YNQ/Jewels EP

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody cop this yet. I'm feelin this latest installment of Madlib's imaginary band.Tracklisting - 1 Bitches Brew 2 Free Son 3 Porter House 4 Sport 5 Hornet's Nest 6 Elysian[/b] Can someone ID the tracks beyond Bitches Brew & Sport for me?

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    he prolly sampled Free Son from the Free Son Lp from Brazil. Pretty killa instrumental latin/brazillian funk sounds.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I was thinking the Hornet's Nest might be Hornets/Hancock reference. But it didnt sound like it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This is the first YNQ release that I'm excited about in years. Monk Hughes and Malik Flavors were a little too left field, and the McDuphrey and Miller eps were just ok.

I'm hoping this is more like

This is the first YNQ release that I'm excited about in years. Monk Hughes and Malik Flavors were a little too left field, and the McDuphrey and Miller eps were just ok.

What's the blue one - bottom right?

What's the blue one - bottom right?

Disregard - its the 7 inch. Duh.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    shit is way better than the last couple ynq releases. he's steppin his game uppppp

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

FEELIN THIS COVER! Jeff Jank illustration?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

wait til you hear the full length lp...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

FEELIN THIS COVER! Jeff Jank illustration?

Cosign, Jank is the man. He has made Stones Throw one of the strongest labels artwise.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

still his best

the keyboard on the new ep gives me a headache

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    His best? Don't you mean this?

This is the only one that deserves mention imo.

- spidey

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    His best? Don't you mean this?

This is the only one that deserves mention imo.

- spidey

there's always a couple tracks i'm feelin on the other releases but this and 'stevie' are real good.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    I liked the first couple of ynq albums but i thought stevie was a load of crap.Thats the reason i never checked the sound directions album. Should i go listen to that again? I like his style unless hes doing a cover i know then it just seems to show up the fact that he can't play very well.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    There are two versions on stevie. The first one was bootlegged to the maxx before it reached stores. It was supposely . Madlib was pissed and did another album which is the Stevie probably that you heard which is and tame as fuck. I talked with a bunch of record store owners and they all have the OG copy at home and say its fantastic. I wasnt feeling the new stevie that he did which was less then his previous one which was bootlegged. Sound Directions is amazing, Madlib plays with a bunch of other musicians, the trumpet mang from the keystones plays with him I beleive. Its nice, really nice, he does a bunch of nice covers. The new YNQ is much better then his other stuff, maybe just as good as his first ep, hard to say. But he has really grown, it shows it in the music. And supposely the drummer from Azymuth drums on some of the songs.

• subsub 311 Posts
    and there was a 200-300 regular pressing of the first version too as far as i know. it was made as some promotional give away for whatever..........

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    is the stevie og the one that was released as a promotional deal with triple 5 soul? i think it was only released on cd? or is that the weak one? i have it but i haven't really listened to it much.

• Anybody cop this yet. I'm feelin this latest installment of Madlib's imaginary band.

1 Bitches Brew
    2 Free Son
    3 Porter House
    4 Sport
    5 Hornet's Nest
    6 Elysian[/b]

Can someone ID the tracks beyond Bitches Brew & Sport for me?

what do you mean ID? sample source? doesnt really sound to me like he's sampling anything other than himself. Ok, there's the psyched out bubble sounds, but other than that it sounds like newly recorded material to me. Maybe he took inspiration from specific songs? Is that what you mean?

I'm feelin it. definitely a step in the right direction. drums on here are funky and crispy as hell. I think he got a flute for christmas.

• navydadnavydad 30 Posts
    Radek did this one. he also did the elle's theme ep.

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    Radek did this one. he also did the elle's theme ep.

Radek also did the 'stevie' cover and some nice shit for wax poetics -- hes a good illustrator.

The "Best" YNQ Yet.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

The "Best" YNQ Yet.

I like the "Umoja" track w/ Karriem Riggins a lot.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    y'all serious about this YNQ stuff?

I just feel like there's enough real jazz groups out there; I'm like, why bother with YNQ?

madlib does his thing with the hip hop beats, but the YNQ just seems like a lil vanity project.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    While I would much rather listen to a real jazz band, I feel Madlib is definitely growing with each release. His shit is really hit or miss with me but I'm really feeling the Yesterdays Universe stuff.

BTW, has anyone actually heard or even own a copy of the OG Stevie?? I've always wondered about that...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I just feel like there's enough real jazz groups out there; I'm like, why bother with YNQ?

I am saying.

I can't believe that there is a Yesterday's New Quintet discography.

I am saying.

I can't believe that there is a Yesterday's New Quintet discography.

somewhere the one DJ Rells is chuckling to himself that the one-off beat tape he created as an inside joke with his West London chums has actually generated fans .

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    While I would much rather listen to a real jazz band

Then why don't you--did aliens confiscate all the jazz records in your part of the world, leaving you with only Madlib releases?

I feel Madlib is definitely growing with each release.

So? An artist's "growth" in and of itself only constitutes a justification for listening and supporting if the artist in question is your elementary school age sibling or something.

^^^^ yo BTW Egon needs to hire someone to take care of that exposed wiring in the Stone's Throw office. it would be a pity if the YNQ deadstock went up in flames one night.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Ziiiiiiiiiiiiing!

Madlib, i.e. YNQ. is a snoozer. I really used to dig this. First couple of releases I was feeling, but the more that came out the more I realized this was wack. I don't think he's doing anything special. The covers a lot of times are eh and very few and far between that are worth mentioning...

Take the shit to STONESTHROW.COM

F*uck outta here with that sheeit!

Ziiiiiiiiiiiiing!

Madlib, i.e. YNQ. is a snoozer. I really used to dig this. First couple of releases I was feeling, but the more that came out the more I realized this was wack. I don't think he's doing anything special. The covers a lot of times are eh and very few and far between that are worth mentioning...

Take the shit to STONESTHROW.COM

F*uck outta here with that sheeit!

youre sleepin