galt macdermot - coffee cold
    the heptones - country boy
    public enemy - PE number one
    macka b - i don't like reggae
    james brown - the lowdown popcorn
    nina simone - ooh child
    joe cuba sextet - bang bang

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    ive got 67 songs ready, waiting to go on mix cd's (i still dont do ipods, still make cds for the car)- just have to come up with playlists. these 10 are from that 67:

cryan shames "greenburg, glickstien, charls, davis smith, and jones"
    beatles "rain" (acapella + bass bootleg mix)
    demigodz "well, well, well"
    gale garnett + the gentle rain "my minds own morning"
    rock-a-teens "whoo-hoo"
    fever tree "man who paints the pictures"
    tim rose "hey joe"
    magazine 60 "don quichotte"
    aires of dartmouth college "something"
    harell singers "there is a land" (***anyone got a non-digitally-messed-up copy of this on wav or mp3? mines from the awesome 'hold out' mix, but it sounds like the source cd had digital issues...so sad as its one of the most devastating gospel tracks ive evar heard.)

• Earth Last Messengers ??? The Black Disciples / Hypocrites-Brezinsky Dub
    Amy Winehouse feat Ghostface - You know I'm no good
    The Vibrettes - Humpty Dump
    OV Wright - Ace of Spades
    The UMC's - One to grow on
    Lalomie Washburn - Try my love
    Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators - If this ain't love (Don't know what is)
    Kano - I'm ready
    Nas - Get down
    The Bamboo's - Memphis Soul Stew (Live)

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Whitefield Brothers-Prowlin' (Soul Fire Lp)
    Bob Andy-You Don't Know (Green Door 7")
    Winston Wright & The Crystalites-Cotton Comes To Harlem (Crystal 7")
    Nas-Represent
    Jay Z-Kingdom Come
    The Game-300 Bars and Runnin'
    Main Source-Fakin' The Funk
    Dennis Brown-Cheater (Impact 7")
    Hopeton James-Queen of the Minstrel (Soljie 7") Great digital version of a reggae CLASSIC!
    Trinity-Starsky and Hutch (Belmont 7") Death in the Arena Riddim!

• i've been working too much to listen to music for the last couple weeks. sad, but necessary at times.

but, i will take this opportunity to say that the following two mixes have kept me going this winter:

Talented 10th JB mis on Mad Decent Radio
    a
    n
    d
    Drewnice, 'People Music II: enchanted Soul'. Work would have been prettttttttttttttty dull the last two weeks if not for those. thanks, fellas.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i forgot to add that new fat joe & lil weezy make it rain song, just heard it on the radio so far.
    kellz verse on the remix fucking murders that shit

i been trying to say

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    R KELLY - I'M A FLIRT (REMIX)

HOUNDDOG - EDDIE'S GONE

RAY CHARLES - LONELY AVENUE

CHUBBY CHECKER - NO NEED TO GET SO HEAVY

KINGS OF LEON - KNOCKED UP

JEANETTE - PORQUE TE VAS (i forgot who posted this up but thank you)

LITTLE BOB - PLEASE BELIEVE ME

LIL' SCRAPPY - OH YEAH, E40 VERSE

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts

harell singers "there is a land" (***anyone got a non-digitally-messed-up copy of this on wav or mp3? mines from the awesome 'hold out' mix, but it sounds like the source cd had digital issues...so sad as its one of the most devastating gospel tracks ive evar heard.)

The mix was mine, I recorded it from vinyl to MP3 then played it on Windows media player and recorded it to WAV onto Total Recorder, then back to MP3 to download, thats why it sounds so lame, I have put a high quality MP3 link below for you, if you would like a CD proper of 'Hold Out' drop me a PM or Email: [email]Peter.Beaver@ntlworld.com[/email] and I will send you one out, just PayPal me the shipping fee!!

http://funkthebeaver.com/Harrell_Singers.mp3

Cheers

Pete

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Nice and Smooth ??? ???Cash In My Hand???
    With his ???pack ???em in like Duran Duran??? line in this effort (from 1992!), and his ???selling out shows like John Mellencamp??? elsewhere (in 1994!), Greg Enn Eye proves himself a worthy forebearer in the long tradition of Rap Dudes Who Really Aren???t Up On Their Rock Music (see also ???I pack ???em in mean / like Bruce Springsteen??? from 1989, all the way up to ???Young! F.O.B.!??? from???jesus, does it matter when?). Nonetheless, I will ride ???til death for these dudes, and this song is infinitely communicable, plus bouncy as fuck with that little only-in-the-90s keyboard bubble. And for whatever reason, I cannot listen to this song without imagining Peter Sellers uprocking to it. (In a side note: Where my dudes at that still say ???ism???? Come on now, be honest.)

Sly and the Family Stone ??? ???Love City???
    ???All these wonderful people / singing all these wonderful songs???
    O.G.
    Jeffrey Lyons Edit (no panning!)

Loose Joints ??? ???Is It All Over My Face? (Unreleased Demo Version)???
    It???s like watching for twelve minutes the formation of a rapidly and endlessly uncoiling redwood-thick disco constrictor, with a liquid cello spine and every scale pinprick-illuminated by the gulp and smack of overripened and overtightened tabla. When that little guitar figure pulls the sheet off the title phrase around the two-and-a-half-minute mark, there???s this dark press and flood that???s just irresistible. Seriously, this is like one of those frog-boiling Willie Colon records or something; none of the elements seems overtly wild on its own, but they just keep stacking and stacking, ever so gradually, dropping out and them sneaking back in a little more jagged and complex than before, mounting with this kind of shifty intensity that you don???t really realize until you???re deep in the teeth of it and you catch your own attention for a split second and realize how fucking enormous it???s all become, and how far gone you really are. But, I mean, beautifully.

Diddy ??? ???Last Night???
    I first heard this???well before I knew who it was (please believe, I???m not disconnected so much as I am utterly unconnected)--from deep in the backseat of a cabride from Midway, in the middle of some apparently throwed-back radio show with Prince and Jamie Principle and Chip E. and the like, a context in which it made perfect sense: heartbroken youngish black dude fronting as world-weary, vaguely English-inflected (???ex-spreh-shahn???) robot, with sympathetic synth chords sobbing in the background and somebody???s cousin with a catch in her voice emoting with perfect imperfection over everything. Dude was even singing about the telephone--how could this not be 1986? It was propulsive and sad and minor-key and a little bit chintzy-sounding and beaty and unsatisfied and all those things, and it took me right back. When I found out who it was and when it was from, I was pretty gobsmacked. Yeah, I know there???s like a dozen things that should have tipped me off as to the true vintage, but I think on some level I wanted to be fooled; love is blindness, you know? To me, a major-label eccentricity like this song is some kind of wonderful mystery object; like, Who is this for? Who is the audience? And how is this on the radio in 2007?

Fleetwood Mac ??? ???Dreams???
    There lies within me a summer country with a perfect blue topaz of public swimming pool at its heart, and near the edge of this pool is a modest grey radio with that single small flame of fluorescent orange marking its cassette center, and that radio plays an endless loop of this song, Steely Dan???s ???Do It Again,??? Jefferson Starship???s ???Miracles,??? and perhaps a handful more. One day I may go there and make like Al Stewart and throw away my choice and lose my ticket and will thus have to stay on. Until then, I keep my visions to myself.

Jackson Five ??? ???All I Do Is Think Of You??? / Jay Dee ??? ???Time (The Donut of the Heart)???
    The best thing about a good chop is that, like doo-wop, it has this weird, elusive quality. Like, all of the pieces are there, and it registers with your ear as a complete expression, but when you try to parse it and separate it all out and figure out exactly where it all comes together and locks in and becomes complete, you can???t, really???there is no center, there are just pieces leaning on one another in order to stand up. It???s a simple example, but it???s my example: I remember many years ago using some janky Roland something trying to recreate the ???Champ??? chop that Domingo used for ???Step Into A World,??? and that shit drove me batty (relax, bwoy). I could hear all the notes in there, but I just could not get to them (Denis Johnson: ???That world! ...Yes, I can touch it with my fingers. But where is it???? Large Professor: ???It???s there for you.???). My own aggravation notwithstanding, I realized that that slipperiness was precisely why I found it so compelling. So much in life is settled and mapped and searchable, and true mystery and true unattainability is so rare, that to be confronted with something that you really desire but really cannot get to the heart of is a pretty remarkable thing. It???s the worst kind of frustrating all tangled up in the best kind of energizing. And that???s why I love the Jay Dee cut: I can hear it all???the exhale from over here, the inhale from back there, the ???oooh??? sound clipped from the middle of a drawn-out ???you??????but I cannot grasp it. I know that it???s all nonsense, two- or three-word phrases gutted and reconstituted as wordlessness, pure phonics, but even still, I swear to god: it speaks. Somehow, it speaks. There was a week last summer when I probably listened to it fifty times a day (and by ???fifty??? I don???t mean ???a lot??????I mean ???five times ten???), and it is still completely beyond me. ???I begin to take the long way home / So I can be alone / To think of how"[cut]

Ellipsis ??? ???People???
    Sunshine drunk straight from the carton. And horns bright enough to make life sound like a steeplechase that one actually has a chance of winning.

Faun Fables ??? ???Sleepwalker???
    I heard this at a bookstore, but the counter dude was sufficiently dickheaded that I didn???t want to validate him even a little bit by asking ???Hey, who is this????, so I had to google it like some commoner. Not my usual shit at all, with vocals that hang a little heavily upon the pubic hair of Chan Marshall and lyrics that do it with the druid fluid (???portals all aglow????), but no matter how overreaching or overproduced or (as here) overwrought, a simple question rendered in plain speech can have a way of jarring you out of your listenership and making you think even for just a second that there might be something to answer for. Done right, there can be no defense, no cool, nowhere to hide:

???Am I the fire or just another flame????

???Do you have faith in God above????

???Why didn???t you stay????

???Have you been making out okay????

???Why did you have to be a heartbreaker, when I was being what you want me to be????

and, lastly, here:

???Where did our dreams go, so de ar????

DJ B.Cause ??? Super Disco Hyphy
    To understand how much I like this, it???s important to understand how very much I wanted to dislike it, on some ???Rapapellas over disco? Oh, how novel???-type blas??-blah. No offense to Mr. Cause, I???m just naturally contrary (Midwesterner By Birth, Hater By The Grace Of???Yo, Fuck That Dude!). I can???t even front, though???this shit sounds San Frantastic. The rapps emphasize the disco muscle, and that heavy disco roll in turn puts the wave under the Water, and the whole thing just sounds like a thirty-year-long poarty (yes, there is The Struggle, but there is also The Dance). Excellent work, dude.

Camp Lo ??? ???Lo Lean???
    Not really ???about??? anything more than arabesque and filligree and show-off and the ability to do it all real good. But, in its own way, still kinda vast.

CONSEQUENTIAL DATA
    (In no particular order)

- I overheard a dude down at Dr. Wax asking if they had any ???Terry Caul-yay.??? Oof.

- Fuck a quad, who???s got better treble: Bomb Squad or Marley Marl? The Bomb Squad had their moments, and maybe had more of a ???signature??? high end, but for sheer consistency and finch-killing relentlessness, I have to go with Marley.
    House Of Hits = more neighbor complaints than DJ Magic Mike???s entire catalog. Feel that.

- Bright Moment #1: In Gamith???s ???Darkness,??? halfway through the break, when the vocalist yells ???Hump with it!???, and the drummer starts leaning extra hard on the cymbal.

- Bright Moment #2: In the first minute or two of Gwen Guthrie???s ???Seventh Heaven,??? when Larry Levan or whoever is dub-fucking with the echo on the drums, there???s a split second where the decaying echo syncopates perfectly with the main beat and creates this great little hop, sounding kinda like that little stutter scratch on the
    Wild Style soundtrack immediately following ???Please, Mister Grand Wizard, please / give a little taste to the young ladies??????

- Bright Moment #3: In the last verse of Sergio Mendes???s ???The Real Thing,??? Lani Hall (I think) singing, so very plainly, ???Let me hear you say ???Baby, everything???s gonna be all right???.???

- I have female friends who suddenly act like their jokes aren???t funny when they get around men. I
    hate that shit.

- Probably the best lyrics I???ve heard in the last twelve months: ???Is someone getting the best of you???? from that Foo Fighters jernt. I don???t find it very interesting as the for-everyone-who???s-ever-been-cheated sufferer???s song that it largely gets taken for, but I initially heard it as, like,
    are you giving someone your best?, which I find a pretty compelling question. Whatever it is that you consider ???your best??????that is, the most vital part of you, your gift--are you sharing that with someone? Who? Or are you, like most of us, keeping it for yourself?

- One of the best, most indelible
    phrases I???ve read in the last twelve months: ???electro mack cosmos.???

- In a related note: Carf*gna, Carn*han, Cast*llo. The ???Car-Cas??? page of my city???s phone book > The ???Car-Cas??? page of your city???s phone book.

- Perhaps my all-time dream collaboration: Ghostface rocking over doubles of ???Crosstown Traffic,??? with Frankie Lymon singing the hook.

- While I???m on some bullshit, here???s an Unsolicited Diss of peacefulr*tation: I???VE HEARD THE STORIES, AND I???VE SEEN THE PICTURES, AND I???M TELLING YOU: YOUR EYEBROWS ARE *NOT* ALL THAT. I HAVEN???T LIFTED THE SCISSORS IN WEEKS AND AM CURRENTLY FLOSSING SOME MULTI-TENTACLED DUNWICH HORROR SHITS???SOME ???RECKLESS / MIGHT SNATCH YOUR NECKLACE??? SHIT. I MEAN, I CAN???T EVEN KEEP MY GLASSES ON, WHOADIE. SF AIN???T REALLY GOT THAT BERT, SON, SO BEST TO FALL BACK. YEAH, THAT JUST HAPPENED.

- Note to Mike2600: Please please prettyplease fuck with this. Timbaland pussed out and jacked the wrong part, fronting completely on the little chord shift around the 1:25 mark. This concerns melancholy chord changes and video games; you are our only hope.

- Everything I need to know about courtship, I learned from The Professor: 1) Always look for a) ruby lips b) shapely hips and c) a mushroom hare-dew; 2) Sometimes you ???gotta treat ???em like their own damn dad???; 3) ideal first-date activity: foxtrotting in the lounge.

- What???s up with dudes who have been listening to rap for a long time yet still have no way with words?

- Those St. Vincent???s Latinaires drums on ???Broasted Or Fried???? Oh my god???those things sound like they???d eat your garbage. Monstrous.

- To all of my records: Of late, I can???t stand you. You???re lovers turned aunts, every one of you.

"But all this is not very real."

- You know how James Brown sounds when he yells
    ???Wait! Wait!??? during ???Get Involved? Like a man who knows that the train won???t stop? My entire year has felt just like that.

- Peace to Henry; may you be carried from Mount Blanik to heaven on amber waves of Seven-and-7.

- Rosemary, please know that I think of you all the time.

- Someone: ???Forgive me for making this letter so long; I did not have time to make it short.???

- Chev: ???Writing is a hobby, yes that shit is a
    must![i] (James!)???

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

6."ham hocks & beans"-chuck womack & the sweet souls-Quantic remix(disjoint)

the og is

• ghostface: ghost is back
    mark ronson & alex greenwald: just
    fatback band: spanish hustle
    eric burdon & war: spill the wine
    count bass d: junkies
    steady diggin workshop feat shaun abu: simple as that
    sharon jones & the dap kings: your thing is a drag
    ralph ripshit feat dubble edge: kiss the guns
    morgan heritage & bounty killa: guns in the ghetto
    cymande: brothers on the slide.

loads of other ish on rotation, ge:ology plays ge:ology is keeping me entertained in the car, quality mix.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Eye-Shaking King - Amon D?-l II
    L??t I H-Moll - Bjorn Olsson
    Up From the South - Budos Band
    The Butcher-s Boy - Buell Kazee (Anothology of American Folk- )
    Nothing Like This - Dilla
    Blue Honey - Pop Levi
    Coptic Times - Bad Brains (Live at the Paradiso version)
    Meydan Sizindir - Selda Bagcan
    Francoise Hardy - Shawn Lee
    I Trim The Barber - King Tubby

• Loose Joints ??? ???Is It All Over My Face? (Unreleased Demo Version)???
    It???s like watching for twelve minutes the formation of a rapidly and endlessly uncoiling redwood-thick disco constrictor, with a liquid cello spine and every scale pinprick-illuminated by the gulp and smack of overripened and overtightened tabla. When that little guitar figure pulls the sheet off the title phrase around the two-and-a-half-minute mark, there???s this dark press and flood that???s just irresistible. Seriously, this is like one of those frog-boiling Willie Colon records or something; none of the elements seems overtly wild on its own, but they just keep stacking and stacking, ever so gradually, dropping out and them sneaking back in a little more jagged and complex than before, mounting with this kind of shifty intensity that you don???t really realize until you???re deep in the teeth of it and you catch your own attention for a split second and realize how fucking enormous it???s all become, and how far gone you really are. But, I mean, beautifully.

There's a lot to this post, but I dare not touch any part of it, save the above...where the fuck did you get this track? I can't listen at work, but I can't wait. I'm still trying to unravel the first sentence.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    where the fuck did you get this track?

I don't know, really. A few years ago, this dude (cough, cough) was nice enough to burn me a cd that had (the hitherto unknown to me) "Pop Your Funk" on it, and my wig was unfastened enough that I went on this frenzied soulseek hunt for "loose+joints", which coughed up the above track. I've had it floating around since, and have been assuming that it's available somewhere out there in Interweb Land. I don't know any specifics, but it's twelve minutes and sounds pretty clean, so maybe it saw light as a cd bonus track or something.

EDIT 1: Apparently it can be had on David Mancuso Presents The Loft, Volume I.

EDIT 2: There's a dude in my office who's a dead ringer for a pre-gaffling Francis Grasso. He's got the curly Roger Clinton mullet, NYC accent and the whole nine. The resemblance would be spooky, were it not so irrelevant.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Jimmy Ruffin- What Becomes of the Broken-Hearted
    Jimmy Entley Sound- Charlie's Theme
    Dj Premier- Classics
    NYGz- G'z Hustlaz
    Hi-tension- Girl I betcha
    Aretha Franklin- Rock Steady
    Grant Green- Let the Music take your Mind
    Willie Colon and Reuben Blades- Plastico

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

DJ B.Cause ??? Super Disco Hyphy
    To understand how much I like this, it???s important to understand how very much I wanted to dislike it, on some ???Rapapellas over disco? Oh, how novel???-type blas??-blah. No offense to Mr. Cause, I???m just naturally contrary (Midwesterner By Birth, Hater By The Grace Of???Yo, Fuck That Dude!). I can???t even front, though???this shit sounds San Frantastic. The rapps emphasize the disco muscle, and that heavy disco roll in turn puts the wave under the Water, and the whole thing just sounds like a thirty-year-long poarty (yes, there is The Struggle, but there is also The Dance). Excellent work, dude.

My feelings exactly--and that was before I learned that it was all done without benefit of 'puter trickery.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I'll do top ten rap since my other listening habits have been all over the place lately and I can't remember everything sitting by the turntable.

No order:

Paul Wall feat. and prod. by Jermaine Dupree - I'm Throwed
    Cam'ron and Hell Rell - Cha-ching Cha-ching
    UGK - The Game Belongs to Me
    JR Writer - Put It Back In Motion
    Mobb Deep - The Gold (DJ Clue killed the beat, love it)
    Rich Boy - Throw Some D's (album remix)
    Jim Jones - Emotionless (feat. Juelz)
    Rick Ross - Boss (Old, I know, but so much fun. Do what ya like BOWSE)
    Jeezy - Go Getta/J.E.E.Z.Y. (usually listen to back to back so they count as one)
    Trick Daddy - Chevy

Honorable mentions because they are remixes:

Hell Rell - Stuntin' Like My Daddy
    40 Cal - U and Dat (kufi smackin' remix, holy shit this is great for those who have not heard it)
    Jim Jones - Walk It Out

i forgot to add that new fat joe & lil weezy make it rain song, just heard it on the radio so far.
    kellz verse on the remix fucking murders that shit

Noit to mention his emphatic singing over the chorus. Robert REALLY likes to sing about making it "rain" on them hos. Great track.

LIL' SCRAPPY - OH YEAH, E40 VERSE

"I smoke herb like a hippy, I drink like a pirate"

• Sandaly Kante et Nmawa Kante - Foudou!?!
    Monia Monica - Sim Woe
    Kouyate Sory et Son Ensemble - Bewilabarayila
    The Superbs - Baby Baby All the Time
    Edwin Starr - Running Back and Forth
    Yasukazu Amemiya - Monochrome Sea
    Trio Bydoli - O Yam
    Tom Ze - Ma
    Pambou Tchicaya Tchico and Lola Lolitta - Felicia
    Felt - I Worship the Sun

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Eddie Hazel-"California Dreamin'"
    Prodigy-"7th Heaven"
    Sean price-"look at the mess you made"
    Yutoka-"Breath of Light"
    Fathers Children-"Got To get away from here"
    Snoop Dogg-"Crazy"
    Mobb Deep-"speak so freely"
    Rick James-"HollyWood"
    The Game-"Soundscan DISS"
    Nas-"Still Dreaming"

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Faun Fables ??? ???Sleepwalker???
    I heard this at a bookstore, but the counter dude was sufficiently dickheaded that I didn???t want to validate him even a little bit by asking ???Hey, who is this????, so I had to google it like some commoner. Not my usual shit at all, with vocals that hang a little heavily upon the pubic hair of Chan Marshall and lyrics that do it with the druid fluid (???portals all aglow????), but no matter how overreaching or overproduced or (as here) overwrought, a simple question rendered in plain speech can have a way of jarring you out of your listenership and making you think even for just a second that there might be something to answer for. Done right, there can be no defense, no cool, nowhere to hide:

???Am I the fire or just another flame????

???Do you have faith in God above????

???Why didn???t you stay????

???Have you been making out okay????

???Why did you have to be a heartbreaker, when I was being what you want me to be????

and, lastly, here:

???Where did our dreams go, so dear????

saw these people live last year, didn't know what I was in for, total live theatre event, background visuals, costumes, projectors displaying different scenes to the songs, all in a democratic club.

I would like to get more of this.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    No particular order

Carwash Blues-Jim Croce
    My Block-Scarface
    Feel The Need In Me-Detroit Emeralds
    Ain't No Woman-Four Tops
    Move Me No Mountain-Love Unlimited
    To Know You Is To Love You-Syreeta
    Grace of God-Hellacopters
    Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight-Bob Dylan
    Giving It All Up For You-J Giels Band
    The American In Me-Avengers

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    inno patickla odor:

01. cymande - one more
    02. osunlade - crazy for you (prince nelson mix)
    03. robin thicke - cocaine (spruce lee remix)
    04. feist - leisure suite
    05. peter bjorn & john - young folks (feat. victoria bergsman)
    06. change - searching
    07. iman - who was i trying to fool
    08. steve spacek - dollar
    09. christopher williams - i'm dreaming
    10. yosaku - malembe (work in progress)

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Carwash Blues-Jim Croce

!LunchboxMoustacheJeanJacketHardTimeLoserMan!

Yes. Jim Croce.

I've been wondering this for a while and haven't been able to suss out any sense--perhaps you can help me? My butch dyke cousin, who's fifteen years my senior, made me a tape--like, back in the '80s--of songs, and one of the tunes was a cover of "I Wanna Be Your Dog" with a female singer. (I don't think it was the Sonic Youth cover.) I could swear the tape credited "Avengers." I know the Penelope Houston Avengers and then there's The Avengers from L.A. (c.'60s). Can you illuminate me? I wanna get some dog back in my life.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Carwash Blues-Jim Croce

!LunchboxMoustacheJeanJacketHardTimeLoserMan!

Yes. Jim Croce.

I've been wondering this for a while and haven't been able to suss out any sense--perhaps you can help me? My butch dyke cousin, who's fifteen years my senior, made me a tape--like, back in the '80s--of songs, and one of the tunes was a cover of "I Wanna Be Your Dog" with a female singer. (I don't think it was the Sonic Youth cover.) I could swear the tape credited "Avengers." I know the Penelope Houston Avengers and then there's The Avengers from L.A. (c.'60s). Can you illuminate me? I wanna get some dog back in my life.

Was it live? I seem to remember a live bootleg where the Penelope Huston Avenger's did a live version of 'I Wanna Be Your Dog', it may have been the Winterland show when they opened for the Sex Pistols (last Pistols show). Other than that I am of no help, as I can't say I have heard it. I CAN recommend Joan Jett's version on her LP "Up Your Alley"!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Was it live? I seem to remember a live bootleg where the Penelope Huston Avenger's did a live version of 'I Wanna Be Your Dog', it may have been the Winterland show when they opened for the Sex Pistols (last Pistols show). Other than that I am of no help, as I can't say I have heard it. I CAN recommend Joan Jett's version on her LP "Up Your Alley"!

To tell the truth it's been years (I lost all my tapes in the early '90s when I moved out of my apartment and into my Chevy, just before moving into nothing) and I can't remember much besides liking it and that I thought it was credited to the Avengers. I'll check the live recording. Thanks.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Head On - KGB
    Portland 69 - Hunger
    Man Song - Mary Travers
    What Do I Wish For - Chi-Lites
    Sealed with a Kiss - Bobby Vinton
    Say Something - Black Milk
    Child of God - Millie Jackson
    Now You're Gone - Curtis Mayfield
    To Know You Is To Love You - Syreeta/Stevie Wonder (haha, me too!)
    Can't You See - Total

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

05. peter bjorn & john - young folks (feat. victoria bergsman)

Having a hard time getting this song outta my head lately...