At What point in your life did you realize...

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
you were addicted to records?being that many of us here would and have scoffed at people for having less than 100 lp's it's safe to say that we have shown our music obsessions many times over; People here needing to possess originals, cop over 10 albums a week and then have a favorite searches on ebay with nothing but album titles and artists means we got some people here who got a problem (and not in a bad way)for me I'd say the moment I realized I was a music addict is when I noticed my LP collection hit the 500 mark. Other notable moments:when I was planning my move and packed my vinyl before anything else.when I bought my 2nd expeditwhen I first spent $50 on an albumthe 2nd time I woke up before sunrise to go to a record swapso when did you realize that you have a problem?

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    When I searched every single entry at the record finders web site (must have been 100,000) when I first got internet connected. in the literal sense.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    $$$ related
    go dig at a store and put aside a whopping ammount
    ebay overspending and then adding up the numbers

and when I 'stopped' and told friends/relatives 'i am done..i have enough...' and other white lies

its sad its beautiful its the story of our lives

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    when i bought a 4 bedroom house and still had issues finding space.

actually, it was way before that, but that's definitely the highest/lowest point in my struggle with the disease.

• robbed a guy's house solely for records. got some good shit, too. I hate those fucking record "hoarders" that hold records HOSTAGE. Fuck that. dude had at least 20,000 records in his shit ass house and triple that in a shed in the back. I mean, dude could have sold every record he had for 0.50 a pop and it would have surpassed the amount of his home. jeez..

so...

We waited until he went to one of those record shows and had a boy go to the record show just to keep an eye on him. Then me and my other boy scoped his 'hood for a while to make sure nobody would see us. Luckily, it was a shit-ass 'hood, so nobody really cared what we were doing.....the crackheads/dealers were distracting the people. And, it was a Sunday (bible belt). We had 2 trucks (SUVs), backed all the way into the backyard (no gate) the cracked the lock on the shed. It was one of those 2 story sheds, so it took us a while and because we we looking for specific stuff. The shed had his sealed, soul and hip hop records. It took us about a half hour to get what we wanted....we got about a thousand records.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I hate those fucking record "hoarders" that hold records HOSTAGE

Yeah, what the fuck? I'm gonna start giving my shit
    away RIGHT NOW. All you Boston heads, come on over!
    I'm sick of hoarding this shit! TAKE IT AWAY!!!

And what's up with furniture "hoarders" - people who have
    like a sofa AND a loveseat?? Let's jack those fuckers!!
    TEACH THEM A FUCKING LESSON ABOUT "OWNING POSSESIONS!"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    robbed a guy's house solely for records. got some good shit, too. I hate those fucking record "hoarders" that hold records HOSTAGE. Fuck that. dude had at least 20,000 records in his shit ass house and triple that in a shed in the back. I mean, dude could have sold every record he had for 0.50 a pop and it would have surpassed the amount of his home. jeez..

so...

We waited until he went to one of those record shows and had a boy go to the record show just to keep an eye on him. Then me and my other boy scoped his 'hood for a while to make sure nobody would see us. Luckily, it was a shit-ass 'hood, so nobody really cared what we were doing.....the crackheads/dealers were distracting the people. And, it was a Sunday (bible belt). We had 2 trucks (SUVs), backed all the way into the backyard (no gate) the cracked the lock on the shed. It was one of those 2 story sheds, so it took us a while and because we we looking for specific stuff. The shed had his sealed, soul and hip hop records. It took us about a half hour to get what we wanted....we got about a thousand records.

I got this alias down to either JP, Rapedonkeys, or Fatback, can you please please give us one more hint

• I hate those fucking record "hoarders" that hold records HOSTAGE

Yeah, what the fuck? I'm gonna start giving my shit
    away RIGHT NOW. All you Boston heads, come on over!
    I'm sick of hoarding this shit! TAKE IT AWAY!!!

And what's up with furniture "hoarders" - people who have
    like a sofa AND a loveseat?? Let's jack those fuckers!!
    TEACH THEM A FUCKING LESSON ABOUT "OWNING POSSESIONS!"

come on dude...I mean those fucking guys that do NOTHING with em, but fucking look at 'em die on shelves. I liberated those records from a long, dust-ladden death!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    robbed a guy's house solely for records. got some good shit, too. I hate those fucking record "hoarders" that hold records HOSTAGE. Fuck that. dude had at least 20,000 records in his shit ass house and triple that in a shed in the back. I mean, dude could have sold every record he had for 0.50 a pop and it would have surpassed the amount of his home. jeez..

so...

mos felonius first poast ever

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

mos felonius

That's the dude Harvey Canal was hyping in
    last week's Austin Chronicle, right?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

so...

Why you snitchin'on your self ma dude?

• Addicted to records? Well I'm thirty five and I've had records since I was a baby. Story book records, sesame street, etc. I used to play with my moms records, as well.

When the early eighties came I got into tapes. You know, walkman, boombox, but I still usually got the record version, too. I hated to fast forward. A needle drop was better.

I only got with cd's in '97 because nobody had cassette players anymore, which meant, no mixtape sales. That's why I got my first cd burner/player.

I don't think I really have an addictive personality. I used crack, speedballs, whatever. Got pretty deep but when it was time to quit, I quit on my own. No problem.

I even quit smoking cigarrettes. Amazing.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

mos felonius

That's the dude Harvey Canal was hyping in
    last week's Austin Chronicle, right?

I went to my local real schitt shoppe this weekend and asked for the following HarveyCanal approved artists

-Fishing Fred
    -Plowing Paris
    -wniMOOSE
    -Bobdawg
    -Krawfish Klicke
    -Fern

dude told me he's been sold out of their mixtapes for weeks and apologized, he gave me a ghetto pass and pom-poms for my time

• robbed a guy's house solely for records. got some good shit, too. I hate those fucking record "hoarders" that hold records HOSTAGE. Fuck that. dude had at least 20,000 records in his shit ass house and triple that in a shed in the back. I mean, dude could have sold every record he had for 0.50 a pop and it would have surpassed the amount of his home. jeez..

so...

Why you snitchin'on your self ma dude?

statute of limitations....this was at least a decade ago.

• Brothas = Sean Thomas

• i was printing out hardcopies of the entire odeon, musidisc, equipe catalogs listed on GEMM/MARA and checking things off.

I had a folder.

But at the same time, I cant even keep them organized once I get them. I like to say I organize them by thickness.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Yeah, similar experience. When I started making lists of records I wanted.

• When my wife and i were having a money saving talk, and i said, 'i can stop buying records,' and her response was...

'well, that's never going to happen- why don't you work on cutting down.'

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Co-sign with so much of what has already been said. When I gave up drinking one of the best thoughts that kept me straight was all the records I could buy with the piss money I was now saving. Also, when I started booking holiday destinations with my girl based upon the amount of record stores I could hit up while there. The storage thing is a real issue, I am looking at moving house because the one I am in has run out of places to stash vinyl.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I don't have a problem.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I knew I had a problem when I have to look for records when I go on vacation....or if I'm in a place I've never been before I wonder where the records might be....and try to alocate time for finding said records...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

so...

I got this alias down to either JP, Rapedonkeys, or Fatback, can you please please give us one more hint

City: Atlanta
    StateProv: GA

• 1. when i started selling CDs to pay for records.

2. when my close friend/housemate printed out the entire "the-breaks.com" catalog (although this was back when it was ~xombi....com ). put it in a binder, and we just rolled around on weekends crossing shit off, coming home and spending the rest of the evening getting faded and listening.

3. when one of my close friends came to visit me and my housemate and i had an enormous crush on her and hadn't seen her in over a year, and we were deciding what to do, and i excused myself because i had to run an "errand" (to go buy some vinyl...and i didn't even have a job and had no money) and came home that afternoon trying to conceal records behind my back with a sheepish expression on my face and she gave me the 100% deserved "fuck you, that's what you went to do!?" look. never had a chance after that.

4. when i would get in the car every day and drive in a different direction...sometimes all day, at times trying to find certain stores, at times just assuming that there had to be a record store in such-and-such town. and then just repeating my rounds once the spots had been dialed in. (ie. they haven;t gotten any new records in 5 weeks, so this week they've got to be due...etc.)

dark times.

• How about this one. When you start to equate the cost of everything you spend money on to how many records you could get with the same money. "What, go out to dinner, thats like 5 records!"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    How about this one. When you start to equate the cost of everything you spend money on to how many records you could get with the same money. "What, go out to dinner, thats like 5 records!"

I am entering a similar realm. "A week of bringing a lunch for work is about $40 saved. I could buy a medium raer with that..."

I make want lists as well. And it gets bigger every day....and it's riduculous because probably 70% of the records on my want list won't stay permanently in my collection.

• 1. I realized my addiction when I couldn't stop spending all my profit from selling pot on records.

2. Hasn't there been countless discussions about how stealing records is no matter what! I remember people getting over this topic.

3. I would steal records, but it would have to be a very condusive situation. Someone I hatt+ records i want + me having no money + easy accsess + anger may = stolen records. I have only stole records once, at a swap/convention when i was 17, from some asshole mind you. Never again i told myself, i accually felt bad......no jokes.

STEALING IS BAD

• 2. when my close friend/housemate printed out the entire "the-breaks.com" catalog (although this was back when it was ~xombi....com ). put it in a binder, and we just rolled around on weekends crossing shit off, coming home and spending the rest of the evening getting faded and listening.

I've done this. Actually, it's only in a word doc, but I copy and pasted it all.
    I think my girlfriend was at work and I had no internet at home.

How about this one. When you start to equate the cost of everything you spend money on to how many records you could get with the same money. "What, go out to dinner, thats like 5 records!"

I do this all the time.
    Especially when people talk about how much they spend on things I have no interest in (like clothes).
    As in "I spent $200 on these Nikes"
    Me thinking "I could probably get 2 of my main wants for that much...."
    A few of my good mates have forked out for nice pushbikes recently. They're cool and all, but $800 for something that you'll leave out and probably get stolen....that's a shitload of records...or a good mixer.....or a Technics...

I'm not too bad, I buy records when I have the money, but I've been broke lately so I haven't been shopping or digging for a month. I did, however, start a new job yesterday, so I'm going to hit the flea market on Sunday.

I've noticed lately I'm being introduced as
    "this is Josh, y'know, the guy with all the records".

Oh, I just thought of one. I really feel like an addict when I'm out with a girl and she'll say "Oh, they have records in there, wanna take a look?" so I'll shrug and act like it's not a big deal, then proceed to flick through every crate/box no matter how long it takes, while looking up, seeing she's getting shitty, but still having to keep looking.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    1. I realized my addiction when I couldn't stop spending all my profit from selling pot on records.

aka money-laundering

• My friend told me he had never witnessed someone go through such a transformation, and become so obsessed with something.
    My gf at the time told me I was just a "ball of funk".

They both knew me before I got into it. Now it's hard to imagine that there was ever a time when I wasn't.

When I began to realize how much there was out there, and that I could actually obtain some of it, I literally had trouble sleeping I was so pumped.

I felt like I had pretty much wasted 19 years of my life that I could have been looking for records.
    My "problem" is not that I am addicted, it's that I don't own it all.

• In my senior year as a psych major, I chose to do my two term papers on Obsessions and Addictions in order to understand my own condition better.

I think I had more of an obsession, because I was experiencing uncontrollable intrusive thoughts (hard to focus on anything else without thoughts of songs and records popping up in my head), and compulsive behavior (digging at every chance).

Addictions really have more to do with withdrawal symptoms, which I wasn't really having.

After all the reasearch, I was really hoping I had a "Positive Addiction", but my symptoms didn't really fit the bill.

William Glasser's idea of the Positive Addiction is fascinating. Basically, it's an addiction to something that is beneficial to your life. The most common ones are running and meditation, but he also lists many other things including listening to or playing music.

One of the main differences between positive and negative addictions is that people with negative addictions would do their addictive behavior 24 hours a day if they could (drugs, gambling), whereas positive addicts only really want about one hour a day. Also, their addiction helps them with the other aspects in their life.
    There is an example of a runner (ever hear of a "runner's high?") who hates running more than anything in the world, except missing their morning run. But the fact that he/she does this thing they hate everyday makes everything else in their life seem like cake, which is why Glasser says Positive Addictions can make people stronger and better able to handle stress. He highly recommends it and says they are common among self-actualized people, and they can be developed with a little work.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    when i had to move back to my mams for a while. she wouldn,t let me bring all my records and i had to store some of them in a friends attic.