian music, thats all i do (www.sabadabada.com) and I realize that the music has been influenced by jazz and pop, but it always still had the rhythm beat. The psych stuff just sounds like bad imitations of American music to me.

and what about the jorge ben album from '69? the self titled one? you can't tell me you don't like that one either.

i need a pic or issue number, there's more than a couple just named Jorge Ben if i remember correctly. But I would never consider Jorge Ben psych. I mean, he sings about wierd interplanetary psych stuff, but the music is more bossa/MPB

• I probably haven't heard enough to make a really informed statement about my favorites, but I really like Satwa (psych-folk from Brazil) and De Los Corvets - Para Ella is pretty savage psych-rock with some lovely fuzz. Anyone else familiar with this one?

i need a pic or issue number, there's more than a couple just named Jorge Ben if i remember correctly. But I would never consider Jorge Ben psych. I mean, he sings about wierd interplanetary psych stuff, but the music is more bossa/MPB

yeah but now we were talkin about duprat productions right? i'm talking about the album that has "take it easy my brother charlie", "criola" etc on it.

I probably haven't heard enough to make a really informed statement about my favorites, but I really like Satwa (psych-folk from Brazil) and De Los Corvets - Para Ella is pretty savage psych-rock with some lovely fuzz. Anyone else familiar with this one?

yeah Satwa's cool, like anything related to Lula Cortes. for me at least

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Actually, Ben had only one album named Jorge Ben. This one:

Peace

yeah. thats not one of my favorites. I just, come at it from a different viewpoint. I like things like Ronie Mesquita and Kris e Cristina, that are poppy and have girls singing sabadabadabadabdadbadbada and shit like that.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    La Revolucion De Emiliano Zapata - "Hoy"

Their later record (1978?) is a turd though.

The post dissing South American psych music is hogwash. There is great stuff out there, but it just doesn't pop up on eBay all the time like American & European stuff does. Exactly one year until I fly to Brazil. I can't fucking wait.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I like things like Ronie Mesquita and Kris e Cristina, that are poppy and have girls singing sabadabadabadabdadbadbada and shit like that.

I only listen to funk that features the word 'kinetic' in it. I made a rare exception for Jimmy Castor Bunch - it's just began, but only because it's the styro 45 on the Kinetic label.

La Revolucion De Emiliano Zapata - "Hoy"

Their later record (1978?) is a turd though.

The post dissing South American psych music is hogwash. There is great stuff out there, but it just doesn't pop up on eBay all the time like American & European stuff does. Exactly one year until I fly to Brazil. I can't fucking wait.

exactly. almost all of the south-american countries have some crazy psych records, from paraguay to peru etc.

how come this thread is dead already???

THIS IS THE BEST OPPORTUNITY IN YOUR LIFE TO SHOW HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ABOUT MUSIC, SON!! DON'T MISS OUT ON IT, BECAUSE IT WILL NEVER COME BACK!!!! (unless someone starts a thread with the same title - very unlikely........)

(unless someone starts a thread with the same title [this week[/b]] - very unlikely........)

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I like things like Ronie Mesquita and Kris e Cristina, that are poppy and have girls singing sabadabadabadabdadbadbada and shit like that.

I only listen to funk that features the word 'kinetic' in it. I made a rare exception for Jimmy Castor Bunch - it's just began, but only because it's the styro 45 on the Kinetic label.

I roll the same way - only records with Great Blue Hills in the title.

I have no records.

I roll the same way - only records with Great Blue Hills in the title.

that's cool and shit, but what does this all have to do with O Terco 45s and Laghonia LPs???

come on now.........

how about ruy maurity. i like him. I read that he is antonio adolfo's brother.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Here's my favorite from Peru. The music's as facemelting as the picture.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    No offense but if King Crimson are the reason you dislike English psych then you really ought to listen to more English psych before you cast such sweeping judgements.

i just cited them as a particularly egregious example.
    dude, thats moronic! you're musical knowledge is as shallow as your politcal agenda. king crimson is prog for one. ever heard dark or the magic mixture? stay in the kiddie pool.

king crimson is prog for one.

thanks professor.

DJ FERRARI - that's what i'm talkin about son!

That Kabala shit is as hell.... how did you find your copy? I never heard that record, but i'm very curious about it.

• Billy Bond Y La Pesada Del Rock And Roll - Tontos

it's crazy that a fucking sopranos thread gets over 430 replies and this one barely over 50....
    you guys are either on some secret squirrel shit, or don't know shit about latin-american psych, or just don't care....

but i would really like to see some good recommendations on the level of dj ferrari and solidstate16.... or some good stories about buying records in south-america.

by the way, if i could see some good footage of bands like modulo 1000 or som imaginario in their prime i would go crazy... there has to be some good shit in the brazilian archives....

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I think you hit the nail on the head with "just don't care."

it's crazy that a fucking sopranos thread gets over 430 replies and this one barely over 50....
    you guys are either on some secret squirrel shit, or don't know shit about latin-american psych, or just don't care....

but i would really like to see some good recommendations on the level of dj ferrari and solidstate16.... or some good stories about buying records in south-america.

by the way, if i could see some good footage of bands like modulo 1000 or som imaginario in their prime i would go crazy... there has to be some good shit in the brazilian archives....

come on people ...... chop chop, we dont have all day here.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I think it's crazy you have 22 post and expect shit. what's with peoples self-entitlement nowadays?

http://www.the-sopranos.com/chat.htm

maybe if you go to a sopranos forum they may be talking about Brazilian psych?

I think it's crazy you have 22 post and expect shit.

so what??? i'm not expectin anything, i'm just curious what records you guys are feelin. i never heard about billy bond for example, but it looks like something worth checking. for one, you could recommend some good albums too, you probably have some deeper knowledge on this subject