Are these the same records?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
The Groove Merchant copy is sealed. I can't listen to it. Never heard the record. Great cover though. Looks like the other (Black Cat, Capital) cover is the same record though. Probably came out later?I know these are the same records, but I'm trying to determine which one came out first. If you had to keep one, which would it be?Tough call because both covers are cool.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Tough call because both covers are cool.

Obviously you keep them both.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Likely. So you don't know nothing about the Jr. Parker lp?

Holla at my PM with your shipping info. I need to return those Wire DVDs . Thought I'd make it to DC before the dude gets bornt, but looking unlikely.

Likely. So you don't know nothing about the Jr. Parker lp?

Holla at my PM with your shipping info. I need to return those Wire DVDs . Thought I'd make it to DC before the dude gets bornt, but looking unlikely.

OKey doke.

Yeah, I know NOTHING about those Junior Parker joints, sorry.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Spoken like a Herbie Mann completist

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Those Jr. Parker's seem to be the same. I have the GM one, good album. It's a confusing thing, but I think the Capitol was the original. Bios about the man state that he recorded beatles' covers for capitol. And for some strange reason, all of the release dates for the groove merchant press I've found say 1997, which is probably when the groove merchant was reissued, but not the original pressing of the GM. So, I'd say the Capitol was the original issue but the GM was probably not far behind.

I don't know about the Coltrane one but I do know that Traneing In OG deep grooves are worth a couple bucks. I've never noticed the other one.

Spoken like a Herbie Mann completist

I was reading in Wax Poetics(I think) that Herbie Mann appears on these records (uncredited!), so yes, it is advised that Fatback keep these if he wants to sleep at night.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the Capitol Jr. Parker is the first...on the back of the Groove Merchant one it says "originaly released On Capitol Records".

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The Groove Merchant copy is sealed. I can't listen to it. Never heard the record. Great cover though. Looks like the other (Black Cat, Capital) cover is the same record though. Probably came out later?

Simple logic would say that the cat cover came first. Can anyone imagine the marketing dept asking to replace the mini-skirt for the black cat? Unlikely.

Simple logic would say that the cat cover came first. Can anyone imagine the marketing dept asking to replace the mini-skirt for the black cat? Unlikely.

good call and...

on the back of the Groove Merchant one it says "originaly released On Capitol Records".

good call and...

on the back of the Groove Merchant one it says "originaly released On Capitol Records".

Really....read much? First day with the new eyeballs, Jerky?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There were quite a few Junior Parker and/or Jimmy McGriff albums that turned up on both Capitol and GM. The connection is producer Sonny Lester.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There were quite a few Junior Parker and/or Jimmy McGriff albums that turned up on both Capitol and GM. The connection is producer Sonny Lester.

Exactly - he was briefly a producer at Capitol and for some reason he got to take several of those sessions over to GM

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I think I read that Sonny Lester did his own productions & licensed them to many labels, Capitol & Groove Merchant were just two of many.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

The one on the right is OG, from 1957. The one on the left is from 1964...the album was renamed "Traneing In" then.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think I read that Sonny Lester did his own productions & licensed them to many labels, Capitol & Groove Merchant were just two of many.

Now that makes sense, this has always confused me.....

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Logic prevails.

• Very simple here, look at backside of groove merchant issue and read below about that its previuosly released on capitol records.........
    uups this has been wrote already...

this thread has become a real embarrassment. what about these?

Does this mean that you are back to perpetrating in peace? I think you need to better consider people's feelings.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

This is where I chime in. McDonald's rarely, if ever, repressed their records, and the demand for them is non-existent. It's impulse buying, so there was only one initial pressing for any of their records. These two look as if they were released at the same time.

Now, if you get those McDonald's records where Ronald McDonald was voiced by Willard Scott, you might have something.