record blunders...

williedynamitewilliedynamite 263 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
last week came across doubles of gangstarr's "flip the script" test press. $2 each. bought only one because i was low on cash and tempted by the fat stack of other worthy singles (gza, gravediggaz, early jay-z, atcq, etc.). also ended up with some turds. went home, checked it on popsike and saw this: http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=4840121915when i went back the next day it was gone. hopefully one of you all got the other copy... what are some of your record blunders?

Comments

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    When at the local thrift shop I came across this folksy looking record which happened to be from these parts (Icelandic) and in 3 beautiful shrink wrapped minty looking copies[/b]. Thankfully I did have the good sense to pick one copy up but when I saw it written in Pokora's books and seeing earlier auctions of it I lost it and went back there but the other copies had gone.

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    i lost the 2 good spanky wilson lps in a basement that i bought the entire contents of in 03
    amongst the 30,000 lps in bananna crates ,strewn haphazardly everywhere ,
    the lps vanished ,got chucked,or misplaced in the fray of piles and were never to be found oh fucking well

and recently i lost out on the sickest 4 full crates of 45s i have ever come across
    at a freak market
    10 bucks a crate
    i was almost in tears and hopping mad
    i had begun sorting them when the seller told me he had already sold them....
    someone beat me to them-some no name old ass senior citizen motherfucker that i have never seen before[who i made a ridiculous $$$ offer to ,but the old crusty fucker wouldn't budge-like what the fuck is that old bastard gonna do with that heat anyway?] popped out of the woodwork and snagged them minutes before me
    all because i didn't get up early enough[wood was being polished -tuff trade off]
    i am still fucking fumed but u can't have it all
    FUCK
    I
    Am
    Still
    Pissed

But time in bed with my girl was worth it

damitt

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    last week came across doubles of gangstarr's "flip the script" test press. $2 each. bought only one because i was low on cash and tempted by the fat stack of other worthy singles (gza, gravediggaz, early jay-z, atcq, etc.). also ended up with some turds. went home, checked it on popsike and saw this:

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=4840121915

when i went back the next day it was gone. hopefully one of you all got the other copy... what are some of your record blunders?

Hmmm...I have a test press of "LoveSick", maybe I should find it.

I threw this record away by accident when we moved from our last place.

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=4735092368

What am I gonna do

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    last week came across doubles of gangstarr's "flip the script" test press. $2 each. bought only one because i was low on cash and tempted by the fat stack of other worthy singles (gza, gravediggaz, early jay-z, atcq, etc.). also ended up with some turds. went home, checked it on popsike and saw this:

when i went back the next day it was gone. hopefully one of you all got the other copy... what are some of your record blunders?

Hmmm...I have a test press of "LoveSick", maybe I should find it.

What am I gonna do

Damn, that's one I wouldn't have even thought to check about price.

I remember passing on a Betty Davis for a dollar when I didn't know shit...I'm sure I've passed on more private stuff without realizing it, or just records that are out of my knowledge base, like a lot of doo wop & early 60s business. Not mad though, I've had some damn good luck this year for a non-dealer/non-collection buyer so I really can't complain.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

someone beat me to them

How is this a blunder on your part? Dude beat you to the LPs, right?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I know I've passed on the Yvonne Gray LP, and that cheeses me off.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

someone beat me to them

How is this a blunder on your part? Dude beat you to the LPs, right?

because i didn't get up early enough

... and then some term for sex that sounds like

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Booger from revenge of the nerds???

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Go down the hill real fast. If something gets in your way... turn.

My biggest blunder was when I found The Four Sights - Love is a Hurting Game for $1 at Goodwill. I was on my lunch break at work and I left the bag out on the front seat. I came back out after work and the sun had warped the record quite drastically. Doh!

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4888399483

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

... and I may have thrown away 10-15 stock copies
    of Emanuel Laskey "I'd Rather Leave on My Feet" ...
    but I try not to think about it.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    The only thing I can remember passing on was a copy of that Lori Zimmerman LP. Not rare, but definitely something up my alley. I'm sure I've passed on other things but just don't know it and I'd prefer not to know.

• KNOWKNAIMEKNOWKNAIME 51 Posts
    I WORK AT A RECORD STORE. WE GET A LOT OF VINYL IN THE DOOR. WHERE I'M AT IT'S AN UNTAPPED GODLMINE. EVERYTHING COMES IN AND I MEAN EVERYTHING. THERE WAS A BUNCH OF RATTY KIDS LP'S IN THE BACK ROOM THAT CAME FROM AN OLDER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. I WAS FLIPPING THROUGH AND FOUND A TIRED COPY OF "THE STARK REALITY DISCOVER HOAGIE CARMICHEAL'S MUSIC SHOP". NOT BEING FAMILIAR WITH THE BAND I WAS MORE STRUCK BY THE NAME. I THOUGHT IT WAS AN ODD NAME FOR A CHILDREN' RECORD. I PUT THE RECORD DOWN AND WENT FOR A SMOKE, NOT RETURNING FOR A FEW DAYS. WHILE AT HOME I TYPED IN CRATE DIGGING INTO YOU TUBE AND THIS VIDEO CAME ON WITH TWO GUYS TALKING ABOUT THAT RECORD! THEY PLAYED A CUT AND I WAS FLOORED I WENT BACK TO THE SHOP AND TORE IT APART LOOKING FOR THE LP BUT IT WAS GONE. MY MANAGER WAS GRADING THE STUFF AND HAD THROWN IT OUT! I ALMOSTED DIED. I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE. SLEEPIN' LIKE THAT.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    LIKE OH MY GOD

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I WORK AT A RECORD STORE. WE GET A LOT OF VINYL IN THE DOOR. WHERE I'M AT IT'S AN UNTAPPED GODLMINE. EVERYTHING COMES IN AND I MEAN EVERYTHING. THERE WAS A BUNCH OF RATTY KIDS LP'S IN THE BACK ROOM THAT CAME FROM AN OLDER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. I WAS FLIPPING THROUGH AND FOUND A TIRED COPY OF "THE STARK REALITY DISCOVER HOAGIE CARMICHEAL'S MUSIC SHOP". NOT BEING FAMILIAR WITH THE BAND I WAS MORE STRUCK BY THE NAME. I THOUGHT IT WAS AN ODD NAME FOR A CHILDREN' RECORD. I PUT THE RECORD DOWN AND WENT FOR A SMOKE, NOT RETURNING FOR A FEW DAYS. WHILE AT HOME I TYPED IN CRATE DIGGING INTO YOU TUBE AND THIS VIDEO CAME ON WITH TWO GUYS TALKING ABOUT THAT RECORD! THEY PLAYED A CUT AND I WAS FLOORED I WENT BACK TO THE SHOP AND TORE IT APART LOOKING FOR THE LP BUT IT WAS GONE. MY MANAGER WAS GRADING THE STUFF AND HAD THROWN IT OUT! I ALMOSTED DIED. I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE. SLEEPIN' LIKE THAT.

^^^ do you always lie in all caps?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Blunders will happen here and there. You can't know everything, see everything. My last blunder was around one or two years ago. I was at this big stock sale with Upskiboo, and I passed on the Leo's Sunshipp LP for 5 kr. (a little under a dollar). Didn't know it, thought it would be crap. Luckily, Uboo was wise enough to snatch it up half an hour later. At least it stayed in the family.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i once missed to pick up the elsie bianchi on saba; simply because i didnt know the lp and 50$ seemed a high price. fuck.

• The last one I was stupid enought to leave behind at a recordshop was Mary Lou Williams "black christ of the andes" on SABA. Im not even sure it was an OG but stuff like that happens...

That was 2 years ago and since then I have probably missed crazy stuff that I still dont know.

Dress

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

The funny thing is: I'm pretty sure I know the guy who got that other copy of the Gang Starr 12". Lemme guess - did you happen to buy it off someone on the sidewalk?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I know I've passed on the Yvonne Gray LP, and that cheeses me off.

your in LA now you'll find it again. I had regrets abouttrading my copy away to N**e B***o but afte a few months I tracked down the drummer on the LP and he hooked me up with a copy.

LMI is plentiful in these parts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

What am I gonna do

You know, I've never even heard this record.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

What am I gonna do

You know, I've never even heard this record.

SO GOOD. You really need to hear this record. If even for the Beans sample, haha. Check your PMs in a bit.

A few weeks ago I saw a copy of O.V. Wright's Nickel and a Nail on the wall at a local for $80. I'd seen the cover before somewhere, but wasn't familiar with the music at the time, so I left it. Later that week, I saw the cover again looking around online and downloaded a comp with most of the tracks on it. Then I rushed to the phone to see if the LP was still in stock and that sucker was GONE. I still feel a tinge of emptiness when I listen to Wright's music and wonder what could have been. Not that I can't get another copy, but the price was rather nice.

• gave three of these away for free before I checked popsike (luckily I had two copies left):

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=270028078010

Recently put one of these out in the bins at the store I work at for $1.99, went back a week later and it was still there:

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=4830476783

SONIC

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Back in my early days I passed up Incredible Bongo Band because they wanted $7. But since then I've found it on about 4 different occasions.

Biggest regret is not bidding enough on that JB's mystery LP.......

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    some no name old ass senior citizen motherfucker that i have never seen before[who i made a ridiculous $$$ offer to ,but the old crusty fucker wouldn't budge-like what the fuck is that old bastard gonna do with that heat anyway?]

You sound young.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Biggest regret is passing up on a few heavy collections. The last one really hurt. Soooo much heat. But I hooked it up for a really close friend. So, whatever. It's all good.

As far as a single record goes. This one hurt when I passed up on it on the cheap.

Sad day.

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    some no name old ass senior citizen motherfucker that i have never seen before[who i made a ridiculous $$$ offer to ,but the old crusty fucker wouldn't budge-like what the fuck is that old bastard gonna do with that heat anyway?]

You sound young.

but not like dolo

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Blunders will happen here and there. You can't know everything, see everything.

Agreed - but all these folks THROWING AWAY rare records, thats just unforgiveable.

If you don't know what you have, at least give it away... I only trash stuff that I know was mass produced and will always be around. Some of these things just barely exist already and you're taking (at least) one more copy out of circulation permanently.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I've posted this on here before but my fav bonehead moment was the time I found a bunch of sealed Mainstream records including Alice Clark. Cracked them all, listened to them, and made a keep and a not keep pile. Not being impressed with alice I traded her in to a local shop for next to nothing along with your boy pete yellin and hal galper and shit. Found out less than a week later how much people like that record.

Ranking second would involve me trading that Black Fairy record for super cheap - kinda of a throw-in record to buffer a trade for something else. Still don't want that record but if I had a little popsike in my life at the time that trade woulda went down differently.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    I put back Heaven Sent & Ecstacy in a goodwill because I thought I wouldn't like that eighties stuff...