Ahmad - Back in the Day question

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    That along w/ that song

"I wish I was a little bit taller......"

Teen Summit RaPP

"I Heart The Nineties" Caitlyn Karaoke Rap

And wasn't this dude some sort of peripheral Project Blowed member?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rap for people who don't like rap.

Graemlin Pleez
    Here's an image:

His fans perceive themselves as real.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That along w/ that song

Teen Summit RaPP

"I Heart The Nineties" Caitlyn Karaoke Rap

And wasn't this dude some sort of peripheral Project Blowed member?

U done did it now!!!......CandymanCandyManCandyMan........

Graemlin Pleez
    Here's an image:

As real religious Pitchfork readers, perhaps.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    It's true, you don't realize really what you got til it's gone
    and I'm not, gonna sing another sad song, but
    Sometimes I do sit and reminisce then
    Think about the years I was raised, back in the days

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

And wasn't Skee-Lo some sort of peripheral Project Blowed member?

yes.

I can't cosign putting Ahmad next to Kris Kross. Not that dude was great or anything but he wasn't really pop like Kris Kross.

ahmad killed it on come widdit. the weakest verse on the song and still pretty dope.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    that song was not wack

/tinged by sentimentality for 6th grade

Right along w/ your Kriss Kross tape this is some "rapp" for soft suburbanites, K-swiss wearing, my parents approve, wow not all rappers have to be hard(cause i cant be),soft shell crab,calvin @ mcdonalds,Topher/Becky and them,hey guys we can write a rhyme like that too, sympathy for peripheral fans garbage.

REAL TALK

Graemlin Pleez

Here's an image:

Or perhaps:

haha.

Switching lures?

• Rap for people who don't like rap.

Graemlin Pleez
    Here's an image:

As real religious Pitchfork readers, perhaps.

Or Soul Strut readers:

The New EL-P Album Is Fire

I liked it too.

But I could do without some of the guest rock vocals.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Ahmad is a very dope rapper, IMO. He's just one of those that never made a lot of hot tracks. His Wake Up Show appearance with Juice is classic to me:

On a lower note, I had the misfortune to catch Ahmad battling a no-name amateur MC on some late-night UPN rap battle show back in like 2000. It was sad because the whole show was full of no-name dudes trying to get some shine and here's this dude who already had some measure of fame and, at the very least, has put in way more years in the game than any of these dudes, and they introduce him without any special mention. Then his battle opponent is tearing into him about being a washed-up one-hit wonder and all that.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    that song was not wack

Right along w/ your Kriss Kross tape this is some "rapp" for soft suburbanites, K-swiss wearing, my parents approve, wow not all rappers have to be hard(cause i cant be),soft shell crab,calvin @ mcdonalds,Topher/Becky and them,hey guys we can write a rhyme like that too, sympathy for peripheral fans garbage.

What's funny about this is that Ahmad actually comes from the background of being a lil OG.

To folks who had previously known him, the "softness" of "Back in the Day" came as a surprise.

That along w/ that song

Teen Summit RaPP

Both those dudes came out of the Good Life, a teen summit, that also produced RBX, Volume 10, PEACE, Ganjah K, Big Arch, Wreccless, and a bunch of other dudes y'all really wouldn't want to fuck with.

And yes, the Good Life coexistence of seemingly little dude, nasally-voiced quirky rappers like Ahmad, Skee-Lo, Trendsetta, etc. with the full-bodied, heavyweight OG's was rooted in 1. the idea that not all rap has to be coming from an identical place, and 2. the apparent fact that MC Shan was way bigger in LA back in the day than anyone now seems to realize.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I like Ahmad, the song in question, and rap music in general.

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

-e
    sayin

• Juss Rhyme would be perfect for that graemlin.

-e
    sayin

^^^^ALSO LIKE REMY MA AND SHAWNNA, RESPECTIVELY.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I always thought this shit was mad soft.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    why? what makes it any softer than "passin me by" or some other rap back-in-the-day classic?

why? what makes it any softer than "passin me by" or some other rap back-in-the-day classic?

well you mean besides that 'passin me by' had far superior raps and production?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

whats wrong with a loop of love tko?
    his rapping was fine. it makes sense. he raps about shit people recognize, i.e. playing ding dong ditch and shit like that. its affecting

his rapping was fine. it makes sense. he raps about shit people recognize, i.e. playing ding dong ditch and shit like that. its affecting

nothing wrong with it. it's just not fucking with passin me by. sorry.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    that song was not wack

What's funny about this is that Ahmad actually comes from the background of being a lil OG.

To folks who had previously known him, the "softness" of "Back in the Day" came as a surprise.

So, basically, he's like the second coming of Ton Loc. (Note: That's not a dis.)

For what it's worth, the Baka Boyz used to play Back in the Day right along with Afro Puffs, Pistolgrip Pump, This DJ, and all the other radio-hard LA hits of the day.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

nothing wrong with it. it's just not fucking with passin me by. sorry.
    ok, except he said it was specifically 'soft' and i dont see what makes it any 'soft'-er than passin me by. Or what 'superior' (what a meaningless attempt to quantify qualitative judgements!) has to do with it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

For what it's worth, the Baka Boyz used to play Back in the Day song right along with Afro Puffs, Pistolgrip Pump, This DJ, and all the other radio-hard LA hits of the day.
    this was true in chicago too

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Just because. It's my opinion. Don't try and examine it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Just because. It's my opinion. Don't try and examine it.
    ok! i'll make sure to check the right box in ahmad.xls next to your name

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You "talk" to much, dude.

Back in the Day was prominently featured in the soundtrack to The Wood.

So there!!!

You "talk" to much, dude.

You talk too much off-topic shit, duuuuude.