~~~Basic Records You Never Pass On~~~~~

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    PSK

What does that mean?

tripledouble stylee---> it means franticdiagnosis.
    completely basic for when you have the touch of tony.

• Grand Funk- Survival
    Laura Lee- Women's Love Rights
    Paul Mauriat- Doing My Thing
    Hall & Oates- Abandoned Luncheonette

• provided they are ~$2 or less

Marcia Hines - Shines
    Daly Wilson Big Band - any album
    Renee Geyer - any album

they make great trade material for those semi regular trips to the UK, suffice to say there are multiples accumulating at home already

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

i can never leave this one at a thrift for $1 or less
    i got like 5 or so

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    provided they are ~$2 or less

Marcia Hines - Shines
    Renee Geyer - any album

they make great trade material for those semi regular trips to the UK, suffice to say there are multiples accumulating at home already

Any self respecting Aussie digger uses this 3-card monty as their mantra

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
    i can't stop buying

and

it's like a sickness...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    PSK

What does that mean?

parksidekillas foooooooool!!!!!!!

tripledouble stylee---> it means franticdiagnosis.
    completely basic for when you have the touch of tony.

dont cramp my style

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    i

it's like a sickness...

Damn right you must be sick in the head to have even one copy of Synchronicity!
    I loves me some Police but that album is shiite!

• this thread illustrates the massive divide between digging elsewhere (mainly stateside) and here in australia. the only break stuff i see mega copies of here in western australia is the daly-wilson on tour LP plus thriller by michael jackson... always nice to have doubles of billie jean to juggle i guess....

• provided they are ~$2 or less

Marcia Hines - Shines
    Renee Geyer - any album

for sure mate... not many aussie funky pieces that you see on the regular! reading about all these "common" come-ups that people cop multiples of is making my head spin.. especially as some of them i STILL dont have - like layers or everybody loves the sunshine....

hope digging is treating you well bud - i copped a copy of the rize and tarkee 12" on straitup for a buck while over in chatswood the weekend i was visiting my brother in sydney.. NM condition too! so sick!!!

cheers
    max

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

for sure mate... not many aussie funky pieces that you see on the regular! reading about all these "common" come-ups that people cop multiples of is making my head spin.. especially as some of them i STILL dont have - like layers or everybody loves the sunshine....

A lot of these are regional even in the States, and also
    the expanding ranks of "beat-diggers" means formerly ubiquitous
    titles such as Bob James 1 & 2 and, in my area, "Layers" are not so
    easy to trip over anymore. There are certain records that I see
    all the time around here and just leave behind that I'm sure aren't
    turning up like this elsewhere, though. I could definitely own
    20 copies of "Everybody Loves the Sunshine" now if I wanted to,
    or, as discussed in another thread, the box of "Tough Guys" sealed
    soundtracks that every Boston store has in their back room.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah, the regional thing is apparent here in OZ too. I actually pass that tough guys soundtrack fairly frequntly in the field, as US blaxploitation soundtracks go around here anyway.

The thing is I think there are aussies digging that don't dig deep enough. No diss to anyone, but go to different areas and see whats around. I have plenty of luck going around to coastal townships and finding interesting things, whether aussie or US pressings. It's true that we ain't tripping over no Roy Ayers records over here though!

Please to pick up all copies of 'every body loves the sunshine' and I'll grab you some Renee Geyer and Daly Wilsons for the trouble!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I usually don't pass on the following all for the giving to friends reason:

Van Morrison - Period of Transition (Dr. John on guitar, a good $1-$2 pickup just for "Heavy Connection" imho)

Hissing of Summer Lawns - Joni Mitchell (my favorite Joni Mitchell record)
    Little Feat - Dixie Chicken
    Bonnie Raitt - s/t
    Swiss Movement - Eddie / Les

Nothing mind blowing, but all worth a buck.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I could definitely own
    20 copies of "Everybody Loves the Sunshine" now if I wanted to,
    or, as discussed in another thread, the box of "Tough Guys" sealed
    soundtracks that every Boston store has in their back room.

haha.
    i got tough guys sealed.
    but everybody loves the sunshine? next time you come across a cheap one, snatch it up for me. another one ive never seen in the field. unlike you send me.

• donny hathaway - live

cosine. i have bought and given away many copies of this record. if i see it for $5 or less i'll just cop. so essential. just got another over the weekend after my boy told me to look out for one for him. makes me feel all fuzzy inside to share this music

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    donny hathaway - live

Best live Soul LP......ever?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    donny hathaway - live

yes

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    donny hathaway - live

yes

I was just listening to this on the bus yesterday, and as much as I dig 'Curtis Live', there is just something so direct and perfect about everything on the Donny Hathaway Live record, it's just crazy good.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    donny hathaway - live

yes

I was just listening to this on the bus yesterday, and as much as I dig 'Curtis Live', there is just something so direct and perfect about everything on the Donny Hathaway Live record, it's just crazy good.

shit.. i don't have that Donny LP.. and I think i've only seen it once, for $20... i guess i should have picked it up.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i

it's like a sickness...

Damn right you must be sick in the head to have even one copy of Synchronicity!
    I loves me some Police but that album is shiite!

I'll cop to being a Police fan when I was a teenager, but of the two albums I had by that band, Synchronicity was the one I spun the least...dumped that one long long ago. I guess they made sure their worst album was their last, just so we wouldn't miss them???

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Just last week, I picked up an extra one of these for less than a dollar and I'm still not sure why...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

This came out the same week I had my first boy-girl party and of course someone brought it and it got heavy rotation, much to my unhappiness. (I never want to hear Every Breath again)
    The first record I ever bought with my own $$ was Ghost in the Machine and I tried playing Invisible Sun at the party to show what an amazing song it is, but the kids weren't having it. Not exactly a party song, I know. Being a good hostess, I gave in. But I will say that may have been the last time I played something I wasn't feeling to please a crowd.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    found this cheap last week and gave it to my brother...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Just last week, I picked up an extra one of these for less than a dollar and I'm still not sure why...

Me neither--it is not a good record.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Just last week, I picked up an extra (copy of Les McCann's Invitation To Openness) for less than a dollar and I'm still not sure why...

Maybe I just heard the wrong stuff, but according to my ears, the best McCann was done BEFORE he got to Atlantic, when he was doing the soulful-piano-trio thing on Limelight and Pacific Jazz.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Just last week, I picked up an extra (copy of Les McCann's Invitation To Openness) for less than a dollar and I'm still not sure why...

Maybe I just heard the wrong stuff, but according to my ears, the best McCann was done BEFORE he got to Atlantic, when he was doing the soulful-piano-trio thing on Limelight and Pacific Jazz.
    The Pacific Jazz stuff is nice, I like the early (maybe the first?) one "Plays The Truth" & "Jazz Waltz" with the Jazz Crusaders is nice too. I find it hard to compare with the Atlantic stuff though, it is pretty different to his later Atlantic stuff.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'm going to go with Gene Chandler
    Live on Stage in '65 on Constellation
    for that category ... I realize I'm probably
    alone in my private mind garden with that one,
    but it's not only my favorite live soul album,
    but one of my 10 favorite albums, period.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I think you're right--the only Atlantic release that stands up is Much Les, IMO (I think that's what it's called, anyway).

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

I'm going to go with Gene Chandler
    Live on Stage in '65 on Constellation
    for that category ... I realize I'm probably
    alone in my private mind garden with that one,
    but it's not only my favorite live soul album,
    but one of my 10 favorite albums, period.

I'll go with Sam Cooke - Live at Harlem Square Club, almost solely for the version of You Send Me / Bring it on Home to Me. Simply amazing.

All three are amazing records though.

• Just last week, I picked up an extra (copy of Les McCann's Invitation To Openness) for less than a dollar and I'm still not sure why...

I think you're right--the only Atlantic release that stands up is Much Les, IMO (I think that's what it's called, anyway).

LAYERS YO