yet another FINDS thread

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Sorry, but I can't post in a superpoaster finds thread,it goes against too many of my personal beliefs.Been a few weeks since I posted stuff, so this is likethe "digest version" of my past month:Road Home is a surprisingly good early-70's rock LP, Lambert/Potterbring the same production and sound of their 4 Tops records of thetime to a rock band, and some of it works really well. Nice break, too.Travel Agency is a great, slept-on pop/psych album out of LA.Non-electric-stereo copies of the Otis have eluded me, finally a mono.That Chuck Jackson is awesome, 68/69 Motown LP's have a killer sound, IMO.Few nice reggae pieces - Michigan & Smilie is the only eBay LP in theentire post, and is a JA OG scored cheap from - of all people - Craig Moerer.The Sugar Minott is very scarce for a Mango LP, I assume because nobodywants to give up such a sick album, absolutely killer.Finding Nigerian Fela pressings in Boston = not happening too often, soI was pretty happy ... the King Sunny has some stunning tracks, and eventhough the Ebenezer Obey is a concept album about "the sanctity of marriage"it also has some mesmerizing guitar work. All were quite cheap.Also, yard sale season is back, and I've picked up around 30-40 solidalbums on peoples lawns and at flea markets for fifty cents to a buck each:The Roosevelt Franklin up above was from a yard sale, too, super clean for $1Got some other stuff but I've already gone on too long ...

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Recent wins and arrivals:

• magromanmagroman 88 Posts

What are the last two lps like??
    THE Orquestra sensasional and the other one???

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Got some other stuff but I've already gone on too long ...

MORE! MORE! MORE!!!
    I like to see what I could snab if I had an ounce of the digging powers you got.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    A pretty slow week here, just some 45 leftovers & some basic LPs. All good though nonetheless.

45s
    Solomon Burke - I Got To Tell It (MGM)
    Cream - Crossroads (Atco)
    Four Tops - Right Before My Eyes (Motown)
    Marvin Gaye - Pride & Joy (Tamla) - I have no idea why I flipped past this 45 so many times & never bought it.
    Marvin Gaye - How Can I Forget You (Tamla)
    Thee Image - It Happens All The Time (Manticore) promo - mid 70s rock by former Blues Image dude, Motown dist.
    Don Jacoby - Doo Dah (Camptown Races) (Pompeii) promo - horn led instrumental that rides that fine line between cool/cheesey.
    Tommy James & the Shondells - Breakaway (Roulette)
    Tommy James & The Shondells - Talkin' & Signifyin' (Roulette)
    Tommy James & The Shondells - Say I Am (Roulette)
    Tommy James & The Shondells - Hanky Panky (Roulette) - I had about 3X as many Tommy James 45s to listen to but so many of them sucked. These ones are pretty tough though.
    BB King - The Thrill Is Gone (Bluesway)
    Ben E King - Don't Play That Song (Atco)
    Kool & The Gang - Love & Understanding (De-Lite)
    MC Shan - Left Me Lonely (Cold Chillin') promo
    Jackie Wilson - A Woman A Lover A Friend (Brunswick)
    Popcorn Wylie - Funky Rubber Band (Soul)

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

The Orquesta Sensacional is fire--here's one of my favorite tracks from it: "Buscando Mi Gente"

The El Caballo Y Su Orquesta LP is solid; it has an older sound--mostly instrumental mambo/cha cha: "En La Luna"

• Rarely seen anyone talking about hiphop, but here are some pieces i got this weekend for basically nothing.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I hate when bitches copy my style. I will trade you embryo's surfin' for a OG pickachu mug.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Here's some MP3 action from my finds post, just
    a few of the things I was really into ... is anyone
    else having problems with divshare? It took me like 5
    tries since last night to get this stuff uploaded ...

That Chuck Jackson is awesome, 68/69 Motown LP's have a killer sound, IMO.

Chuck Jackson - Forgive My Jealousy - Motown 1968

Michigan & Smilie is a JA OG scored cheap from - of all people - Craig Moerer.

Michigan & Smilie - Eye of Danger - Studio One 1979

Guardians of the Rainbow - What Do You Do When You Lose Your Love - President 1969

Pretty cool mix of folk/psych and girl group styles!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

I remember when we put this on the turntable for the first time
    back in the day, shit was hillarious. Hearing Shy-D's high ass voice
    "I'm Mc Shy-D and I gotta be tough..." made us laugh sooooo hard.
    It turned into an inside joke that continues to this day.
    But I digress, this is a finds thread....
    I found nothing this weekend.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

in my opinion, the El Caballo LP on Discos Corona is the winner in the photo.

Incredibly tight ensemble, excellent mambo jazz tunes on the B side, A side is 60's cha-cha but jazzy and good. Definitely my sound.

peace.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

That Chuck Jackson is awesome, 68/69 Motown LP's have a killer sound, IMO.

Chuck Jackson - Forgive My Jealousy - Motown 1968

His other Motown LP is top shelf as well....

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

I can't even figure out if this is a joke or not....

I woulda maybe scooped these for a buck apiece back in my little dude dayz when I was tryin to find anything with a sample or drum to chop...

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    ebay styles:

Wayne Talbert - Dues To Pay .. does anyone know anything about this one? I got it for pretty cheap on ebay (9.99) , I have his second LP 'Lord Have Mercy On My Funky Soul" and it is good so i took a chance with this one.. )

i got a bunch recently in the field but don't have a camera handy .. here's some titles

Jaye P. Morgan - s/t (nice cover of EWF's "cant Hide love")
    Chicago Gangsters - I Choose You
    Nite-Liters - Different Strokes
    the Everyday People - s/t (on Red Coach, not the Canadian group)
    JW McGee - When We Party 12" (dope tune)
    Rozza & Wine - Disco Boogie Woman 12" (crazy disco track..g. carmichael production)
    Sabata - Man For My Lady 12" (hot boogie/modern soul track on TSOB)
    Demo Barry - City Funk (canadian version of 'Funkin For Jamaica' that comes off real nice) (2 copies)
    i got a bunch more but just don't feel like listing em.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I woulda maybe scooped these for a buck apiece back in my little dude dayz

Please to school us with your BIG DUDE findz, dude. Can you top this?

""Can't stop the music" :

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    how is that roosevelt franklin sesame street LP. I passed on one for $1 a few weeks ago...went back the next day and it was ghost.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

I woulda maybe scooped these for a buck apiece back in my little dude dayz when I was tryin to find anything with a sample or drum to chop...
    cuzzz, theres good music on the big daddy kane and ramsey lewis and the richard pryor is a classic comedy album.

so you're a herb. fall back

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    ebay styles:

Wayne Talbert - Dues To Pay .. does anyone know anything about this one? I got it for pretty cheap on ebay (9.99) , I have his second LP 'Lord Have Mercy On My Funky Soul" and it is good so i took a chance with this one.. )

This one's way better IMO - includes the excellent 'United state of mind'. Sharp drums.

how is that roosevelt franklin sesame street LP. I passed on one for $1 a few weeks ago...went back the next day and it was ghost.

Honestly, it's gonna be a grip-n-flip for me ... I gave it a
    listen, and it was ... cute ... but I can't/won't DJ it and
    since it's such a clean copy I should be able to get a nice $$$
    return on my dollar investment ...

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    sorry, no cam around. just random pictures from the web.

Edited for the SOULSTRUT FINDS-POLICE.

• Edited for the SOULSTRUT FINDS-POLICE.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    There's nothing here to see, move on with the finds, please, just move on.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

cuzzz, theres good music on the big daddy kane and ramsey lewis and the richard pryor is a classic comedy album.

the mack rules!
    and not to mention, that spider man record is strangely hard to find. i have about 200 super hero type records including most of the Power and 60s Marvel stuff and i have yet to turn up that particular spidey LP.

so thats a hot finds post in my book!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i 'found' about 250 lps from like '68-'85 that my sister gave me over the weekend, but its 95% comically weak stuff, dan fogleburg for days and what not. But free is free, and there were some late 60 presses of beatles stuff in good shape and some other classic rock stuff that are actually upgrades for me because she was a squirrel and never abused (listend to?) her records. so ill be doing some mint/not mint comparing, and then its off to the salavtion army for the greatest nation in the world: donation.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

not really.. i have multiples.

Belson - thanks for the info man!!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts