Swizz rhythms

2»

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    this is just triplets

so is swing

I think that's kind of an oversimplification of swing.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Not really! At least, not any more than saying swizz is 'just' doing triplets is a simplification of this beat.

In the swing era, swing meant accented triplets (shuffle rhythm), suitable for dancing[/b]. With the development of bebop and later jazz styles independent of dancing, the term was used for far more general timings. There is much debate over use of other ratios than 2:1 in swing rhythms.

Some publishers of jazz music, especially those whose intended audience is people unfamiliar with jazz styles, transcribe the swing either:

As compound time, such as 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8. When played with the swing accent, these time signatures may be grouped together and called swing time, or swing time can also mean a simple time played with the swing convention.
    As triplets within a duple meter.
    In general, where music with a swing meter is required, musicians in the jazz tradition will prefer to read music written in common time and played with a swing, while musicians in the classical tradition will prefer to read music written in compound time and played as written.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    yall makin my nuts hurt with all this schitt

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts
    The concept of "swing" and rhythm in general is really no more complicated than how much space someone places between individual drum hits. That can be done by hand or with the help of quantization settings on whatever drum machine that person is using. I doesn't sound to me like Swizz is doing anything special with his drums, and next time you listen to a Dilla track, take into consideration that, from what I hear, he didn't use any sort of quantization settings for his sequences.

Thats a very technical answer my friend... especially for a guy who only recently bought a sampler... I will have to read it continuously for the next two days to understand it...

• okay, he doesn't just[/b] use triplets. he uses triplets that gradually get more space between them by the end of each bar. so visually it would look like this:

1--- 2--- 3--- 4---
    123 1.2.3. 1..2..3.. 1_2_3_

by the end of the measure you can see the wierd sound (think its a digi clave) is getting further off
    4 digits on the top= 4/4
    12 digits on the bottom row= 12/8

same beat different ways to write it.

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts
    I have always believed that technical musical questions are not appropriate for soulstrut... I have never read a good answer to any of them.

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts

1--- 2--- 3--- 4---

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    2) Swizzy himself claims to have made it a) in fifteen minutes and b) while drunk. Nothing wrong with that, though. Plenty of children get made in the exact same fashion, and there's nothing wrong with them either.

but only triplets right?

and after you make them you get sore nuts?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The swing is the absence of the music, the places where the drum is not, the area where the music breathes, the notes you do NOT hear. This is kind of oversimplifying it as well, but it's pretty much well regarded as one of the "cornerstones of truth" in the backbone of African rhythms that the way the notes and beats do not hit, the upswings, the spaces of pause, the way a rhythm stretches out and and gathers the momentum for movement, that all of this is just as important as the downbeats and the notes that are on the ones. Wish I could find my references in this, but it's very much true, and this is this "swing" that everyone talks about.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i like this simple definition, because jazz heads taught me that swing isn't just where the notes are or where they aren't, it's a feeling:

"play with a subtle and intuitively felt sense of rhythm"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i understood everything that written in this thread but i really don't understand what the fuck you guys are going on about although im sure if i listened to the song that might help

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The swing is the absence of the music, the places where the drum is not, the area where the music breathes, the notes you do NOT hear. This is kind of oversimplifying it as well, but it's pretty much well regarded as one of the "cornerstones of truth" in the backbone of African rhythms that the way the notes and beats do not hit, the upswings, the spaces of pause, the way a rhythm stretches out and and gathers the momentum for movement, that all of this is just as important as the downbeats and the notes that are on the ones. Wish I could find my references in this, but it's very much true, and this is this "swing" that everyone talks about.

And by the way, this is a pretty cool song. Those "snare" hits yall talking about sound like he's trying to do a Flexatone thing with it.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    okay, he doesn't just[/b] use triplets. he uses triplets that gradually get more space between them by the end of each bar. so visually it would look like this:

1--- 2--- 3--- 4---

by the end of the measure you can see the wierd sound (think its a digi clave) is getting further off
    4 digits on the top= 4/4
    12 digits on the bottom row= 12/8

same beat different ways to write it.

dude. what? Oh well, if it helps you to enjoy it more by thinking about it all crazy like that i guess thats cool.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Not really! At least, not any more than saying swizz is 'just' doing triplets is a simplification of this beat.

In the swing era, swing meant accented triplets (shuffle rhythm), suitable for dancing[/b]. With the development of bebop and later jazz styles independent of dancing, the term was used for far more general timings. There is much debate over use of other ratios than 2:1 in swing rhythms.

Some publishers of jazz music, especially those whose intended audience is people unfamiliar with jazz styles, transcribe the swing either:

As compound time, such as 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8. When played with the swing accent, these time signatures may be grouped together and called swing time, or swing time can also mean a simple time played with the swing convention.
    As triplets within a duple meter.
    In general, where music with a swing meter is required, musicians in the jazz tradition will prefer to read music written in common time and played with a swing, while musicians in the classical tradition will prefer to read music written in compound time and played as written.

Here's a better definition:

n music, a swung note or shuffle note is the rhythmic device in which the duration of the initial note in a pair is augmented and that of the second is diminished. A swing or shuffle rhythm is the rhythm produced by playing repeated pairs of notes in this way. Lilting can refer to swinging, but might also indicate syncopation or other subtle ways of interpreting and shaping musical time.

In some jazz music, especially of the big band era, there is a convention that pairs of written eighth notes are not played equally--as the notation would otherwise be understood--but with the first longer than the second. The first note of each of these pairs is often understood to be twice as long as the second, implying a quarter note-eighth note triplet feel, but in practice the difference is rarely that pronounced (see "amount of swing," below). This is an assumed convention of notation in many styles of jazz, but usually does not apply to jazz before the early 1930s, latin jazz, bebop, or to the work of composers writing in the 1950s or later, unless "swing" is specified in the score.

My point was that triplets is not necessarily synonymous with swing.

• listen, in the past 5 minutes I programmed this. you be the judge. was my triplet theory on point?

swizzy.mp3

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I really don't think it's that tricky, and it's really easy to do on an mp. In fact it kind of invites it.

Dope track though.