"I celebrate the entire catalog"

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Led Zeplin

It kills me that nobody who has name-checked Led Zeppelin has spelled their name correctly. Can you truly celebrate their entire catalog without even knowing how to spell their name?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Seriously, with people listing like 20 artists who they claim to celebrate the entire catalogue of,

But I will list one:

FUNKADELIC

Not only do I celebrate their ENTIRE catalogue, but their albums are all killer from beginning to end. I regularly throw on their records and listen to them all the way through because they are simply amazing peices of music, witt, political comentary and George was a damn genius.

End rant.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    Eddie Kendricks

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts

Led Zeplin

It kills me that nobody who has name-checked Led Zeppelin has spelled their name correctly. Can you truly celebrate their entire catalog without even knowing how to spell their name?

Riddle me this: if you don't ace your hard-rock spelling bee, can you truly appreciate John Bonham's pounding drums, Jimmy Pages' shredding guitar, Robert Plants' not so veiled references to anal sex, and John Paul Jone's funky bass lines?

The answer is yes my friend.

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    [sarcasm]I'm going to get lots of cosigns on this one I'm sure [/sarcasm]... Will Oldham.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    sweet honey in the rock

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    i'll throw a couple euro dudes in the mix

piero umiliani

he has a few disco terds but pretty much everything he did was solid (or everything i've heard at least).

ennio morricone.

okay his later stuff is a little, um, sentimental, but he has a broad range of styles covered from avant garde, bossa nova, soundtracks, even some tacky funk for good measure.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The Eagles
    The Free Design
    The Beastie Boys
    People Under The Stairs
    Abba
    ATCQ

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I demand the return of the funk cannon graemlin.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    The first two bands that came to mind happened to be rock:

Fugazi
    Sonic Youth

I mentioned this thread to a friend last night and he immediately named the same two bands.

Others:

Can
    James Brown
    Fela (though some of the Egypt 80 stuff rather weak relatively speaking)
    Zeppelin
    Marvin Gaye

Led Zeplin

Riddle me this: if you don't ace your hard-rock spelling bee, can you truly appreciate John Bonham's pounding drums, Jimmy Pages' shredding guitar, Robert Plants' not so veiled references to anal sex, and John Paul Jone's funky bass lines?

Sure you can. But if you've listened to enough Zep to celebrate their entire catalog (which would, logically, mean listening to their entire catalog, probably several times), one would think you've also spent considerable time with the album sleeves in your hands, in which case, it would be hard to explain why you couldn't spell the two words that appear on those sleeves.

But hey, maybe people don't actually look at the album covers. I do.

And please to elaborate on the anal sex references. I believe I may have missed those.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    love. i like pretty much all of there back catalog. false start is a bit lame and so is the one with "be thankfull for what you got". although i do like that track.

funkadelic. even though im not as keen on some of there later lps. there whole westbound lp's do it for me.

m.f. doom is yet to slip in my opinion.

axelrod. he is some one i find it hard to tire of.

free design. i aint heard anything i can't listen to by them.

left banke. fair enough they only did two lps but they were pretty faultless.

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Radiohead - Even their weird shit is interesting
    The White Stripes - Something I can always rock out to. The new Icky Thump is HEAVY, in a good way
    Ghostface - been mentioned before, but the epitome of hip hop consistency
    Isaac Hayes - Even his not-so-good is better then most
    Solomon Burke - I can dig his newer stuff.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Emitt Rhodes
    Lucinda Williams
    Nick Drake
    Cormega
    Otis Redding
    Hank Williams
    Nina Simone
    Prince
    Faust

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

One Way

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
    Ditto on De La Soul: In my opinion, they have survived every freakin' fad and fashion in Hiphop. Their shit is quality through and through. Every album is . Plus, plus, they put on one hell of a show.

EW&F- Sorry guys, I even like their disco days (in which is when I first heard about them growing up. Eventually, I got a late pass to dig into back into their discography)

Kool & The Gang- Again, same thing- first heard Ladies Night and liked them ever since. Went back and heard Summer Madness and it was for surely over. After that, dug deeper to find shit.

off the head folks...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Ann-Margret: Country to pop to psych to disco, her voice is a winner
    Charles Mingus: One of the most consistent, versatile jazz musicians. I love upright bass.
    Barry White and the Love Unlimited Orchestra

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts

Led Zeplin

Sure you can. But if you've listened to enough Zep to celebrate their entire catalog (which would, logically, mean listening to their entire catalog, probably several times), one would think you've also spent considerable time with the album sleeves in your hands, in which case, it would be hard to explain why you couldn't spell the two words that appear on those sleeves.

But hey, maybe people don't actually look at the album covers. I do.

And please to elaborate on the anal sex references. I believe I may have missed those.

you're point is a valid one. Indeed, I'm not the biggest Led Zep fan there is and it has been a while since I pulled out an album and examined it. But I haven't heard an album of theirs that I haven't enjoyed.

The anal sex reference I was referring to is on "Whole Lotta Love." He mentions "giving every inch of my love" - obviously talking about his dick. Then later says "I want to be your back door man" - you can interpret this in several ways I guess....

Then later says "I want to be your back door man" - you can interpret this in several ways I guess....

Aw, man that's funny. I never thought of it that way.

A "Back Door Man" is an old term for a guy who's screwing your wife on the side. It comes from the idea that they come and go by the back door so as not to be observed. There's another Zep line from "Since I've Been Loving You" that references this: "I open my front door, hear my back door slam, You must have one of them new fangled back door man." I actually don't think that's exactly how it goes, but I copied it from a lyric site. Anyway, the gist is the same.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

Does that mean that you actually like this album?:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    sweet honey in the rock

• Curtis Mayfield
    Rasan Roland Kirk
    Yusef Lateef
    Yann Tiersen
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor (and all their side projects/groups)
    Boogie Down Productions

ENTIRE......?

YACHT SOUL????

• igboigbo 44 Posts

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Eric Dolphy (one of the most prolific, very short lived music career/life)

Ornette Coleman (he has some stuff that's a little out there for me, but nothing I can say is striaght up dookie)

Charles Mingus (duh)

Cannonball Adderley (I'm assuming, he has so many albums I've never heard, but out of the 30 or so I have heard, I have been able to enjoy them all)

Miles Davis (i'm not mad at water babies and on the corner like most people are, I'd say at least 95% of his catalog was good)

Joe Henderson (haven't heard them all, but please point me to a shitty joe henderson album)

Clifford Brown (short music career/life, but everything he did was great)

• souldropsouldrop 40 Posts
    Polly Jean Harvey

JOY DIVISION

Rosanne Cash

Fleetwood Mac

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I may be too critical a dude to ride for anyone's entire catalog. Those who I come closest on are as follows:

ramsey l.
    yusuf l.
    ray barretto
    beatles
    impressions
    de la
    ghostface
    pavement (and that's as far as i go; their last album only gets celebrated for two tracks.)

seriously, its tough to say you can ride for someone 100%...Every artist makes some clunkers. It is part of the process.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    pavement

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

And that round of posts will be followed by "I celebrate the entire catalog" (which is used so often it oughta be an emoticon by now).

There is a .gif that some people use and it's my favorite .gif/graemlin on this board. It has the dude from "Office Space".

John Cage is the only person who I've never gotten rid of anything by.

Ornette Colman would be second... I'll ride for basically everything up till the 80's with him.

As for pop groups who have more than 3-5 albums, I celebrate pretty much all of the Beach Boys albums up till about 1977. They best both the Beatles and Dylan for lengthiest creative streaks as far as I'm concerned. But I can generally find something to dislike about most artists catalogs. It's called BEING DISCRIMINATING.