Bmore (latepassrelated)

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
So I've heard about Baltimore Club and all that awhile back, but I never gave it a chance, or really checked for anything?Is this the "new" thing? Is this popular in clubs all over America?Is it a fad?Someone school me... I been checking some shit online, and I like some of it in a guilty pleasure kinda way. I can see it working with lots of crowds... Seems real simple and repetitive, but functional. Whats the deal with this shit? School a old man.Peace...FNM

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Paging Urrs.

I don't know a whole lot but check these artists...

DJ Technics
    Rod Lee
    DJ Big Red
    Dukeyman
    DJ Boobie
    Da Yo Boyz
    DJ Tittsworth

...add on

• ...add on

DJ Ayres!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Is this the "new" thing? Is this popular in clubs all over America?

It's been around for awhile now.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    DJ Technics has a great primer / history on his site:

http://www.baltimoreclubtracks.com/history.htm

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Is this the "new" thing?

No.

Is this popular in clubs all over America?

No.

No disrespect to the genre; just answering your questions.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Is this the "new" thing? Is this popular in clubs all over America?
    ok anecdotally,

no, as a general rule. However. My understanding is

1) it is popular in baltimore
    2) it is popular at hipster gatherings - you can't throw a rock w/out hitting some sub-hollertronix DJs in chicago who play "all kinds of music"-overly eclectic 'mash ups' that include baltimore club, miami bass, southern rap, caroica funk, etc. - anything made popular by dudes like hollertronix gets picked up by the hip/indie crowd and DJs who hve been following these guys. It isn't really being experienced, as far as I can tell, with much context, though; i doubt most of what these guys are keeping up with is particularly current nor is it played *exclusively* like i imagine it to be in bmore - its always a part of this 'post-dance-many-nations-ghetto-musics' art school dj soup. Generally these DJs kind of suck.
    3) I have actually seen the jamaican DJs coppershot spin and they played some baltimore club in a mix that was mostly dancehall and hip-hop. I think they might be based in NY now and i know technics or whoever have done shows in NY so I imagine there is a bit more of a scene for it in cities near baltimore (probably D.C.?)
    4) here in chicago juke house kind of holds the place the baltimore house does in baltimore so we don't really need someone trying to sell it back to us with breakbeats. The stuff doesn't have much currency here generally outside the art school crowd. That said I think lots of baltimore club is really pretty cool, and despite its similarity to the house sound here there is something refreshing about the way the breakbeats give it a different feel. A couple years back I spent maybe 100$ buying baltimore mixtapes from baltimoreclubtrax.com and really enjoyed some of them.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Baltimore, Maryland in general, DC, Delaware.

• philly too.

And I have heard that is has been on NYC radio mix shows as well...but I haven't heard it myself.

• 3) I have actually seen the jamaican DJs coppershot spin and they played some baltimore club in a mix that was mostly dancehall and hip-hop. I think they might be based in NY now and i know technics or whoever have done shows in NY so I imagine there is a bit more of a scene for it in cities near baltimore (probably D.C.?)

That shit goes in philly and even parts east in central jersey but dc is and forever will be a go-go city. That being said the local 12" spot has significantly expanded their bmore section as of late, but I suspect it's the art school crowd who's buying it up.

• choleracholera 101 Posts
    I remember seeing some footage, online somewhere, of a documentary on B-More. Does anyone recall this, or have heard of this? This was more than a few years ago that I caught the trailer. I figured someone on here might now something about it. It looked pretty interesting.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Are we talking about ish like "Sardines"? That schitt has been around for a long time.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i liked that radiohead bmore track @ itstherub.com 's mp3 page.

its definitly a guilty pleasure for me, and it is happily accepted in the club when it laces up a familiar joint.

dunno if i could listen to an entire set of it though, but im no conessuire.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Paging Urrs.

hi!

I don't know a whole lot but check these artists...

DJ Technics
    Rod Lee
    DJ Big Red
    Dukeyman
    DJ Boobie
    Da Yo Boyz
    DJ Tittsworth

...add on

DJ Class
    Jonny Blaze
    Scottie B
    King Tut
    Blaqstar
    KW Griff
    DJ Ron Rico
    Frank Ski
    Ms Tony
    Diamond K
    Bamabounce

My favorite club producers of the last 2 years are DJ Tameil and Debonair Samir.

Baltimore Club has been around for at least 14 years as a distinct genre and the roots go back to hip-house, breakbeat hardcore, techno, house, etc. There is a new crop of producers (aka "Hollertronix babies") from all over the place who make "baltimore" club but most of them lean too heavily on the Sing-Sing break and remixing popular hip-hop or 80s tunes rather than pushing the sound forward. I feel like Diplo, Low-Bee, Sinden and a few others are exceptions to this. And although Baltimore dudes tend to not leave Baltimore much, there are a few guys who are making Club music using a wider palatte to appeal to more of a hipster audience, like sampling from Radiohead (DJ Technics), Daft Punk (DJ Tameil), etc. Aaron LaCrate gets a lot of love overseas but he fucked over a bunch of people and faked moves to make it happen. Baltimore Club is bigger in Philly than it is in Baltimore, especially at primarily African-American clubs, and this predates Hollertronix (their playing club was more a reflection of its ubiquity in Philly than In Baltimore and Philly, Club music is huge among teenagers. Go to YouTube and search "Wu-Tang Dance." A lot of people in Philly don't know that sound comes from Baltimore - it's just Club Music or Party Music.

In New York, Cipher Sounds plays Baltimore Club records from time to time on his mixshow on Hot 97 and always shouts out New Jersey - I gather that at the big clubs he plays in NJ, it club is bigger than it is in New York. We can get away with 10-15 minutes of Baltimore Club at The Rub, any more than that people start to lose interest. Out of town I get to play it for longer. It's really fun to mix and I would like to play more but I think most places I go they will only really go with club if the samples are recognizable.

Here are some MP3s of Baltimore joints that I made:

http://www.djayres.com/MP3/balmerleak/DJ%20Ayres%20-%20Show%20Em.mp3

with Catchdubs - http://itstherub.com/music/catchayres/Nick_Catchdubs_and_DJ_Ayres_Tell_Me_When_To_Go_Remix.mp3

http://djayres.com/MP3/DJ%20Ayres%20-%20Broke%20Ass%20Home.mp3

http://www.djayres.com/MP3/WMDJune06/DJ%20Ayres%20-%20La%20Da%20Dee.mp3

Here is my mixtape on Money Studies with Tittsworth:

the intro:
    http://www.djayres.com/MP3/WMDOct06/AYRESandTITTIESsnippet1.mp3

snippet of the Baltimore classics section: http://www.djayres.com/MP3/WMDOct06/AYRESandTITTIESsnippet2.mp3

snippet of the comedy section:
    http://www.djayres.com/MP3/WMDOct06/AYRESandTITTIESsnippet3.mp3

You can buy that on my site http://www.djayres.com/mixtapes/store.htm or at Teh Lab. Also check for our battle record with tons of Baltimore and Miami Bass loops, on A-Trak's AMMO label :

• its always a part of this 'post-dance-many-nations-ghetto-musics' art school dj soup. Generally these DJs kind of suck.

what music do you spin? "hyphy gospel pop gangsta"? jus sayin, djs need to be looking for big beats from all over in order to keep it interesting.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    http://baltimoreclubtracks.com/

you can get a bunch of mixtapes there too. dj technics' shit is up there

what music do you spin? "hyphy gospel pop gangsta"? jus sayin, djs need to be looking for big beats from all over in order to keep it interesting.
    haha. 'hyphy gospel pop gangsta' is MC Hammer.
    don't get me wrong, i'm fine w/ diverse sets, i've just seen to many terrible DJs trying to do 'eclectic' the exact same way everyone else does.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Are we talking about ish like "Sardines"? That schitt has been around for a long time.

"Sardines" is Go-Go. Entirely different from Baltimore Club.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    buy Ayres stuff

I try to find things that work with what I do - some of the best ones are from Ayres himself (b-more versions of Move On Up, It's Just Begun etc.)- and work that into my sets a little if it fits.
    I'm not one to jump on bandwagons and shit, but if I like something I'll play it.

There's a time and place for everything.

I need this btw

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

Baltimore Club is bigger in Philly than it is in Baltimore, especially at primarily African-American clubs, and this predates Hollertronix

i wanna say 10 years ago Armands Records was selling 45s of "watch out for the big girl", "put ya leg up", "pick it up" and keeping them stocked right next to where the turntables were. not sure when these records actually came out, these could have even been reissues. the philly radio mix show djs were playing these songs all the time back then too.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Baltimore Club is bigger in Philly than it is in Baltimore, especially at primarily African-American clubs, and this predates Hollertronix

i wanna say 10 years ago Armands Records was selling 45s of "watch out for the big girl", "put ya leg up", "pick it up" and keeping them stocked right next to where the turntables were. not sure when these records actually came out, these could have even been reissues. the philly radio mix show djs were playing these songs all the time back then too.

yeah. i never saw "pick it up" on 45 but I have the other two. those were bootlegs, I think they were done in DC

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    buy Ayres stuff

I'm not one to jump on bandwagons and shit, but if I like something I'll play it.

cosine, ayres' ladadee and tell me when to go were killing it over here last summer.. the girls seem to dig it more than the dudes i've noticed, not complaining, just sayin'

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    i remember talking to one of my co-workers last year that was from b-more (and a long time clubber) and she was telling me that back in the day like 10 or so years ago, they would play b-more club music around last call at rap clubs to kick everyone out because that was the only way people would leave the spot.

thought that was pretty entertaining.

but yeah, shit is just starting to surface beyond bmore-dc-philly-nyc and so on.

hollur.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    buy Ayres stuff

cosine, ayres' ladadee and tell me when to go were killing it over here last summer.. the girls seem to dig it more than the dudes i've noticed, not complaining, just sayin'

for some reason the Tell Me When To Go remix also really resonates with dwarves

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    outside of the hipster crowd that Baltimore Club doesn't fly here in LA.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

dwarves

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yeah you guys enjoy mickey avalon, then

will that change if someone does a micky avalon b-more remix?

ps. dont answer that.

yeah you guys enjoy mickey avalon, then

Again thats hipster set only... outside of them people have no clue who he is. And everything i have seen/heard from him is:

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    B-more just like everything else, you gotta dig, there's good and bad
    Writing it off as hipster music is kinda weak IMO.

Buy this...

B-more just like everything else, you gotta dig, there's good and bad
    Writing it off as hipster music is kinda weak IMO.

Not writing it off as Hipster Music, its been around alot longer than hipsters have and will probably be around a long time after they get tired of it. Just sayin its kind of a flavor of the month for that segment and in general out here in LA its not being listened to outside of that crowd.