Music you liked before becoming a snob...

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    my first record I bought with my own money:

my first records (KISS ALIVE II and a few k-tel comps were given to me)

The two big songs on the radio 'round these parts at this time were "Destroyer" form LP pictured above and Joan Jett "I Love Rock N Roll"...I only had enough money for one record, so I had to pick. I dont remember why I picked the Kinks, but I stand by my choice.

I beg to differ "I love Rock n' Roll" eats Give the People's shorts. The title track is a certified classic, plus Crimson and Clover. Joan is the truth.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I beg to differ "I love Rock n' Roll" eats Give the People's shorts. The title track is a certified classic, plus Crimson and Clover. Joan is the truth.

The Joan Jett is definitely cool, but that
    Kinks record is no slouch. Solid album and
    has a couple of total classics, "Better Things"
    is solid gold and "Destroyer" is the best all-out
    rocker they did in 2 decades.

A kid from my city was decapitated riding atop a subway
    train coming home from the Kinks concert on that tour -
    somehow it was seen as a reason to try to ban concerts
    at the Garden, as if it were the fault of the Kinks.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    My freshman year dorm-mate was into trance. I got into it for about a whole year. Went to one rave. This was sort of a phenomenon at all colleges around 2000.

2nd year of college:

And then I ran into Raj's auction. And everything since then has been an extension of all things snob-related.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    WTF...

Ha ha I was going to post this:

But then I realised it was supposed to be albums you didn't like anymore.

When I was real young this album was my god:

I had the pencil case set to go with it and everything.

As i got older a lot of my records looked like this:

etc etc. Actually I played some of my old d&b the other day and still thoroughly enjoyed. I think I'm entering my second teenage angst period.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Fuck it, I still listen to this one, first album I ever bought:

Then I got into this (still dope in a major way):

But it was when I heard this that everything changed:

I know that's played out and a lot of people have gotten into hip-hop through that record and done some dumb shit, but I love that record independent of any of the BS that surrounds it. When I heard it I didn't even understand that it was all samples, I barely knew how sampling worked and had just scratched the surface of hip-hop beyond KMEL circa 1999. That one record sent me on a whole direction, it's the only record I can truly say ever changed my life.

• Wow. Alice In Chains is still one of my favorite bands. great music.
    and i also liked the stone temple pilots in high school.

one of my most hated bands in high school: nirvana
    i could neither stand the image nor the music. i was almost the only kid at my age that didn't buy the nevermind cd.

my first cassette wasn't mj's thriller. it was bad.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Solid classic in my books.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Actually, I played some of my old d&b the other day and still thoroughly enjoyed.

this one was really influential for me

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

and of course the Gun Club... must have seen them life at least a dozen times

almost forgot these two:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

and of course the Gun Club... must have seen them life at least a dozen times

almost forgot these two:

I'll still listen to those Birthday Party, Nick Cave and Gun Club albums, although Suicide is pretty hard to listen to for me these days.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Man, I was into all that NOFX (whom I still like), Green Day (who was the first band that I got really salty to see on MTV in 7th grade on some "THEY SOLD OUT!" shit), proto-pop-punk shit.

My first musical shopping experience was buying three tapes:

Run DMC "Tougher Than Leather"
    Beastie Boys "License to Ill"
    The Sex Pistols "Nevermind the Bollocks"

This isn't because I had great taste, it's becuase I was a skatebaorder and I read some interview where dude name dropped that shit so I went and copped it.

After that, this is what happened to me:

Still an awesome album. I had a poster of this shit. I wish I still had it.

"BAD MEDICINE" WAS MY SHIT! I also had a poster of this shit on my wall.

Looking back, it's kind've scary that I thought C.C. Deville was so damn cool, but the titties in the j-card of the tape was pretty awesome. John Lucero's appearance (also the first skatebaord I owned) at the beginning of the "Your Momma Don't Dance (And Your Daddy Don't Rock & Roll)" video had me convinced I was on the right track with my musical tastes.

Jesus. I used to love this shit. Look at that cover. My god.

Skip ahead a few years and I'm really into Public Enemy and Ice T and Ice Cube and then, kind've out of the blue, I went and got into Alternative shit like Pearl Jam and Nirvana and blah blah blah and got back into rap music through "Illmatic" and "Bizarre Ride."

First CD I bought was Tony Tone Toni's "Feels Good" LP.

Awesomest thread ever.

-e

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I'll still listen to those Birthday Party, Nick Cave and Gun Club albums, although Suicide is pretty hard to listen to for me these days.
    Actually, all the above records were amongst the few that I brought to Africa with me... I'm still really enjoy listening to Suicide and even to Alan Vega's first three solo LPs, (I know that's kinda strange...)

Actually, all the above records were amongst the few that I brought to Africa with me... I'm still really enjoy listening to Suicide and even to Alan Vega's first three solo LPs, (I know that's kinda strange...)

I haven't heard the solo stuff. Worth checking out? And consider this - I find Suicide harder to listen to these days because of the harrowing, almost paranoid emotions the music evokes. It's like taking acid as an adult. Too much real-world negativity to really enjoy it anymore.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I haven't heard the solo stuff. Worth checking out? And consider this - I find Suicide harder to listen to these days because of the harrowing, almost paranoid emotions the music evokes. It's like taking acid as an adult. Too much real-world negativity to really enjoy it anymore.

Alan Vega has always been a hero for me...
    his first three solo LPs were an attempt to become a rock star.
    I like his first (collision drive) best.
    He was great live during this phase, acting all like a junkie disco version of elvis... I even saw him take the chewing gum out of a girls mouth and chew it himself obviously taking great joy in it.

his first three solo LPs were an attempt to become a rock star.
    I like his first (collision drive) best.
    He was great live during this phase, acting all like a junkie disco version of elvis... I even saw him take the chewing gum out of a girls mouth and chew it himself obviously taking great joy in it.

That sounds like a yes. Collision Drive it is.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Great LP. I still drag this out regular-like.

• oh god

i applaud your bravery, sir.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I've always been a little snobby. I was listening to Circle Jerks and Suicidal when a lot of this junk was comming out. 80's rock was a crap fest. But really, a lot of the stuff being posted is just dated it's wasn't that bad at the time. Today everybody has access to everything, so it's easy to say "look at the crap we used to listen to" but if you lived in most rural states you really couldn't get more that what was in stores, and the occasional tenth generation 7 Seconds tape that came through town.

And seriously, can you really give me something wrong with Styx???? UFO Wizzard Rock!!!!!!!!!!!! Sign me up!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

A friend of mine in high school copped this when it came out and showed it to me. she said it was musically alright (she was into tepid 90's alt-rock) but she also made a point to note that two of the guys in the group were named Chad. That told me all I needed to know.

Also, i can't believe someone else was fucking with that California Raisins tape. I thought i was the only one!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Yes. That just happened.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

my first records (KISS ALIVE II and a few k-tel comps were given to me)

The two big songs on the radio 'round these parts at this time were "Destroyer" form LP pictured above and Joan Jett "I Love Rock N Roll"...I only had enough money for one record, so I had to pick. I dont remember why I picked the Kinks, but I stand by my choice.

Plaese to not be embarrassed about that Kinks records. Destroyer was received as a monster track in New Orleans. I can recall the exact time when it and I Love Rock-n-Roll were the jams at Skate Town on the West Bank. But the album, which I bought in '82 at an army px in Panama, also has Predictable, Around the Dial, and Killer's Eyes...all good tracks.

Yes. That just happened.

That album is definitely still good.

Dig deeper.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I was a bigger snob then than I am now - I used to be much more closed-minded and uppity about what I liked / thought was good.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" was my jam.

haha....i thought i was hella sensitive at age 8.

my first album:

i really think that computer animation video screwed up their demographic, cuz all the 6-11 yr olds were feeling that song.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Yes. That just happened.

Dig deeper.

Oh.. You're talking about albums that don't hold up well to snobs.

Fuck.

So many more....

Yes. That just happened.

Dig deeper.

Fuck.

So many more....

Yes, that's more like it.

For years, I always teased Pearl Jam fans that they might as well be listening to Tesla.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Pre-snobbery:

Post-snobbery:

SG

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

This was my first LP. My mom gave it to me when I was like 4. The A side still gets regular plays at my house.( not the one my mom gave me, it was thrashed when I first tried scratching.( I thought the needle was supposed to move laterally across the grooves!!! I wondered why it sounded like shit.))

Used to listen to these guys all the time. I still like the lyrics, but the sound quallity is unbearable. The tinny guitar tones stab my ears. I love some of Jello's spoke werd shit though.

• Yes. That just happened.

Dig deeper.

Fuck.

So many more....

i had the first Badlands cassette.

Jake E. Lee