Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Best live Soul LP......ever?

I'm going to go with Gene Chandler
    Live on Stage in '65 on Constellation
    for that category ... I realize I'm probably
    alone in my private mind garden with that one,
    but it's not only my favorite live soul album,
    but one of my 10 favorite albums, period.

James Brown Live at the Apollo Vol II is a very good 2LP.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Just last week, I picked up an extra (copy of Les McCann's Invitation To Openness) for less than a dollar and I'm still not sure why...

Me neither--it is not a good record.

Maybe I just heard the wrong stuff, but according to my ears, the best McCann was done BEFORE he got to Atlantic, when he was doing the soulful-piano-trio thing on Limelight and Pacific Jazz.

I think you're right--the only Atlantic release that stands up is Much Les, IMO (I think that's what it's called, anyway).

LAYERS YO

Maybe I just heard the wrong stuff - like Layers[/b] - but according to my ears, the best McCann was done BEFORE he got to Atlantic, when he was doing the soulful-piano-trio thing, NOT the fusionish Layers[/b]. Thank you!

(I'll make an exception for "Compared To What" w/Eddie Harris, though...)

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    I never pass on this and it turns up regulary is OZ

I always buy any Nina Simone I see
    and she recorded a hell of a lot of stuff.
    I for some reason buy alot of Jose Feliciano as i like his sound his version of "light My fire" is

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    There's a a couple seconds of heaviness on there, but other than that I bought it out of fetishization.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

I for some reason buy alot of Jose Feliciano as i like his sound his version of "light My fire" is
    I passed on that 45 last night, however his 45 of "Hitchcock Railway"/"Hi Heel Sneakers" is very nice.

I also only ever come across that Mandingo without the chick cover.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    In the last year I've found three or four copies of the first Perth County Conspiracy and gave/traded them away. That's an LP I'll pick up if I see it for $6 or under. Great record quite common in Canada.

Oh, and Maestro Fresh Wes - Naah dis kid can't be from Canada CD. I've bought every copy I've seen.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Just last week, I picked up an extra (copy of Les McCann's Invitation To Openness) for less than a dollar and I'm still not sure why...

Me neither--it is not a good record.

Maybe I just heard the wrong stuff, but according to my ears, the best McCann was done BEFORE he got to Atlantic, when he was doing the soulful-piano-trio thing on Limelight and Pacific Jazz.

I think you're right--the only Atlantic release that stands up is Much Les, IMO (I think that's what it's called, anyway).

I listened to "Invitation to Openness" and passed on it.

Much Les is a pretty good record, but the recording sucks, it sounds muffled and kinda flat.

I picked up a beat Pacific Jazz record back in the day, and liked it.

• i can never pass on dollar bin joints like

bob james one
    dexter wansel- life on mars
    leroy hutson or any lamont dozier lp's
    blackbyrds- city life
    the sylvers s/t, or any sylvers joint
    other than cti or bluenote labels...i love most joints on the inner city label.

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
    i

it's like a sickness...

Damn right you must be sick in the head to have even one copy of Synchronicity!
    I loves me some Police but that album is shiite!

I'll cop to being a Police fan when I was a teenager, but of the two albums I had by that band, Synchronicity was the one I spun the least...dumped that one long long ago. I guess they made sure their worst album was their last, just so we wouldn't miss them???

i agree it's the worst album by the police. i like "king of pain" but that's it. its just a weird, i need to get this album thing b/c of it being attached to some personal memory shit. i almost never play it.

• the sweet marie and mackey feary band

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    the sylvers s/t, or any sylvers joint

this thread is weird.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I never pass on this and it turns up regulary is OZ

I always buy any Nina Simone I see

Yes about Nina Simone.

Moon Goddess on the Mandingo LP is killer - when it kicks in - holllleeeee shit!

• there's no way i'm leaving either of the first two Roxy music albums in the store if there a quid or two. Insanely good albums. I'll give em out to any one with ears who hates on the Bri -man (ferry that is. no one in their right mind would hate on Eno)

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    James Last "Well kept secret". Always a fun record to pass to friends and they are always surprised because it isn't all that bad.