yet another FINDS thread

Comments

• local indy record store closed and a long-time community radio soul dj sold his collection to this other store.. we were late on both occassions but still got some good stuff:

The Sam Smith is sealed on a private Seattle label, can anyone shed light? the Kyte album is a radio talent competition that has one great funk track on it..

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    local indy record store closed and a long-time community radio soul dj sold his collection to this other store.. we were late on both occassions but still got some good stuff:

The Sam Smith is sealed on a private Seattle label, can anyone shed light? the Kyte album is a radio talent competition that has one great funk track on it..

Thats Rick Smith and its actually on a LA label called Birdie
    nice enough modern soul I've had a couple copies kept one that was autographed "to the baddest mama I know - Rick Smith.

That Glass is supposed to be good from every account I've read, but I've never had a chance to hear it

oh oops the pictures didn't load until after I posted. disregard my bullshit

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,084 Posts
    No pictures because I'm lazy. All reissues except the last one. Sue me.

Hot Chocolate S/T (Import CD)
    Ska-Au-Go-Go
    "Rarest funk 45s" Jazzman comp
    Philip & Lloyd "The Blues Busters" (Scepter/Dynamic, 75..sealed)

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    [temporarily deleted out of paranoia]

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    all REALLY cheap

i was sold on the lower left record when i saw this on the back cover:

turns out there's a really shitty disco song on the album.

• local indy record store closed and a long-time community radio soul dj sold his collection to this other store.. we were late on both occassions but still got some good stuff:

Damn, you were late but still managed to cop a Trilark? I could use some of your kind of luck (or lack of serious digging competition?) BTW, the Rick Smith is decent as Adam mentioned but it's not amazing. Like two or three good songs at best.
    I have no good finds to post for this week. I did get a Cult "The Mail Must Go Through" but the guy I bought it from had popsike open on his screen when I arrived at his house... anyway, I got it for a relatively decent price but I'm not keeping it. Although it is a lot better than forum banter would lead one to believe.

• I like the Cult lp quite a bit. One walked in the door last week and it was really cool to re-visit, especially because I traded my nm copy over a decade ago and only had the single since then. The synth/moog lines are the icing, one of my favorite traits of 'circa 76 funk and soul stuff. The singing and songwriting is mad decent too. Definitely not an essential, but worth a listen or two.

• Thats Rick Smith and its actually on a LA label called Birdie
    nice enough modern soul I've had a couple copies kept one that was autographed "to the baddest mama I know - Rick Smith.

That Glass is supposed to be good from every account I've read, but I've never had a chance to hear it

oh oops the pictures didn't load until after I posted. disregard my bullshit
    i'm really feeling all the stuff on birdie i've ever heard.. that ronnie hudson 12 is still something i'm after..

The glass LP is good electro boogie..Bedrock was the single.. always reminded me of pac-jam (michael jonzun).. kind of along those lines at least..

• Damn, you were late but still managed to cop a Trilark? I could use some of your kind of luck (or lack of serious digging competition?) BTW, the Rick Smith is decent as Adam mentioned but it's not amazing. Like two or three good songs at best.

The trilark was in the rock area which was pretty much cleaned out (except almost their entire Prince stock was still there, why people front?)..this was yesterday (the day they closed down for good) when they've had 20% off week, 40% off then this week was 60% off.. im in portland and have plenty competition, but if the luck continues, i'll e-mail you some!

• That's what I'm talking about. Love grows a muthafuckin' flowa. Stellar record, congrats.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts

I can't even figure out if this is a joke or not....

I woulda maybe scooped these for a buck apiece back in my little dude dayz when I was tryin to find anything with a sample or drum to chop...

. Good for you.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That Big Daddy Kane album is a fucking monster.
    I still play that shit monthly.

The duct-tape on the Ramsey Lewis spine is a nice touch

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Got some stuff in my travels to L.A., Chicago, and my mailbox. The L.A. stuff was dirt cheap. The Nice Price stuff was free due to store credit. Most of the ModChicago stuff was trades and/or at ridiculously low "you're my bro" prices.

AMOEBA RECORDS LA
    The Mob: I Dig Everything About You / Love Has Got A Hold On Me 45 Colossus
    The Brand New Heavies: Dream Come True 12??? (pic sleeve promo) Delicious Vinyl
    Daniele Luppi: Fashion Party remixes 12??? (promo) Rhino
    Propellerheads feat. Shirley Bassey: History Repeating / Go Faster 12???
    (pic sleeve) Grand Royal
    War: Galaxy / Good God Feelin 12??? MCA
    Vive La Fete / Limo: Laisse-Moi (Fou-Remix) / Das Ist Der Rhythmus 12???
    (pic sleeve) Surprise Belgium

AGENT 45
    The Inclines: The Hippie /The Hustler 45 Gil

ROCKAWAY RECORDS SILVERLAKE CA
    The Plastics: Pate / Last Train to Clarksville 45 (pic disc flexi) Island UK
    The Stylistics: Rockin??? Roll Baby / Pieces 45 Avco
    Sweet: Fever Of Love / A Distinct Lack of Ancient 45 RCA Victor France
    Radio Stars: The Real Me / Good Personality 45 (pic sleeve) Chiswick UK
    Helmut Zacharias: Respect / Hurdy Gurdy Man 45 (promo) Capitol

NICE PRICE
    Neil Young: Time Fades Away LP Reprise
    Siouxsie & The Banshees: The Scream LP Geffen
    The Laughing Soap Dish: Rainy Day Sponge / Teenage Lima Bean 45 Voxx
    The Equals: Rub A Dub Dub / After The Lights Go Down Low 45 President UK
    Wizzard: Rock n??? Roll Winter / Dream of Unwin 45 WB UK
    James Carr: Freedom Train / That???s The Way Loved Turned Out For Me 45 Goldwax
    Wizzard: Rattlesnake Roll / Can???t Help My Feelings 45 Jet UK
    The Stranglers: Feline LP (promo) Epic
    Wizzard: Masters of Rock Vol. 11 LP Harvest Germany
    Amish: s/t LP Sussex
    Crabby Appleton: Rotten to the Core! LP Elektra
    Stone The Crows: s/t LP Polydor

DJ PARI / SOULPOWER
    Marva Whitney: I Am What I Am CD Freestyle UK
    Marva Whitney: I Am What I Am pts. 1 & 3 45 RD Japan

TROY SCORPIO BROTHER
    Mercy Men: Fifth Street / You Made It Thunder 45 Gee
    Ted Ford: Real Soul / I Can???t Give You Up 45 (promo) Budd
    Eskew Reeder: Green Door / I Waited Too Long 45 Minit

GIANT STEP PROMO
    Mark Ronson: Version Sampler 12??? (promo pic sleeve) RCA

BORJA GOROSTIZA ??? MODCHICAGO
    Dana Gillespie: Andy Warhol / Dizzy Heights 45 (promo pic sleeve) RCA Spain

DAVE MONROE ??? MODCHICAGO
    Nicoletta: Mamy Blue / Visage 45 (promo pic sleeve) Riviera France

TY JESSO ??? MODCHICAGO
    Giant Crab: ESP / Hi Ho Silver Lining 45 (promo) Uni
    The Merry-Go-Round: Listen, Listen! / same 45 (promo) A&M
    Sundance: Goodbye Goodbye / Gotta Get You Back 45 (promo) Soundville
    Tom Jones: The Lonely One / I???m Coming Home 45 Parrot
    Paul Nicholas: Reggae Like It Used It To Be / Lamp Lighter 45 RSO UK
    Bobby Fuller Four: My True Love / The Magic Touch 45 Mustang
    The Eggy: You???re Still Mine / Hookey 45 (promo) Imperial
    The Endless Pulse: Ghost Man / Time Is Wastin??? 45 (promo) Laurie

ERIC COLIN ??? MODCHICAGO
    Les Scarabees: Puisque Tu M???as Quitt?? / Non, Jamais 45 Gamma France
    Star-Tels: What More Can I Ask For / Exterminator Man 45 (promo) Lamarr
    The Trends: The Soul Clap / The Big Parade 45 ABC
    Renaldo Domino: Don???t Go Away / Just Say The Word 45 Blue Rock
    The Fascinations: Girls Are Out To Get You / You???ll Be Sorry 45
    (1971 reis.)Mojo UK
    The Wildweeds: No Good To Cry / Never Mind 45 Cadet
    Candace Love: Uh! Uh! Boy, That???s a No No / Wonderful Night 45 Aquarius
    Brothers of Soul: Hurry Don???t Linger/I Guess That Don???t Make Me A Loser 45 Boo
    Shades of Brown: Man???s Worst Enemy / Little Girl 45 Cadet
    Brothers of Soul: You Better Believe It / A Lifetime 45 Boo
    The Mighty Marvelows: Talkin??? Bout Ya Baby / In The Morning 45 ABC
    Kip Anderson: A Knife & A Fork / Take It Like A Man 45 Checker

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    One long time want scratched off yesterday (found locally)

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I took a small trip this weekend to tie up some loose ends...

here's some flicks from the trip.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    First week at the fleamarket where I didn't buy any Cumbia because that was all they had. So I got 8 records. Guess which Soulstrut disco recomendation turned out to be a total terd?

I was gonna get rid of the sealed Borstal LP because I had only heard the vocal samples off it - yeah that's if you bend for im, etc.. but then I read the Recordkingz review and I knew it was a keeper.
    HERE IS A CRAZY RECORD FROM THE UK ABOUT BORSTAL WHICH IS A KIDS PRISON.THIS RECORD HAS CRAZY DIALOG BONGO AND FAT DRUM BREAKS ALL OVER.ALSO THERE IS SOME SUPER MOHAWKS LIBRARY STYLE PSYCHEDELIC FUNK.TAKE A LISTEN TO THE SOUND CLIP AS THIS RECORD IS A REAL NUGGET.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    nice city pix payczech, the recs are nice too
    damn

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

I took a small trip this weekend to tie up some loose ends...

here's some flicks from the trip.

nice photos jonny... "dont get it twisted!" heh..

hey in this one, bottom right, whats the artists name? i know i own it, and i havent been able to find it for years because i cant recall where i would have filed it...d'oh!

bottom right is the Ray Tabs Trio.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    So I got 8 records. Guess which Soulstrut disco recomendation turned out to be a total terd?

Neither Cerrone nor Dazzle are terds

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Mr. Paycheck, your post is a personal favorite. what city is that? i wanna go there bad. very nice finds as well.

this may not seem like much, but this citys been so dry lately, i was happy to pick up A record at all:

ive gotten 3 JB Smash releases in the past few weeks...i think i only need 2 more to have all his Smash stuff. id never heard this album before but DAMN, theres like 1:30 of wide open drums on funky broadway, and its GOTTA be pretty purdie. can anybody confirm this? im 99.9999% sure it is, but i didnt think he ever played with JB...

I was in Baltimore and Philadelphia. Here's some more flicks:

• hahha! the picture of the building with the brick on one side, and the green vinyl on the other side... now that's straight up ghettoooooooo!! hilarious!!

That was actually in a chill part of town.

• mumbosaucemumbosauce 480 Posts
    hahha! the picture of the building with the brick on one side, and the green vinyl on the other side... now that's straight up ghettoooooooo!! hilarious!!

thats baltimore.

• Word, i've been in baltimore a few times when i take the 5 hour trip down to annapolis maryland. Found some nice pieces down that way when time allows me.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Jon - these pics are the highlight of my day,
    you have a good eye for snapshots ... I hope we'll
    get more of these from future road trips. And whether
    they're "gheeeeeetttooo" or not, those neighborhoods have
    more character and history in a quick glance than the
    razed-and-rebuilt gentrified areas of so many cities
    these days, especially mine

Also, this was a real highlight:

BUG BIRTH CONTROL CENTER[/b]

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    chill part of town.

Yep, vinyl siding is a mark of distinction in this here city.

Loving the shots--the "store/office for rent" one really does take the cake, though...as if you could just pay first/last/deposit and set up shop somewhere in bombed-out Northeast Baltimore.

BELIEVE

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

BUG BIRTH CONTROL CENTER[/b]

HONEST LOU's!!!!! lancaster ave represent!!

i'm in there regularly for glue traps for my classroom in the school

crazy couple in there...dont get them talking about united nations. crazy crazy crazy. i was jawing wiht them once and this drunk muslim dude (?!?!?) came in and made it a truly bizarre meeting of the minds. no place like it. i think

• Some finds from the past couple of weeks...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket