Imus: The Rap Backlash

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts

where do you think he even concocted the term "nappy headed hoes"?

...he probably heard it on an episode of "girlfriend's"

Are you saying that because that show is about black women they must have said "nappy headed ho" on that show?

i think he should have exercised alittle more tact because of the statute of limitations that white people have to comply with when discussing race issues publically in america..

Is this sarcasm here?

Your posts are looking pretty fucked up.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    and what you just posted will make all the republicans onboard get out the bush. Freedom of speech is a bitch!!!

I can already see what's coming next...This thread is nice actually, you can see who is who easily. I can see who pact like Slavery didn't exist for example...Which is quiet funny. Anyone else defending Freedom of Speech?? Please?

• the world isn't happy and full of fucking roses. people say demeaning things and sometimes they are warranted. i do not see the problem in calling a ho a ho.[/b]

Shit happens, huh? I didn't know that!

You're ignorant.

Please don't have kids.

Yo, drama teacher.

You go in some thread, and you whine because you said you were a drama teacher and then people call you out? asshurt for dayzzzz on that. waaaaaaaambulance, 'how could you bring up my teaching???' when you did it in the first place.

And then, you take some 'Don't have kids,' moral stance on this?

GTFOOHWTBS.

Man...you bug me so much i am about to make you my first 'ignore'. i hope your students have the same good sense.

I'm not the one perpetuating a morally bankrupt stance on things...

Whatever. You won't be missed -- who are you? In fact, you'll probably be on my ignore list before you read this.

• You speak in such absolutist terms...

man, i'd hate to exist in your world. 'morally bankrupt,' because someone used the word 'ho'? fuck that. this is languague. even shakespeare, king of drama, used demeaning terms like shylock. should i just write off 'the merchant of venice,' as worthless because of it? surely it is flawed, but there are many aspects to be learned in there.

should i write off the rap canon as being worthless because there are uses of 'bitch,' and 'ho,' in it? is it morally bankrupt because of a few words?

in your world, the answer might be yes. but, that means you are missing out on a lot...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    can i get some sort of title to go along with my newly found morally bankrupt status?

morally bankrupt=new born christian...am i wrong?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I want this dude to answer my questions.

man, i'd hate to exist in your world. 'morally bankrupt,' because someone used the word 'ho'? fuck that. this is languague. even shakespeare, king of drama, used demeaning terms like shylock. should i just write off 'the merchant of venice,' as worthless because of it? surely it is flawed, but there are many aspects to be learned in there.

should i write off the rap canon as being worthless because there are uses of 'bitch,' and 'ho,' in it? is it morally bankrupt because of a few words?

in your world, the answer might be yes. but, that means you are missing out on a lot...

I was referring to the idea of having no problem calling a ho a ho. Shakespeare and Snoop can call people whatever they want. Am I supposed to condone their usage simply because they have the right to?

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    i think a lot of rap is pretty degrading to women.

is it a reflection of a certain reality or way of thinking ? sure.

i'm not sure how much the music you listen to affects what you think or how you think, but based on my own experience, a lot.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You speak in such absolutist terms...

I was referring to the idea of having no problem calling a ho a ho. Shakespeare and Snoop can call people whatever they want. Am I supposed to condone their usage simply because they have the right to?
    please specify a booboo approved label for promiscuous women formerly known as hos

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    this is languague. even shakespeare, king of drama, used demeaning terms like shylock. should i just write off 'the merchant of venice,' as worthless because of it? surely it is flawed, but there are many aspects to be learned in there.

I knew I said I would stay out of this, but the current term "shylock" actually derives from the Shakespeare character of the same name.

And personally, I usually read "Merchant of Venice" with Shylock as the protagonist. Not that it was meant that way, but Big Willie was very good at realizing that conflict usually arises between two people of conflicting interests, rather than a clash of good and evil.

But that does not detract from your argument - really more of an aside. All told, I concur with most of what you said. I'd say all, but I'm not going to review it all right now, and don't want to get caught ass-out in case you called someone a "nappy headed ho" while I was skimming.

he wont answer day...(props for your last 12" btw).

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what i said was black culture (the way its represented through white entainment and media outlets) is to blame for Imu's overall blahzay blah attitude towards the remark.
    he didnt think it was going to be a big deal when he said it because of the overexposed to the same trite stereotypes of blacks in entertainment...
    lol

please specify a booboo approved label for promiscuous women formerly known as hos

I'm glad you're sticking up for the degradation and objectification of women who are oftentimes victims of sexual or physical abuse. Keep up the good work!

oh damn, he did reply!
    but Day, you knew the answer...LOL!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You speak in such absolutist terms...

I'm glad you're sticking up for the degradation and objectification of women who are oftentimes victims of sexual or physical abuse. Keep up the good work!
    ok, could you please help me come up with two separate labels, one for the hos who are simply hos and the other ones who have head issues? perhaps you could assign it as a homework assignment tomorrow and have a whole crew brainstorm on it

• Why is it my responsibility? It's your music.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    oh damn, he did reply!

Ha, seriously.

This is some thinly veiled racist bullshit if I ever saw it. I'm (gonna try) not to post in here before I type something I'll regret.

• oh damn, he did reply!

Ha, seriously.

This is some thinly veiled racist bullshit if I ever saw it. I'm (gonna try) not to post in here before I type something I'll regret.

Nah, he deserves it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Why is it my responsibility? It's your music.
    come on man. at least meet me halfway.

thats the problem i have most of the time, thats why i always end up with twisted scenarios. Who cares to make sense when you're facing such people.

ok, could you please help me come up with two separate labels, one for the hos who are simply hos and the other ones who have head issues?

I think we can all agree that "slut" and "fucking whackjob" are acceptable terms.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    where do you think he even concocted the term "nappy headed hoes"?
    do u think he was playing crochet 1 day with his friends and came up with that?

he probably heard it on an episode of "girlfriend's"

i think he should have exercised alittle more tact because of the statute of limitations that white people have to comply with when discussing race issues publically in america..
    but im sure he had no idea it was going to be drawn out into such a big deal when he said it.

Again, you and old stinky sneakers need to learn some history.

Black people did not invent racism. Calling Black women whores, and using nappy as a negative comes from White American culture not Black culture. Blacks have been oppressed in this country for centuries by the dominate White culture. It is the dominate White culture that from the earliest days of slavery have stereotyped Blacks as sexual beings. DWC came up with the negative terms used for Blacks like nappyheaded.

I just realized how ridiculus this is. You guys think Blacks and Whites are equal except Blacks just don't know how to act and nothing I say will change you.

what i said was black culture (the way its represented through white entainment and media outlets) is to blame for Imu's overall blahzay blah attitude towards the remark.
    he probably didnt think it was going to be a big deal when he said it because of the overexposure to the same trite stereotypes of blacks in entertainment...

and as far as bringing this back acouple centuries talking about how white people invented racism & whatnot...
    do you think the term "nappy headed hoe" would have been used in the same situation as little ago as the early 1980s?

Sorry I can't understand your point. To blame racism on Black culture makes no sense to me. In fact it sounds racist to me. I can understand you having no historical context, but Imus is older and better educated than you. He knows full well the difference between 2 Black friends insulting each other on a TV show and
    a powerfull DJ attaking teenage girls. I'm sure he did expect the response to be blahzay, because he had a long history of spouting his racist hate.

Yes, I think he would have said racist things about a group of successful Black teens in the news in the 80s. In fact in the 80s powerful White people did say racist things about Blacks all the time. Nappy is not a new world, it is an old word, and it is a White word. He might have said whore instead of ho.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    ok, could you please help me come up with two separate labels, one for the hos who are simply hos and the other ones who have head issues?

I think we can all agree that "slut" and "fucking whackjob" are acceptable terms.

lol i can cosine to that. ho is hereby retired from my vocab.. now comes the hard part: how to tell the sluts from the whackjobs?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i love this "i learned my racism through tv so everyone else must have" shit

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    but i do know alittle about howard stern.
    and howard stern does impressions of black stereotypes & what could be interpreted as racist commentaries on black issues all the time on his show. yet he'd never recieve this same kind of backlash because i guess it's expected of him...

wow you really dont know ANYTHING about howard stern!

lol i can cosine to that. ho is hereby retired from my vocab.. now comes the hard part: how to tell the sluts from the whackjobs?

If I knew that, I'd be selling pamphlets outside Boston clubs for $2 a pop and making a killing.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    i dont think what he even said was said out of racism.
    i think it was said to be a clever ironic remark...

my point is what he said is probably more to blame on the crappy black movies, characters and trite sterotypical charactures we're exposed to over and over again in america than it is to an actual hate of black women.

but again, i don't know much

wow.

so much for thinly veiled.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    i love this "i learned my racism through tv so everyone else must have" shit

I think it's worse than that. I think he is saying that Blacks on tv are acting racists, so if Whites act racists there is nothing wrong with it.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i think you all are getting a bit TOO CAUGHT UP in this discussion...

it's obvious that's something seems to be getting lost in translation.