Favorite Funk LP's

mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
edited May 2018 in Record Collecting
What are your favorite funk LP's? I have a decent amount of more obvious stuff, but want some more good LP's to listen to. I'm open to compilations too.
TAGGED:

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    good funk LP's:

Baby Huey on Curtom
    Rasputin Stash on Cotillion (yeah I said it, deal)
    Kool & The Gang S/T & Music is the Message on De-lite
    Both Marva Whitney LP's on King
    Sylvers 1, 2, & 3 on Pride
    all Dennis Coffey LP's on Sussex

more to come

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I like the 'Stash on Gemigo better.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Rasputin Stash on Cotillion (yeah I said it, deal)

Why apologize? That IS a good album!

Others:
    Ripple (self-titled)
    Super Natural, Edwin Birdsong
    You're So Beautiful, Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band
    What's Up Front That-Counts, Counts
    Deliver The Word, War
    Black Merda
    Mindful, Maxayn
    Graham Central Station (self-titled)
    Talking To The People, Black Nasty
    Black Rock, Bar-Kays
    No Time To Burn, Black Heat

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    sometimes I have a hard time telling when soul stops and funk starts. I mean I know good funk has to got to have soul (just like the Borman 6 girl) but not all good soul is funky.

like, what's the difference between funk and funk-ay?

I have some of the records mentioned above but would probably consider them upbeat soul before I would think of them as funk. I know I can't really stand that wacka wacka sound (unless it's by Montgomery Express). what's the hell? do I need to go back to school?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I know I can't really stand that wacka wacka sound (unless it's by Montgomery Express).

See, to me, the "funk" tracks on that LP are pretty paint-by-the-numbers, and I usually skip past them in favor of the really haunting vocal numbers.

As far as funk LPs, I am of the mind that if you've got a dozen or so JB-related LPs, the first three Meters, and the first Kool and the Gang, then you are good. Watts 13rd Street Rhythm Band is cool, too. And I like the Marvin Holmes LP.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    sometimes I have a hard time telling when soul stops and funk starts. I mean I know good funk has to got to have soul (just like the Borman 6 girl) but not all good soul is funky.

like, what's the difference between funk and funk-ay?

I have some of the records mentioned above but would probably consider them upbeat soul before I would think of them as funk. I know I can't really stand that wacka wacka sound (unless it's by Montgomery Express). what's the hell? do I need to go back to school?

I was thinking the same thing. Here I thought I don't really have much funk by definition, but apparently a lot of what I always considered soul of some sort (funkay soul?) can also be considered funk.

What would Eddie Senay "Hot Thang" be considered? I would never have thought Maxayn and Sylvers were funk records. I need some funk education as well.

• Funkadelic "S/T" --------> "Cosmic Slop" Are these funk albums?

Is Black Merda/Merda funk?

Funkadelic "S/T" --------> "Cosmic Slop" Are these funk albums?

Nah--if those records were not made by Black groups, I don't think anybody would think twice about calling them "rock".

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    And I like the Marvin Holmes LP.

which one are you talking about?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Nah--if those records were not made by Black groups, I don't think anybody would think twice about calling them "rock".

I disagree about Funkadelic, those are some funky LP's and considering the group even had funk in their name (not to mention it's lead singer took on the alias of Dr. Funkenstein) its hard not to think of them as funk

And I like the Marvin Holmes LP.

which one are you talking about?

The readily available one with the pickled head on the cover.

I would never have thought Maxayn and Sylvers were funk records. I need some funk education as well.

All I can say is...

(a) Why NOT Maxayn? They're just about similar to most funk bands (with rockish overtones) of that era.

(b) True, those first three Sylvers albums (on the Pride label) have funky backing, and would fit in well in a funk set, but they are soul records through and through, IMO.

No hard & fast rule to this. Lotta grey areas (just like with anything). Can't just assume that every funk record is gonna remind you of the JB's and the Ohio Players, there are a lot of variables to the stuff but when you hear it, hopefully you'll know it.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Lots of reading if you have the time:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/list.php?category=Funk

I say start with the basics which means:

1. James Brown and all the affiliates: JB's, Marva Whitney

2. Dyke & The Blazers

Then all the off shoots:

1. Instrumental groups: Kool & The Gang - first couple, Nite-Liters

2. Others: Funkadelic, Ohio Players, Bar-Kays, etc.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Oh shit, I forgot the Meters as well.

About half the funk bands out there had distinct rock influences (hell, look at Sly & the Family Stone). The Bar-Kays titled an album Black Rock for a a damn good reason. Two of Jimmy Castor's RCA albums (Phase Two and It's Just Begun, had acid-rock fuzztone for days. At early '70s (white) rock festivals, or on FM rock stations, if there was ONE black band in the mix, it was usually a funk band, because aesthetically they had more in common with rock bands than some singing group in matching tuxedos. There's even an old ish of Hit Parader magazine from '71 which pinpointed "Black Rock" as the next big trend - and the article centered around Black Merda, the Bar-Kays and Funkadelic.

Yeah, I'm all for straight-up JB clones, and the jazz-fusion guys have their place, but the acid-rock influence on funk is usually swept under the rug by these trifling Roy Ayers fans - it's about time this was brought back into the light! Dig on that Chains & Black Exhaust compilation which focuses on this kind of sound.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I would never have thought Maxayn and Sylvers were funk records. I need some funk education as well.

All I can say is...

(a) Why NOT Maxayn? They're just about similar to most funk bands (with rockish overtones) of that era.

(b) True, those first three Sylvers albums (on the Pride label) have funky backing, and would fit in well in a funk set, but they are soul records through and through, IMO.

No hard & fast rule to this. Lotta grey areas (just like with anything). Can't just assume that every funk record is gonna remind you of the JB's and the Ohio Players, there are a lot of variables to the stuff but when you hear it, hopefully you'll know it.

I wouldn't say the records in question aren't funk, I'm just saying I wouldn't categorize them as funk before soemthing else.

I don't have the Maxayn album that was mentioned, I only have Bail Out For Fun and the self titled one (and this is the one I like more). My first thought when hearing it was "stony soul" with some rock overtones. Those Sylvers albums (1 and 2, I don't have 3 yet) are soul to me as well.

Of course the lines are hazy, I wasn't looking for a tutorial on funk necessarily, I'm just sort of curious as to what people 'round here consider "funk" is all.

I agree. When I was first getting into funk, I picked up Cosmic Slop with high expectations and was very dissapointed. Funkadelic has some great funk songs, but I think they're primarily a rock group.

About half the funk bands out there had distinct rock influences (hell, look at Sly & the Family Stone). The Bar-Kays titled an album Black Rock for a a damn good reason. Two of Jimmy Castor's RCA albums (Phase Two and It's Just Begun, had acid-rock fuzztone for days. At early '70s (white) rock festivals, or on FM rock stations, if there was ONE black band in the mix, it was usually a funk band, because aesthetically they had more in common with rock bands than some singing group in matching tuxedos. There's even an old ish of Hit Parader magazine from '71 which pinpointed "Black Rock" as the next big trend - and the article centered around Black Merda, the Bar-Kays and Funkadelic.

Yeah, I'm all for straight-up JB clones, and the jazz-fusion guys have their place, but the acid-rock influence on funk is usually swept under the rug by these trifling Roy Ayers fans - it's about time this was brought back into the light! Dig on that Chains & Black Exhaust compilation which focuses on this kind of sound.

Well, there's certainly funk with fuzzed-out or rock elements, but I don't think that describes Merda--what is it musically about Merda that would lead you to call it funk?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I don't disagree. I listed that range of albums for Funkadelic because the band becomes distinctly funk after that.

Things can be "funky" and not funk. The JB shit referenced is distinctly funk. And I have a strong (tell me if it's incorrect) tendency to think of the big Ohio Players and post-76 Parliafunkadelic joints as posterboy for funk type albums. Two distinct sounds right there (JBs/OPsParliafunkadelics).

Is "the best funk of 45"?

I am supremely interested in rock albums made by Black artists. Hopefully ones that sound soaked in acid.

I agree. When I was first getting into funk, I picked up Cosmic Slop with high expectations and was very dissapointed. Funkadelic has some great funk songs, but I think they're primarily a rock group.

When you first heard "Cosmic Slop," were you expecting it to sound like "One Nation Under A Groove '73"?

I'm not trying to start any shit, honestly, but just wondering...there are a lot of people like that...the frame of reference is the later semi-disco stuff that everybody knows, but then they get a load of "Maggot Brain" or "Funky Dollar Bill" and they're like, damn, where'd all this guitar come from?. When I used to work in a record store, we got a lot of used or returned Funkadelic albums on Westbound that way.

As far as Westbound-era Funkadelic being either funk or rock...I think they could shoot either way, to be truthful.

Well, there's certainly funk with fuzzed-out or rock elements, but I don't think that describes Merda--what is it musically about Merda that would lead you to call it funk?

The fatback drums of Tyrone Hite (on the first album; he left when it came time for the second, and even then whoever replaced him knew how to lock in with the bassist for that extra touch of soul)!

But seriously, I never thought their status as a funk band would be questioned; as with Funkadelic, I think they could go both ways.

Now Hendrix's Band of Gypsys...or the Next Morning...those are black ROCK bands fo' sho'...although people like to say that the Band of Gypsys were Hendrix's funk experiment, it still comes out of the wash as straight-up rock to me. But Funkadelic and Merda had a bit more happening on the funkdafied tip, to me.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    dare I say

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Is "the best funk on 45"?

Obviously

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    dare I say

It will be a great thing when that hairstyle comes back. It's utterly unstoppable.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    dare I say

stop n go is better than that.
    id have to ride with the superfly soundtrack

if that is not considered funk by you ghouls, i'll take first Meters LP

whoever mentioned rasputins stash in a best of anything thread (besides tepid turds) needs to get paddled by a midget

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    "cissy strut is an enigma"

gabe roth on the unison gtr/bass lines that are found in that classic jam.

big daddy #3 1999 shitty is sooooooo pretty article
    truer words never spoken

as if to say the meters are one of the few to get away with "that sound" which of course they invented/own

real funk is found in the wide world 45s so get to work

you guys are nice you have spent this much time putting this kid up and on the right track for the gutbucket jams we all love and live for

• There are so many...My favorite at the moment include:
    Baby Huey
    Ebony Rhythm Funk Capaign
    "across 110 street" JJ Johnson & Boby Womack

• kool & the gang - s/t
    the meters - look ka pye pye
    the nite liters - s/t
    the j.b.'s - damn right i'm somebody
    dennis coffy trio - hair and thangs
    s.o.u.l. - what is it
    the sylvers - II
    bill mason - gettin' off
    funk inc. - chicken licken'
    the mohawks - the champ

not the most rare but the most funky i.m.h.o.
    peace, stein. . .