NYers - wtf is up with The Splasher?(graf related)

124»

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    yo drez. i was just thinking this.

i'm having a personnal dilemma w/ graffiti nowadays, tho. like dude said...originality is mega scarce right now. i think being conservative about graf is straight up retarded. i mean, it was all about innovation was'nt it. it's like these dudes that can't move past early 90s rap music. they just get left in the dust.

but fuggit...let's do some outline, digital fill, shines, 3d, forcefield shit

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I found some really embarrassing shit from my not so distant past. High School toydom!

Top 3 I was 15/16. Last one, 19/20?

• Delay, i'm realllllllly feelin' that top one,

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I used to have to drive up to Baltimore for those Holey Rollers. LOVE them things

I used to have to drive up to Baltimore for those Holey Rollers. LOVE them things

That's all we really had out my way. That and the coal trains I still wonder if the automobiles caught any of the spray.

they def caught spray, we got rolled one night in san jose, dude showed us the "damage" it causes, funny shit they could have been smart & sold em' as raer

Saying! Those things ALWAYS got hit too. I'm surprised they didn't have a less holy solution. They started coming out with those yellow joints in the late 90s, but even they didn't seem to protect the vehicles.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    This is my favorite thread in a LOOOOOONG while.

smile on my face the whole day.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

When I'm walking around in the city seeing thousands of throwups or tags most of them fail to stand out, which totally defeats the point of graffiti. And this gets back to what I was saying earlier, because if you have graffiti where there's never been graffiti before (death) it's gonna be powerful, but if you have graffiti on top of graffiti no one notices it unless it is: A.) huge in quantity (like the dude JA that was mentioned), B.) huge in quality (like that daim stuff, or something like mear1), or C.) totally different.

See, that's where I see you as disconnected and not really knowing enough about graff to understand it. A good writer doesn't have to be "art school good" or have a million throws running to be recognized. There's certain things to look for and certain aspects of style you can notice, how they choose spots ,who they go over, all this stuff is necessary in determining if somebody is dope, not just if their shit looks like computer art or they are up more than everybody in the city.

The thing is that because graffiti has been around for a minute now, and because styles can be found archived in books and webpages, and the tools can be bought in graffiti stores, it makes being original way tougher. I think originality is a big part of graffiti too; nobody likes a biter. Wild Style was originality, now it's pretty much status quo. To me there is a kind of, "Okay, what will it do next," thing in graffiti that needs to be resolved.

Styles have always been in books and mags since the early 80s. Writers have always handed down styles. Some famous writers would tell you that all writers bite to a certain extent, that's part of how the game advances. You take a little from the guys before you and put your spin on it. Wildstyle is not the "norm" anymore by any means, in fact, nowadays, in the streets, straight letters, blocks, and throw ups are the "status quo" of the bombing game. and going big. like huge roll outs and shit.

This is the homie from Canada. He paints trains and walls, and I think that this is pretty sick shit.

You know who's nice from Canada who just pretty much paints trains? Kwest. Fuckin' nasty, wildstyle wholecars and shit like that. I give train writers props but the real shit is street shit, always has been and always will be to me.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

That's all we really had out my way. That and the coal trains I still wonder if the automobiles caught any of the spray.

coal cars were always a little less dedication for a top to bottom. they were small and had that ledge you could stand on. You'd always walk away covered in black shit tho.

• choleracholera 101 Posts
    I just can't stand it when dudes are like "I like it when they do PICTURES but the rest of it is just ugly"

I would just like to give a MAJOR on this. Letter styles will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS beat out characters as the test of a real writer. I would rather see some crazy original handstyles, clean straight letters, or just some kid on smash through a city, than see some kid doing a couple characters on legal walls and getting props for it. No disrespect, but it's called being a 'writer' for a reason.

Some people knock cats who just get up... but lets see you spend 6 nights a week, emptying cans of flat black, entering parts of the city where most people wouldn't be caught after dark, by yourself in areas that you may not be fimiliar with, alone, all without getting real recognition from the public (under the guise of a different name than your govt name), expect by a handful of people who 'get it', and detested by the majority of the public. You have to REALLY respect that sort of dedication. Kings are not built over night. They're not built in the course of a few years. It takes upwards to a lifetime of being on smash. People catching wreck (yeah, I'm taking it back to 92) with throw-ups/original handstyles (it's hard as fuck to make an original looking tag nowadays, that really stands out) deserves a lot more respect than they get.

I really miss getting out there. This thread is making me feel a bit old, but I realllly am loving the conversation. Respect and love to everyone in this thread who put it down and those that are still putting it down.

• choleracholera 101 Posts
    Oh, and I would just like to say that, God I love graf.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

See, that's where I see you as disconnected and not really knowing enough about graff to understand it. A good writer doesn't have to be "art school good" or have a million throws running to be recognized. There's certain things to look for and certain aspects of style you can notice, how they choose spots ,who they go over, all this stuff is necessary in determining if somebody is dope, not just if their shit looks like computer art or they are up more than everybody in the city.

Point taken. Of course I'm gonna be disconnected on that level, because I don't write, I never have, but I've always enjoyed graff. At the same time though it seems to me that graff is about people outside of the graff circle upping your work. I'm never gonna be able to pick up on the nuances of going over someone you have beef with, or someone who went over something from your crew back in '92, but I definitely am aware when someone gets up on a ridiculous spot.

Styles have always been in books and mags since the early 80s. Writers have always handed down styles. Some famous writers would tell you that all writers bite to a certain extent, that's part of how the game advances. You take a little from the guys before you and put your spin on it. Wildstyle is not the "norm" anymore by any means, in fact, nowadays, in the streets, straight letters, blocks, and throw ups are the "status quo" of the bombing game. and going big. like huge roll outs and shit.

Of course styles get passed down and appropriated, my man John Cage would tell you that nothing is original, and I definitely stand by that. My point is that there's a difference between being a part of graffiti for real and understanding all those elements and intricacies, and just jacking them. When you have someone passing elements on to you theres dialog and regulation, and you most likely get regulated if you do some dumb shit. But when it's just some kids and the commodity of graffiti something is lost. But, I don't know if I can even stand by this dualistic point.

You know who's nice from Canada who just pretty much paints trains? Kwest. Fuckin' nasty, wildstyle wholecars and shit like that. I give train writers props but the real shit is street shit, always has been and always will be to me.

I don't know, I think they're two different forms. Painting trains has a romantic aspect in the sense that the work is just travelling around.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    thats what i'm talking about. Graf needs a microwave equivalent.

what about using a remote control airplane to skywrite?!!

Some more stolen flicks. All different kinds, style shit, trains, streets, roll outs, etc.

RIP nace

kwest wholecar

koze tko kuv

king157 and Acee rtd

koze holy roler

honke ibd

jher rtd

pysa and rime

rime and setup kcw

"jersey" by rime

dr sex and colt45

sever

steel holy roler "worm"

setup

norm

cbs

dr sex painted in the day:

zes saber revok msk

koze whole building (that's him standing there)

arms

mfg crew

zoueh tko rollout

espo sever

nyc

giant (sf skulls giant, not obey) on the muni

setup and mq

"TIE" RIP by MQ

begr

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    G Balliando those flicks are

BSM are the homies, and one of the only crews making noise around here these days.

Take 5 has been holding it down for years too!

Oh yeah, Take5 is dope, Vancouver, right? Or somewhere near there...

Anyway, I also wanna give some props to that OG Philly handstyle, that real schitt!