Jerry Falwell is Dead

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the good ol USA have antisodomy laws? Seems to me that elected officals from Texas were recently arguing a sodomy case at the supreme court. Doesn't Rock elect officials in Texas?

I did indeed post earlier in this thread that there are sodomy laws on the books but that the way they are written they apply to all people, not just homosexuals.

Incorrect--although such laws were struck down by the Supreme Court in Lawrence v. Texas about four years ago.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the good ol USA have antisodomy laws? Seems to me that elected officals from Texas were recently arguing a sodomy case at the supreme court. Doesn't Rock elect officials in Texas?

I did indeed post earlier in this thread that there are sodomy laws on the books but that the way they are written they apply to all people, not just homosexuals.

Incorrect--although such laws were struck down by the Supreme Court in Lawrence v. Texas about four years ago.

But you see, any Good Old Red Blooded American who wants to take their God Fearing Wife in the poop shoot is just as liable to get busted as your average Gay Man! That law is written to apply to all people!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If I'm not mistaken, the TX sodomy law was overturned.

But a law being on the books doesn't necessarily matter in this country as far as carrying them out. I don't know if it's the same with regard to anti-homosexuality laws in Islam, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to get mixed up in this imbroglio, anyhow.

All fair and wise points. Except I think you mean anti-homosexuality laws in Iran and Saudi Arabia.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Just for the record, after I sent Rich a condom to gently clown on the insanely lame box of crap he sent me following four months of reminders that we were doing a trade and I wasn't just giving him a $200 set of records, I received about 20 hysterical PMs, the main theme being Rich hates fags like me. Unfortunately I deleted these small masterpieces of hate speech, but I'm pretty sure you can dig through the archives here and wakidermy to see some of the milder examples of this.

Some people will go to almost any lengths for an excuse to fight. Lord have mercy on their tortured souls.

Love the "rock" pun though Rich, where you goin' with that one?

PS Burn Jerry Burn

So you are against sodomites, but not homosexuals? Unless they are Muslims, which would make them homosexual, Muslim and hypocrites?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

So you are against sodomites, but not homosexuals? Unless they are Muslims, which would make them homosexual, Muslim and hypocrites?

You have a serious comprehension problem.

Until 1960 EVERY state had Anti-Sodomy laws.....Texas's was struck down in 2003, not by voters, but by the Supreme Court.

I don't see what any of that has to do with me, or my opinions?

Nor do I understand how you took the above posts to translate to "I'm against sodomites"???...I guess it's the same logic that had you attribute me with saying "All Muslims Kill Gays".

• If I'm not mistaken, the TX sodomy law was overturned.

But a law being on the books doesn't necessarily matter in this country as far as carrying them out. I don't know if it's the same with regard to anti-homosexuality laws in Islam, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to get mixed up in this imbroglio, anyhow.

All fair and wise points. Except I think you mean anti-homosexuality laws in Iran and Saudi Arabia.

I don't.

Do you think any sodomy law stems from secular beliefs?

Just for the record, after I sent Rich a condom to gently clown on the insanely lame box of crap he sent me following four months of reminders that we were doing a trade and I wasn't just giving him a $200 set of records, I received about 20 hysterical PMs, the main theme being Rich hates fags like me. Unfortunately I deleted these small masterpieces of hate speech, but I'm pretty sure you can dig through the archives here and wakidermy to see some of the milder examples of this.

Some people will go to almost any lengths for an excuse to fight. Lord have mercy on their tortured souls.

Love the "rock" pun though Rich, where you goin' with that one?

PS Burn Jerry Burn

This story has been played out here before.....if you don't rememeber or didn't see it here, you may know him as Douglas *******...the same Douglas who has had it out with the likes of AP after some infamously embarrassing 'weinie-like" behavior.......ask Raj, he'll fill you in on this dude......this guy has burned and pissed off more record collectors/dealers in a few years than most do in a life time.

I still have all the PM's, which you initiated, if you wanna get into that pissing contest.

You can disagree with my opinions, but beyond this asshole, I dare you to find anyone who questions my business dealings or generosity when it comes to the world of vinyl.

His PM's explaining that I disliked him because I was old and jealous that "he was hot looking and had a hot looking girlfriend" would have never led me to believe he would come out of the closet as he has above.

Shocking.

edit reason: last name omitted

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the TX sodomy law was overturned.

I don't.

Do you think any sodomy law stems from secular beliefs?

No. I do know that Islamic laws regarding sodomy are basicly the same as Old Testament laws regarding sodomy. Jewish law today comes from the Talmud, not directly from the Old Testament. But Christian law comes from the Old & New Testament. So Islamic law is basicly the same as Christian law in regards to homosexuality.

Since the 2 country I mentioned are the only ones I know of enforcing those laws you would sound like Delic if you said Islam, instead of the countries where those laws are carried out.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I still have all the PM's, which you initiated, if you wanna get into that pissing contest.

I just wanna say that I, for one, would like to get into this pissing contest. Please commence posting these treasures. :5pager:

PS If posted, this will surely become on the all time top five threads. I say go for it.

Until 1960 EVERY state had Anti-Sodomy laws.....Texas's was struck down in 2003, not by voters, but by the Supreme Court.

I don't see what any of that has to do with me, or my opinions?

Nor do I understand how you took the above posts to translate to "I'm against sodomites"???...I guess it's the same logic that had you attribute me with saying "All Muslims Kill Gays".

It's just that you keep shifting what you are saying. You've gone from Islam, to the countries where homosexuals are executed. (2 countries I believe.)

You are right. The Supreme Court of the United States Of America was forced to overturn the will of the people of Texas. The elected Attorney General Of Texas argued the case before the Supreme Court. In 2003 Texas was still enforcing the law until it was overturned.

What does it have to do with you? Are you not a citizen of the state of Texas? Does not what your elected officials do concern you? How can you criticize Jerry Falwell and not the state of Texas? Are they not the same. Wouldn't they both inprison gays if they could? It seems to me the height of hypocrisy to criticize one and not the other.

I'll try to state it so you can understand:
    I'm not a Christian.

I thought Falwell was a Dick.

But as someone who has been attacked here for not respecting certain STATES, I have two serious questions for those Strutters who are enjoying their Falwell grave dancing today.

1) If simple posts attacking TEXAS LAW are insulting to ALL TEXANS, then why aren't similar attacks on the Religious Right insulting to ALL Christians?
    And how could you support one and damn the other?
    (I don't think either are true)

2) If Falwell's stance on issues like Apartheid and intolerance towards things like Homosexuality justify intense hatred, why don't you have the same hatred for a state like TEXAS which basically has the same beliefs?
    (I dislike them both equally)

Please don't tell me known of this matters because it happened a long time ago.

Please use facts when you reply.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I just wanna say that I, for one, would like to get into this pissing contest. Please commence posting these treasures. :5pager:

PS If posted, this will surely become on the all time top five threads. I say go for it.

Actually, that whole drama has been re-hashed in many
    previous threads on more than one board, so it would be
    more like a "clip show" than a classic.

1) If simple posts attacking TEXAS LAW are insulting to ALL TEXANS, then why aren't similar attacks on the Religious Right insulting to ALL Christians?

All of our 50 States have had unfair and unreasonable laws on their books. The fact is that when it comes to homosexuals, the State of Texas has not punished (beyond a $200 fine, once) nor executed anyone for this crime, ever. The fact that it was reversed is a compliment to our current Government, not an insult to Texas. While there are plenty of negative Editiorial cartoons printed about the Texas Death Penalty I have never heard of a group of Texans threatening to commit murder or bombings as a form of retribution.[/b]

2) If Falwell's stance on issues like Apartheid and intolerance towards things like Homosexuality justify intense hatred, why don't you have the same hatred for a state like TEXAS which basically has the same beliefs?

Texas has no laws on the books against homosexuality. Texas is home to 2 of the top 6 largest cities in the U.S. with an openly gay population. It has laws on it's books to protect homosexuals from predjudice. No one associated with the current state government has participated in, or supported Apartheid, in South Africa OR the Middle East.[/b]

All of our 50 States have had unfair and unreasonable laws on their books. The fact is that when it comes to homosexuals, the State of Texas has not punished (beyond a $200 fine, once) nor executed anyone for this crime, ever. The fact that it was reversed is a compliment to our current Government, not an insult to Texas. While there are plenty of negative Editiorial cartoons printed about the Texas Death Penalty I have never heard of a group of Texans threatening to commit murder or bombings as a form of retribution.[/b]

Texas has no laws on the books against homosexuality nor has anyone associated with the current state government participated in, or supported Apartheid, in South Africa OR the Middle East.[/b]

You said you hate Jerry Falwell for his views on gays. The state of Texas has the same views on gays. Because the state of Texas lost a supreme court case in 2003 does not change that.

I will ask you again: How can you hate Falwell and not Texas?

Texas has no laws on the books against homosexuality nor has anyone associated with the current state government participated in, or supported Apartheid, in South Africa OR the Middle East.[/b]
    Again you are wrong wrong wrong. The state of Texas supported South Africa (when it was an apartheid government) by investing in companies that did business in South Africa. While other states chose to divest their holdings, Texas refused.

How can you hate Falwell for his views on Apartheid and not Texas?

You said you hate Jerry Falwell for his views on gays. The state of Texas has the same views on gays. Because the state of Texas lost a supreme court case in 2003 does not change that.

Tell you what.....I'll make it easy on you...

Name the current Texas elected official that has openly, like Falwell, called for criminalization of homosexuality in any form or fashion and I'll admit that I'm wrong and be on my merry way.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Man...don't post much for a week or so, and look what breaks out.

Fuck falwell, may he burn in the hell he feared. Hitchens did a number on him the other day on slate. good stuff.

Again you are wrong wrong wrong. The state of Texas supported South Africa (when it was an apartheid government) by investing in companies that did business in South Africa. While other states chose to divest their holdings, Texas refused.

The Texas State Government did this......I'd like to see proof.

You can check out Proposition 6 in the link below.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:hXX...;cd=8&gl=us

Tell you what.....I'll make it easy on you...

Name the current Texas elected official that has openly, like Falwell, called for criminalization of homosexuality in any form or fashion and I'll admit that I'm wrong and be on my merry way.

I knew you would not answer the question or use any facts in your reply.

How about 75% of Texas voters voting the way that Falwell and the KKK told them to?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174993,00.html

Texas overwhelmingly approved a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage Tuesday ... Three out of four Texas voters supported the amendment... Last weekend the Ku Klux Klan staged a small but well publicized anti-gay rally on a public square at Austin City Hall.

You are trying to say that the sodomy case doesn't matter because it happened a long time ago (2003). Are you saying that there are no politicians in Texas government today who were there in 2003?!?!?!?!?!? Has Texas every done anything to outlaw gay bashing? Has Texas every outlawed discrimination against gays?

Were you not the guy who said that Senator Robert Byrds decades of support for civil rights should be ignored because he was in the KKK briefly in the 20s and said "White niggers" in the 90s. Now you say that Texas should be absolved of its antigay past because the Supreme Court overturned a conviction in 2003?

Please don't go on your merry way. Please admit that you are a hypocrite who attaks Islam out of hatred for Muslims, while defending homophobia in Texas. I'd rather have you here and honest, than gone and clinging to your discredited belifes.

The Texas State Government did this......I'd like to see proof.

You can check out Proposition 6 in the link below.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:hXX...;cd=8&gl=us

Proving my point:

Proposition 6: Eliminating the Texas Growth Fund South Africa investment disclosure requirement.
    Pro: The disclosure requirement was adopted to object to South Africa's system of apartheid. This system no longer exists; therefore, the requirement should be repealed.

Texas was required by law to disclose investments in the Growth Fund. They were not required to make any divestment in the Growth Fund or any other investment accounts. To my knowledge there was no divestment in the Growth Fund or any other Texas funds or accounts.

Good try. Now will you admit that to hate Falwell and not Texas makes you a hypocrite?

The one and only time the anti-homosexuality law was enforced in Texas was the instance that led to it's reversal.

I'll judge Robert Byrd as an individual, not unlike Falwell.

But comparing the State of Texas to an Islamic Theocracy that has executed 1,000's of homosexuals is beyond absurd.

Here is some shit that someone else obviously made up to defeat your argument....have a field day.....they seem to be fairly straightforward and unbiased overall........but who knows how you'll see it?

http://www.religionfacts.com/homosexuality/islam.htm

__________________________________________________________________________________
    Homosexuality Laws in Modern Islamic Countries
    Same-sex intercourse carries the death penalty in five officially Muslim nations: Saudi Arabia, Iran, Mauritania, Sudan, and Yemen. [3] It formerly carried the death penalty in Afghanistan under the Taliban, and in Iraq under a 2001 decree by Saddam Hussein. The legal situation in the United Arab Emirates is unclear. In many Muslim nations, such as Bahrain, Qatar, Algeria or the Maldives, homosexuality is punished with jail time, fines or corporal punishment. In some Muslim-majority nations, such as Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, or Mali, same-sex intercourse is not forbidden by law. However, in Egypt gays have been the victims of laws against "morality".

In Saudi Arabia, the maximium punishment for homosexuality is public execution, but the government will use other punishments, i.e. fines, jail time and whipping as alternatives, unless it feels that homosexuals are challenging state authority by engaging in a gay rights movement. [4] Iran is perhaps the nation to execute the largest number of its citizens for homosexuality. Since its Islamic revolution in Iran, the Iranian government has executed more than 4000 people charged with homosexual acts. In Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban homosexuality went from a capital crime to one that it punished with fines and prison sentence, and a similar situation seems to have occurred in Iraq.

Most international human rights organizations, such as Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International, condemn laws that make homosexual relations between consenting adults a crime. Since 1994 the United Nations Human Rights Committee has also ruled that such laws violated the right to privacy guaranteed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covent on Civil and Political Rights. However (except for nations such as Turkey that were required to change their laws to be eligible to join the European Union) most Muslim nations insist that such laws are neccesary to preserve Islamic morality and virtue. Of the nations with a majority of Muslim, only Lebanon has an internal effort to legalize homosexuality. However, some Muslims have expressed criticism of the legal sanctions used against homosexuality.

Reasons given by Muslims condemning the executions include: the fact that some legal schools (e.g. Hanafi) regard it as unjustified; the argument that the death penalty is not specified for it in the Qur'an; the idea that the punishment is unduly harsh; and opposition to the idea that the state's laws should be based on religion. The introduction of the AIDS pandemic in the Muslim world has also promoted more discussion about the legal status of homosexuality as the legal sanctions against homosexuality have made it difficult to intiaite any educational programs directed at high risks groups.

While executions and other criminal sanctions curtail any public gay rights movement, it is impractical to give criminal sanctions to all homosexuals living in a Muslim country, and it is common knowledge (to foreigners visiting a Muslim country) that some young Muslim men will experiment with homosexual relations as an outlet to sexual desires that cannot be met in a society where the sexes are often kept segregated. These discreet and casual homosexual relations allow men to engage in premartial sex with a low risk of facing the social or legal sanctions that would occur if they involved in adultery or fornication with a woman that might result in a pregnancy. Most of these men do not consider themsleves to be gay or bisexual.

A related problem to full enforcement of the laws against homosexuality is that while the sexes are often segregated, men are encouraged to developed close friendships with other men, and women are encouraged to develop close friendships with other women. Also, the Islamic law requires a certain number of male and female witnesses to the homosexual act to testify in court. Islam does place a strong value on the right to privacy in the home and thus homosexual relations that occur in private are theoretically outside the bounds of the law, although that is more theory then reality.

Liberal Islamic Stances on Homosexuality
    Some self-described liberal Muslims accept and consider homosexuality as natural, regarding these verses as either obsolete in the context of modern society, or point out that the Qu'ran speaks out against homosexual lust, and is silent on homosexual love. However, this position remains highly controversial even amongst liberal movements within Islam, and is considered completely beyond the pale by mainstream Islam[/b]

The one and only time the anti-homosexuality law was enforced in Texas was the instance that led to it's reversal.

Just because Texas failed to get a conviction in a sodomy case does not change the fact that as recently as 2005 75% of Texans voted with the KKK and Jerry Falwell.

Nice job trying to dodge that one.

Not what you were saying in the thread where you were bashing him associations he had 70 years ago.

But comparing the State of Texas to an Islamic Theocracy that has executed 1,000's of homosexuals is beyond absurd.

That's why I didn't compare Texas to an Islamic Theocracy. I compared Texas to Jerry Falwell. You compared Jerry Falwell to Muslims. It has only been since you were called out as a bigot that you changed your tune from Muslims to an Islamic Theocracy.

Good job trying to change the subject. We were talking about the comparison between Texas (Which you continue to defend) and Jerry Falwell who you say you hate because of his views on homosexuality and aparthied. The same views the state of Texas has.

How can you hate Falwell for his views but defend Texas?

Please to answer with out changing the subject.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

Has there ever been a RIP thread for any (non-American musician) Muslim on soulstrut?

you forget guzzo's tribute to arafat...

Has there ever been a RIP thread for any (non-American musician) Muslim on soulstrut?

I remember now there was a thread. Was anyone saying nice things about Arafat? Was I? I seem to remember some people trying to reduce him to just a corrupt theiving politician (Vitamin I think). Were people saying he was a freedom fighter or something. (I hope I wasn't saying that!) I'm thinking that I would rate Arafat as better than Saddam and worse than Robert Mugabe.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

I remember now there was a thread. Was anyone saying nice things about Arafat? Was I? I seem to remember some people trying to reduce him to just a corrupt theiving politician (Vitamin I think). Were people saying he was a freedom fighter or something. (I hope I wasn't saying that!) I'm thinking that I would rate Arafat as better than Saddam and worse than Robert Mugabe.

safe to say guzzo was the only one saying nice things.

But comparing an individual like Falwell to a world religion is not? Plaese to stop the madness.

However, this position remains highly controversial even amongst liberal movements within Christianity, and is considered completely beyond the pale by mainstream Christianity[/b]

You could say that, too.

Theocracies are never good, Rich. Nobody here, least of all me, support Islamic theocracies. You have a basic disconnect in your understanding of faith and how one holds it.

You sound Godless.

If you can't extract one's faith from the terrible things that happen under its banner then you must have similar hatred towards Catholics.

Someone with a greater understanding of world events would know that the fight over orthodoxy in Islam is happening NOW, whereas these struggles had been playing out in other religions (namely, those in the 1st world/advanced world) for centuries. If you are not a believer then these struggles mean nothing. If you are, then you probably have a side, a desired outcome, something to hope and pray towards.

And in that spirit, I guess should pray for Falwell's soul. I'll see if I can overcome my hatred to do that. Hopefully you can overcome yours and see some of the beauty in faith, despite the fact that ALL faiths have terrible, ugly applications.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

You sound Godless.

New graemlin potential?

Ew. Perhaps I should've written "faith-less".

safe to say guzzo was the only one saying nice things.

Guzzo saying nice things about Arafat does not make sense. I guess he was just trying to start something.