NYers - wtf is up with The Splasher?(graf related)

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I think it's funny when people are conservative about graffiti. there's no rules. infact, that's part of what made it so interesting.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

so what if someone feels the need to respond to their work in this way? i see it as a temporary move in an ongoing wall discussion. let's see what comes next.

Ultimately, I guess that is the bottom line. They are just destroying temporary images (ain't like they're taking out actual artists ... yet). My first instinct was to like what they were up to ... then I saw it as just as bourgeois as the art they defaced ... now I'm back to digging it again.

There is a finality to their actions. They're actually putting the knife in, ya know? And, unlike someone like Cap1, they offer a well articulated (though perhaps a bit "artschool") argument. I don't agree with them (they make rather large assumptions regarding the artists' intentions with their work and I like some of the stuff they've destroyed) but, nevertheless, I have to admire the almost visceral reaction their actions cause.

Ya know, one of my favorite De Niro movies is The King of Comedy because he plays a character that is so awful and embarrassing that I become literally uncomfortable watching him. I've always admired the power of that performance. I wouldn't compare the splasher to De Niro, to be sure. But, in a similar way, I have to admire their ability to get a charge out of people (including myself).

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Fuck.

And that's the first I heard about this "Splasher" having commercial roots, but if that's true, OH BUDDY... shit is gonna get REAL pretty quick.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

It's funny not one person they interviewed had a bad thing to say.

I didn't even know dude was still doing his thing out there.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    SILENCE!!!

youre on our side now. you will respect the bEAST!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    SILENCE!!!

youre on our side now. you will respect the bEAST!

oh shit....i thought you were talking about ket for a second. nevermind

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    YO. I need my Freakanomics back. you did'nt lose my spot did you?

lets meet up at the shop tomorrow?

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

Videograf!!! I still have all the og videos at home. Why did they fast forwards over all the funny parts?
    I've heard rumours that the Splasher shit is linked to Irak, but it's probably bullshit. Kinda messed up how they put glass shards in the wheatpaste, that will only mess with one person, the streetsweepers.
    I think the first person to do the fire extinguiser was Banksy, he had a step by step guide in one of his books.

• it'd be funny if Obey started making shirts with designs that had been splashed over.

• yeah...i like banksy, but you can't say...''woah, cool!" when he puts something up in a museum, and then be like, 'not fair,' when someone does it to him on the street.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I remember seeing some old footage from LA of some kid dissing a piece w/ an extinguisher, and all the sudden getting bucked at from down the road.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    He needs to quit

fo sho, dudes a fucking toy & he aint no graf head, good artist though but dude got clowned all over LA by real heads especially the homie MearOne...
    buff monster did not invent LA wheat paste & the fire exting spray has been around forever...

umm, i didn't say anything about buffmonster inventing anything or about fire extinguishers being a new thing. i said buffmosnter got his start wheatpasting over graff. i don't even like buffmonster anyway. or fairey. real graff writers, please.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Graff is dead.

Graff is dead.

Somebody should sample Iron Butterfly and make a song about it.

• okiba75okiba75 89 Posts
    Fuck that - anyone who claims to be extinguishing a bourgeois fad, by creating one of their own is

Just wait for the splasher street team and other assorted sack riders!

At least the local slashers here in Melb (CTSA) have a rather simple agenda. That is, trash everything regardless of the artist or quality. The only useful function the slashing serves is to open up a lot of walls which were previously left untouched due to the pieces left there.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I've always been impressed that this has been left alone:

I guess certain things remain sacred.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I've always been impressed that this has been left alone:

I guess certain things remain sacred.

I used to think this would stay untouched but nope.

It's gradually gotten worse every year and now it's completely fucked.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

one of my biggestpet peeves about taggers out here. Dudes tag the shit out of mural all over the freeway. some seriously weak shit, who the fuck respects that type of shit?

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts

DUDES JUST NEED TO UP THERE WHEAT PASTING GAME AND GO OVER THE SPLASHER SHIT, IT'S ABOUT GETTING UP, BATCHES IT DON'T MATTER WHEN IT'S IN THE STREET, YOU GOT THE FLICK MOVE ON.... IT'S ABOUT MORE THAT'S JUST PART OF THE GAME....

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Graff is dead.

You haven't seen the Bay Area lately if you are making a statement like that.

Graff is dead.

I took this as a joke about all of the Hip Hop is Dead threads.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

one of my biggestpet peeves about taggers out here. Dudes tag the shit out of mural all over the freeway. some seriously weak shit, who the fuck respects that type of shit?

I believe that thsi mural was part of the anti-graffiti campaign of LA, so that shit is fare game to get got in my book.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Graff is dead.

I took this as a joke about all of the Hip Hop is Dead threads.

Thank you.

But for real - I used to write in junior high and I had fun with it and it was a creative expression- but all this beef shit is and was always kinda childish. I gotta laugh about grown-ass men getting upset about getting buffed. Don't you have bill$ to pay? Aren't you getting laid?

And these "professional street artists" deserve to get a little hate (criticism) if you ask me.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Neck Face can get DISSED.

Neckface is lame.

ReadmoreBooks has the sick hangover rollers though.

Is Skuf still a killer in NYC? He be makin' heads MAD about it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I think Skuf lives in my neighborhood cause I always see fresh tags around my way. Skuf the shit. I seen some new tags he copped with JA over on Flatbush recently.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Neck Face can get DISSED.

Neck face is ugly. Tagged up my front door.

Whaddup FUEOGOCRACKER?????!!!!!!!!

USPS Priority Mail Sticker Taggers get the gasface. Sorry DUNE.

Wello = Lame-o

Pablo Fiasco = Worldwide.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

USPS Priority Mail Sticker Taggers

So 1994.