record blunders...

2»

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

Ranking second would involve me trading that Black Fairy record for super cheap - kinda of a throw-in record to buffer a trade for something else. Still don't want that record but if I had a little popsike in my life at the time that trade woulda went down differently.

werd
    the last black fairy went for 300+ on the bay
    imma thinkin of horkin mine soon cuz ....its an ok lp ,and some sweet harmonies on there and its kinda a "kids record/community stage production joint" that i'll never ever find again sealed but its not that sweet

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    still havent forgot bout this!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    m*rt*n du ka stadig n?? at bagge den OG sunshipp!!!

......en lille trade?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    m*rt*n du ka stadig n?? at bagge den OG sunshipp!!!

......en lille trade?

Hahaaaaaaaa

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yeah, but without the autograph it's only worth $25

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

Yeah, but without the autograph it's only worth $25

I wish that were the case. Shit makes me wanna jump off a building. On the brighter side of things, at least odds are I could never fuck up that bad again in the future.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'd like my copies of Marley Marl Scratch and Don't Give Me No Bammer Weed 12"s back please.

Oh yeah, I remember passing on a DJ Shadow record for $10 that I already had. Oliver, who was with me at the store that day, was surprised to hear that I was going to leave it. I saw him sell it on eBay for like $80 the next week. Small potatoes to some of y'all, but a stinger to me no less.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Now that you mention it, I'm a little salty I parted with a few of my hip-hop 12"s.... sold minty marley scratch and lesson 1 WLPs for indie jazz cash.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    [Faux_Rillz][/Faux_Rillz]

TEN CENTS. I put this back cuz I had already stacked about a foot of wax for about $10 total. TEN FUCKING CENTS.

I was young, only 30 or so at the time. years ago. Stupid stupid stupid. It's not that I have heard the record itself is so amazing, but it was put back and it was a DIME. I must have been high.

Maybe you were just feeling especially heterosexual that day?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Maybe you were just feeling especially heterosexual that day?

Ashamed to admit there was a time when I was too cool for gay disco music. I have since embraced the Big Gay DJ inside, and regret passing on this and many other similar records and 12"s (self-inflicted AYO).

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

I was young, only 30 or so at the time.

30's the new 20 son!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    When at the local thrift shop I came across this folksy looking record which happened to be from these parts (Icelandic) and in 3 beautiful shrink wrapped minty looking copies[/b]. Thankfully I did have the good sense to pick one copy up but when I saw it written in Pokora's books and seeing earlier auctions of it I lost it and went back there but the other copies had gone.

Are the thrifts spendy in Iceland?
    Get'em all people that is the moral of the story.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    my biggest blunder is not knowing what any of these records are you guys are talking about, links just go to the popsike frontpage

my biggest blunder is not knowing what any of these records are you guys are talking about, links just go to the popsike frontpage

Usually once you sign in it will take you to the original link.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    a decade ago now--i was at a thrift shop (which is still my favorite thrift to this day--so many scores there) and there was AN ENTIRE WALL of old school hip hop and disco 12"s -- because of the overload, all records were 10 cents each.

of course, i was a young punk rocker whose interests in hip-hop mostly consisted of houston rap (being originally from htown) and fairly typical but good stuff like public enemy, run dmc, bdp, nwa, ll and oh--too short--i was a fan of yo mtv raps as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s, but never delved too deep though i liked a lot of it).
    anyhow, i picked up a handful of 12"s that were on sugar hill (grandmaster) as well as some cold crush brothers ("punk rock rap"), and a couple of de la and tribe 12"s.

there was tons of obscure to me releases there. i found out later from my older bro that the guy who dumped those off was this guy he knew who went to na (drug addict counseling) was a old nyc dj at the forefront of the hip-hop scene. one of his eyes were shot out or something crazy in a club shooting and he even carried out this front page of a old ny post or daily news that showed his mug.

if only i knew ....

oh yeah...i also remember distinctly picking up a gary bartz ntu troop lp "harlem bush music" og around the same time at same thrift (there was a lot of jazz there that day--i was so stupid!) and i remember liking it ok--but i was into punk mostly and at the time i thought of just cutting my record collection down to stuff i thought i would listen to on the regular. i was also just starting to get into jazz--and you know--i was just getting into the intro stuff first i guess--miles and hancock --i needed to handle that before i could handle gary bartz was my line of thinking.

so i sold it to my friend who runs a record shop-probably for a quarter-and it sat in his dollar bin for several months--if that tells you anything about the clientele of the store at that time! oh well--he knows a ton now too and i'm sure he kicks himself more than me.

• last week came across doubles of gangstarr's "flip the script" test press. $2 each. bought only one because i was low on cash and tempted by the fat stack of other worthy singles (gza, gravediggaz, early jay-z, atcq, etc.). also ended up with some turds. went home, checked it on popsike and saw this:

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=4840121915

when i went back the next day it was gone. hopefully one of you all got the other copy... what are some of your record blunders?

The funny thing is: I'm pretty sure I know the guy who got that other copy of the Gang Starr 12". Lemme guess - did you happen to buy it off someone on the sidewalk?

yeah man, got it from danny... he's solid. really good guy too.