YNQ/Jewels EP

2»

Comments

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Ziiiiiiiiiiiiing!

Madlib, i.e. YNQ. is a snoozer. I really used to dig this. First couple of releases I was feeling, but the more that came out the more I realized this was wack. I don't think he's doing anything special. The covers a lot of times are eh and very few and far between that are worth mentioning...

Take the shit to STONESTHROW.COM

F*uck outta here with that sheeit!

youre sleepin

No way... I'm serious when i say i really dug this at the beginning. But I guess it just got redundant for me. I haven't heard the new stuff, so maybe its better. But the Stevie and Blue Note stuff killed it for me and I was done after that...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I think "sleeping" connotes one's failure to take note of something, usually something dope. clearly we've peeped YNQ, concluded that it's a sad immitation of good music, and subsequently dismissed it. sleeping we are not. but I can nonetheless respect the opinions of madlib fanboys who would probably cop a recording of dude snoring and hail it as an artistic triumph.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I think "sleeping" connotes one's failure to take note of something, usually something dope. clearly we've peeped YNQ, concluded that it's a sad immitation of good music, and subsequently dismissed it. sleeping we are not. but I can nonetheless respect the opinions of madlib fanboys who would probably cop a recording of dude snoring and hail it as an artistic triumph.

what he said!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

"Dope".....critique omitted by default.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I'm seriously lost and confused by all the Madlib releases that have come out in the past few years. I feel like a wiki-guide just to figure out whats what.

WHEN IS THERE NOT A MADLIB RELEASE!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm seriously lost and confused by all the Madlib releases that have come out in the past few years. I feel like a wiki-guide just to figure out whats what.

WHEN IS THERE NOT A MADLIB RELEASE!

And don't get me started on his amazing consistency!

None of them are good!

1).I'm feeling how the boy Chad is channeling the spirit of Faux with his hattery of Madribuh.
    2). Madlib has put out more releases this year alone that most artists put out in their entire life x's 2
    3). I like some of the YNQ stuff. Like, 5 songs out of 304,000. And I have been reading and hearing good things about the new YNQ from dudes with actual credible tastes.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    y'all serious about this YNQ stuff?

I just feel like there's enough real jazz groups out there; I'm like, why bother with YNQ?

so because a guy does everything himself it makes it less real?
    by that logic, you shouldnt listen to stevie wonder.
    or maybe its the alias' that bother you so much?
    and that couldnt be the case, cause if someones name effects
    how you listen to music, youre retarded. and since you typed a full sentence,
    i'll put that assumption aside.

did you guess? i like some ynq releases.
    NO the new album isnt the best, since it sounds the same as the first
    couple ynq albums, so im glad 'they' called it quits.
    but releases like tribute to 'brother weldon' & 'ugly beauty'
    are, to me, really good, so how can i put him down?

if youre too cool to listen, fine. but its far from being terrible.
    YES, im totally ass hurt!

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    y'all serious about this YNQ stuff?

I just feel like there's enough real jazz groups out there; I'm like, why bother with YNQ?

so because a guy does everything himself it makes it less real?
    by that logic, you shouldnt listen to stevie wonder.
    or maybe its the alias' that bother you so much?
    and that couldnt be the case, cause if someones name effects
    how you listen to music, youre retarded. and since you typed a full sentence,
    i'll put that assumption aside.

My guess is it's not the fact that he does everything himself or uses an alias that makes folks dismiss it. It's the plethora of readily available jazz records of an infintely higher quality.

• I had no idea there were this many YNQ releases.

It's the plethora of readily available jazz records of an infintely higher quality.

Name some Jazz records that use Hip Hop production techniques to achieve its sound?

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    It's the plethora of readily available jazz records of an infintely higher quality.

Name some Jazz records that use Hip Hop production techniques to achieve its sound?

Though I admittedly have not heard a lot of albums that fit that description, I have yet to hear one I think is successful. Other than the YNQ stuff, can you suggest any? (not being sarcastic)

GTFOHWTB...

That's Jazz musicians making instrumentals of Hip Hop songs w/ a for the Winelight crowd.

Though I admittedly have not heard a lot of albums that fit that description, I have yet to hear one I think is successful. Other than the YNQ stuff, can you suggest any? (not being sarcastic)

That's my point. No one is doin' this.

Most muthafuckas is stuck on some We Got The Jazz/Jazzmattazz shit when they attempt to merge the genres.
    Or some bullshit ass college student whose father forced him to play the trumpet, but the kid grew up liking E-40......and poof,dude is trying to translate E-40 rhymes through his horn over some terrible key-BORED beats that his aspiring rapper/producer friend made in the basement and shit. Just terrible.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    From a Stones Throw e-mail newsletter:

YESTERDAYS UNIVERSE CD/LP
    Most steadfast review of the month: "Madlib's latest Yesterdays New Quintet release is as important to hip-hop culture as anything 2Pac or Biggie ever recorded" - HIPHOPDX.COM

::3pagr::

Most steadfast review of the month: "Madlib's latest Yesterdays New Quintet release is as important to hip-hop culture as anything 2Pac or Biggie ever recorded" - HIPHOPDX.COM

Anyone still using 2Pac abd B.I.G. as a gauge shouldnt critique.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Anyone still using 2Pac abd B.I.G. as a gauge shouldnt critique.

"YNQ is the Dr. Dre of the Smooth Jazz scene."