Ahmad - Back in the Day question

fhillysubtle1fhillysubtle1 355 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone know what break is used in this song?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

here it comes....

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Teddy Pendergrass - "Love TKO"

and I'm not trying to perpetrate the cutesy knee-jerk reply,
    but you could have done a quick search over there:
    http://the-breaks.com/search.php?term=back+in+the+day&type=7

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

OH SHIT, XSCAPE USED THAT TOO IN THAT REMIX OF "WHO CAN I RUN TO"!!! GOOD TIMES!!!

Hot find, man.

• You guys are bugging. Listen to Love TKO, then listen to Back in the Day, the drums are different. And the sample sounds more like Lets do it Again looped if anything.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anyone know what break is used in this song?

• Actually the song everyone is mentioning is a REMIX, the original LP version uses Let's do it Again and a break. If you don't know the break, it's ok, just stroke your e-penis somewhere else.

Actually the song everyone is mentioning is a REMIX, the original LP version uses Let's do it Again and a break. If you don't know the break, it's ok, just stroke your e-penis somewhere else.

You were also not specific in your initial request, so most people would go directly to the hit version, which is the remix. If you are more specific next time, you will get specific answers.

• I'm confident that specific answer is coming. Sure glad I didn't ask the fine folks at The-Breaks

I'm confident that specific answer is coming. Sure glad I didn't ask the fine folks at The-Breaks

Yeah. *PHEW*
    While someone does come with the answer, you can listen to this:
    http://www.djcarolinerocks.com/ohhoney.mp3

• whatever happened to that dude, anyways? Thats the only song I recall ever hearing by the mayne. He was from the Yay Area wasnt he? Somewhere in Cali at least, right?

Speaking of..Souls of Mischief is coming to perform at a WHITER THAN WHITE "concert hall" called the Handlebar here in Greenville, SC. Just take a look at the bar's website to get a feel of what kind of spot it is. If it wasnt for the goddammed stankin' ass hippy hop-keep it realer than real-treehuggin'-freestylin'-"I was a Deadhead and traveled with Phish for 6 years, but now I am a hip hop historian and teach kids about the 4 elements of hiphop" fuckfaces that will be in attendance, I would actually probably go check the Souls out(i never heard of the other groups playing at the show, besides Bukue One..but I only know who that is because of fr8s-not his music). Oh well..sorry Souls, but fuck a hippy liquid dancing and playing bomgo drums at a rap show. Fuuuuuuck that.

whatever happened to that dude, anyways? Thats the only song I recall ever hearing by the mayne. He was from the Yay Area wasnt he? Somewhere in Cali at least, right?

He's in a band now called 4th Avenue Jones (Ahmad is the one looking like he's in shock):

Here's an interview with him from a few years ago:
    http://www.rapzilla.com/rz/content/view/61/45/

whatever happened to that dude, anyways? Thats the only song I recall ever hearing by the mayne. He was from the Yay Area wasnt he? Somewhere in Cali at least, right?

That song was/is wack.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Actually the song everyone is mentioning is a REMIX, the original LP version uses Let's do it Again and a break. If you don't know the break, it's ok, just stroke your e-penis somewhere else.

OK, fair enough, but if you had looked in the search result link I posted, you would have seen:

DelegationPromise of Love: (State 1977)
    * "Oh Honey"
    Ahmad - "Back in the Day"

Pendergrass, TeddyT.P.: (Philidelphia International 1980)
    * "Love T.K.O."

Staple SingersLet's Do it Again: (Curtom 1975)
    * "Let's Do it Again"

Again, I'm not trying to be smug, but most times you can find those more obvious sample sources by doing a quick search on the-breaks. And you could have made your question more specific by mentioning that you weren't asking about the remix version (which is the only one I've heard, apparently).

On the subject of what happened to Ahmad, the last I heard from him is this 12" I've got with him, Aceyalone (yes, P.Blowed alert) and Pep Love under the common AKA Good Brothers called "Give It Here", which I think is an OK effort.

• whatever happened to that dude, anyways? Thats the only song I recall ever hearing by the mayne. He was from the Yay Area wasnt he? Somewhere in Cali at least, right?

That song was/is wack.

Yeah, it is what it is..got crazy play on radio and tv. I was just curious to whatever happened to dude.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    That song was/is wack.

wasnt that bad.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    nice band h have...im jealous.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    that song was not wack

/tinged by sentimentality for 6th grade

that song was not wack

Right along w/ your Kriss Kross tape this is some "rapp" for soft suburbanites, K-swiss wearing, my parents approve, wow not all rappers have to be hard(cause i cant be),soft shell crab,calvin @ mcdonalds,Topher/Becky and them,hey guys we can write a rhyme like that too, sympathy for peripheral fans garbage.

that song was not wack

Right along w/ your Kriss Kross tape this is some "rapp" for soft suburbanites, K-swiss wearing, my parents approve, wow not all rappers have to be hard(cause i cant be),soft shell crab,calvin @ mcdonalds,Topher/Becky and them,hey guys we can write a rhyme like that too, sympathy for peripheral fans garbage.

REAL TALK

Rap for people who don't like rap.

that song was not wack

REAL TALK

Graemlin Pleez

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    that song was not wack

this song was popular w my 'urban 6th grade experience' and were played on 'local black experience' radio. just fyi

it wasn't as big as the chronic or whatever but i dont think kids care as much about that kind of delineating as you do.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    that song was not wack

I can't cosign putting Ahmad next to Kris Kross. Not that dude was great or anything but he wasn't really pop like Kris Kross. I used to like "Back In the Day", was it really a "hit" though?

That along w/ that song

"I wish I was a little bit taller......"

Teen Summit RaPP

BAN

Ahmad has better songs than some of your favorite rappers.

that song was not wack

REAL TALK

Graemlin Pleez

Here's an image:

BAN

U dont want to spar w/ me son.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    That along w/ that song

"I wish I was a little bit taller......"
    yeah but that song is cheesy in a 'baby got back' way
    ahmad made no impact in 2000s dorm room chatter. he is forgotten, as is his one big song about nike cortez and footsie socks

that song was not wack

REAL TALK

Graemlin Pleez

Here's an image:

Or perhaps:

BAN

U dont want to spar w/ me son.

I don't know much about rap so probably not.