Tribe VS. De La

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
An age-old debate (at least in my circles...).Tribe's got more cred and their first 3 records are arguably better than De la's first 3 (very close...). But, Stakes is High was dope and so was Grind Date. And what's really fucking with 3 Ft. High... I vote De La!

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Tribe. No real justifiable reason other than personal taste.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    Jungle Brothers.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I vote De La!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I was just thinking today as I heard another loud and annoyingly bad song on somebody's cell phone that the chorus "Put-put-put-put-put it on vibrate!!!" from "Kicked Out The House" was still relevant to this day. As for the question, I vote De La. They were more fun and less conventional. Q-tips voice gets annoying after too many listens for me.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Q-tips voice gets annoying after too many listens for me.

• KidKKidK 119 Posts
    the real question:

vs.

"I was born in the boogey down cat-scan..."

I went back to The Low End Theory the other week and found myself surprisingly bored.

De La Soul is Dead however still gets regular burn.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    my opinion changes on this every 1 or 2 years.

atm its DE LA for the win

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    de la.

tribe is more nostalgic because their stuff was played EVERYWHERE (radio, tv, the clubs, etc.), but it is amazing how timeless de la's material has been. you can say the same for tribe, but de la took more risks and still does not sound dated in hardly any of their material.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Dorks.

I can't really even listen to De La anymore.

• DE LA. peace, stein. . .

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    de la is some good peoples. mace is one of the coolest MFers to me.

though id have to say tribe for me. as much as i go and listen to a de la record i put on the tribe stuff way more. 3 ft and... shit i cant even remember what the 2nd lp is called? see how much i pay attention.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    de la....

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    De la

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

You don't like rap.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    It's funny. On paper De La wins: better lyricists (owing largely to the fact that an entire 50% of Tribe was a joke on the mic), and one of the illest producers in history (Paul's material is far more varied and musically iller than Tip's or Ali Shaheed's).

And yet Tribe still wins somehow.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You don't like rap.

How many times have you listened to Three Feet High and Rising this year?

Sorry, I appreciate it as a classic, I would never get rid of my copy, but I also think it sounds immensely dated... in part because of the very possibilities in production that it helped open the door to, but also because I don't think the rapping has really held up.

It simply does not have the timeless quality that EPMD, or Rakim or, yes, Tribe have for me... part of that probably stems from the high humor/skit quotient, which is inevitably tied to the era when it was recorded and when I first experienced it.

Again, I would never argue against its importance/classic status, but it's just not something that has much appeal for me as a listener nearly 20 years later.

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
    De la

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    De la. Prince Paul's production adds a lot into that decision.

De la has some straight up goofy stuff and they have serious stuff too. It's a good balance. I am I be is some beautiful shit. The beat is amazing and the lyrics are on point.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    De la

i love me some de la

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

You don't like rap.

Sorry, I appreciate it as a classic, I would never get rid of my copy, but I also think it sounds immensely dated... in part because of the very possibilities in production that it helped open the door to, but also because I don't think the rapping has really held up.

It simply does not have the timeless quality that EPMD[/b], or Rakim or, yes, Tribe have for me...

EPMD is timeless?!?!

does that mean that your watch broke in 1991 and you've just refused to look forward.

knick knack paddy wack

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    atcq

• awallawall 673 Posts

You don't like rap.

Sorry, I appreciate it as a classic, I would never get rid of my copy, but I also think it sounds immensely dated...

i agree, but their next two subsequent records don't. still, overall:

production of tribe records > production on de la records

but

de la as MCs > tribe as MCs

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Well that's the weakest of their first three LPs, imho. I also find People's Instinctive Travels unlistenable. I still listen to Bulhoone and Is Dead frequently.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Vibe, Vibration

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Vibe, Vibration

I love this album.

but were the true De La fans feeling it at the time?

I remember a lot of die-hard De La fans calling bullshit when this came out.

I can understand people thinking at the time that it was their least impressive to date. And while that CERTAINLY isn't the case anymore given the the AI turds, I still think a lot of heads have backtracked on initial Stakes is High hatteurism.

Of course this is purely anecdotal, and [preemptivehate] fauxrillz can always argue that I don't know any real hip-hop heads [/preemptivehate] .

• knick knack paddy wack

How many times have you recited that line in the last year?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Certain dictionaries supplement their definition of "pedantic" with a Stakes Is High album cover.

But I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    cool breeze on the rocks.....

de la

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    they're both great and their debuts both kind of suck.

ok I like el segundo ok

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    fuck this shit. i aint pickin.