Raw Bassists-Who Are Your Cats???

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Not to criticize anyone's choices, but as a non-rock fan, I have not found the intrigue with Noel Reddings bass playing. I love those first 2 studio lps, but when I try to concentrate on the drums or bass I don't find much to like.

3rd Stone From The Sun?

Should I listen to the bass on that?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Not to criticize anyone's choices, but as a non-rock fan, I have not found the intrigue with Noel Reddings bass playing. I love those first 2 studio lps, but when I try to concentrate on the drums or bass I don't find much to like.

3rd Stone From The Sun?

Yeah, and give me yay or nay. I think Redding holds it down on that track.
    He's a guitarist that was moved to Bass for JHExP.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

3rd Stone From The Sun?

Yeah, and give me yay or nay. I think Redding holds it down on that track.
    He's a guitarist that was moved to Bass for JHExP.

I dont have a copy here, but I will keep my ears open.

• Jamerson, of course. This clip never ceases to blow my mind--

In addition, George Porter Jr. (meters), Bobby Vega (Sly after Larry Graham split)

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Is this James Jamerson? Dude was nuttin' nice.

Yes.

One thing I've always admired about Jamerson's basslines- aside from just being brilliant- is how rewarding and fun they are to play, at least for a little dude like me. Sometimes basslines that sound good can be hard as fuck to pull off, and that extra fingerwork can pull you out of the musical experience, but Motown shit just FEELS right, and that leaves you free to concetrate on just putting your soul into it.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Who are some bass players whose raw style ya'll felt on an LP(s)?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey, who played bass on those Brunswick sweet soul LPs? Was it Eldee Young (RIP)? If so, I'll add him to my list. That bassline on Barbara Acklin's "Please Sunrise" is

What's the answer to the above question? Anyone?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

^^^The guy who we think of as the MGs bassist.

Lewie Steinberg was the bassist on the 1st 2 lps. I don't know if he was also a session bassist at the time. No idea what happened to him. Any way those 2 cats were raw, on point, and bringing it on all those Stax singles. Best I know they were the only 2 bass players in the Stax studio, though I am sure that Cropper or Jones could have picked up the bass and played it if those cats were out of the room.

Leroy Hodges played bass on the Hi sides; Al Green, Ann Pebbels, Syl Johnson...

I'll leave jazz guys out since I can't think of any I would call raw.

Since I'm not a big fan or rock music not many of those guys are coming to mind. I do think that Paul's bass playing is instrumentally one of the best things about the Beatles. (The best thing about the Beatles is their song writing, thinks I. The second best thing about the Beatles is the production, me thinks.)

there is this homeless dude around town who claims he is Lewis Stienberg's son...he mentions it every time he panhandles. He hangs out around the club(s), so I guess he hopes he is going to find a benevolent music fan with that line.

Paul is totally underrated as a bass player..I suppose it is mainly because it is in the shadow of the songwriting, which is understandable...but Paul invented modern rock bass playing...before Paul rock n roll dudes were just playing rehashed RnB walking lines and playing the root notes..but Paul made it a melodic instrument at the same time maintaining the bottom as a bass player should...he is a bad ass

I think your anyalsis of Noel Redding is apt. The fact he was a (frustrated and jealous) guitar player having to play bass in the Experience made his bass playing underwhelming. But, at the same time it needed to be underwhelming with Jimi on one side of him and Mitch (in my opinion the greatest of all 60s rock drummers) on the other...plus if he decided to stretch out it would just be guitar playing on a bass guitar and not "bass" playing, if you know what I mean. Any marginally talented bass player could have played bass in the Experience and I dont think the records would have been one iota different.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    Jamerson, of course. This clip never ceases to blow my mind--

In addition, George Porter Jr. (meters), Bobby Vega (Sly after Larry Graham split)

wow thanks alot for this!

made my day

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,904 Posts
    The cat from "Slave". Mark Adams.
    http://www.backstage-lounge.com/story.asp?storycode=5670

Norman Watt-Roy from Ian Dury and The Blockheads
    http://philbrodieband.com/muso_norman_watt-roy.htm

Lemmy has been repped.

Anyone know Heaven 17's "Pavement and Penthouse" set? John Wilson is slaying on that set. S-L-A-Y-I-N-G. I seem unable to find out anything about the cat - I am thinking some Sheffield legend?