Remember when Xzibit was kinda good?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
He never put out any classic material but these albums were pretty dope and sound pretty good in 2007. And dont forget about "Bitch Please" w/ snoop. I dont blame him for doing "pimp My ride" - but I dont think he'll ever have a credible rap career again.

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    acutally I think "Pimp My Ride" may be his best work.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts

I think he's high on crack every time I watch pimp my ride.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    ^^^I always thought that was a good video.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    acutally I think "Pimp My Ride" may be his best work.

Agreed. Dude makes good tv; witty, irreverent, and ultra knowledgeable about 'whips'. i could give a fuck about custom cars, but he makes me watch that show.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I do not recall this at all

• FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
    He raps like he's constipated now. I'll never for the life of me get who at the studio thinks this is a good idea. Who says instead of you rapping like you always have which everyone likes, rap in deep voice like a constipated Disney villain?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    He raps like he's constipated now. I'll never for the life of me get who at the studio thinks this is a good idea. Who says instead of you rapping like you always have which everyone likes, rap in deep voice like a constipated Disney villain?

IMG SRC=http://www.datacomm.ch/virus/sd7.jpg>

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I do not recall this at all

I am saying. I also have no recollection of this time.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

was this made before or after 'grand theft auto: san andreas'? theres something about that cul-de-sac and the way the random violent acts/car screeching/prostitutes/etc unfolds that sorta feels like that game..

b/w:

someone should do that for their video - like a live action GTA:SA complete with the wierd robotic pedestrian motions and random thuggery, comments etc.. if it hasnt happened already i mean.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

was this made before or after 'grand theft auto: san andreas'? theres something about that cul-de-sac and the way the random violent acts/car screeching/prostitutes/etc unfolds that sorta feels like that game..

b/w:

someone should do that for their video - like a live action GTA:SA complete with the wierd robotic pedestrian motions and random thuggery, comments etc.. if it hasnt happened already i mean.

Dave Chappelle did a sketch like that.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I won't be on the haters's side this time.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

was this made before or after 'grand theft auto: san andreas'?

before.

Xzibit had joints: The Foundation, Eyes May Shine, Paparazzi, Three Card Molly, etc. His album was similar to Ice Cube's first album in the sense that he had some East Coast sounding beats but a real West Coast perspective.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Xzibit had joints: The Foundation, Eyes May Shine, Paparazzi, Three Card Molly, etc. His album was similar to Ice Cube's first album in the sense that he had some East Coast sounding beats but a real West Coast perspective.

Yep, and speaking of Cube, didn't Sir Jinx produce this?

that video was the shit

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    didn't Sir Jinx produce this?

Jesse West did the beat, Sir Jinx executive produced the album.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jesse+West

Dude had a storied career - he also produced Genius "Come Do Me," Mary J "What's the 411? Remix" and KRS "Step Into A World (Rapture's Delite"

Xzibit had joints

I dunno. as far as Tash-and-J-Ro-drinking-buddies went, I guess he was not totally embarrassing on the mic. but he never should have made an album.

for real he was much better suited to the irreverant mindless entertainment of Pimp My Ride than anything else.

that said, the above video is a dope one. the whole "one take stroll through the hood with background antics" is a cool concept. but did anyone else notice that there is actually one obvious camera edit. (in reality, there are probably many edits, but it looks pretty damn convincing until that one cut where they basically got lazy and in so doing tossed out the only cool thing about this video).

there is, however, a Ras Kass cameo in the liquor store, so I guess you can cross that gerbil of the video christmas list.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    When at the speed of life came out we used to bump that shit daily for months. Reminds me of summers skating and smokin weed.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    That's Stezo with the red hat driving the car right after the Flavor Flav/Alkaholiks cameo.
    I forgot about this.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hell yea. Xzibit bitch.

• sergserg 682 Posts

Xzibit had joints

I dunno. as far as Tash-and-J-Ro-drinking-buddies went, I guess he was not totally embarrassing on the mic. but he never should have made an album.

dude you're talking out your ass on that one. Speed Of Life is a dope ass record that gets slept to much. It deserves a lot more props than it gets. 40 days wasn't as good but did have some jams. Everything after that did suck though.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    His first two albums are as good as pretty much anything that came out during those years. I don't think I've heard a full album of his after 40 Dayz, but he had a nice little run.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

Xzibit had joints

dude you're talking out your ass on that one. Speed Of Life is a dope ass record that gets slept to much. It deserves a lot more props than it gets.

agreeded. i gotta get up in 4 hours. i'm tripping. san francisco life is nothing nice. the weekend though. that's what's really up.

Xzibit had joints

dude you're talking out your ass on that one. Speed Of Life is a dope ass record that gets slept to much. It deserves a lot more props than it gets. 40 days wasn't as good but did have some jams. Everything after that did suck though.

no my friend you're talking out of my ass.

yes I can confirm that that just occured.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Xzibit had joints

no my friend you're talking out of my ass.

He never put out any classic material but these albums were pretty dope and sound pretty good in 2007.

You disagree with this?

He never put out any classic material but these the first of the two albums was pretty dope not totally unlistenable and sounded pretty good in 2007 1997.

^^^^I agree with this

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

He never put out any classic material but these the first of the two albums was pretty dope not totally unlistenable and sounded pretty good in 2007 1997.

^^^^I agree with this

For once, you've got something rap-related right.

I guess I'm just salty that the dudes that put him on (the Alkaholiks) are some of my favorite rappers ever and then this not-so-talented drinking buddy of theirs that they let get in the booth one day ends up semi-blowing up his own show and Dre collabos while the Liks fade into unwarranted obscurity. yes mad doggie.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I guess I'm just salty that the dudes that put him on (the Alkaholiks) are some of my favorite rappers ever and then this not-so-talented drinking buddy of theirs that they let get in the booth one day ends up semi-blowing up his own show and Dre collabos while the Liks fade into unwarranted obscurity. yes mad doggie.

I agree with this. I'm a much bigger Alkaholiks fan. I hear J-ro is living and making records in Switzerland now.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

[
    Jesse West did the beat, Sir Jinx executive produced the album.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jesse+West

Dude had a storied career - he also produced Genius "Come Do Me," Mary J "What's the 411? Remix" and KRS "Step Into A World (Rapture's Delite"

AKA 3rd Eye, on Supercat's "Dolly My Baby" remix

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Damn, I thought Xzibit would get a little more love here. He was defiantely on the mic for a good stretch in the late 90s and early 00s.

'At the Speed of Life' is one of the illest intro tracks ever. That beat and his lyrics are ridiculous. That's shit's right up there in the "real talk hall of fame" with classics like O.C.'s "Time's Up" for me.

Some of his best tracks were the non-album joints, too, like 'Year 2000', 'You Better Believe It', etc.

For at least the first half of his career, dude was actually putting his pain into words and painting visuals more than he was talking about bitches and pimping rides.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Three Card Molly.

This is still one of my favourite rap songs of the last ten years.