Rep Your NewJack/Teen/Slasher Horror Movies

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I'd say this genre has experienced a bit of a resurgence in the past few years.I dig all the Final Destinations (great death scenes related)Cry Wolf was pretty solidI can fuck w/ House of Wax to an extentGonna check out Turistas and Black Christmas.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I Know What You Did Last Summer or Sceam was the "rebirth" of the Genre?
    Just wondering what launched the studios into green lighting all the projects.

Dusk 'Till Dawn isnt part of this is it? More of a Vampire Spoof?

And truthfully speakin' I was kinda too "old" for the resergence. Im from the Freddy/Jason/Micheal era.
    So i didnt/havent ran out to see any of the new skool horror in the past 10 yrs.

But I hear The Ring is an very good example of this/the era.

• Yeah, I'm not dropping theater coin on these, but I'll Tivo 'em when they come on HBO or whatever.

You should check out the Final Destination ones if you ahve the chance. Those are pretty well done. It's the OG X-Files dudes' series. (Wong & Morgan)

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I'm just amazed at the range of ultra budget horror Blockbluster has. Shit runs deep in LA.

Andre the butcher? Frankenfish? How many bloodsucking mummy movies do you need?

When Blockbluster bought out the small chains, this is exactly the type of schlock they threw out in quantity.

No frankenhooker.

Now frankenfish gets the green light?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I can fuck w/ House of Wax to an extent

This movie was terrible and therefore sort of funny.

Cabin Fever, meanwhile, was just plain terrible. Couldn't even be enjoyed as camp--it was just lame.

But really, when it comes to this teen horror shit, there's no such thing as a good PG-13 horror movie. The only hope is that it will be funny-bad, which is good, because I dig funny-bad movies.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    The Ring is an very good example of this/the era.

The Ring is awful. Not scary b/w doesn't really make sense. No reason to remake this shit.

• You guys sound like movie critics rating horror movies. Where my horror fans at?

• recently watched Hostel since the sequel is coming, and while it was not over-the-top gore, it was a fun film all around.

The Saw series was good too, with the last one really cranking up the gag (as is gag-reflex) factor with the gore.

Are we limited by year? Cause John Carpenter's The Thing is still off the chain and holds up to this day.

• recently watched Hostel since the sequel is coming, and while it was not over-the-top gore, it was a fun film all around.

The Saw series was good too, with the last one really cranking up the gag (as is gag-reflex) factor with the gore.

Are we limited by year? Cause John Carpenter's The Thing is still off the chain and holds up to this day.

"The Thing" is a classic. A good film, IMO.

I just watched the first "Saw" and was kinda "Ehh" on it but since Chris Moltisanti loves it so much I might re-watch.

I dug Hostel. Eye-cutting scene rocks.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

def a classic. did yall know that there is a remake in the pipeline?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Thanksgiving NSFW!

A fake slasher film trailer that will be seen between the feature films in the new movie Grindhouse.
    Directed by the dude that did Hostel and Cabin Fever.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

No frankenhooker.

I heart Frankenhooker.

Personally I'm all for the resurgence in cheap and trashy horror films. I still don't really like films shot on digital video but i'd still fuck with these over the cgi filled fake trash films coming out of major studios. Something like The Hills Have Eyes remake, despite it's overwhelming gore, failed to create the same kind of reaction in me as an old school latex head mash or eye poke.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts

and...

The latter is not strictly a slasher film, but it has teens in it. And eye removal.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Isloation is a decent Irish horror movie about bovine genetic modification gone wrong and another good recent film - its name totally escapes me - is the British film about arms manufacturer employees on work retreat in Serbia.

you know that Carpenter's is itself a re-make right?

Actually a rare, good remake of an older movie.

But yeah, fuck a 3rd version.

and seriously, did anyone think "Ring" was anything but shit? I'm curious.

• "The Thing" is a classic. A good film, IMO.

Saw it in the theater. Loved it. Had not seen the original. Thought it was pretty spooky. It creeped me out for a few days after. What didn't you like about it? Fan of the original Japanese film?

• Are we limited by year? Cause John Carpenter's The Thing is still off the chain and holds up to this day.

you know that Carpenter's is itself a re-make right?

Actually a rare, good remake of an older movie.

But yeah, fuck a 3rd version.

yup, that's based on a book. On the DVD extras, they go into detail about how JC loved the OG black and white version as a kid, and then read the book and was waaay into doing this movie.

I just really dig how it really gets under your skin because if you have never seen it, or haven't seen it in a loooong ass time, you really have no idea who might be infected.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I just watched the first "Saw" and was kinda "Ehh" on it but since Chris Moltisanti loves it so much I might re-watch.

People always talk smack about the last "Sopranos" season but that subplot was so hilarious, especially when all the mob dudes were giving suggestions for the screenplay to that dude from "Wings."

Saw it in the theater. Loved it. Had not seen the original. Thought it was pretty spooky. It creeped me out for a few days after. What didn't you like about it? Fan of the original Japanese film?

I don't think either one was that fresh. some spooky visuals, but I guess I still wanna see a horror flick with at least some semblance of an original concept or plot. the Thing is a good example; much more than just scary camera angles and suspense, it had a unique concept.

• "The Thing" is a classic. A good film, IMO.

I don't think either one was that fresh. some spooky visuals, but I guess I still wanna see a horror flick with at least some semblance of an original concept or plot. the Thing is a good example; much more than just scary camera angles and suspense, it had a unique concept.

What are the other "dead girl on a videotape and in a well" movies that you liked better?

I'm poking fun here.

What are the other "dead girl on a videotape and in a well" movies that you liked better?

I'm poking fun here.

hahaha it's amazing the weight that that well scene b/w the girl coming out of the screen scenes pulled for that movie. prolly the only scary parts. without those two scenes I doubt anyone would remember this flick.

• I don't think either one was that fresh. some spooky visuals, but I guess I still wanna see a horror flick with at least some semblance of an original concept or plot. the Thing is a good example; much more than just scary camera angles and suspense, it had a unique concept.

I'm poking fun here.

hahaha it's amazing the weight that that well scene b/w the girl coming out of the screen scenes pulled for that movie. prolly the only scary parts. without those two scenes I doubt anyone would remember this flick.

Hmmm. I thought the scene at the old house w/ Brian Cox was pretty creepy. Some of the other lead-ups as well. The whole weird thing w/ the horse on the ferry. Like I said, I found it solid.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I hate to say it, but I like the remake better. the original was soooo built up to me that once I saw it, I was really disappointed. it was not creepy or scary to me whatsoever.

not to say that the remake scared or creeped me out any more, but I enjoyed it more visually (as said above, the horse scene was amazing). I thought the use of repetition was really effective and the TV girl's choppy walk looked better in the US version imo.

the last film that gave me nightmares as an adult was Carnival of Souls. not a scary film, but so good at creating atmosphere that stays with you.

Thanksgiving NSFW!

A fake slasher film trailer that will be seen between the feature films in the new movie Grindhouse.

I'll take it the lack of responses to this trailer as no one will be going to see GRINDHOUSE on friday?
    I cant wait for it to open here,it's this year's most anticipated release for me.

• Thanksgiving NSFW!

I'll take it the lack of responses to this trailer as no one will be going to see GRINDHOUSE on friday?
    I cant wait for it to open here,it's this year's most anticipated release for me.

I didn't wanna spoil it is the reason I didn't watch it. I can't fathom NOT wanting to see "Grindhouse" as soon as possible.

That trailer is guaranteed to draw a massive crowd reaction gasp if it plays out uncut
    as it is now.

• That trailer is guaranteed to draw a massive crowd reaction gasp if it plays out uncut
    as it is now.

Okay, then. Maybe I should watch it? You tell me.

That trailer is guaranteed to draw a massive crowd reaction gasp if it plays out uncut
    as it is now.

You'll be rewatching it a lot of times,saying to yourself i cant believe they did that in the end in front of the kids.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    I dig all the Final Destinations

me too! this series is brilliant

i just rented turistas the other day. more boobies woulda saved that flick.

• That trailer is guaranteed to draw a massive crowd reaction gasp if it plays out uncut
    as it is now.

You'll be rewatching it a lot of times,saying to yourself i cant believe they did that in the end in front of the kids.

Hey Magnetic, the link wasn't working for me. Now I wanna see it! Help me please.