Further Adventures of Lord Quas

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Just got around to listening to this. What a pain in the ass! It like a tape of me sitting at home beat dropping all night. Not fun to listen to at all. You have to be really stoned to like this stuff. I liked the 1st LP, so it' snot like I hate him or anything. Just make a whole damb song please.

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    its ALL about the M.E.D.

get wit it!

• I disagree. I like it. It's funny. It's weird. It's different. So there...

I can say this because I'm generally pretty easy to ignore.

But this has been talkede about before. The lord quas stuff that is...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    its ALL about the M.E.D.

get wit it!

FUnny thing is, I was excited about the MED and not about the quas. But I ended up liking the Quas and disliking the MED. And I HATE on just about everything Madlib does. GO figure.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    I disagree. I like it. It's funny. It's weird. It's different. So there...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    One to ten, I'd give it a strong 7.5. Collage style production.

• It like a tape of me sitting at home beat dropping all night.

No it's not like your tape...I believe it's available on CD and vinyl,
    but not cassette.

Also, unlike your tape, Lord Quas is widely distributed.

I have a question:

What is the deal with sample clearance or lack thereof on all this Madlib
    stuff...the Quasimoto is of course loaded front-to-back with samples, but
    no clearances listed in the notes. He uses weird parts of some obscure
    songs, but certainly the StonesThrowSuperFriends will be able to spot
    a sample or two, and from there it's only a stone's throw, or 6 degrees
    separating the artist and some lawers.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    It like a tape of me sitting at home beat dropping all night.

No it's not like your tape...I believe it's available on CD and vinyl,
    but not cassette.

Also, unlike your tape, Lord Quas is widely distributed.

I have a question:

What is the deal with sample clearance or lack thereof on all this Madlib
    stuff...the Quasimoto is of course loaded front-to-back with samples, but
    no clearances listed in the notes. He uses weird parts of some obscure
    songs, but certainly the StonesThrowSuperFriends will be able to spot
    a sample or two, and from there it's only a stone's throw, or 6 degrees
    separating the artist and some lawers.

Terrence Clubfoot:

I think it's because the numbers Stonesthrow does on thur releases. They do so "little" that it's not worth it for a major label to go after them. That's my guest I could be wrong.

A lot of labels don't clear samples either ABB, BBE, OM cleared just one sample for the PUTS album, etc...

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    Devil's Advocate: Why do the majority of posters here dislike this label (stones throw)? It's just something odd I've noticed. Not because I'm a fan myself but because most of the stuff seems mediocre to good. So why all the attention? there's plenty of music that fits into this category. Usually I've really liked about one song per album, of what I've heard, and thought the rest were ehh. It doesn't seem particularly awful to me so..

Is it personal dislike of the artists? fans?

Not sure if I'll get a serious response but....

anybody?

• Why do the majority of posters here dislike this label (stones throw)?

Misterc, it is simply because it is a cheap thrill to impugn fany.

S.Throw has some fans that are super-fany.

Super-fans have a way of automatically setting themselves up as
    the punchline of a joke...think "Trekkies".

Some of the rapp music is good though, and the funk comps are
    real fucking thorough.

Misterc, I have a question:

You wouldn't happen to be the same Mister C a.k.a. CASPER, who
    recorded the track known as the "Cha-Cha Slide" or "Cha-Cha Slide Pt.2"

If it is the same person, congratulations, your track is still getting
    played at weddings all across the Midwest!

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I am not a Stones Throw hater (I don't cop to much of their ish) but I support a lot of Madlibs ish... I don't like this record at all and I loved the first one... It has some dope source material on it but... I don't know why I was expecting to be all over this and I can't stand it.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Devil's Advocate: Why do the majority of posters here dislike this label (stones throw)? It's just something odd I've noticed. Not because I'm a fan myself but because most of the stuff seems mediocre to good. So why all the attention? there's plenty of music that fits into this category. Usually I've really liked about one song per album, of what I've heard, and thought the rest were ehh. It doesn't seem particularly awful to me so..

Is it personal dislike of the artists? fans?

Not sure if I'll get a serious response but....

anybody?

I dont like the label. I think it is a great label and a solid business model. I have copped quite a few stones throw releases.

However there are people that think they can do no wrong. Which is not exactly true.

I like them. I dont think that there is a label i dont like. Usually it is the artists.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    misterc, I have a question:

You wouldn't happen to be the same Mister C a.k.a. CASPER, who
    recorded the track known as the "Cha-Cha Slide" or "Cha-Cha Slide Pt.2"

If it is the same person, congratulations, your track is still getting
    played at weddings all across the Midwest!

Damn, you remebered that video w/ me line dancing in front of the fountain. I'll also have you know the bar mitzvah's down south get the house brought down w/ that jam.

CHARLIE BROWN, CRISS CROSS, TAKE IT BACK NOW YALL.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    GET THE INSTRUMENTAL WHEN IT'S RELEASED.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    I liked the first album better as well, but that is just because its easier to listen to. this one is not bad its just easier to listen to when I'm baked

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I like it...some dope tracks. not something for everyone which I can understand. I like the second record (sides C&D) more than the first two sides.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Just got around to listening to this. What a pain in the ass! It like a tape of me sitting at home beat dropping all night. Not fun to listen to at all. You have to be really stoned to like this stuff. I liked the 1st LP, so it' snot like I hate him or anything. Just make a whole damb song please.

I gave this one an honest second chance yesterday. I smoked a J, put on my good club noise reducing headphones, and prowled around NYC while doing errands. And I still wasn't that into it. There were about 4 songs that were amazing, but I got so godamn tired of all the van Peebles samples. It just didnt work for me this time around -- can't say i didnt try. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind in 6 months...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I gave this one an honest second chance yesterday. I smoked a J, put on my good club noise reducing headphones, and prowled around NYC while doing errands. And I still wasn't that into it. There were about 4 songs that were amazing, but I got so godamn tired of all the van Peebles samples. It just didnt work for me this time around -- can't say i didnt try. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind in 6 months...

The actual "normal" songs are fine, but as a whole listen it's like one of those wacky psych LP's. It's just way to busy and crazy so that gets annoying. At least for me. I listen to some pretty out their stuff too. If you couldn't get into on a J then I think that says something. I kinda think he's dong the Cypress Hill thing. He's so stoned he thinks it sounds good, but it really isn't that great for sober people. Once again not knocking his production or anything, just didn't like it as much as the 1st LP.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

The actual "normal" songs are fine, but as a whole listen it's like one of those wacky psych LP's. It's just way to busy and crazy so that gets annoying. At least for me. I listen to some pretty out their stuff too. If you couldn't get into on a J then I think that says something. I kinda think he's dong the Cypress Hill thing. He's so stoned he thinks it sounds good, but it really isn't that great for sober people. Once again not knocking his production or anything, just didn't like it as much as the 1st LP.

Yeah, I listen to some far out shit all the time, this wasn't that far out tho, know what I mean. Too much stuff in there or something. For the first three songs, I was REALLY into it, then I got bored and frusterated for like 30 minutes and then it got Ok again, but by that time I was done. Waiting for just the strait up instrumentals...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    but I got so godamn tired of all the van Peebles samples.

this was my peeve on it too...i mean i am a fan of madlib and he puts in work, but him and doom are just wringing van peebles dry.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    He's so stoned he thinks it sounds good, but it really isn't that great for sober people.

Ever-sober ODub gave it 5 stars.

Ever-stoned me gave it 3.5 stars.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Yeah, I listen to some far out shit all the time, this wasn't that far out tho, know what I mean. Too much stuff in there or something. For the first three songs, I was REALLY into it, then I got bored and frusterated for like 30 minutes and then it got Ok again, but by that time I was done. Waiting for just the strait up instrumentals...

yea, didn't mean to over state it. I guess what I was saying is that I can handle quirky music that jumps all over the place and isn't all 4/4 verse chorus. But, this one just didn't do it for me. Kind of like with all the Melvin samples, I'd just as soon listen to a Melvin LP.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    He's so stoned he thinks it sounds good, but it really isn't that great for sober people.

Ever-sober ODub gave it 5 stars.

Ever-stoned me gave it 3.5 stars.

I, too, like this album.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I was excited for it to drop... but was initially disapointed. It was too disjointed and skit-ish for me... JUST LET SOME BEATS RIDE FOR A BIT!!

But it kinda grew on me. And I ended up liking it. I don't listen much though. I'm more likely to put on Edan's new LP rather than the new Quas.