Raw Bassists-Who Are Your Cats???

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Hey,That previous Funkadelic "S/T" thread made me go listen to it (and "Free Your Mind, Your Ass Will Follow") last night. I gotta say, I was really feelin' Billy "Bass" Nelson's work. His playing is far from technically superior, but fit in nice with the sound of the band. Another one, off the head, is Marshall Jones work on "First Impressions" (flat the whole LP, but it fit somehow). Another guy I'll big up is Louie Spears, for his performance on the "Free Speech" LP by Eddie Harris. Who are some bass players whose raw style ya'll felt on an LP(s)?Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    Paul Jackson is somewhat overlooked... i especially dig his basslines on Herbie Hancock's "Thrust" and "Headhunters", which are both pretty common jazz albums that everyone has [or should have] in their collections.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Ive should give thrust and headhunters a listen. Those 2 have been collecting some dust.

on a bass side note, I hear primus for the first time the other day and i never knew people dug so much on slap bass junk. maybe dude is musically tallented but i cant get past the cheesy sound of it.

• Whoever that is playing bass on "Songs of Experience". Carol Kaye?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Holger Czukay forever.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Buster Williams

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Guys,

Keep in mind, we're talking about those raw bass-playin' cats, not viruoso, technically superior cats ala Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, Ron Carter, Miroslav Vitous, etc. I'm referring to those gut-bucket, not-so-perfect cats that get in where they fit in when playing the bass on the LP. That's why I named the guys that I did. Keep addin' on, I'm curious.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• MICHAEL "SLINGSHOT" HENDERSON.

"New York Girl" and "Helen Butte/Mr. Freedom X" from Davis's "On the Corner."

"Looking up to You" on his own.

"Goin' Places," however...

EDIT: Sorry, that would be Michaeal Wycoff. Whoever's putting in work on the bass on that song is so necessary, though!

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    MICHAEL "BANANA HAMMOCK" HENDERSON.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    What could be romantic to Mike Watt?

• Steve Arrington is another baaaaaaaaad bassist! I can usually tell an Arrington jam before the vocals begin.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Well, no one else is gonna mention Eddie Shaw, so I will right now (he's the short one).

A sidebar, but related: The new Dyke & The Blazers comp (BGP's We Got More Soul) has some of the best remastered sound I've ever heard on a comp. Almost SACD-like. Arlester Christian's bass is nice and clear and almost as raw as his voice on tracks like You Are My Sunshine. It's like he's alive again and standing next to you in your living room. Highly recommended, especially for cats that have everthing Dyke.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Is this James Jamerson? Dude was nuttin' nice. Hey, who played bass on those Brunswick sweet soul LPs? Was it Eldee Young (RIP)? If so, I'll add him to my list. That bassline on Barbara Acklin's "Please Sunrise" is

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Also, definitely Bill Laswell.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Whoever that is playing bass on "Songs of Experience". Carol Kaye?

Yup, she played on songs of experience. She is one of favorites too, I went as far as to buy the same bass she uses so I could sound like her...

To add to the thread I would put the bassist from boscoe. I was blown away by some of the bass on that record, really different funky bass on there.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    MICHAEL "BANANA HAMMOCK" HENDERSON.

Phil Morrison
    Aston "Family Man" Barrett
    jaco
    ron carter
    billy cox

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Steve Scipio of Cymande.

• larry graham (sly stone era): esp. that last song on riot where he really digs in super deep and dirty

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    BERNARD WRIGHT
    Marcus Miller

Steve Scipio of Cymande.

Yeah, Steve definitely comes grimy with his. I disagree with Marcus Miller, 'Nard, Michael Henderson, and Jaco as they are too sharp to be considered . That's why I've yet to mention Louis Johnson and Stanley Clarke, as these guys are too technically skilled. I'm talking about grimy bassists that aren't so "technically sound," but contribute well to the music (ala Billy "Bass" Nelson). Dude can't fuck with any of the cats I named above, but he did his thang with Funkadelic cause his rawness fit their groove.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Michael Clay from the Fabulous Souls.

That bassline in "Take Me" is

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Is this James Jamerson? Dude was nuttin' nice.

Yes.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    James Alexander
    Paul Spencer Denman

Brick:
    Regi Hargis Hickman (vocals / guitar / bass)
    Ray Ransom (lead vocals / bass / keyboards / percussion)

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    60'S ROCK BLOCK!

John McVie of Fleetwood Mac

John Entwhistle of the Who

Jack Bruce of Cream (great voice too!)

Noel Redding

Bill Wyman of the stones

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• Oooooo, a Lemmy has been thrown down! That'll be hard to top.

• the guy from fugazi...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

^^^The guy who we think of as the MGs bassist.

Lewie Steinberg was the bassist on the 1st 2 lps. I don't know if he was also a session bassist at the time. No idea what happened to him. Any way those 2 cats were raw, on point, and bringing it on all those Stax singles. Best I know they were the only 2 bass players in the Stax studio, though I am sure that Cropper or Jones could have picked up the bass and played it if those cats were out of the room.

Leroy Hodges played bass on the Hi sides; Al Green, Ann Pebbels, Syl Johnson...

I'll leave jazz guys out since I can't think of any I would call raw.

Since I'm not a big fan or rock music not many of those guys are coming to mind. I do think that Paul's bass playing is instrumentally one of the best things about the Beatles. (The best thing about the Beatles is their song writing, thinks I. The second best thing about the Beatles is the production, me thinks.)

Not to criticize anyone's choices, but as a non-rock fan, I have not found the intrigue with Noel Reddings bass playing. I love those first 2 studio lps, but when I try to concentrate on the drums or bass I don't find much to like.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Not to criticize anyone's choices, but as a non-rock fan, I have not found the intrigue with Noel Reddings bass playing. I love those first 2 studio lps, but when I try to concentrate on the drums or bass I don't find much to like.

3rd Stone From The Sun?