"I celebrate the entire catalog"

Comments

• PunditPundit 438 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    But I can generally find something to dislike about most artists catalogs. It's called BEING DISCRIMINATING.

Well, it's like I implied at the top of the thread, there are some artists who I feel have consistent catalogs DESPITE A FEW RANDOM OFF-DAYS. So I can forgive James Brown for those dull organ albums he did for Smash (who did he think he was, Dave "Baby" Cortez?).

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    But I can generally find something to dislike about most artists catalogs. It's called BEING DISCRIMINATING.

Well, it's like I implied at the top of the thread, there are some artists who I feel have consistent catalogs DESPITE A FEW RANDOM OFF-DAYS. So I can forgive James Brown for those dull organ albums he did for Smash (who did he think he was, Dave "Baby" Cortez?).

I mean, even a lot of groups/artists that I consider my absolute favorites I don't own/want to own even half of their records. James Brown is a good example. I would agree that he's one of the greatest most prolific artists in modern times, but there's no way I'm going to own more that a quarter of his records TOPS. He made a ton of totally mediocre filler garbage.... and from about 1974/5 on he just totally falls off. These are more than "A FEW RANDOM OFF-DAYS" in my opinion.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    James Brown is a good example. I would agree that he's one of the greatest most prolific artists in modern times, but there's no way I'm going to own more that a quarter of his records TOPS. He made a ton of totally mediocre filler garbage.... and from about 1974/5 on he just totally falls off. These are more than "A FEW RANDOM OFF-DAYS" in my opinion.

Some of his late 70s LPs are GREAT, there's even an indie one from the early 80s thats good...

His clunkers are so few and his successes so many (and varied) that I wouldn't hestitate to say "I celebrate his entire catalog"

Cosign w/you on the Beach Boys though... I find something to celebrate on all of their LPs up through the mid-70s

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    His clunkers are so few and his successes so many (and varied) that I wouldn't hestitate to say "I celebrate his entire catalog"

While "clunkers" may be too strong a term, I find a lot of his stuff to be kinda overly milking one good idea... fortunately the man had good ideas more often than most, but still, all of his music is not consistently GREAT... this is very apparent to me when playing most of his lp's. Most of them are not solid.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

ENTIRE......?

YACHT SOUL????

Hahaha! Didn't the criteria allow for a couple of clunkers, though? I mean, the Clash's "Sandinista" would make a great single album, after all. That said, I like "Smooth Sailin'", although the preceding album, "Masterpiece", is my favourite late-period Isleys joint. The version of Phil Collins' "If Leaving Me Is Easy" on that is a real throwback to the soft-rock covers of the "3+3" era. Where's the "grown and sexy" graemlin when you need one?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Does that mean that you actually like this album?:

"This Is England" is great. That aside, it's the only bad record they ever made.

James Brown is a good example. I would agree that he's one of the greatest most prolific artists in modern times, but there's no way I'm going to own more that a quarter of his records TOPS. He made a ton of totally mediocre filler garbage.... and from about 1974/5 on he just totally falls off. These are more than "A FEW RANDOM OFF-DAYS" in my opinion.

Some of his late 70s LPs are GREAT, there's even an indie one from the early 80s thats good...

And even when he DID make a clunker, he fucked up beautifully. The Take A Look At Those Cakes LP is SO backasswards, it's almost a classic for that reason.

• Honorable mentions (not every album, but close):

Fela Kuti

I'm sure there are others I'm fogetting...

Seems like if you like one Fela you pretty much like them all- what fela is considerable different or less listenable?

(the koola stuff and london years years are the only shit I could even think of that seems different at all)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

YACHT SOUL????

That said, I like "Smooth Sailin'", although the preceding album, "Masterpiece", is my favourite late-period Isleys joint. The version of Phil Collins' "If Leaving Me Is Easy" on that is a real throwback to the soft-rock covers of the "3+3" era. Where's the "grown and sexy" graemlin when you need one?
    "If Leaving Me Is Easy"............

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I can't believe I didn't jump in on this thread. Here are some, off-the-dome:

-Alice Coltrane.
    -Joni Mitchell.
    -Steely Dan (yeah, I said it!).
    -The Mighty Clouds of Joy.
    -Crosby, Still, Nash, & Young.
    -Al Green.
    -The Isley Brothers.
    -John Coltrane (even "Sunship").
    -Bob Marley & the Wailers.
    -The Police.
    -Boogie Down Productions.
    -Gangstarr.
    -EPMD.
    -Ghostface.
    -Miles Davis (except really late in his career).
    -Herbie Hancock.
    -Jimi Hendrix.
    -The Beatles.
    -Sade.
    -Mint Condition.
    -Mahalia Jackson.
    -The Gospel Caravans.
    -Muddy Waters.
    -Barry White.
    -Quincy Jones.
    -Donny Hathaway.
    -Earth, Wind, & Fire.
    -Stevie Wonder.
    -Peter Tosh.
    -Led Zeppelin.
    -Soft Machine.
    -Me'Shell Ndegeocello.
    -The Swan Silvertones.
    -The Williams Brothers.
    -Walter Hawkins & the Love Alive Choir.
    -Fred Hammond/Commissioned.
    -The Rolling Stones (I'm a fan, man).
    -Simon & Garfunkel.
    -War.
    -Parliament/Funkadelic.
    -The Ohio Players.
    -Zapp.
    -Leroy Hutson.
    -Curtis Mayfield.
    -Bill Withers.
    -Rickie Lee Jones.
    -Swing Out Sister (What!).
    -Weather Report.
    -Michael Franks.
    -Cannonball Adderley Quintet.

This is all I can think of for now. More to follow.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    The Beatles
    Beck
    Neil Young
    Pink Floyd
    Prince
    Melvins
    Miles Davis
    John Coltrane
    Charles Mingus
    Herbie Hancock
    Thelonious Monk
    Sun Ra
    Muddy Waters
    Howlin' Wolf
    Ravi Shankar
    Frank Zappa
    Chemical Brothers
    Led Zeppelin
    The Mummies
    New Bomb Turks
    Me'Shell NdegeOcello
    De La Soul
    Blueprint
    The Roots
    Common
    Kool Keith
    Coldcut
    Sunday Manoa
    Hui Ohana
    Gabby Pahinui
    Genoa Keawe

Blind Faith

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    entire output (but many had short careers)[/b]:

Can
    Alice Coltrane
    Otis Redding
    This Heat
    James Carr
    Dog Faced Hermans
    Talking Heads
    Sam Cooke
    Slits
    Raincoats
    Pixies
    Faust
    Beatles
    John Lennon
    The Ex
    Sun Ra
    Boredoms
    Nation of Ulysses
    Fela
    Pere Ubu (first incarnation)
    Ghost
    Mutantes
    The Coup
    Rogerio Duprat
    Mr. Bungle*

pretending the better part of the 80s didn't happen[/b]:
    Neil Young
    Bob Dylan
    Kinks

honorable mention[/b]:
    Al Green (I have one or two of his gospel records but I can't front like I need more than that)
    Yoko Ono (haven't heard everything -- and have avoided some)

only fallen off once or twice, but still plenty of time to disappoint us[/b]:
    De La Soul
    Wu-Tang
    Radiohead
    Gang Starr
    Sonic Youth
    MF Doom
    Jedi Mind Tricks*

*for different reasons, I anticipate these will be controversial choices

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    arthur verocai....... ha!

Yoko Ono (haven't heard everything

And you don't need to have heard everything - just enuff to be familiar (see first post).

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Yoko Ono (haven't heard everything

And you don't need to have heard everything - just enuff to be familiar (see first post).

Yeah, I read the intro to this thread. I've avoided a few entire periods of her career, so I can't represent her fully per this thread's criteria.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Lightnin' Hopkins
    Fela Kuti
    Boogaloo Joe Jones

And I dare add Kashmere Stage Band

• MALE

sam cooke
    otis redding
    smokey robinson
    stevie wonder
    wilson pickett
    michael jackson
    james brown
    the isley brothers
    prince

FEMALE

aretha franklin
    tina turner
    roberta flack
    nina simone
    etta james
    shirley bassey
    ella fitzgerlad

Just a few artists who's entire catalog from start to finish is a musical blessing.

• Gil Scott Heron...obviously

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    some liars in this threadb,121b,121i love sun ra but no way does he deserve a mentionb,121b,121how many dudes are really repping for miles davis in his covering-michael-jackson-songs period?

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121some liars in this thread
    b,121
    b,121i love sun ra but no way does he deserve a mention
    b,121
    b,121how many dudes are really repping for miles davis in his covering-michael-jackson-songs period?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 It doesn't have to be every last album these artists ever recorded - a few off-days are okay - but at least most of them.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

• no time to read the whole thread...but lintonkwesijohnson released a extrasolid lp back in the 90s..."more time"

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121some liars in this thread
    b,121
    b,121i love sun ra but no way does he deserve a mention
    b,121
    b,121how many dudes are really repping for miles davis in his covering-michael-jackson-songs period?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Human Nature?

• img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2889014078_dea20e844c_o.jpg"11b,121b,121I don't think anyone's mentioned this man yet, every single LP he did had some gold in it.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121damn really though? I'd say their bad output at this point is (almost) greater in quantity than their heat. so much heat early on, so much more crap later in the game. the eddie murphies of this.

The Jackson 5ive/The Jacksons.b,121b,121I ride hard for all their shit excluding 2500 Jackson Street.b,121b,121Even the weird vault shit like Joyful Jukebox Music & Boogie.

• Doorsb,121Bowieb,121Del La Soulb,121Sound Gardenb,121Peter Gabrielb,121Tanahill Weaversb,121Beatlesb,121Beastie Boysb,121Beckb,121Garbageb,121Bob Marley & The Wailersb,121Warb,121Chuck Berryb,121Ray Charlesb,121Johnny Cashb,121Pixiesb,121Mark Laneganb,121Muddy Watersb,121Josh Whiteb,121Leadbelly

• Stereolabb,121Bjorkb,121Nirvanab,121Jimib,121Celebrationb,121liarsb,121b,121and plenty of1others already posted